ADVERTISEMENT

Indy Star - NIL Collective Hoosiers For Good Announces Deals for 11 IU Athletes, $425K in Summer Class

Page is critical. Especially after backing off on Carr. Need to close this one.
I think Nova will be tough to beat for Harris-Smith, but still holding out hope.
If Kaiser chooses Maryland over us... damn, that would hurt.
Getting two of these three would be great adds to the Newton and Cupps class.

Really like that these are service affiliations/endorsements that come with actual work/participation in the greater Bloomington/Indiana community rather than straight-up commercial endorsements for widgets, car dealerships, junk-food outlets and the like. Definite uptick in value for what it means to be an Indiana Hoosier.

Did not expect NIL could/would have this type of positive/constructive impact.

Deals listed are specific/restricted to Hoosiers for Good - guessing there are a lot of 'arrangements' between other Players/entities besides these.
For sure, just seems odd HFG would do a deal with everyone but Anthony. Waiting for the fall block buster deal?
lol

Page is critical. Especially after backing off on Carr. Need to close this one.
I think Nova will be tough to beat for Harris-Smith, but still holding out hope.
If Kaiser chooses Maryland over us... damn, that would hurt.
Getting two of these three would be great adds to the Newton and Cupps class.
Has anyone talked about the reason for backing off of Carr?

There are new connections made to charities each semester. This is a really good program. Encourage everyone to send in what you can even if it is just $50.
For sure donate to HFG. If you donate to Hoosiers hysterics or anything a part of them I might ban you.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
What is the issue with Hoosier Hysteria?
Hoosier hysteria is awesome. Fan fest led by the head clown Eric will be a giant embarrassment, as is every video he posts of his ugly face on Twitter. I hate that IU is associated with the clown, he just doesn’t shut up about look at me look at me. HFG should take most of his donators away, as it is a much more legit and proper way to do NIL.

Is the IUVC looking in any way at donations to HFG or other NIL situations counting for points for IUFB or IUBB tickets? From a selfish perspective, my donations is much better spent giving to IUVC at this point unless something changes...

Is the IUVC looking in any way at donations to HFG or other NIL situations counting for points for IUFB or IUBB tickets? From a selfish perspective, my donations is much better spent giving to IUVC at this point unless something changes...
And that’s the rub, or elephant in the room.

as boosters throw money at players will that be at the expense of the Universities? In other words if you take the programs with giant payrolls, does the fact that boosters are funneling huge money to get players mean that they will then cut back what the give to schools?

reasonable minds can debate this. Imho, it may turn out that NIL creates an inherent conflict of interest between schools and the players that are in effect rented mercenaries.

And that’s the rub, or elephant in the room.

as boosters throw money at players will that be at the expense of the Universities? In other words if you take the programs with giant payrolls, does the fact that boosters are funneling huge money to get players mean that they will then cut back what the give to schools?

reasonable minds can debate this. Imho, it may turn out that NIL creates an inherent conflict of interest between schools and the players that are in effect rented mercenaries.

IU is concerned that dollars will be pulled from IUVC to NIL. If we win however, it won’t matter, because donations will go up to IUVC counteracting any donors giving less. IUVC giving I might be more familiar with than anyone.

My first job was at the IU telefund in 2000-2004. We raised money for all schools, spea, ed, law school, and the varsity club. I was the best at VC, and usually assigned to call those folks. I killed it because I was from Bloomington, loved the general, and loved sports. It probably also helped that I was blessed with a tongue like no other. @ovaltine has been able to admire my public speaking skills for decades now.

Anyways, the amount of support that IU had during the Knight tenure went down like the titanic in the following years. Dollar for dollar IU probably didn’t match the money they raised during Knights last years till just recently.

IUs relevance in basketball, or how good they are, influences a large percentage of alum. If IU were to make a final four this year the IUVC would see a tremendous uptick in donations, while also Seeing a few million a year being donated to HFG.

IU is about to get $50+ million per year more from the BTN contract. They should be focused on the Boosters growing NIL as that BTN money will more than offset any of the loss in donations.

IU is concerned that dollars will be pulled from IUVC to NIL. If we win however, it won’t matter, because donations will go up to IUVC counteracting any donors giving less. IUVC giving I might be more familiar with than anyone.

My first job was at the IU telefund in 2000-2004. We raised money for all schools, spea, ed, law school, and the varsity club. I was the best at VC, and usually assigned to call those folks. I killed it because I was from Bloomington, loved the general, and loved sports. It probably also helped that I was blessed with a tongue like no other. @ovaltine has been able to admire my public speaking skills for decades now.

Anyways, the amount of support that IU had during the Knight tenure went down like the titanic in the following years. Dollar for dollar IU probably didn’t match the money they raised during Knights last years till just recently.

IUs relevance in basketball, or how good they are, influences a large percentage of alum. If IU were to make a final four this year the IUVC would see a tremendous uptick in donations, while also Seeing a few million a year being donated to HFG.
I agree. It’s an interesting dynamic. In pro sports you generally get paid by how good you are and the position you play. A top 3 cornerback gets paid that way.

in college, it’s largely about the uniform. If someone is a starting QB at OSU, they get paid differently than if that same person played for, say, Wabash college. If that conflict of interest really escalated (ie colleges felt that they were losing on NIL), the leverage that they have is to try to fight letting athletes profit off of the school’s likeness and image. In other words, Johnny Buckeye is free to sign a deal with Tesla, but try to limit how Johnny represents himself (ie protect the schools trademarks, or be compensated when Johnny is wearing OSU stuff, using their logo or even colors, off the field for marketing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh

I am a former IUF guy so I get you and you are right. Some of the NIL donations (especially early) will naturally come from the VC pot but as you say...success will raise both ships.

I am a former IUF guy so I get you and you are right. Some of the NIL donations (especially early) will naturally come from the VC pot but as you say...success will raise both ships.
Then they will luck out and get some young money like me that only gives $100 bucks to the VC, but gives a shit ton to NIL.

I am now okay with certain basketball players being booed if they can't make a free throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT