ADVERTISEMENT

I'm skeptical of Chris Holtman

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I think he has the makings of a good coach, but he has inherited a talented roster everywhere hes been. OSU and Butler just ended up having better talent than what people originally thought. I will give him credit for apparently not holding his teams back like his predecessors.

I think he has the makings of a good coach, but he has inherited a talented roster everywhere hes been. OSU and Butler just ended up having better talent than what people originally thought. I will give him credit for apparently not holding his teams back like his predecessors.

Seriously ? Do you understand that OSU was picked as one of the bottom 3 BIG teams by every preseason poll. Give the man credit. He's the reason OSU is where they're at. You act like he inherited all kinds of talent and that is just flat out BS. He inherited the same players that Matta struggled with last year minus their star who was kicked off the team He was BIG coach of the year and deservedly so. You need to put down the c-pipe before posting again

Seriously ? Do you understand that OSU was picked as one of the bottom 3 BIG teams by every preseason poll. Give the man credit. He's the reason OSU is where they're at. You act like he inherited all kinds of talent and that is just flat out BS. He inherited the same players that Matta struggled with last year minus their star who was kicked off the team He was BIG coach of the year and deservedly so. You need to put down the c-pipe before posting again

Whats up OSU fan?

This is my recollection: everyone thought they were going to be a mess. While they seem to have really jelled and play better and have alot of talent, especially KBD, folks thought they were going to be a mess. Especially as late has he got the job. Tipping our hat to him, doesn't diminish that I think we got a great coach too. I think there's some turnover going on in the league, so let's hope that IU and maybe OSU find themselves (back) at the top soon!

I always thought Matta was a great recruiter and poor coach, so him not being able to win last season means little. And anyone can see that this OSU team has very good talent and are one of the more athletic teams in the conference. He did a great job, but will he be the recruiter that Matta was?

A large part of the reason was players missing the season before and the removal of Lyles from the program. People underestimated the talent they have. Not saying that means Holtmann hasn't done a fantastic job (and he was in my top 3 realistic candidates for the job), but he, also, runs a very similar system to what Matta ran. So, way too early to make a real judgement, but he has done a great job so far. I'd bet on him rather than against him, but we won't really know until he has had a few years there. I think you have to give him B10 COY.

Holtmann won coach of the year last year at Butler and will likely be B1G Coach of the Year this season. Holtman was one of the realistic candidates for the IU job. If IU woud have taken Holtmann, then The OSU would have picked Archie. I'm happy with Archie'a long term potential at IU! But Holtmann is one of the other B1G coaches that I respect. Holtmann is an upgrade from Matta at the end of his career.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I thought going into the year that OSU would finish around 10th in the conference and was surprised how well they did this year.

The guy was one game from winning the Big Ten with Andrew Dakich as one of his best players. The guy can coach. He’s going to be really, really good at OSU for a long time. We should have some fun battles over the years.

I always thought Matta was a great recruiter and poor coach, so him not being able to win last season means little. And anyone can see that this OSU team has very good talent and are one of the more athletic teams in the conference. He did a great job, but will he be the recruiter that Matta was?
Matta could of been just as dirty as Sean Miller given some of the guys he got. If you pay players you're not a great recruiter.

Greg Gard is a perfect example of why you can't truly judge a coach until he has to start relying on his own players. Matta was a good recruiter. I do believe Holtmann did a Great job this year with his players, and he will be a good coach. But so far Archie has killed him on the recruiting trail, beating him out for Phinesee and Jerome Hunter. Holtmann is good but long term I'd take Archie.

I wasn't throwing shade on Holtman. He's an easy guy to cheer for. We will have a respectable rivalry with OSU.

The guy was one game from winning the Big Ten with Andrew Dakich as one of his best players. The guy can coach. He’s going to be really, really good at OSU for a long time. We should have some fun battles over the years.

If Andrew Dakich is one of his best players, then tO$U fans should be calling for him to be fired. He only average a 6th best 18mpg.

He's an amazing coach and has proved it at three different places.

I just hope he can't recruit but he seemed to be doing pretty well at Butler.

It really sucks that their first choice, McDermott turned them down at the last minute.

Would rather have Holtmann at Butler.

Exactly. I foresee the Hoosiers and Buckeyes battling for some B1G championships over the years.

tumblr_mc2kp9xQNv1rew8xlo1_500.gif

Greg Gard is a perfect example of why you can't truly judge a coach until he has to start relying on his own players. Matta was a good recruiter. I do believe Holtmann did a Great job this year with his players, and he will be a good coach. But so far Archie has killed him on the recruiting trail, beating him out for Phinesee and Jerome Hunter. Holtmann is good but long term I'd take Archie.
He's an amazing coach and has proved it at three different places.

I just hope he can't recruit but he seemed to be doing pretty well at Butler.

It really sucks that their first choice, McDermott turned them down at the last minute.

Would rather have Holtmann at Butler.

COY in 3 different conferences in 6 years. Probably a record. Holtmann is a good coach and he has a really good staff, taking 3 of the guys with him at Butler. Sky’s the limit.

What a ridiculous post...you need to take off your scarlet glasses...

COY in 3 different conferences in 6 years. Probably a record. Holtmann is a good coach and he has a really good staff, taking 3 of the guys with him at Butler. Sky’s the limit.
Not in just 6 seasons, but Bruce Weber has also won coach of the year in 3 different conferences.. So he's got that going for him.

Reactions: jet812
What a ridiculous post...you need to take off your scarlet glasses...
What’s ridiculous? Giving the guy credit for taking a team projected to finish 10th to a 2nd place finish and one game from winning the Big Ten? In his first year. Yea, ridiculous to give him a little credit.

What’s ridiculous? Giving the guy credit for taking a team projected to finish 10th to a 2nd place finish and one game from winning the Big Ten? In his first year. Yea, ridiculous to give him a little credit.

Scarlet colored glasses...

Situational awareness is just not your thing.
Lol. Please dude. You have a way higher opinion of yourself than anybody else has of you. You can puke out stats all you want. It’s never the whole story, which you just alluded to. But there was none of that in what I referenced. So...

Lol. Please dude. You have a way higher opinion of yourself than anybody else has of you. You can puke out stats all you want. It’s never the whole story, which you just alluded to. But there was none of that in what I referenced. So...
I really don't to argue with you but you have to make me by saying dumb things.. okay so .. here's where your thinking is dumb, again.

Just because one rock is blue it doesn't mean all rocks blue.

What's the difference between a player with a 17.9 PER in a 1st role, and a 28.9 in a 4th? Role determined by amount of touches. ie shots, attempts, possession, usage .. consider that a player in the 1st role has the ball in his hand more often is more important to his team and with a 17.9 is under-performing compared to his competition.

Then consider that the player in question was a noted chemistry problem since HS, and had issues while at OSU, while the player you are referring to by all accounts is noted as a good teammate and liked by his peers.

if you want to talk crap, I'm game.. you're weak. If you want to argue, come up with a thoughtful argument. Don't mix the two.. Besides that go away .. you're annoying.

I really don't to argue with you but you have to make me by saying dumb things.. okay so .. here's where your thinking is dumb, again.

Just because one rock is blue it doesn't mean all rocks blue.

What's the difference between a player with a 17.9 PER in a 1st role, and a 28.9 in a 4th? Role determined by amount of touches. ie shots, attempts, possession, usage .. consider that a player in the 1st role has the ball in his hand more often is more important to his team and with a 17.9 is under-performing compared to his competition.

Then consider that the player in question was a noted chemistry problem since HS, and had issues while at OSU, while the player you are referring to by all accounts is noted as a good teammate and liked by his peers.

if you want to talk crap, I'm game.. you're weak. If you want to argue, come up with a thoughtful argument. Don't mix the two.. Besides that go away .. you're annoying.
Then block me. And there was plenty of talk regarding the player previously mentioned being lazy and not putting in full effort even in practices. Statements made by people who know more about the situation than you or I. So again, you are basing this solely on stats. You also were not privy to the inner workings of the OSU squad. So keep calling people dumb who disagree since it helps you feel better about what must be shortcomings in the real world...

"the same players Matta struggled with" - except for Wesson, KBD(injured for last 18 games last year) and Dakich - that is three of their first 6 players. Wesson & KBD made a HUGE difference in talent level for o$u.

Reactions: eddy4iu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT