ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois will be tough this year...

SouthBendJim

Junior
Dec 19, 2004
Bear #1 Kansas in an exhibition game this afternoon, racking up over 80 points, and looking good doing it.

Kansas playing rough ball. I thought there should have been a couple of flagrants called on them.

B1G will be a tough one again I fear.; Hope we hold up.

Illinois & Purdue were both great early last yr..
Then they came back to earth..
Hardly any team stays the same as they are in November.....They either get better or worse as the season goes on..

Reactions: Harry Hondo
Feeling like we missed the boat on these "charity" games thing. Somehow MSU, PU and IL all got the memo this was OK and we didn't? Was this a temporary thing (thought I heard at least 2 of the 3 were benefitting the fire rebuild in Hawaii?)? I think it would be a good thing to do all the time and establish and NCAA Relief Fund. There are always going to be causes/situations to donate to.

Last edited:
Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Feeling like we missed the boat on these "charity" games thing. Somehow MSU, PU and IL all got the memo this was OK and we didn't? Was this a temporary thing (thought I heard at least 2 of the 3 were benefitting the fire rebuild in Hawaii?)? I think it would be a good thing to do all the time and establish and NCAA Relief Fund. There are always going to be causes/situations to donate to.
the KU/ILL was definitely a Maui benefit. Just caught the end and was wondering what was up with the goofy KU jerseys and two head coaches in cold Illinois wearing Tommy Bahama shirts.

The way we looked in the first half yesterday I’m kinda glad we weren’t playing a top 20 team. IU has plenty of tests in November/December.

The way we looked in the first half yesterday I’m kinda glad we weren’t playing a top 20 team. IU has plenty of tests in November/December.
Oh man...I'd love to have a game like the PU/Ark or KU/Illini game under our belt heading into our early schedule.

Think about how much better prepared KU is to play in Bloomington now, having already played a true hostile road game against a high major team. Same with PU.

I hope Woody finds a school that will do a "home/home" type thing like this. Duke or Carolina would be at the top of my list.

the KU/ILL was definitely a Maui benefit. Just caught the end and was wondering what was up with the goofy KU jerseys and two head coaches in cold Illinois wearing Tommy Bahama shirts.
I think that was also the charity involved with the AR/PU game too. Not sure about MSU/TN. Just weird to me that 3 other BT schools figured this out and we didn't. I think UIndy was a great first game opponent, but I'd much rather see us playing a KU/UT/AR level opponent than Marian for a second exhibition game, especially with our precon schedule.

Who cares? Doesn't count. As I said, for me, UIndy was the perfect first game, but I'd love to have that level opponent for a 2nd exhibition game vs Marian.

Oh man...I'd love to have a game like the PU/Ark or KU/Illini game under our belt heading into our early schedule.

Think about how much better prepared KU is to play in Bloomington now, having already played a true hostile road game against a high major team. Same with PU.

I hope Woody finds a school that will do a "home/home" type thing like this. Duke or Carolina would be at the top of my list.
I want St John's.

I think that was also the charity involved with the AR/PU game too. Not sure about MSU/TN. Just weird to me that 3 other BT schools figured this out and we didn't. I think UIndy was a great first game opponent, but I'd much rather see us playing a KU/UT/AR level opponent than Marian for a second exhibition game, especially with our precon schedule.
Tennessee/Purdue/Kansas are all slated to play in Maui. I think that was the effect for these games.

Tennessee/Purdue/Kansas are all slated to play in Maui. I think that was the effect for these games.

All those teams participating have most of their starters back as well.

Or significant experience from transfers in Kansas. I presume the Hogs portal influx were guys with starting experience as well.

I'm confident CMW will get in on a big time exhibition matchup next season if it makes sense.

All those teams participating have most of their starters back as well.

Or significant experience from transfers in Kansas. I presume the Hogs portal influx were guys with starting experience as well.

I'm confident CMW will get in on a big time exhibition matchup next season if it makes sense.
It was my belief that these exhibition games were to benefit the Maui Wildfire Relief so not sure it's annual type deal. Teams used to play "secret scrimmage" exhibitions against other quality opponents before the start of the year and know IU played either Dayton or Cincinnati not all that long ago.

so are those games not happening now? I assumed if they couldn't be played, they'd just move it to Honolulu.

It was my belief that these exhibition games were to benefit the Maui Wildfire Relief so not sure it's annual type deal. Teams used to play "secret scrimmage" exhibitions against other quality opponents before the start of the year and know IU played either Dayton or Cincinnati not all that long ago.
"Secret Scrimmages" are still popular. I've head all about UNC's (not so) secret scrimmage vs FAU.

so are those games not happening now? I assumed if they couldn't be played, they'd just move it to Honolulu.
No the Maui is still happening albeit in Honolulu. I'm saying these one off televised games you saw this weekend were one time charity events (involving Maui participant teams) to help raise money for the relief fund. I don't believe these will be regularly scheduled televised events going forward after this year.

Teams do engage in "secret scrimmages" as IU has done so in the past. I know they played Marquette one year under Archie and then seem to remember them playing Cincinnati (maybe Dayton) at Gainbridge Fieldhouse and then against another team in Louisville under Woodson.

Reactions: kkott
No the Maui is still happening albeit in Honolulu. I'm saying these one off televised games you saw this weekend were one time charity events (involving Maui participant teams) to help raise money for the relief fund. I don't believe these will be regularly scheduled televised events going forward after this year.

Teams do engage in "secret scrimmages" as IU has done so in the past. I know they played Marquette one year under Archie and then seem to remember them playing Cincinnati (maybe Dayton) at Gainbridge Fieldhouse and then against another team in Louisville under Woodson.
Isn't IU going to Maui next year? Maybe they'll still have need for these next year? Maybe they'll become a tradition even after the need is up?

I'm envious no matter what. But I'm sure you're right, and makes sense.

Isn't IU going to Maui next year? Maybe they'll still have need for these next year? Maybe they'll become a tradition even after the need is up?

I'm envious no matter what. But I'm sure you're right, and makes sense.
No they are doing Atlantis.

I want St John's.
Any "name" school would be good. Take your pick: Marquette, Nova, St Johns, ND, Lville, etc... I just think it would have better prepared us for our precon opponents, as we have some tough games: KU, UConn, Auburn... be nice to get to play a top 20 opponent, esp on the road, and not have it affect our record.

Last edited:
Ahhh...

Well maybe a Maui team will reach out and want to test The Hall...for charity.
What's so special about Maui teams? Why not just allow every team to play in 1 exhibition game per year that benefits an NCAA Charity fund, and then actually donate to charities? There's always going to be a need, whether it's wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, cancer, Israel/Gaza, Ukraine... Then they could decide how to divy up the donations. PGA donates tens of millions each year this way I believe.

What's so special about Maui teams? Why not just allow every team to play in 1 exhibition game per year that benefits an NCAA Charity fund, and then actually donate to charities? There's always going to be a need, whether it's wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, cancer, Israel/Gaza, Ukraine... Then they could decide how to divy up the donations. PGA donates tens of millions each year this way I believe.
??? Probably could do this. Not sure on all the details and facts.

I just saw the PU game, was intrigued...and then saw the KU game...even more intrigued. The Maui connection obviously makes sense now though. Probably a last minute thing...

I’ll wait and see if Illinois beats Kansas in a game that counts. You never know, KU could’ve just been effing around, not going full bore and risking injury in a game that doesn’t count. Of course, Illinois could’ve been doing the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT