ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois’ TSJ seeking temporary restraining order

I won't be a bit surprised if he is back in uniform. The teams they play while his is out caught a huge break.
I listen to the Sleepers podcast and they love IL and one of them even picked them as his darkhorse NC.... assuming TS is back. And, he implied he had someone on the inside who had told him he'd return. No idea if they were referring to this injunction.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I listen to the Sleepers podcast and they love IL and one of them even picked them as his darkhorse NC.... assuming TS is back. And, he implied he had someone on the inside who had told him he'd return. No idea if they were referring to this injunction.
they could be paying for the lawyers to sue themselves. public relation's wise they take a beating if they say innocent till proven guilty. this way when he gets the injunction. they can say they have no choice.

they could be paying for the lawyers to sue themselves. public relation's wise they take a beating if they say innocent till proven guilty. this way when he gets the injunction. they can say they have no choice.
Could be, but I think it's more along the lines of what Cav is saying. After the Pierre Pierce and MSU crap, they don't want to allow someone to play accused of that, and then he gets convicted. My guess is legally, they have every right to do that, if they don't yank his scholly. Similar to suspending a policeman from duty with pay when involved in a shooting until they are cleared. I don't think they are violating his rights.

But, interesting question: let's say TSJ gets sick of it, and finds a school who will accept him and allow him to transfer and play right away. Maybe a school short on solid guard play: would you want him? I say no, but curious if anyone feels differently?

Could be, but I think it's more along the lines of what Cav is saying. After the Pierre Pierce and MSU crap, they don't want to allow someone to play accused of that, and then he gets convicted. My guess is legally, they have every right to do that, if they don't yank his scholly. Similar to suspending a policeman from duty with pay when involved in a shooting until they are cleared. I don't think they are violating his rights.

But, interesting question: let's say TSJ gets sick of it, and finds a school who will accept him and allow him to transfer and play right away. Maybe a school short on solid guard play: would you want him? I say no, but curious if anyone feels differently?
Interesting hypothetical. At his point I would say no, particularly because we have been enlightened to always believe the woman.

is that even a possibility, can a kid just transfer anytime?

is that even a possibility, can a kid just transfer anytime?
I honestly don't know and that's not what I was trying to get answered. Just a hypothetical I was curious to hear opinions on. So, am I putting you down for a yes?

Rape is just awful. I think those that accuse of rape and are false accusing, should get jail time. Obviously getting raped is unthinkable, but getting falsely accused of rape would be horrific.
agree but how is a university supposed to have the ability to investigate this?

I honestly don't know and that's not what I was trying to get answered. Just a hypothetical I was curious to hear opinions on. So, am I putting you down for a yes?
Put me down as a no because it would be a public relations disaster for IU. Now in the real world would I hire someone with pending charges. that depends on a lot of factors.

Reactions: bawlmer

I think you are wrong. Civil rights are important. I sure hope he wins this his lawsuit, which I believe is a forgone conclusion. At least it should be.

Uh...yes

Reactions: thoops7
I think you are wrong. Civil rights are important. I sure hope he wins this his lawsuit, which I believe is a forgone conclusion. At least it should be.
?? Civil rights? He's not being denied a right based on his race, sex, religion, beliefs, etc... I know I wasn't the best student, but I missed class the day they covered the rights that Illini athletes have to play sports.

Like I said, I think as long as they keep him on scholarship, they are fine. It would be better if their scholarship or athletic policies stated they have the right to suspend someone during the trial or investigation from a team if they are charged with a felony, but I do think that's their right and perogative. It would look awful if you allowed someone charged with a felony to play until their trial and then they're found guilty. I think you're confusing rights and privileges. I think playing on an athletic team is a privilege, not a right. How would you feel if your daughter or sister said she was raped by an athlete and they were allowed to continue playing? Heck a coach can suspend a player for any variety of issues that aren't even crimes; wouldn't that also violate the players "civil rights" in your view? It sucks, but I think it's their decision and understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
agree but how is a university supposed to have the ability to investigate this?
They don't, and I don't think they should. How would it look if you're investigation was negative and the player in question was later found guilty? Shannon could sue in civil court, and probably should if he's maintaining his innocence.

The situation sucks, but I think suspending a player charged with a felony until the case is resolved while keeping them on scholarship, is legal and the right course of action.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
?? Civil rights? He's not being denied a right based on his race, sex, religion, beliefs, etc... I know I wasn't the best student, but I missed class the day they covered the rights that Illini athletes have to play sports.

Like I said, I think as long as they keep him on scholarship, they are fine. It would be better if their scholarship or athletic policies stated they have the right to suspend someone during the trial or investigation from a team if they are charged with a felony, but I do think that's their right and perogative. It would look awful if you allowed someone charged with a felony to play until their trial and then they're found guilty. I think you're confusing rights and privileges. I think playing on an athletic team is a privilege, not a right. How would you feel if your daughter or sister said she was raped by an athlete and they were allowed to continue playing? Heck a coach can suspend a player for any variety of issues that aren't even crimes; wouldn't that also violate the players "civil rights" in your view? It sucks, but I think it's their decision and understandable.
Meant civil liberties. It was a long night. Your example isn't remotely similar, imo.

How would you feel if your son was wrongly accused of rape and lost everything because of it. It's not right. There needs to be due process before you completely ruin someone's earning potential.

Reactions: asindc
How would you feel if your son was wrongly accused of rape and lost everything because of it. It's not right. The
I see a difference between accused and charged. He's been charged, correct? Like I said, it sucks, but I think it's understandable. If my son was wrongly accused of rape, we'd be hiring an attorney and probably suing the individual. (PS, look how quickly/forcefully Jimmy Kimmel responded to Aarron Rodgers' comments his name would come out in the Jeffrey Epstein stuff).

My example wasn't intended to be "equal" I was just pointing out that a player can be suspended for non-crimes since you commented about civil rights, so again, I think a school is within their rights to suspend a player if they are criminally charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Interesting hypothetical. At his point I would say no, particularly because we have been enlightened to always believe the woman.

I know! It's like "always believe the child" in abuse cases. Sooo annoying.

Woke sissies are ruining this manly country!

I see a difference between accused and charged. He's been charged, correct? Like I said, it sucks, but I think it's understandable. If my son was wrongly accused of rape, we'd be hiring an attorney and probably suing the individual.
You don't think police/prosecutors make mistakes? Charged isn't convicted, but I get your point. I'll be astonished if TSJ isn't back on the team this season. And I'm all for it, because I believe in due process.

Last edited:
You don't think police/prosecutors make mistakes? Charged isn't convicted, but I get your point. I'll be astonished if TSJ isn't back on the team this season. And I'm all for it, because I believe in due process.
Of course they do, and as I said, it sucks. But again, they have filed charges, so they must believe there's something more there than he said/she said. And, I checked. The University has known about the accusations since September and only suspended him when he was charged. He was not suspended due to the possibility of a "false accusation" alone. And, as I also said, he is free to sue in civil court for defamation, slander and lost wages/ opportunites, etc... For him, this directly affects his income (NIL) and professional future. I'd think they would've already filed a civil suit, for public support if nothing else.

Reactions: The Watson

Nobody has a right to play basketball, or to go to UofI for that matter. As long as the university followed their rules and policies with regard to the suspension, there should not be any claim. If they made up a new rule for this case, or he can show that similar incidents in the past were handled differently, he may have a case.

That said, the university should not be investigating this. They are not disinterested, and they are not competent to do it. This is a police/criminal justice system matter and that is where it should be handled.

Reactions: kkott
Nobody has a right to play basketball, or to go to UofI for that matter. As long as the university followed their rules and policies with regard to the suspension, there should not be any claim. If they made up a new rule for this case, or he can show that similar incidents in the past were handled differently, he may have a case.

That said, the university should not be investigating this. They are not disinterested, and they are not competent to do it. This is a police/criminal justice system matter and that is where it should be handled.
I don't believe that Il is investigating this. They acted per policy after the charges were filed.

I don't believe that Il is investigating this. They acted per policy after the charges were filed.
Correct.

In short story, the University of Illinois essentially has a policy in place that states once an athlete has been charged with a serious crime he/she is suspended indefinitely until the case is settled or close. This is typical at most major universities.

Shannon is suing the university for a temporary restraining order requesting a court injunction that blocks his suspension enacted by university policy. It's a Hail Mary at this point but worth a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT