ADVERTISEMENT

Impeachment

The line in the article that stood out to me was the Fox executive quoting Paul Ryan, “Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now has the power to do something about it”. Wtf? Wasn’t Paul Ryan the Speaker of the House under full Republican control? I suppose he didn’t have any power (or balls) in that role to influence things, but does as a member of Fox News board of directors. Crazy.

The line in the article that stood out to me was the Fox executive quoting Paul Ryan, “Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now has the power to do something about it”. Wtf? Wasn’t Paul Ryan the Speaker of the House under full Republican control? I suppose he didn’t have any power (or balls) in that role to influence things, but does as a member of Fox News board of directors. Crazy.

Media=Perception=Reality.

This is the crux of TrumpWorld.

What you said......(NO gonads)

Reactions: Morrison
Or the obvious alternative. FOX has full control of the Republican Party, and everything else is just window dressing- including the Presidency.

With social media, it had equalised/democratised the media itself. Old media has been blown up since tweets and broadcast media are of equal standing now, so maybe Fox is jumping ahead of the curve.

Now it sees its own relevance by blatantly applying its USP/strength/powers onto society rather than hiding (behind the legacy of a world that is supposed to be fair reporting) and subsequently becoming like some Bond villain now.

In their eyes, the alternative is to slowly wither/dying away like its traditional audience. A machiavellian view but I think they are very cutting edge/innovative if this is their direction.

No pretense, for a change.

With social media, it had equalised/democratised the media itself. Old media has been blown up since tweets and broadcast media are of equal standing now, so maybe Fox is jumping ahead of the curve.

Now it sees its own relevance by blatantly applying its USP/strength/powers onto society rather than hiding (behind the legacy of a world that is supposed to be fair reporting) and subsequently becoming like some Bond villain now.

In their eyes, the alternative is to slowly wither/dying away like its traditional audience. A machiavellian view but I think they are very cutting edge/innovative if this is their direction.

No pretense, for a change.

You make some valid points, and I think the on air opinion people at FOX relish the power they have over their viewers, which actually translates to real power over Republican politicians.

However, the almighty dollar is what really drives the executives at FOX. They’ve been numero uno in the news ratings for 17 years. They’d be a pinko commie Maryanne Williamson supporting network tomorrow if it increased their ratings. They’re soulless. They’ll do whatever keeps them on top, including being highly complicit in the destruction of our civil discourse, and country as a whole.

We may be saying the same thing here.

You make some valid points, and I think the on air opinion people at FOX relish the power they have over their viewers, which actually translates to real power over Republican politicians.

However, the almighty dollar is what really drives the executives at FOX. They’ve been numero uno in the news ratings for 17 years. They’d be a pinko commie Maryanne Williamson supporting network tomorrow if it increased their ratings. They’re soulless. They’ll do whatever keeps them on top, including being highly complicit in the destruction of our civil discourse, and country as a whole.

We may be saying the same thing here.

Machiavellian.

Reactions: Morrison
Hey! Did you just call me a traitor?!

giphy.gif

I'm guessing that he anticipated he would have lost his position as Speaker of the House pretty quickly if he had taken any meaningful action against Trump, but now feels that he is in a position to influence the talking heads at Fox News to act like normal humans and not brainwash their viewers into defending everything Trump does. Which therefore would significantly help impeachment, and potentially a conviction in the Senate.

I'm not a fan of the guy, but I somewhat agree with him if this is his thinking.

I’ve been thinking about this but didn’t want to speak it aloud because it truly is scary. But of course the POTUS went there:

...but [Ryan] now feels that he is in a position to influence the talking heads at Fox News to act like normal humans and not brainwash their viewers into defending everything Trump does. Which therefore would significantly help impeachment, and potentially a conviction in the Senate.
Shep Smith and Chris Wallace play it relatively straight. It's the prime time nutters (Carlson, Ingraham, Hannity) who drive Fox's ratings and are the cash cows. No one is going to kill the geese that lay the golden eggs. Ryan isn't going to influence that at all. He'll collect his salary and be content to pretend he cares about objective journalism.

...but [Ryan] now feels that he is in a position to influence the talking heads at Fox News to act like normal humans and not brainwash their viewers into defending everything Trump does. Which therefore would significantly help impeachment, and potentially a conviction in the Senate.
Shep Smith and Chris Wallace play it relatively straight. It's the prime time nutters (Carlson, Ingraham, Hannity) who drive Fox's ratings and are the cash cows. No one is going to kill the geese that lay the golden eggs. Ryan isn't going to influence that at all. He'll collect his salary and be content to pretend he cares about objective journalism.
Wallace did a good job grilling Steven Miller yesterday.

Perhaps. But how he takes it up is still up to him. He could have the articles read into the record, call for a voice vote, and declare it done. The only one that could stop something like that would be Roberts.

Interesting read on the subject:

Why Mitch McConnell Can’t “Garland” the Impeachment Inquiry

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...iry-in-the-senate-chief-justice-oversees.html
More on this subject here (this was linked on Drudge):

Impeachment Rules Say Senate Must Act, but Its Act Might Be a Swift Dismissal

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/politics/senate-trump-impeachment.html

As the trial threatened to gain steam after the Senate had heard from Republican House managers of the impeachment and Mr. Clinton’s defenders, Senator Robert C. Byrd, a West Virginia Democrat and the highly regarded conscience of the Senate who had said the Bible and Constitution would be his guide, moved to dismiss the entire case. Democrats were in the minority at the time, and Mr. Byrd’s surprise proposal was defeated along party lines, forcing the trial to move forward for a total of about five weeks before Mr. Clinton prevailed.

But in the case of Mr. Trump, his party controls the Senate, and it is not a stretch to envision Republicans providing the votes to throw out the articles, short-circuiting the process and sparing Mr. Trump an extended examination of his conduct.

Last edited:
The State IG and other State employees are coming forward in defiance of Pompeo’s directive to not cooperate with Congress. This is a reminder that the career federal employees are often smart, competent, honest and do their jobs with integrity. It will be people like these, names we don’t know, who will be the patriots.

if your first impulse is to rake these people over the coals and call them traitors, I’d recommend that you step away from the far right media and reflect on what they are asking you to believe.

Last edited:
The State IG and other State employees are coming forward in defiance of Pompeo’s directive to not cooperate with Congress. This is a reminder that the career federal employees are often smart, competent, honest and do their jobs with integrity. It will be people like these, names we don’t know, who will be the patriots.
aka the Deep State

:)

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Note that the stories I've been linking recently have come from Drudge.

A Trump hotel mystery: Giant reservations followed by empty rooms

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/02/trump-hotel-empty-rooms-016763

House investigators are looking into an allegation that groups — including at least one foreign government — tried to ingratiate themselves to President Donald Trump by booking rooms at his hotels but never staying in them.
[..]
“Now we’re looking at near raw bribery,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a House Oversight Committee member who chairs the subcommittee with jurisdiction over Trump’s hotel in Washington. “That was the risk from day one — foreign governments and others trying to seek favor because we know Trump pays attention to this.... It’s an obvious attempt to curry favor with him.”

The investigation began after the committee received information that two entities — a trade association and a foreign government — booked a large quantity of rooms but only used a fraction of them, according to a person familiar with the allegation who isn't authorized to speak for the committee.​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT