ADVERTISEMENT

IU Admin Needs To Get It Right

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
Going back all the way to Lee Corso, I never understood the IU Administration's approach to hiring an established Football Coach and winning football games. Including Lee Corso, we have had 9 HC's at IU. Of those 9, only 3 (Mallory, DiNardo, & Corso) had any Power 5 HC experience to lead a team against the best college programs in the country. Also, Hep had HC experience from Miami, OH.

When are we going to assemble a football staff like we did for basketball?

Regardless of schedules & injuries, we have looked poorly coached from the opening kick at Iowa. By the end of the half, I posted that we were a 3-9 team. Injuries were not an excuse the initial few games. Mistakes, poor schemes, lack of of player development, being out-maned up-front & etc.. etc.. While the majority of the blame falls directly on CTA, this season has been full of poor coaching and poor decisions by the entire staff. It just really seems like amatuer hour right now.

Like so many on the inside claim, IU can't attract good established head coaches. I think that is total BS.

We have the digs now; scrap the staff, & hire an established Head Football Coach. Like the Aamco guy said; "you can pay me now or later". Do you honestly think that IU Football will be in a good direction over the next 2-3 seasons with CTA driving the bus? We should at least be talking to people?

Look at basketball since Knight, except for Mike Davis (which I believe was a special circumstance), when has the IU Administration hired a Head Basketball coach with no to very little HC experience. Never, Never again.. We hired three guys with super credentials (Woody, Matta, and Fife) to get the program turned in the right direction. Hell, Teri Moran had great HC experience at the lower levels; look what she has done.

All IU Football gets is a high number of coaches with little to no HC experience. This recipe does not work in the Big Ten.. As an IU Alum, all I ask the IU Administration is to give IU Football the same chances as basketball to succeed. Hire a staff with an established HC. Some guys are HC's and some are not. You don't hire someone & hope that they turn into one. Not at this level..

Corso came from Louiville which wasn't close to Power 5 status at that time

Reactions: DANC
Going back all the way to Lee Corso, I never understood the IU Administration's approach to hiring an established Football Coach and winning football games. Including Lee Corso, we have had 9 HC's at IU. Of those 9, only 3 (Mallory, DiNardo, & Corso) had any Power 5 HC experience to lead a team against the best college programs in the country. Also, Hep had HC experience from Miami, OH.

Regardless of schedules & injuries, we have looked poorly coached from the opening kick at Iowa. By the end of the half, I posted that we were a 3-9 team. Injuries were not an excuse the initial few games. Mistakes, poor schemes, lack of of player development, being out-maned up-front & etc.. etc.. While the majority of the blame falls directly on CTA, this season has been full of poor coaching and poor decisions by the entire staff. It just really seems like amatuer hour right now.

Like so many on the inside claim, IU can't attract good established head coaches. I think that is total BS.

We have the digs now; scrap the staff, & hire an established Head Football Coach. Like the Aamco guy said; "you can pay me now or later". Do you honestly think that IU Football will be in a good direction over the next 2-3 seasons with CTA driving the bus? We should at least be talking to people?

Look at basketball since Knight, except for Mike Davis (which I believe was a special circumstance), when has the IU Administration hired a Head Basketball coach with no to very little HC experience. Never, Never again.. We hired three guys with super credentials (Woody, Matta, and Fife) to get the program turned in the right direction. Hell, Teri Moran had great HC experience at the lower levels; look what she has done.

All IU Football gets is a high number of coaches with little to no HC experience. This recipe does not work in the Big Ten.. As an IU Alum, all I ask the IU Administration is to give IU Football the same chances as basketball to succeed. Hire a staff with an established HC. Some guys are HC's and some are not. You don't hire someone & hope that they turn into one. Not at this level..
Yes, I think coach Allen can build IUFB program but he needs to make some difficult coaching changes and that can include who he is comfortable bringing in as assistant coaches. Offense has been a problem with every OC he has brought in except coach DeBoer that had no direct connection to coach Allen. If coach Allen can make the needed changes on offense and bring in quality people with very good results in previous coaching stints then IUFB will be improving. If coach can't do this then yes I will think he isn't the coach that can turn IU around.

Indiana must move all in if they want an upper tier football program. They have certainly loosened the purse strings in the last few years but prior to that, they were trying to operate on a shoestring budget.

Give Tom Allen an appropriate budget to hire high quality coaches for the offense. Indiana needs to understand that to compete and knock off UM, MSU, OSU, PSU, etc., they better be willing to move all in on football. You can't be half committed, it just doesn't work.

Good luck getting a good coach to have any interest in coaching for the losing-est program in college football after you fire last season's coach of the year after he had the two best years in decades for the program and you handed him a long extension, all because of one bad year.

You'll be laughed out of the interview room by any coach worth a damn if you try to justify that decision, and rightfully so. And that's if they even find enough humor in it to waste their time showing up in the first place.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ, we just had two of the best seasons in the HISTORY of the program. We need an offensive overhaul for sure, but don't be stupid.

We were in the top 10 (for the first time in 52 years) LAST YEAR.

I need to ban myself from these boards. Good lord.

I might be able to be convinced to join a “replace Allen” movement if

1) the last 2 years were losing seasons
2) Allen didn’t have a record of hiring DeBoer
3) there weren’t a $24 Mil buyout

Allen’s in no danger. Allen shouldn’t be in danger—yet. And there are about 24 million reasons why it doesn’t even matter whether he should be or not.

But I do get concerned when TA talks about having a “ball control offense” because I think trying to build an offense at IU in 2021 and beyond that can consistently control the ball against tOSU, UM, PSU and MSU is probably an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
IU was in the top 10 for a hop, skip, and a jump last year. Hope it was worth it, because it sure as hell ain't worth the contract extension and subsequent buyout Tom Allen currently enjoys. IU football will be set back another 100 years by the time IU can afford to fire Allen.

Last year was a complete fluke, clearly.

I might be able to be convinced to join a “replace Allen” movement if

1) the last 2 years were losing seasons
2) Allen didn’t have a record of hiring DeBoer
3) there weren’t a $24 Mil buyout

Allen’s in no danger. Allen shouldn’t be in danger—yet. And there are about 24 million reasons why it doesn’t even matter whether he should be or not.

But I do get concerned when TA talks about having a “ball control offense” because I think trying to build an offense at IU in 2021 and beyond that can consistently control the ball against tOSU, UM, PSU and MSU is probably an exercise in futility.
I've come around to the concept that we need to have an "attacking" Offense that's multiple enough to utilize some version of a consistent Running Game that's set up by the passing game...

It also seems clear (to me anyway) that Tom Allen needs to stay away from the Offensive Game Planning completely...

Two accurate complaints about his coaching are his time management and a lack of knowledge about constructing an Offense... Shoring up those two shortcomings should be an extraordinarily easy fix if his ego will allow it...: simply hire a decent OC and let Him hire the staff he needs to make his Offense work and then designate someone/anyone other than himself to make the time management calls in real time (he wouldn't have to tell anyone this was happening it could remain between him and whoever he designated to do it)...

This setup would allow him to more closely monitor the Defense, Special Teams and Recruiting which all seem to be theoretical areas of strength for him...

Let's hope the light bulb turns on and he initiates those two seemingly easy fixes (actually, finding the Right guy(s) to run the Offense is probably anything but easy but conceptually it is)...

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Good luck getting a good coach to have any interest in coaching for the losing-est program in college football after you fire last season's coach of the year after he had the two best years in decades for the program and you handed him a long extension, all because of one bad year.

You'll be laughed out of the interview room by any coach worth a damn if you try to justify that decision, and rightfully so. And that's if they even find enough humor in it to waste their time showing up in the first place.
He's had 2 Coordinators leave to become head coaches.

That's a lot of incentive right there, and proves IU can be an attractive job.

I've come around to the concept that we need to have an "attacking" Offense that's multiple enough to utilize some version of a consistent Running Game that's set up by the passing game...

It also seems clear (to me anyway) that Tom Allen needs to stay away from the Offensive Game Planning completely...

Two accurate complaints about his coaching are his time management and a lack of knowledge about constructing an Offense... Shoring up those two shortcomings should be an extraordinarily easy fix if his ego will allow it...: simply hire a decent OC and let Him hire the staff he needs to make his Offense work and then designate someone/anyone other than himself to make the time management calls in real time (he wouldn't have to tell anyone this was happening it could remain between him and whoever he designated to do it)...

This setup would allow him to more closely monitor the Defense, Special Teams and Recruiting which all seem to be theoretical areas of strength for him...

Let's hope the light bulb turns on and he initiates those two seemingly easy fixes (actually, finding the Right guy(s) to run the Offense is probably anything but easy but conceptually it is)...
Special Teams have never been special since he's been here.

We used to have decent kick returners - guys who could break it open. We haven't had that in a while.

Jesus Christ, we just had two of the best seasons in the HISTORY of the program. We need an offensive overhaul for sure, but don't be stupid.

I need to ban myself from these boards. Good lord.
As you used to say when you were a frequent contributor, IU football has the dumbest fans.

Good post.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My post was about firing Allen and trying to replace him, which is (I thought) what the OP was suggesting. Not about hiring new coordinators.
I was responding to this: "Good luck getting a good coach to have any interest in coaching for the losing-est program in college football"

• Haha
Reactions: Bowlmania

We used to have decent kick returners - guys who could break it open. We haven't had that in a while.
Special teams are also the area where it’s usually the easiest for struggling or mediocre teams to make the quickest improvements-with the right coaching.

To a large extent that’s how Beamer was able to make Va Tech competitive in the early years while he and his staff were still building their offense and defense.

I was responding to this: "Good luck getting a good coach to have any interest in coaching for the losing-est program in college football"
If you fire the coach that's had the most success here of anyone in decades after one down year, yeah, good luck.

They aren't going to care about the success Allen was able to have if the school shows so little commitment to the program that they fire the coach that had that success after one bad season. Why would they think IU would treat them any differently the first time they had a rough year?

Special teams are also the area where it’s usually the easiest for struggling or mediocre teams to make the quickest improvements-with the right coaching.

To a large extent that’s how Beamer was able to make Va Tech competitive in the early years while he and his staff were still building their offense and defense.
Mallory also seriously upgraded Special Teams while he was here. And yes, we got burned by VATech's Special Teams. I was there and witnessed the destruction of all Mallory built in about 2 minutes. We were never the same after halftime of the Poulon Weedeater Bowl.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
If you fire the coach that's had the most success here of anyone in decades after one down year, yeah, good luck.

They aren't going to care about the success Allen was able to have if the school shows so little commitment to the program that they fire the coach that had that success after one bad season. Why would they think IU would treat them any differently the first time they had a rough year?
Well, I agree if they fire Allen. But that's not going to happen.

Reactions: 76-1
Mallory also seriously upgraded Special Teams while he was here. And yes, we got burned by VATech's Special Teams. I was there and witnessed the destruction of all Mallory built in about 2 minutes. We were never the same after halftime of the Poulon Weedeater Bowl.
I’ll never forget the look on Mallory’s face as things went off the rails in that game

One correction here. A sucessful campaign this season would require a healthy and effective Penix both physically and mentally. This is what virtually every expert said.

From the first snap is was obvilus that he was not back from his injuries.

This was table stakes for sucess and he wasn't a shadow of himself sadly.

You were and are dead wrong. We're a 2-10 team

One correction here. A sucessful campaign this season would require a healthy and effective Penix both physically and mentally. This is what virtually every expert said.

From the first snap is was obvilus that he was not back from his injuries.

This was table stakes for sucess and he wasn't a shadow of himself sadly.
Even with a healthy Penix, some of those plays we ran were just bizarre.

And we still run them - the one where the QB is rolling out and the RB is the lead blocker. When the tackler closes in on the QB, he's supposed to flip it to the RB.

That play has rarely worked, yet we keep running it.

Last edited:
Indiana must move all in if they want an upper tier football program. They have certainly loosened the purse strings in the last few years but prior to that, they were trying to operate on a shoestring budget.

Give Tom Allen an appropriate budget to hire high quality coaches for the offense. Indiana needs to understand that to compete and knock off UM, MSU, OSU, PSU, etc., they better be willing to move all in on football. You can't be half committed, it just doesn't work.
Indiana's season was a complete shock to me as I am sure it is for everyone else. I had IU finishing in the top three of the east division. I posted on the MSU board that if IU had a successful 2021 season, combined with the recruiting class they were bringing in, Tom Allen was establishing a solid foundation for future success. My ifs included the offensive line improving its level of play, and Penix being able to stay healthy the entire season. Neither happened and all the promise evaporated.

As an outsider I believe Tom Allen can be a successful coach and build a sustainable, competitive program, but that will involve him having to make some changes to his staff. Dantonio's loyalty was his eventual downfall, as he refused to release under performing coaches. If Allen maintains that same attitude and not make the needed changes the program will have more below .500 seasons than bowl eligible seasons. I also don't believe firing Allen is warranted at this point. I hear the argument that IU needs to open up the pocket book and spend the money to hire a named coach. How much are they truly able to spend and how much are they willing to spend? MSU is reportedly renegotiating Mel Tuckers contract and will be giving him a ten year, $95 million contract. Is he worth that? The jury is still out. In reality he has only had one winning season, ever. This new salary will make him the highest paid coach in the conference. Is IU capable of offering a head coach 6, 7, or 8 million per year, and still have enough to hire quality coaches?

Indiana's season was a complete shock to me as I am sure it is for everyone else. I had IU finishing in the top three of the east division. I posted on the MSU board that if IU had a successful 2021 season, combined with the recruiting class they were bringing in, Tom Allen was establishing a solid foundation for future success. My ifs included the offensive line improving its level of play, and Penix being able to stay healthy the entire season. Neither happened and all the promise evaporated.

As an outsider I believe Tom Allen can be a successful coach and build a sustainable, competitive program, but that will involve him having to make some changes to his staff. Dantonio's loyalty was his eventual downfall, as he refused to release under performing coaches. If Allen maintains that same attitude and not make the needed changes the program will have more below .500 seasons than bowl eligible seasons. I also don't believe firing Allen is warranted at this point. I hear the argument that IU needs to open up the pocket book and spend the money to hire a named coach. How much are they truly able to spend and how much are they willing to spend? MSU is reportedly renegotiating Mel Tuckers contract and will be giving him a ten year, $95 million contract. Is he worth that? The jury is still out. In reality he has only had one winning season, ever. This new salary will make him the highest paid coach in the conference. Is IU capable of offering a head coach 6, 7, or 8 million per year, and still have enough to hire quality coaches?
We offered Brad Stevens around $10 million a year for basketball. That wasn't enough.

We've got the money if Dolson can milk the high rollers enough.

But getting rid of Allen now just isn't an option.

You may be able to get a coach towards the end of his career looking for a challenge to build knowing that he'll turn it over in n years.

Otherwise, I fear Indiana is stuck with problematic coaches (DiNardo) or unproven but promising coaches from smaller schools.

You may be able to get a coach towards the end of his career looking for a challenge to build knowing that he'll turn it over in n years.

Otherwise, I fear Indiana is stuck with problematic coaches (DiNardo) or unproven but promising coaches from smaller schools.
Deboer is welcome back any time.

You hope...

Deboer is welcome back any time.
sounds like he’s a serious candidate at Washington and Fresno has been quietly preparing for a while now for the possibility of losing him—if not to U-Dub then maybe to Wash State (meh) or even USC if anyone there had a clue about hiring football coaches

We blocked a punt this year for the first time in a while. KO and Punt returns require a knack and speed to accomplish very good returns along with good blocking. One reason for the lack of returns is because coach Heard doesn't seem to go after shifty fast receivers as we only get taller receivers most of the time.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT