ADVERTISEMENT

IU again faces a tough season-opening opponent...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
With the season opener against Auburn about three weeks away, IU will find out quickly how things stand early on with their team. Auburn is ranked No. 22 in the Baseball America preseason poll and just missed out in the D1Baseball Top 25 poll. Auburn was hit hard by the draft, losing eight players to it, but they had a recruiting class that was ranked No. 6 by one recruiting source. I don't know much about their returning players or their portal transfers, but the high respect they have going into the season is based a lot on potential, and we will certainly learn more about the team as the opener nears. Being a SEC team, they have a big baseball fan base and they have already sold out their season tickets.

I just thought I would post a little bit about Auburn since we open the season against them.

I think IU’s young position players will play a lot of confidence this season.
They should be more consistent this year, with fewer low scoring games.
IU should outscore many squads even with average pitching.

Go Hoosiers.

The way too early weather forecast for Friday is a high of 52 with the game time (6 p.m. CT/7 p.m. ET) temp at around 45 degrees with the temp around 40 degrees around 9 p.m. (CT) and wind somewhere around 10-15 mph. Plenty of time for all of that to change. No precip.

Last edited:
The way too early weather forecast for Friday is a high of 52 with the game time (6 p.m. CT/7 p.m. ET) temp at around 45 degrees with the temp around 40 degrees around 9 p.m. (CT) and wind somewhere around 10-15 mph. Plenty of time for all of that to change. No precip.
Looks like game times have been moved up a few hours this weekend. IU site now lists Friday game a 5ET/4 local. Gotta keep those southern guys warm.

Also I think IU has released the final 2023 roster. Thirty nine players with 20 pitchers and 6 catchers. I heard Coach Mercer say on a recent interview that there would be around a 65 pitch count and at least to start the season they may go TBD on Sundays. I expect, and hope, barring injuries most of the 20 pitches will get looks before conference play starts. Also expect situational shuffling for lefty/righty match ups, and outfield defense with late leads (hoping we have some early season).

I saw that LHP Ben Seiler will be on the mound on Friday to open the season. Last season at Siena, he had 80.2 IP with an ERA of 4.35 and a WHIP of 1.45. He had 86 SO with 28 BB and an OBA of .266. Bothwell will be on the mound on Saturday, but I guess they haven't announced a Sunday starter yet. So far, I haven't seen anything about who will be on the mound for Auburn.

Updated weather outlook is a temp of 52 at game time and mostly sunny after a morning of light showers and some breeze.

Last edited:
I saw that LHP Ben Seiler will be on the mound on Friday to open the season. Last season at Siena, he had 80.2 IP with an ERA of 4.35 and a WHIP of 1.45. He had 86 SO with 28 BB and an OBA of .266. Bothwell will be on the mound on Saturday, but I guess they haven't announced a Sunday starter yet. So far, I haven't seen anything about who will be on the mound for Auburn.

Updated weather outlook is a temp of 52 at game time and mostly sunny after a morning of light showers and some breeze.
Based on Auburn’s fall report on D1 baseball it looked like Joesph Gonzalez a Jr right-hander who was 7-4 with 3.22 last year and Chase Allsup So right-hander with 3.38 ERA as a reliever, who looked strong in the fall would head the rotation. Comment in a recent interview seemed to indicate it would be Allsup Friday and Gonzalez Saturday, with a freshman Zach Crotchfelt going Sunday. The fall report mentioned several guys with good potential.

Coach Mercer mentioned several guys who would be possibles for Sunday but wouldn’t be held out of competitive games Friday or Saturday as with pitch count no one was looking at a complete game.

Based on Auburn’s fall report on D1 baseball it looked like Joesph Gonzalez a Jr right-hander who was 7-4 with 3.22 last year and Chase Allsup So right-hander with 3.38 ERA as a reliever, who looked strong in the fall would head the rotation. Comment in a recent interview seemed to indicate it would be Allsup Friday and Gonzalez Saturday, with a freshman Zach Crotchfelt going Sunday. The fall report mentioned several guys with good potential.

Coach Mercer mentioned several guys who would be possibles for Sunday but wouldn’t be held out of competitive games Friday or Saturday as with pitch count no one was looking at a complete game.
Here are the starting pitchers for Auburn during the series. You nailed the first two starters. The Sunday starter will also be a freshman.

Friday – So. RHP Chase Allsup (0-0, 0.00) vs. Sr LHP Ben Seiler (0-0, 0.00)

Saturday – Jr. RHP Joeseph Gonzalez (0-0, 0.00) vs. R-Sr. LHP Ty Bothwell (0-0, 0.00)

Sunday – Fr. LHP Drew Nelson (0-0, 0.00) vs. TBA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT