ADVERTISEMENT

It happens every Year....

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
one of our best players gets hurt, suspended or drops off the team to give us that old feeling of getting kicked in the NutSack,(Lucy and the football trick) then we spend the rest of the year wondering what if! Who do you all think is the most irreplaceable player or players on this team?
I for one, love the depth CCC has built up and hopefully losing one key player will not have the catastrophic effect like previous seasons. A couple guys that I would hate to lose would be Rourke or Carter Smith. Here's hoping for a healthy productive year!
Go Hoosiers!

one of our best players gets hurt, suspended or drops off the team to give us that old feeling of getting kicked in the NutSack,(Lucy and the football trick) then we spend the rest of the year wondering what if! Who do you all think is the most irreplaceable player or players on this team?
I for one, love the depth CCC has built up and hopefully losing one key player will not have the catastrophic effect like previous seasons. A couple guys that I would hate to lose would be Rourke or Carter Smith. Here's hoping for a healthy productive year!
Go Hoosiers!
We ain’t losing guys to injury this year. It’s the new Indiana.
The D-lineman I’m expecting to play a big piece is Carpenter…..and he played the last half of last season at JMU with an injured shoulder. I got a feeling a lot of these guys would have to be hauled off on a golf cart not to be playing.

Go Hoosiers!
I can’t help but think that CCC’s practice philosophy, where he intentionally doesn’t use all the allowed practices and focuses on getting the work done efficiently, is intended to reduce the number of injuries during spring and fall practice periods.

Go Hoosiers!
I just saw today that Rourke's brother was cut by the Falcons. That is at least the third team he has tried out for this year. I wonder if we might see him at some games this season.

I just saw today that Rourke's brother was cut by the Falcons. That is at least the third team he has tried out for this year. I wonder if we might see him at some games this season.

Might be nice to bring him in as an "Analyst" and have a near pro arm occasionally throwing against the DB's in practice (thought I read somewhere that analysts could be out on the practice field this year [but I may have just dreamed that]*....

One more set of eyes doing future opponent analysis seemingly couldn't hurt things either...

Seemingly a Win, Win for all concerned...; he stays employed and in shape (in case of a mid-season pro Emergency call up), he's stays semi-ready to try out for the pros again next year, and he gets to dip his toe in the coaching waters, which he may find to his liking...

Who knows..., he might even learn something while he's here that could give him the edge he needs to make a pro team next season...

*Turns out I didn't dream it, it's a reality:

Last edited:
We're still "Indiana"...really any starter that goes down is going to impact us more than it would most of our peer B10 schools.

And its football, it will happen. That's one of the areas I'm hoping Cignetti's program is better than what we've had for most of our program's history...depth guys being coached and developed well enough to step in and contribute when needed.

Go Hoosiers!
Nothing personal, but I'm not a fan of this type of thinking. Reminds me of the numnuts that announces Reds games. He is incredibly accurate at jynxing his own damn team. "This guy hasn't hit a home run with 2 runners on all season" then boom! Sonuvagun hits a 3-run jack. Let's be more positive this year.

I don't think our depth is very good at all at most positions. Hell, I'm not convinced that the G5 transfers are good enough, outside of 1-2.
It’s the same old story.

The difference in size and strength along the lines between us and the top of the league is not going to change much. They get it all - we get maybe strength but not size, or size but not speed.

Guys try to scheme around this - but then we get a DE or LB who can cover, but not rush, or vice-versa. Calling them "rovers" and 'hybrids" don't change the facts. This is why I liked Wommack so much - he went with speed and blitzed like a crazy man - finally made THEIR QB worry about getting hit or chased, and took his QB game down a notch.

At LB, we never get guys like Micah Parsons.

At corner and safety, we can usually hold our own.

On offense, except for Lewis-to-Hardy, we only go as far as our OL let's us. Even Penix was lesser than he could be. We have QB's who are good enough if protected, RB's who are good enough if they have a hole or lane, and usually decent receivers too. But if you can't block it, you can't throw it WELL or run it WELL. You have to hit the narrow margin of victory offered by playing the middle of the pack, and hope you don't get injuries against the Big 2, 3 or 4 - however many they stick on our schedule.

Last edited:
It’s the same old story.

The difference in size and strength along the lines between us and the top of the league is not going to change much. They get it all - we get maybe strength but not size, or size but not speed.

Guys try to scheme around this - but then we get a DE or LB who can cover, but not rush, or vice-versa. Calling them "rovers" and 'hybrids" don't change the facts. This is why I liked Wommack so much - he went with speed and blitzed like a crazy man - finally made THEIR QB worry about getting hit or chased, and took his QB game down a notch.

On offense, except for Lewis-to-Hardy, we only go as far as our OL let's us. Even Penix was lesser than he could be. We have QB's who are good enough if protected, RB's who are good enough if they have a hole or lane, and usually decent receivers too. But if you can't block it, you can't throw it WELL or run it WELL. You have to hit the narrow margin of victory offered by playing the middle of the pack, and hope you don't get injuries against the Big 2, 3 or 4 - however many they stick on our schedule.

Awesome post. If there are hoops-first fans reading this who are new to following IUFB, you have a somewhat better chance of finding overlooked HS players in football than in basketball. Recruiting is less efficient in FB as their is no true analogue to the AAU teams which exposes talent to everyone in an environment where all players are very talented. HS Offensive linemen can also be tough to project, so you can get lucky there and find an overlooked gem.

It’s the same old story.

Micah McFadden was pretty good.

That hurts! Although with nothing to base it on, I always had the feeling Kidwell was CCC throwing a stalwart trooper a bone, when he brought him along. Knee? :(

Too bad, sounds like a leader among the players. And of course a good lineman from the sound of it.

At least this year, I believe we have an OC and staff who can minimize our weaknesses.

Last edited:
Sure not part of the plan. My outlook though is this. His career has been sprinkled with trouble staying on the field. The offensive staff has adjusted for this rock in the road before and they have BB on board for this trip. Maybe better it happens now than 1 day before the trip to that old stadium in southern California. Just don't think the IU offense can stand a string of these.

So now looking at

LT: Carter Smith
LG: Tyler Stephens
C: Mike Katic
RG: Bray Lynch??
RT: Trey Wedig

I see another offseason of searching for OL transfers. We lose Katic, Wedig, Stephens and Kidwell after this year (unless kidwell gets another medical redshirt). We have 3 incoming hs lineman in the 2025 class but they won't be ready. Although have some young pieces on roster that maybe improve enough to start next year.

My question is does Kidwell get another year......and more importantly, does he want to still play? If so and he comes back next year, it might be better to have Bray Lynch or another young'n step in and get experience. That way next year we aren't replacing the entire OL. Then again, if IU does well, it might be easier to go out and get OL transfers.

So now looking at

I see another offseason of searching for OL transfers. We lose Katic, Wedig, Stephens and Kidwell after this year (unless kidwell gets another medical redshirt). We have 3 incoming hs lineman in the 2025 class but they won't be ready. Although have some young pieces on roster that maybe improve enough to start next year.
Lynch would be my guess as potential replacement. I love the upside of freshman Damola Ajani. Hopefully he gets some reps in some of these tune up games.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
So now looking at

Coach Bostad is high on Austin Barrett RT & a RS Freshman & could insert him in the RT spot & move Trey Wedig to RG, where he has played previously.

Coach Bostad will move any OL player needed to get the best OL on the field. There is time to get them ready and two games to get them live reps. I feel bad for Kidwell but IU will be fine as long as they don't lose any more OL players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT