ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana University and the Northeast

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122057234017401625?mg=prod/accounts-wsj

This article is ten years old now, but I still think it's interesting. How does this apparent shift help IU and, more directly, the State of Indiana? What are the downsides? If the New Yorkers that enroll at IU leave the state immediately after graduation, what's the net positive for Indiana? To the extent the shift has adjusted the culture of the University life (and, while anecdotal, I suspect it has), is that a net positive or net negative? Is it simply a matter of the University driving revenue streams? If so (and that might not be the real driving force for all I know), doesn't that corrupt other missions? Anybody have any concerns our thoughts (pro or con) about this?

My take has been among towns people with little connection to IU, it was a negative. There were a lot of complaints in the newspaper's online version, especially in the aftermath of Spierer's disappearance. Also kids from the northeast like living right downtown, which spurred a downtown housing boom that has not ended. That also angered some townies.

I suspect it is a positive. First, certainly not 100% leave. Second, the more top students accepted into IU, the better IU's reputation. Third, these kids pay out of state which has to help IU's budget. Fourth, diversity is good.

My take has been among towns people with little connection to IU, it was a negative. There were a lot of complaints in the newspaper's online version, especially in the aftermath of Spierer's disappearance. Also kids from the northeast like living right downtown, which spurred a downtown housing boom that has not ended. That also angered some townies.

I suspect it is a positive. First, certainly not 100% leave. Second, the more top students accepted into IU, the better IU's reputation. Third, these kids pay out of state which has to help IU's budget. Fourth, diversity is good.
I don't disagree and I'm not informed enough to do so in any event.

But....

What percentage DO leave? Aren't those who did leave taking away spots from Indiana residents who had to look elsewhere for education? What's the extent of IU's obligation to in-state applicants? What should we make of the notion that (at the time of the article) IU had one of the higher out-of-state enrollments at something north of 40%? That doesn't strike me as mere "diversity".

The rest of my rant rests on anecdote and stereotyping which is admittedly not the best way to attack it. But I'll go forward anyway. There are real cultural differences with folks from the northeast. While diversity is good, not all of that cultural shift is positive. The personal interactions are a bit at odds with "midwestern values". The amount of money I see in Bloomington is night and day different from what I experienced in Bloomington. Some of the students today don't just live a better existence than I had at the time; they live in better accommodations than I have as an adult. I suspect that's translated into some unfavorable trends outside the classroom.

And isn't this a function of targeting the northeast (as the article seems to suggest)? What about Florida? Texas? Louisiana? California? Colorado? I'd be curious to see how enrollment has increased in other extra-regional communities.

I appreciate that money makes the world go round, but I'd like to go back to square one and understand better what are the fundamental goals of a state's public university. What obligation is there to the Indiana resident and how is IU advancing that interest? Where, if anywhere, are they deviating from those standards?

You mention how students live today, it is easy to note whose cars are whose in the parking lots. The late model good cars belong to students. The 15 year old cars ( both of mine for example), staff. 5 year old Volvo, or VW, faculty.

I appreciate that money makes the world go round, but I'd like to go back to square one and understand better what are the fundamental goals of a state's public university. What obligation is there to the Indiana resident and how is IU advancing that interest? Where, if anywhere, are they deviating from those standards?
I can't get past the paywall. That said...

State funding is a trickle compared to what it once was. If the State of Indiana is going to have any fundamental goal for the state's flagship university, maybe they should start by funding it adequately.

But....

What percentage DO leave? Aren't those who did leave taking away spots from Indiana residents who had to look elsewhere for education? What's the extent of IU's obligation to in-state applicants? What should we make of the notion that (at the time of the article) IU had one of the higher out-of-state enrollments at something north of 40%? That doesn't strike me as mere "diversity".

The rest of my rant rests on anecdote and stereotyping which is admittedly not the best way to attack it. But I'll go forward anyway. There are real cultural differences with folks from the northeast. While diversity is good, not all of that cultural shift is positive. The personal interactions are a bit at odds with "midwestern values". The amount of money I see in Bloomington is night and day different from what I experienced in Bloomington. Some of the students today don't just live a better existence than I had at the time; they live in better accommodations than I have as an adult. I suspect that's translated into some unfavorable trends outside the classroom.

And isn't this a function of targeting the northeast (as the article seems to suggest)? What about Florida? Texas? Louisiana? California? Colorado? I'd be curious to see how enrollment has increased in other extra-regional communities.

I think Indiana U's PoV is that the regional campuses are available to Indiana students that do not qualify for IUB. They can eitger graduate from the regional, or start there and transfer to IUB later. I know a couple Bloomington kids that went to New Albany for a year or two then came back.

My kids left Bloomington, the two that stayed inside IU's system, went to IUPUI just to get out of Bloomington. I do not think their education was inferior. However one was stuck with a Purdue degree where she would have had the clearly superior IU degree if she stayed.

I think the powers that be would suggest there are still fine options for in state kids.

But....

someone should make a movie about the culture clash between the affluent students and the townies.

they could dress it up as a movie about the bike race.

that said, your points regarding what are, if any, IU's responsibilities to the state's citizenry, is worthy of debate.

the reality that out of state students pay way more in tuition than in state students, and foreign students even more, makes for a built in conflict of interests for a state school.

the "ratings" game, comes with it's own conflicts of interest as well.

that said, has dorm space kept pace with IU's growth?

would be interesting to know if and how much influence real estate developers and investors have with IU.

Last edited:
someone should make a movie about the culture clash between the affluent students and the townies.

they could dress it up as a movie about the bike race.
I was on campus during the filming. Watched them film the scene where the lead gal lost a book off her bike and the male lead scooped it up and chased after her, and was in the crowd at the 10th Street Stadium for the race scenes.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122057234017401625?mg=prod/accounts-wsj

This article is ten years old now, but I still think it's interesting. How does this apparent shift help IU and, more directly, the State of Indiana? What are the downsides? If the New Yorkers that enroll at IU leave the state immediately after graduation, what's the net positive for Indiana? To the extent the shift has adjusted the culture of the University life (and, while anecdotal, I suspect it has), is that a net positive or net negative? Is it simply a matter of the University driving revenue streams? If so (and that might not be the real driving force for all I know), doesn't that corrupt other missions? Anybody have any concerns our thoughts (pro or con) about this?
Probably accounts for the sinking academic
ranking of the university.

tumblr_m9i063UbsT1qedb29o1_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT