Benchwarmer
Nov 10, 2006
I'm assuming it plays out like this.

1 - CFB Playoff - Michigan State/Iowa
2 - Rose - Michigan State/Iowa/OSU
3 - Orange/Citrus - Michigan State/Iowa/OSU
4 - Outback - Michigan/Wisconsin
5 - Holiday - Michigan/Wisconsin

That leaves Northwestern, Penn State, and us for the Pinstripe (NYC), Foster Farms (Santa Clara), and Music City (Nashville).

I don't think there's an order for selection for these 3 bowls, rather they do a tiered system (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have to think the Pinstripe wants PSU.

Seeing as Indianapolis/Bloomington are only 4 hours from Nashville, I'm thinking they'll want us.

Selfishly I want IU in Santa Clara since I'm 30 minutes away.

In terms of payouts, Foster Farms is 2.2 million, Pinstripe is 2.0 million, and Music City is 2.75 million.

That leaves Northwestern, Penn State, and us for the Pinstripe (NYC), Foster Farms (Santa Clara), and Music City (Nashville).

I don't think there's an order for selection for these 3 bowls, rather they do a tiered system (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have to think the Pinstripe wants PSU.

Seeing as Indianapolis/Bloomington are only 4 hours from Nashville, I'm thinking they'll want us.

Selfishly I want IU in Santa Clara since I'm 30 minutes away.

In terms of payouts, Foster Farms is 2.2 million, Pinstripe is 2.0 million, and Music City is 2.75 million.
Could that payout help finance a contract buyout in another program? Just wondering...

Could that payout help finance a contract buyout in another program? Just wondering...
Bowl revenues are offset by both the considerable expenses associated with them as well as the revenue sharing protocols of the Big Ten. It will have no impact with respect to Crean.

Reactions: muubell
Not sure it matters that they went last year. I have seen bowls bring back the same team in consecutive years. Is there a rule I am not aware of?

I posted a PDF last night that had the priority selection order. I'll find it in a minute, but there's a line in it about going to the same bowl in back-to-back years.

Bowl revenues are offset by both the considerable expenses associated with them as well as the revenue sharing protocols of the Big Ten. It will have no impact with respect to Crean.

Yeah. Don't we pay our expenses, then the net income left over goes into a conference pot to be split equally? Thus the reason we are usually the patsy when we would threaten to hang a loss on an otherwise qualified potential B10 BCS team? Indiana beating a team that looked "big bowl" eligible would cost the conference in the range of $8-10MM if it left the conference with only one BCS bowl team. In fact, when we're dinking around at 3-7 or whatever, didn't even make financial sense for us to pull at upset. If we did, we'd lose money.:D

Yeah. Don't we pay our expenses, then the net income left over goes into a conference pot to be split equally? Thus the reason we are usually the patsy when we would threaten to hang a loss on an otherwise qualified potential B10 BCS team? Indiana beating a team that looked "big bowl" eligible would cost the conference in the range of $8-10MM if it left the conference with only one BCS bowl team. In fact, when we're dinking around at 3-7 or whatever, didn't even make financial sense for us to pull at upset. If we did, we'd lose money.:D
Yes, and those expenses are considerable, because in season travel limits go away, so all the players go, as does the band. Additionally, every school is responsible for an allotment of tickets, some of which go unsold (would think that won't be an issue for IU, depending on the location). Then, everyone's revenues go into the Big Ten pot, to be shared by all. What comes out of the grinder is revenue neutral in many cases, if not negative.

Yes, and those expenses are considerable, because in season travel limits go away, so all the players go, as does the band. Additionally, every school is responsible for an allotment of tickets, some of which go unsold (would think that won't be an issue for IU, depending on the location). Then, everyone's revenues go into the Big Ten pot, to be shared by all. What comes out of the grinder is revenue neutral in many cases, if not negative.

I think he was making a tongue in cheek comment about a conspiracy against IU to help get the conference get a 2nd BCS game and thus more money to split amongst the conference

Hope it's either Nashville (we live in Chattanooga) or NYC (we'll be there on the 26th anyway). It will absolutely suck if IU goes to a bowl in Santa Clara, California.

Bank on the Foster's Farm bowl.
They are going to make a big pitch to get IU. Watch for it. Their bowl committee is wanting 2 high flying offenses.

Starting at Michigan, slide everyone up one bowl and add Nebraska at the end.

Winner of B1G obviously =playoff

Rose will be OSU. They will be ranked higher than the loser of title game.

Fiesta will be loser of B1G title game.

Michigan Cap One
Etc
Etc

Which I think means IU in Nashville.

Music City would be phenominal. Think that may be prime time on 12/30 vs SEC ...big stage. Think Penn State lands that one. Pin Stripe would be fun....please not California.

Guys, we're 6-6. MICH (9-3), WIS (9-3) and NW (10-2) all get bids before we do (they're not going to take a 6-6 team over a team with nine wins or better).

So figure MICH/WIS/NW go to the Citrus/Outback/Holiday Bowls in whatever order. That puts PSU at the Music City and us at the Pinstripe.

And if only two teams make the New Years Six, we still go to the Pinstripe, because PSU can't go this year since they went last year.

Last edited:

I did not see it in there, but is there any requirement, either conference or NCAA, that bowl-eligible teams must be taken before non-bowl-eligible teams? I believe there are more bowl invitations this year than .500 or better schools. So if we're filling in the bowl schedule with some 5-7 teams, could a bowl request a team like Nebraska over Indiana?

I did not see it in there, but is there any requirement, either conference or NCAA, that bowl-eligible teams must be taken before non-bowl-eligible teams? I believe there are more bowl invitations this year than .500 or better schools. So if we're filling in the bowl schedule with some 5-7 teams, could a bowl request a team like Nebraska over Indiana?

It's never happened before where a 5-7 team could even be picked. So we're talking unchartered territory. However, I am reasonably sure that all bowl-eligible teams must be placed somewhere before 5-7 teams can even be considered.

Reactions: Iamhoosier
After they pay for all of the travel expenses for the team, coaches, administration, families, cheerleaders, and the band, there will be very little money left over. That money then gets split equally among all the teams in the BIG, I believe.

I hate to have to say this but we must be realistic.

Indiana will be among the last Big ten team selected to any bowl...save for one of the 5 loss teams that may wind up filling empty slots.

there isn't enough of a fan base to warrant any bowl wanting to have IU. the only other team that may be less interesting are Penn state ...while they have huge travelling numbers traditionally...fact is the team isnt very attractive and many of their fans might stay home.

Nashville being not too far of a drive would make some sense. pin stripe though? no chance. Santa Clara is possible if they can get the Washington State team drawn in there...for a good (tv type of ) match up.

They are not selecting 5-7 teams before they pick 6-6 teams. It won't happen. Repeat: it won't happen.

IU could play a 5-7 team in a bowl or don't be at all surprised if they meet up with an 8-4 team.

As it stands now, they estimate as many as five 5-win teams may realistically go to bowls and the top five, based on APR criteria, are:

1. Nebraska
  2. Missouri
  3. Kansas State
  4. Minnesota
  5. San Jose State

If K-State beats West Virginia this weekend, they become bowl eligible.

Next on the list would be Illinois.

It's never happened before where a 5-7 team could even be picked. So we're talking unchartered territory. However, I am reasonably sure that all bowl-eligible teams must be placed somewhere before 5-7 teams can even be considered.

And I was reasonably wrong. :)

Something to note if we're 6-6 next year. The Mountain West is ticked off that two of their bowl teams are playing against...each other. (Enough to issue a statement, which is here: http://www.themw.com/news/mwfb-15-bowl-commissioner-statement) And the reason is the bowls put the eligible 5-7 teams in the same pool as the 6-6 teams in terms of conference pecking order, instead of filling all the slots with 6-6 or better then slotting the 5-7s.

I hate to have to say this but we must be realistic.

Indiana will be among the last Big ten team selected to any bowl...save for one of the 5 loss teams that may wind up filling empty slots.

there isn't enough of a fan base to warrant any bowl wanting to have IU. the only other team that may be less interesting are Penn state ...while they have huge travelling numbers traditionally...fact is the team isnt very attractive and many of their fans might stay home.

Nashville being not too far of a drive would make some sense. pin stripe though? no chance. Santa Clara is possible if they can get the Washington State team drawn in there...for a good (tv type of ) match up.
So were you just completely making that up or did you deliberately ignore all previous articles? The Pinstripe Bowl really wanted us. We have a huge alumni base in NYC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT