ADVERTISEMENT

If you see one more concert in your life it has to be Santana.

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
Just got back a little bit ago. An amazing concert.

Almost-77-year-old Carlos can still bring it. Mesmerizing. He has to sit during most of the show, and moves about as well as Biden when he does get up, but that doesn’t impact his playing. Damn, he is just tremendous. See him while you still have the chance.

The percussion side will knock your fvckin’ socks off and pound them into next week. Carlos’s wife - 64-year-old Cindy Blackman - will leave you exhausted. Damn, she is just as tremendous.

Outside of The Allman Brothers this may have been the best concert I’ve been to.

We return you now to your regular late-night programming.

Almost-77-year-old Carlos can still bring it. Mesmerizing. He has to sit during most of the show, and moves about as well as Biden when he does get up, but that doesn’t impact his playing. Damn, he is just tremendous. See him while you still have the chance.

The percussion side will knock your fvckin’ socks off and pound them into next week. Carlos’s wife - 64-year-old Cindy Blackman - will leave you exhausted. Damn, she is just as tremendous.

Outside of The Allman Brothers this may have been the best concert I’ve been to.

Twentysomething kid at work saw them a week ago and was blown away. He couldn't believe what that old fvck was able to wring out of that rig. The kid is learning...

Me, I saw them going on 50 years ago. From what little I remember, I was blown away too. And you're right about the percussion. Do they still have two full drum sets and drummers?

Last edited:
Twentysomething kid at work saw them a week ago and was blown away. He couldn't believe what that old fvck was able to wring out of that rig. The kid is leaning...

Me, I saw them going on 50 years ago. From what little I remember, I was blown away too. And you're right about the percussion. Do they still have two full drum sets and drummers?
No, Cindy Blackman has a monster drum kit and she is fabulous. There are two other percussionists playing various things and they are frenetic. The sound, power and cohesion is a beautiful thing to behold and feel.

They are touring with Counting Crows as the opening act. Definitely worth seeing. I so want to be wrong, but Santana appears to have some health/physical issues and I’m afraid he could reach a point soon where his ability to move around will be severely limited. He sat and played for 85-90% of the time and when he did get up he looked to be in some pain.

Saw him many years ago. He was excellent. I saw a lot of "old" rockers back in the day. Some of them sucked total ass. Steve Miller was especially bad. But Santana was good. He and Buddy Guy saved Deer Creek for me during my high school years.

Carlos has always just mesmerized me. I've never saw him live, and honestly probably never will. That is totally my loss, because hr really is amazing.
He is the epitome of, let the love of your craft influence others.

Was Rob Thomas there by chance? :)

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

I wish I would have seen this message before now. I just looked it up and they played tonight in Tinley Park outside Chicago.

Did you see Counting Crows with Carlos- that’s a show for certain

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Santana was my first concert. Rusted Root opened, it was '96 or '97 at deer creek.
Everytime i play Abraxis, i forget just how incredible that album is.
Sorry, I’m going to be “that guy.” It’s Abraxas.

Doesn’t negate the fact that Santana had a monstrous run of great albums at the start.

Reactions: UncleMark
Yes, Counting Crows was/is the opening act.
For the three, and any others for that matter, who liked this, sell me on Counting Crows. They were “okay,” and granted I was there for Santana so I was just hoping they’d get on with things and then let the real show start, but I just didn’t feel it with them.

Instrumentally, they were interesting. Vocally, not so much. They came along at a time when we had young kids and I was also in the mindset that Rock had died and, thus, thank goodness we still had the 60s and early 70s and jazz. So, never thought a thing about this band and couldn’t tell you the name of a song they had done or for which they might have received some fame. Don’t throw any bricks my way. There are a number of bands in the same box.

No, Cindy Blackman has a monster drum kit and she is fabulous. There are two other percussionists playing various things and they are frenetic. The sound, power and cohesion is a beautiful thing to behold and feel.

They are touring with Counting Crows as the opening act. Definitely worth seeing. I so want to be wrong, but Santana appears to have some health/physical issues and I’m afraid he could reach a point soon where his ability to move around will be severely limited. He sat and played for 85-90% of the time and when he did get up he looked to be in some pain.
Is Cindy Blackman still a smokeshow?

Sorry, I’m going to be “that guy.” It’s Abraxas.

Doesn’t negate the fact that Santana had a monstrous run of great albums at the start.

For the three, and any others for that matter, who liked this, sell me on Counting Crows. They were “okay,” and granted I was there for Santana so I was just hoping they’d get on with things and then let the real show start, but I just didn’t feel it with them.

Instrumentally, they were interesting. Vocally, not so much. They came along at a time when we had young kids and I was also in the mindset that Rock had died and, thus, thank goodness we still had the 60s and early 70s and jazz. So, never thought a thing about this band and couldn’t tell you the name of a song they had done or for which they might have received some fame. Don’t throw any bricks my way. There are a number of bands in the same box.
I can’t sell you. I just know who they are. I kinda assumed if they’re touring with Santana, he must respect their musical abilities.

Is Cindy Blackman still a smokeshow?
She’s got some looks, particularly for someone who’s 64.

But the amazing thing is how hard she plays the drums for two hours. As Santana even said after an extended drum solo, “you have to be an Olympic-caliber athlete, with great diet and resolve and dedication, to play like this.”

Reactions: BradStevens

I’ll sell ya on counting crows. 93. August and everything after. Drove from Stl to Chicago to meet friends for the opening game of the World Cup. As the sun was falling. All the windows down. Perfect weather. So pumped. Perfect blue buildings by counting crows on repeat full blast on the cd player. One of those great times

• Love
Reactions: BradStevens
I’ll sell ya on counting crows. 93. August and everything after. Drove from Stl to Chicago to meet friends for the opening game of the World Cup. As the sun was falling. All the windows down. Perfect weather. So pumped. Perfect blue buildings by counting crows on repeat full blast on the cd player. One of those great times
And I would have had Live at Fillmore East by ABB on the cd player.

Any large breasted young ladies in the car with you?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
God, and we’re leaving in 30 minutes to see Horizon. I’ll need several bourbons in the next half hour to recover from this effrontery to the universe and be able to drive safely to the theater.
And the whole time you'll be humming "take a chance, take a chance, take a chance." Impossible to not get stuck in the brain. True genius.

• Haha
Reactions: Indyhorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT