ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Governor's Race

crazed_hoosier2

Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2011
We've spent an enormous amount of time discussing the presidential race, it's easy to forget that we have a competitive gubernatorial race this year in Indiana.

I was reminded of it because John Gregg was in my neck of the woods the other night for a fundraiser and I've, somewhat surprisingly, been approached by our union BA about a donation.

I'm giving some thought to giving him one. I've been around John before (he's from the Vincennes area, not far from here) and he strikes me as a genuinely decent guy. He's an archetypal Indiana Democrat. And I've not exactly been Mike Pence's biggest fan -- particularly because, fairly or unfairly, I was a huge Mitch Daniels fan and Pence is so obviously < Daniels (in every way but height, anyway).

Daniels knew which battles to pick, and which ones to avoid. Pence seems to be good at getting that backward.

I think Gregg's going to win this. What say all of you?

We've spent an enormous amount of time discussing the presidential race, it's easy to forget that we have a competitive gubernatorial race this year in Indiana.

I was reminded of it because John Gregg was in my neck of the woods the other night for a fundraiser and I've, somewhat surprisingly, been approached by our union BA about a donation.

I'm giving some thought to giving him one. I've been around John before (he's from the Vincennes area, not far from here) and he strikes me as a genuinely decent guy. He's an archetypal Indiana Democrat. And I've not exactly been Mike Pence's biggest fan -- particularly because, fairly or unfairly, I was a huge Mitch Daniels fan and Pence is so obviously < Daniels (in every way but height, anyway).

Daniels knew which battles to pick, and which ones to avoid. Pence seems to be good at getting that backward.

No individual race in a presidential year can avoid the effect - large or small - of the entire political environment in which their own race occurs. Indiana, as you might expect, will have essentially no competitive Congressional race in the General. Certainly, no one here believes any Democrat against any Republican for President will bring significant campaign resources to Indiana do they? So, its far too early to tell what the environment will be and thus to predict a winner. Right now - all things considered - Pence would be ahead a bit. I've known Gregg for over 30 years. Nice guy, like him, we have a cordial relationship. I talked to him in the Statehouse the day he filed. But, where will the money come from for the Democrat candidate for the Governorship of Indiana in a national donnie brook with the US Senate up for grabs. I know Pence will have all the money he needs. I do not know that about John Gregg.

I honestly haven't even given this race a single thought yet. This is one of those cases where policy and partisan affiliation simply doesn't matter to me. I'm voting for Not Pence, and if Pence were a Democrat, I'd still be voting for Not Pence. I just think he's a disaster of a governor, and someone else should get a crack at it.

So, long story short, I know nothing about John Gregg beyond the only fact that matters to me this year: he's not Pence.

I met John Gregg a number of years ago when a non-profit organization whose board I presided over at the time met with him about some legal issues we were facing. We were considering hiring his law firm to do some lobbying at the statehouse. It turns out his roommate while he was law school was an old high school buddy of mine that I haven't seen in forty years. I found him to be friendly, genuine, informed, and extremely smart. I could easily vote for him.

I've met Mike Pence as well and I can't say that I was impressed. He seemed very guarded and came across as one hundred percent politician. I haven't been thrilled with his performance as governor. I believe this Republican legislature could use some reigning in and that the state could benefit from having a Governor and legislature controlled by two different parties. That's a pretty bold statement coming from someone as conservative as I am.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'll be watching this race closely. If I had to vote today, I'd probably vote for Gregg.

I met John Gregg a number of years ago when a non-profit organization whose board I presided over at the time met with him about some legal issues we were facing. We were considering hiring his law firm to do some lobbying at the statehouse. It turns out his roommate while he was law school was an old high school buddy of mine that I haven't seen in forty years. I found him to be friendly, genuine, informed, and extremely smart. I could easily vote for him.

I've met Mike Pence as well and I can't say that I was impressed. He seemed very guarded and came across as one hundred percent politician. I haven't been thrilled with his performance as governor. I believe this Republican legislature could use some reigning in and that the state could benefit from having a Governor and legislature controlled by two different parties. That's a pretty bold statement coming from someone as conservative as I am.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'll be watching this race closely. If I had to vote today, I'd probably vote for Gregg.
I think it says something that someone as strongly conservative as you thinks our legislators need to take a pill. I think you're right, obviously, but I think it highlights just how nuts we've allowed the statehouse to become that even someone who probably agrees with them on most issues is still uncomfortable with the way they are conducting business. A strong governor of the opposition party may be exactly what this state needs right now.

John Gregg is a friend and a democrat I could vote for. That should cause some consternation for some of the lefties on here. He's a great guy. I don't agree with most of his politics but I think he would try to do the right thing. He's a straight talker who will tell you what he believes not what he thinks you want to hear. I believe he could work with both sides of the isle.

No individual race in a presidential year can avoid the effect - large or small - of the entire political environment in which their own race occurs. Indiana, as you might expect, will have essentially no competitive Congressional race in the General. Certainly, no one here believes any Democrat against any Republican for President will bring significant campaign resources to Indiana do they? So, its far too early to tell what the environment will be and thus to predict a winner. Right now - all things considered - Pence would be ahead a bit. I've known Gregg for over 30 years. Nice guy, like him, we have a cordial relationship. I talked to him in the Statehouse the day he filed. But, where will the money come from for the Democrat candidate for the Governorship of Indiana in a national donnie brook with the US Senate up for grabs. I know Pence will have all the money he needs. I do not know that about John Gregg.
There will be many, many small donors who will be contributing to the anyone but Pence campaign. Ask Tony Bennett if that can work.

There will be many, many small donors who will be contributing to the anyone but Pence campaign. Ask Tony Bennett if that can work.
This race is not for Superintendent of Public Instruction. Grass roots, however good it may be, will not win this. It takes a ground game AND something on the order of $25 million or more.

I honestly haven't even given this race a single thought yet. This is one of those cases where policy and partisan affiliation simply doesn't matter to me. I'm voting for Not Pence, and if Pence were a Democrat, I'd still be voting for Not Pence. I just think he's a disaster of a governor, and someone else should get a crack at it.

So, long story short, I know nothing about John Gregg beyond the only fact that matters to me this year: he's not Pence.
You appear to know nothing about either candidate.

We'll see. I think Pence could have 5 billion to spend and he'd lose. The public has a very short memory, but I don't think they'll quickly forget all he has done to harm Indiana. Heck there are still Pence must go signs up all over Indy. Anyone but Pence is winning this race.

We'll see. I think Pence could have 5 billion to spend and he'd lose. The public has a very short memory, but I don't think they'll quickly forget all he has done to harm Indiana. Heck there are still Pence must go signs up all over Indy. Anyone but Pence is winning this race.
So far, Republicans have been attending primaries in record numbers, especially the religious right apparently. Those people have a lot of reasons to like Pence, although I can imagine you find that unfathomable.

I doubt that any governor in the country has earned the ire that Pence has. I saw what educators did in the race when they were angry. Well, they have educators and a whole lot of other people upset with him now. He cost the state $60 million dollars. I know only two people whom I'd consider religious right and neither will support him. One has a Pence must go sign in his yard.

can't imagine Pence losing, as the loonies control the state.

and the fact that their 24/7/365 propaganda machine all over the AM and FM dials, all over the state, is over the top, 100% one sided with absolutely no opposing commentary what so ever, and with virtually no similar outlet on the other side.

while one could argue voters have access to both sides of national issues in Indiana, (from tv, though not from radio at all), as for state and local, from an editorial pov, voters only get one side, (with absolutely no checks and balances what so ever and absolutely no force holding them to the fire as to truth), from the radio media, which is the only media that addresses local and state from an editorial pov.

when the GOP flat owns the message almost all over the state, and can say whatever they wish pretty much without it being challenged by anyone, how do you not own the state elections.

how the Dems allowed this to happen, is flat out party incompetence to the point of out right malfeasance from it's leadership.

there is some radio message from the left in Btown, and maybe a few other places, but most of the state gets only one side of the equation from the radio, and the radio is pretty much the only medium addressing state and local from an editorial pov.

and like i said, it's 24/7/365 all over the AM and FM dials, and so one sided and over the top that i presume even many conservatives have to shake their heads while listening.

one would have to be brain dead to think that's not going to have an effect after a while.

can't imagine Pence losing, as the loonies control the state.

and the fact that their 24/7/365 propaganda machine all over the AM and FM dials, all over the state, is over the top, 100% one sided with absolutely no opposing commentary what so ever, and with virtually no similar outlet on the other side.

while one could argue voters have access to both sides of national issues in Indiana, (from tv, though not from radio at all), as for state and local, from an editorial pov, voters only get one side, (with absolutely no checks and balances what so ever and absolutely no force holding them to the fire as to truth), from the radio media, which is the only media that addresses local and state from an editorial pov.

when the GOP flat owns the message almost all over the state, and can say whatever they wish pretty much without it being challenged by anyone, how do you not own the state elections.

how the Dems allowed this to happen, is flat out party incompetence to the point of out right malfeasance from it's leadership.

there is some radio message from the left in Btown, and maybe a few other places, but most of the state gets only one side of the equation from the radio, and the radio is pretty much the only medium addressing state and local from an editorial pov.

and like i said, it's 24/7/365 all over the AM and FM dials, and so one sided and over the top that i presume even many conservatives have to shake their heads while listening.

one would have to be brain dead to think that's not going to have an effect after a while.

I went to law school with John Gregg and he is perfect for the job of Governor. He is level headed, middle of the road politically and has had numerous experiences in the government and private world which will serve him well. Pence will have all the money in the world but I think John can win this.

I doubt that any governor in the country has earned the ire that Pence has. I saw what educators did in the race when they were angry. Well, they have educators and a whole lot of other people upset with him now. He cost the state $60 million dollars. I know only two people whom I'd consider religious right and neither will support him. One has a Pence must go sign in his yard.
I hope you're right. He looks like a pasty manikin to me. Fake as the day is long.

I think people forget how close Pence came to losing the race in 2012 (didn't even get 50% of the vote).

I think Clinton v.s. Trump is more favorable for Gregg than Obama v.s. Romney was.

Pence is also going to lose some teachers' votes this time that he got in 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT