ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois series

Jan 6, 2019
I'm usually a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, but I'm SLIGHTLY optimistic about this weekend. A nice comeback series win against Minnesota helps, but I just noticed that Illinois has TWO midweek games before our series. I'm hoping that both are high scoring extra inning games that wears out their bullpen. And no games for us, so everybody will be available this weekend.

Somebody bring me back to earth. What am I overlooking?

I'm usually a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, but I'm SLIGHTLY optimistic about this weekend. A nice comeback series win against Minnesota helps, but I just noticed that Illinois has TWO midweek games before our series. I'm hoping that both are high scoring extra inning games that wears out their bullpen. And no games for us, so everybody will be available this weekend.

I'm more and more bullish on the Hoosiers and this new offensive approach. Their pitching has been very strong and the defense has totally tightened up since early in the year. All that said, I'm reluctant to think the midweek is going to have much if any effect on the weekend. Pauly needs to come back and set the tone.

Make no mistake about it, this will be a huge series for Illinois also. If the Illini get swept or even lose the series, they could be fighting for their lives to make the B1G tourney.

Make no mistake about it, this will be a huge series for Illinois also. If the Illini get swept or even lose the series, they could be fighting for their lives to make the B1G tourney.

Illini have 6 games left vs Purdue/MSU so a series loss would be disappointing but probably not terminal to BTT chances.

Illini have 6 games left vs Purdue/MSU so a series loss would be disappointing but probably not terminal to BTT chances.
The schedule does favor them, but if they lose the series to us, they sure can't afford to falter any in those last two series with the way teams are bunched together in the middle of the standings.

You're not really overlooking anything other than Illinois is good. I'm not being sarcastic, either, but that's the bottom line. They got off to a great start, had injuries to key players that led to a rough patch, and now have gotten hot again as those players have come back. They're a good club - that's reason enough to be worried even if they are playing two mid-week games.

You're not really overlooking anything other than Illinois is good. I'm not being sarcastic, either, but that's the bottom line. They got off to a great start, had injuries to key players that led to a rough patch, and now have gotten hot again as those players have come back. They're a good club - that's reason enough to be worried even if they are playing two mid-week games.
The Illini did take two of three games at Neb last weekend, so IU will have a challenging series this weekend.

Reactions: Seyton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT