ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Quarterbacks

HoosierNative

Redshirt
Sep 30, 2007
I've only seen a few segments of Illini football this season. I know Luke Altmyer is mobile and has been "feast or famine" (e.g., turnover prone). Anybody have a sense of his availability given his injury late in the Minnesota game? What about the back-up other than he played at Ball State and came off the bench making three completions leading them to a comeback victory over the gophers?

I've only seen a few segments of Illini football this season. I know Luke Altmyer is mobile and has been "feast or famine" (e.g., turnover prone). Anybody have a sense of his availability given his injury late in the Minnesota game? What about the back-up other than he played at Ball State and came off the bench making three completions leading them to a comeback victory over the gophers?
Bielema didn't say much yesterday about Altmyer other than he's much better than he was Saturday. The play in question involved him taking a hit and going down hard on his helmet. Don't want to speculate too much but makes you think concusssion. The kid's father is an MD. I think it's safe to assume they're not going to rush him back. My money's on Illinois going with the backup Paddock this Saturday. Fortunately we've got some film on him. He was good in that final drive.

Whether it's Altmyer or Paddock, our D needs to bring it at opportune times and put pressure on the QB. Altmyer is a good passer but, as you've noted, he's got some turnover issues. He was stripped and fumbled twice against Minnesota. If the Illini go with Paddock, our D needs to get acquainted with him, up close and personal, early in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT