ADVERTISEMENT

Its been almost a decade since Gregg Marshall has coached WSU to a 10 loss season.

Yeah, he has one of the most impressive resumes in college basketball.

Did you know how many NCAA tournaments Winthrop went to before Marshall?

Zero

Then Marshall went 7 out of 9 years.

Wanna know how many they've gone to since he left?

Two

He's the all time winningest coach at both programs.

He's a monster coach. He'd be our Bo Ryan and have us challenging for national championships over then next ten to fifteen years with the talents could attract here.

Zero

Two

He's a monster coach. He'd be our Bo Ryan and have us challenging for national championships over then next ten to fifteen years with the talents could attract here.
The second Glass would ask him if he'd be willing to be a little nicer to the players and refs, Marshall would end the interview and run from the building.

He doesn't like to play nice with alumni.....something that is a requirement at IU.

There is no perfect coach (maybe Stevens).....and I would take Marshall in a heart beat, but he makes a ton of money already and I just don't think he wants to deal with the off the court responsibilities required at IU. You definitely call after Stevens and Donovan and maybe Bennett say no.

He doesn't like to play nice with alumni.....something that is a requirement at IU.

There is no perfect coach (maybe Stevens).....and I would take Marshall in a heart beat, but he makes a ton of money already and I just don't think he wants to deal with the off the court responsibilities required at IU. You definitely call after Stevens and Donovan and maybe Bennett say no.
Archie Miller would probably take it, as would Mack. But Stevens, Donovan, Bennett, Marshall, Sean Miller, there's no chance. And I'm not sure A. Miller or Mack would fit the profile Glass would want. Doubt that it matters anyway, at least until next year.

but the alumni could take the abuse if we were a relevant program. they would welcome the abuse. Please, sir, may I have another...

Archie Miller would probably take it, as would Mack. But Stevens, Donovan, Bennett, Marshall, Sean Miller, there's no chance. And I'm not sure A. Miller or Mack would fit the profile Glass would want. Doubt that it matters anyway, at least until next year.

S Miller, Donovan, and Stevens....I agree....the others have a better chance than 0.

That might be 25%....but it's better than 0. For example, Bennett makes 2.1 million a year, i pretty sure he will think about it if IU offers 5 million a year. People keep forgetting how much IU could throw at these coaches.

S Miller, Donovan, and Stevens....I agree....the others have a better chance than 0.

That might be 25%....but it's better than 0. For example, Bennett makes 2.1 million a year, i pretty sure he will think about it if IU offers 5 million a year. People keep forgetting how much IU could throw at these coaches.
Bennett might use it to get more money from UVA, but he's not coming to IU and IU isn't throwing $5 million at any coach.

Bennett might use it to get more money from UVA, but he's not coming to IU and IU isn't throwing $5 million at any coach.

Don't be surprised if the next IU coach is one of the top 3 or 4 in the nation (6 or 8 million a year), Crean is 9th right now for goodness sake.

Just for reference ONE alumni donated the 30 million for the renovations to the Hall. ONE.

How is that possible? That's what Fred Glass does....REALLY well....raise money.

And that doesn't count the B10 network money, which is currently 35 million a year and will continue to rise.

The next IU coach will make 5 million or more....who wants it?

Don't be surprised if the next IU coach is one of the top 3 or 4 in the nations (6 or 8 million a year)

Just for reference ONE alumni donated the 30 million for the renovations to the Hall. ONE.

How is that possible? That's what Fred Glass does....REALLY well....raise money.

And that doesn't count the B10 network money, which is currently 35 million a year and will continue to rise.

The next IU coach will make 5 million or more....who wants it?
You have absolutely no way of knowing that. None. And Cindy donated $40 million. And she loves Crean. And it's "alumna", not "alumni".

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. None. And Cindy donated $40 million. And she loves Crean. And it's "alumna", not "alumni".

LOL

Do you have any idea how much money has been spent on athletics the last 2 years? This isn't the tight wad IU from 20 years ago.

Have you drove by the football stadium right now? They took down the score board and replacing it with something new...right now.

IU has the highest recruiting budget in the NATION.

Let's put it like this.....Crean makes 3.2 million a year and was given that in 2012....5 years ago.

You think they are going to offer the new coach more than that? Less? lol

And Bennett just got a raise.....for 2.1 million. Virgina's athletic department can't touch IU. Thank the B10 network for that

LOL

Do you have any idea how much money has been spent on athletics the last 2 years? This isn't the tight wad IU from 20 years ago.

Have you drove by the football stadium right now? They took down the score board and replacing it with something new...right now.

IU has the highest recruiting budget in the NATION.

Let's put it like this.....Crean makes 3.2 million a year and was given that in 2012....5 years ago.

You think they are going to offer the new coach more than that? Less? lol

And Bennett just got a raise.....for 2.1 million. Virgina's athletic department can't touch IU. Thank the B10 network for that
Yes, I've "drive" by the stadium and am otherwise well aware of the money IU is spending on athletic facilities. Nonetheless, they won't spend that on the next coach. As for Bennett, you obviously aren't aware of his rather negative view of IU, are you?

Yes, I've "drive" by the stadium and am otherwise well aware of the money IU is spending on athletic facilities. Nonetheless, they won't spend that on the next coach. As for Bennett, you obviously aren't aware of his rather negative view of IU, are you?

I'm typing this on my phone, I apologize for my spelling....lol

His sister was fired in 2005 by Greenspan and there were problems with her health and Greenspan apparently treated her poorly.

In 2008, Greenspan called Bennett after firing Sampson. Bennett thought about it and turned it down. Of course, because this was the guy that treated his sister poorly, IU hadn't received all its penalties, and Bo Ryan wasn't going to be at Wisconsin forever.

Fast forward to now.....9 years later....

Not a single person from those events are at IU anymore and Gard is at Wisconsin.

Does Bennett still hold a grudge and isn't willing to listen even if it's going to more than double his pay? Let's find out....

You don't know squat either kid.....so settle down and stop being so damn negative. :)

Reactions: C_Point

His sister was fired in 2005 by Greenspan and there were problems with her health and Greenspan apparently treated her poorly.

In 2008, Greenspan called Bennett after firing Sampson. Bennett thought about it and turned it down. Of course, because this was the guy that treated his sister poorly, IU hadn't received all its penalties, and Bo Ryan wasn't going to be at Wisconsin forever.

Not a single person from those events are at IU anymore and Gard is at Wisconsin.

Does Bennett still hold a grudge and isn't willing to listen even if it's going to more than double his pay? Let's find out....

You don't know squat either kid.....so settle down and stop being so damn negative. :)
Most importantly, Bennett loves UVA and isn't leaving to come to IU. He's in a great gig in a great basketball conference at an elite university. If he leaves Charlottesville, it will be because there's an opening in Madison.

Most importantly, Bennett loves UVA and isn't leaving to come to IU. He's in a great gig in a great basketball conference at an elite university. If he leaves Charlottesville, it will be because there's an opening in Madison.

They said the exact same thing when he was at Washington State.

I'm not saying Bennett is coming, but I'm also saying the chance is better than 0.

They said the exact same thing when he was at Washington State.

I'm not saying Bennett is coming, but I'm also saying the chance is better than 0.
They said nothing of the sort at Washington State. That was always a stepping stone to a higher profile job.

Zero

Two

Winthrop is my Alma Mater....and basketball before Marshall arrived was pretty good on the DII level....Winthrop was a College...became a university and also bumped to Division I. Marshall definitely put them on the map. He's not my first choice..but he's in the Top 5.

A small piece of trivia...Winthrop at one time was the state "womens" college and considered a teachers school....It was all-female. Even at the time I studied at Winthrop, many years ago...the ratio was about 4 to 1....worked out just fine for the fellas.

Last edited:
Sigh.....

You win......lol
Dude, it's just basketball chat. People get way too wound up about things here. The football guys flipped when a couple of us dared to suggest that next year might be a rebuilding one, as if iu football hasn't been rebuilding for decades. And if they disagree with you, you're instantly branded as someone else. Must be a weather beaten fan base. lol

no it's not

Ahhh, actually he is right per Grammarly.com.

Alumni is the plural noun for a group of male graduates or male and female graduates. An alumnus is one male graduate. An alumna is one female graduate. And for a group of female graduates, you can use the plural alumnae.

Ahhh, actually he is right per Grammarly.com.

Alumni is the plural noun for a group of male graduates or male and female graduates. An alumnus is one male graduate. An alumna is one female graduate. And for a group of female graduates, you can use the plural alumnae.
Actually, I'm a "she", but you're otherwise spot on with this.

Winthrop is my Alma Mater....and basketball before Marshall arrived was pretty good on the DII level....Winthrop was a College...became a university and also bumped to Division I. Marshall definitely put them on the map. He's not my first choice..but he's in the Top 5.

A small piece of trivia...Winthrop at one time was the state "womens" college and considered a teachers school....It was all-female. Even at the time I studied at Winthrop, many years ago...the ratio was about 4 to 1....worked out just fine for the fellas.

Ha ha reminds me of my first company out of college (Kelley 1996) up here in cold Minneapolis.

I came in a class of about 30. 25 were girls and 5 were dudes. Two of those dudes were gay and it kindof fit the company make up. One guy was worried about it...Myself and the other were like 'yeah, nice'. Lol

The idea of Gregg Marshall going to Illinois to face IU is not a good one for me. In my mind, he's been the best candidate since the day Stevens went to Boston. If IU could land him, he would succeed. He's a no nonsense guy and would have no problem talking with typical Indiana high school coaches. And the talent pool is big enough that he could win at IU without drawing too many 5-star guys. Other than Marshall not wanting the job, I don't see the downside of going after him.

One thing I watched for this year was how WSU would respond to losing the first round to Illinois St. and essentially put themselves in a difficult spot having lost all of their key non-conference match ups. Well, they absolutely spanked them in the 2nd game and tied for the conference lead with the win. Marshall is a heck of a coach.

Reactions: IU Scott

I don't pretend to know the relationship Bennett has with IU. But I have watched his squads for many years and I believe with the fertile recruiting available and his hoops philosophy, banners would be hung if he came here.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Virginia is a football school. That is what the university and state have a passion for.

I don't pretend to know the relationship Bennett has with IU. But I have watched his squads for many years and I believe with the fertile recruiting available and his hoops philosophy, banners would be hung if he came here.

Bennett is a super star coach. I wanted him in 2008 but the consensus was that he was too boring.

He'd be a monster at IU...hell he already is at Virginia.

I, like many others, don't think he gives a flying f about IU over his current situation.

But I'd run around my neighborhood naked in the winter if we got him.

Reactions: HOOS13R
Bennett is a super star coach. I wanted him in 2008 but the consensus was that he was too boring.

He'd be a monster at IU...hell he already is at Virginia.

I, like many others, don't think he gives a flying f about IU over his current situation.

But I'd run around my neighborhood naked in the winter if we got him.

He makes 2.1 million a year and that's after a raise last summer. Crean makes over a million a year more right now at 3.2 million a year. Would Bennett give a flying f for 4 million a year? 5 million a year? 6 million a year?

The biggest factor IMO with Bennett is the Wisconsin job.....and that isn't opening up anytime soon.

Glass must make that call right after Stevens and Donovan say no and offer a blank check to Bennett. Will he take it? Who knows....but you offer it anyway.

Glass's legacy is riding on this one hire....and he knows it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT