ADVERTISEMENT

I'll believe it when I see it ...

Re: The thing is...

That's actually exactly what I was told . From the same guy...
Shared that info with Peegs and Rabby both.

The money is there from a major donor (yes I've been told the name) it's just currently allocated to a different project at this time

I shut down Nicks on a few occasions upstairs and in the back (before they expanded) with Ron and Pat. Ron was pretty entertaining (and a bit drunk) most of the time.

Some great stories were shared late night.

He's not required to take the first gig.

But he is required to search and find a job in "good faith." There's a bunch of case law in Indiana (and other states, but Indiana law applies to this contract) about what constitutes good faith. In short, Crean has to genuinely search for a job that isn't below his own market value.

A key element of this, though, is that IU pays the buyout monthly through June 30. 2020, and all of Crean's earnings in that time period are credited against the buyout. He must report all earnings to IU, and IU will deduct them from future payments. At the end of the contract period (i.e., on July 1, 2020), they will take an accounting, and if Crean's earnings PLUS what IU has paid him add up to more than the buyout, Crean has to return the difference to IU.

So, if he sits around for a year and collects money from IU, there is a chance he is collecting money he will one day have to return.

All of this, of course, simply points back to what a lot of people have been saying: if a divorce happens, it is in the best interests of all parties to agree to terms, and avoid five years worth of potential litigation over this stuff.

goat

Ahhh... Lawyer talk

"Isn't below his market value"

Not many jobs out there at his market value of 3mil plus per year or even around that. Talking high major jobs that have to open.
I'm no lawyer but I've grown up in an HR household and have a minor (be impressed) myself.

Haha

Seriously though good info there. I was unaware of that stuff.

So much gray area in all of that. Guess that's why they usually end up dragging on in court

That makes more sense.

In that case, the money isn't actually there, as much as it will be moved from somewhere else. I'm sure the AD would much rather get rid of Crean on the cheap, and have this donor's money stay with that other project. Have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

Here is what I believe will happen. Crean and IU will agree to a much lower number, say one year's worth of salary, or about $2.5 million, with the caveat that Crean gets to keep it free and clear, no matter what. At that point, all obligations between the parties for the future will be removed.

IF, that is, Crean actually leaves. IF he leaves, I believe that is how it will go down. But that is based solely on my reading of the contract. I have absolutely no connections with people in the know. You might actually be my best connection, that's how outside I am.

goat

Oh I know

Usually the peanut gallery is much harsher here... Usually out of fun

One must thicken skin to post here

Yep.

None of that is written in black and white, that's for sure. If they can't reach an agreement for Crean's departure, and IU fires him, anyway, this will involve a lot of billable hours for some very lucky lawyers down the road.

Never met him.....

Ron isn't a bad guy, but he is a piece of work for sure. Never boring when he's around.

Goat is like a real...

...practicin' 'ttorney.

I actually need will and trust stuff done. When he gets good I'm calling him.

Is that the reason for Crean being emotional lately

why is he getting choked up in interviews lately, the love of his players or he already knows the IU end is near? Or both?

Your source is as crooked as his nose...

And equally as full of shit.

As in triton centrals assistant? That son of ron?

Well maybe its his only... but ive coached against him as we were both jv coaches... seemed nice but gives me the creeps...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: That makes more sense.

Worst case scenario for IU is Crean goes into broadcasting. His salary would be maybe in the $500k range which would in theory leave IU on the hook for the balance if there isn't a negotiated lump sum.

Glass likes Crean

He kisses the right butts and does all the appearances and fund raising crap that Glass needs him to do. Glass doesn't care about basketball. He cares about finances. The seats will be sold either way. There is no incentive to make a change.

This post was edited on 3/14 9:56 PM by Hank Reardon

Here's what you don't get

I'm almost always wrong. About everything. My predictions rarely ever come to fruition.

I have reasons for saying what I do.

I'm not sure Crean is an upgrade over Anthony Grant...

Grant hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Bama, but what about Crean suggests that he'd do any better there?

Crean will be great at a school with that level of expectations.

Make the tourney 45% of the time at Bama and they'll be happy until spring practice starts for football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT