ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana constitutional amendment question

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Changing the subject here, but any input on Indiana's first amendment question would be appreciated. It's the one about hunting, fishing, and wildlife. My ballot is ready to go, except for that one. Thanks!

It is an amendment so a couple groups can go to their base and tell them "Hey look what we did". There is no need for an amendment to make hunting/fishing a right. No one has seriously considered outlawing them. One of the bill's supporters said there were attempts, but when asked to name them he actually could only name attempts to make sure farmers treat animals humanely. See story. I don't care if it passes or not, I can't imagine anyone could come into Indiana and outlaw hunting or fishing. So if the NRA wants to send out a request for money detailing this huge victory, let them.

I also never know what to put on the judge retention questions.

I wish we had some way for citizens to actually drive ballot initiatives in this state, rather than the stick up the ass legislators we have.

Maybe we'd actually vote on something that matters.

Reactions: dahldc
Changing the subject here, but any input on Indiana's first amendment question would be appreciated. It's the one about hunting, fishing, and wildlife. My ballot is ready to go, except for that one. Thanks!
Gun nut pandering. On top of that, it's a denigration of the "higher law" status of our constitutions to load them up with provisions that are purely partisan legislative enactments.

Reactions: Bill4411
I haven't decided how I'm going to vote on the question yet. I don't have a problem with the text of the provision, but I agree that it is unnecessary, and I'd prefer that Constitutional amendments be reserved for the more important issues.

While we are at it, here are the other races I know nothing about. I might even vote for a Republican, if someone can give me a reason to.
Attorney General
State Senator
Treasurer
Surveyed
One last note: if you don't know anything about school board, please ask some local teachers or leave it blank. That one is so important, don't just guess.

While we are at it, here are the other races I know nothing about. I might even vote for a Republican, if someone can give me a reason to.
Attorney General
State Senator
Treasurer
Surveyed
One last note: if you don't know anything about school board, please ask some local teachers or leave it blank. That one is so important, don't just guess.

I'm in Hamilton SE. not sure where you teach but if you are in same area I am open to your opinion.

Attorney General
State Senator
Treasurer
Surveyed

Attorney General - Republican candidate is Curtis Hill, the current Prosecutor of Elkhart County
http://www.curtishillforindiana.com/#home

Democrat Candidate is a retired Judge and former teacher named Arredondo from Crown Point who isn't doing much to campaign and doesn't have any money to run with.

EDIT - to add Arredondo additional information.

Last edited:

Don't have a dog in this fight

But the way I read the amendment it also protects live trapping. It's a dumb amendment and I wouldn't vote for it.

Yes

But those words are probably unnecessary. The right to "harvest wildlife" covers it and that is in addition to hunting and fishing.
Yeah, you might be right.

I'm currently leaning toward a "No" vote primarily based on two principles:
1. Government shouldn't waste time passing unnecessary laws.
2. Constitutions should be reserved for the most basic and cherished rights, and the rest should be dealt with in statute.

Yeah, you might be right.

I'm currently leaning toward a "No" vote primarily based on two principles:
1. Government shouldn't waste time passing unnecessary laws.
2. Constitutions should be reserved for the most basic and cherished rights, and the rest should be dealt with in statute.

The legislature shouldn't surrender its authority for political fashion statements.

I'm in Hamilton SE. not sure where you teach but if you are in same area I am open to your opinion.
Assuming you live in Senate District 40 - the northern 80% of Monroe County including IU and the City of Bloomington, your State Senator is Mark Stoops - Democrat and VERY liberal. He is up for election, but he has no opposition - at least no Republican opposition.

Assuming you live in Senate District 40 - the northern 80% of Monroe County including IU and the City of Bloomington, your State Senator is Mark Stoops - Democrat and VERY liberal. He is up for election, but he has no opposition - at least no Republican opposition.

No I am in Hamilton county. live near the noblesville/fishers line. I have a noblesville address but the boys go to Hamilton Southeastern schools. I tend to not care about the R or D so much at the local level, just want the best qualified person for the job.

I believe I am in about the most red County in the state. Luke Kenly is my state senator.

Last edited:
Arredondo used to be the Lake County Circuit Court Judge for 30 or 36 years before he chose not to run for re-election. He may have been a Lake County Court Judge (Small Claims and Traffic & Misdemeanor) before that.

Hill prosecuted the Elkhart 4 (homeowner killed one of a group of several home
invaders and the other home invaders involved in the incident were convicted of murder). The Indiana Supreme Court eventually said that the murder statute wasn't 't applicable to the circumstances and the sentences were lowered from 45 years range to 10-12 years range.

I also never know what to put on the judge retention questions.

I always hate voting on the judges. I always have very little if any information. Is there any non political group that publishes informantion on the job performance of judges. Once they get in office it's seems to be a lifetime job.

No I am in Hamilton county. live near the noblesville/fishers line. I have a noblesville address but the boys go to Hamilton Southeastern schools. I tend to not care about the R or D so much at the local level, just want the best qualified person for the job.

I believe I am in about the most red County in the state. Luke Kenly is my state senator.
Sorry, I screwed up my location of my post. I thought I was posting to Zeke - she's in Monroe. Yes, this is probably the redest county in the state tough Hendricks is on Hamilton's heels. Then there are some smaller counties where you can't find two Dems to rub together.

Finally found a teacher friend that knows someone well that is running. Her name is Charron Wright. She has 3 kids in the district, was parent volunteer, and also PTA President. In that capacity, she met with then Superintendent Beth Niedermeyer ( friend of mine) monthly to make sure their goals were aligned. My friend recommended her highly. Thanks for asking.

Finally found a teacher friend that knows someone well that is running. Her name is Charron Wright. She has 3 kids in the district, was parent volunteer, and also PTA President. In that capacity, she met with then Superintendent Beth Niedermeyer ( friend of mine) monthly to make sure their goals were aligned. My friend recommended her highly. Thanks for asking.
Wasn't Beth in the movie Animal House with John Belushi?

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Thanks for the info, I will keep her in mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT