ADVERTISEMENT

If Rick Pitino leaves UL...

I say get him if we can. He will want to show he is clean and has 5 years left. In those 5 years, he will have us top 10-15 and when he is done Stevens will be ready to come back to college. Perfect scenario
Just like Samscum showed us he would be clean. I am just not impressed anymore by him.

Shame on any student section UL plays against the rest of the year that does not all dress up as Whores and Pimps.

Now if Jurich leaves UL, I would definitely over Glass.
Jurich may be a casualty of all this, too. Look at what happened at Illinois and how it ultimately cost the leader of the athletic department. Look at IU and how Rick Greenspan was pushed out due to the upheaval in the department he ran. Look at Mike Garrett at USC. There are examples everywhere. If Pitino gets chased, Jurich may be walking out the door behind him. And no way would IU hire either one of them.

Last edited:
That Pitino is pretty sly. He offers to give up his salary for a year as an alternate punishment to the self imposed NCAA ban. Wonder what his net worth is and how much other income he has from other sources? He just listed his Miami Beach home for 24 mil. Withholding his salary for a year wouldn't impact him at all. He'll look great on the UNLV sideline next year.

Rick leaving UL is going to happen sometime after the season. My serious question to the IU fanbase is would you be interested in hiring him if Tom Crean is gone as well at the end of this season. I'm a UK fan but I'm not trying to flame on this board, I would just be curious as to your take on him.
If he was younger i would say yes. But too old imo so no.

Now if Jurich leaves UL, I would definitely over Glass.

Executives are often, and should be held accountable for the not only the bottom line results of his or her organization but also for the "condition" of the organization from a ethical, public relations and citizenship standpoint. I don't know if he gets fired, but it is on his plate.

Strictly opinion, but this one is so heinous (particularly if minors were involved) that I let him go as well.

Rick leaving UL is going to happen sometime after the season. My serious question to the IU fanbase is would you be interested in hiring him if Tom Crean is gone as well at the end of this season. I'm a UK fan but I'm not trying to flame on this board, I would just be curious as to your take on him.
Who the heck would want him for IU? I would rather Crean stay than get RP. Pitino is a scum bag and would only get us in trouble again. Then we would self report and take 10 schollys away from ourselves and ban ourselves from the tourney for 5 years like imbeciles.

Reactions: darrin09
If Rick were to leave UL and come to IU I know a few UK fans whos heads would definitely explode...lol

Luck for them it will never happen. Man, UL's fall off the mountain was swift.

I wouldn't be disappointed if IU hired him. I fall in the boat of preferring a younger guy like Mack or Miller or Marshall not that Marshall is uber young. I'd also prefer IU to win the Big 10 this season and Crean be the coach next season not Pitino. That doesn't mean I'm not ready for a new coach. Crean's time will likely come at the next turn for the worse. He's got the program back to being stable and attractive to take over vs when Crean came after Sampson. I guess the next question since even Crean being gone after this season is pure speculation.

I assume 98% of the people here want Stevens. Would you rather keep Crean if it bridges to Stevens 1 or 2 years down the road or new coach this summer based on where Crean has the program and with the incoming recruits. I think it is fairly good shape from a talent perspective especially if Bryant stays. Then again, I see the 180 degree turn around from Barnes to Smart in Austin. I think Smart is a lot closer to Stevens than the current cast of Miller, Mack, Marshall.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be disappointed if IU hired him. I fall in the boat of preferring a younger guy like Mack or Miller or Marshall not that Marshall is uber young. I'd also prefer IU to win the Big 10 this season and Crean be the coach next season not Pitino. That doesn't mean I'm not ready for a new coach. Crean's time will likely come at the next turn for the worse. He's got the program back to being stable and attractive to take over vs when Crean came after Sampson. I guess the next question since even Crean being gone after this season is pure speculation.

I assume 98% of the people here want Stevens. Would you rather keep Crean if it bridges to Stevens 1 or 2 years down the road or new coach this summer based on where Crean has the program and with the incoming recruits. I think it is fairly good shape from a talent perspective especially if Bryant stays. Then again, I see the 180 degree turn around from Barnes to Smart in Austin. I think Smart is a lot closer to Stevens than the current cast of Miller, Mack, Marshall.
I don't see Stevens leaving Boston so there is no need to wait and see what he does so if you want to make a change then make the change. I also put Marshall right up there with Stevens so I would take him in a heart beat and to me Marshall is far better than Smart is.

I don't know if he was in Bloomington or not, but didn't Louisville announce the hiring on Pitino Just a few hours after IU took the interim tag off of Davis?
The year that we took the interim tag off of Davis was not the same year that Pitino was let go from Boston and was available. I am pretty sure the year that Pitino was available was the year that we lost to Vandy in the NIT or it could have been the year before that.

No.

The year that we took the interim tag off of Davis was not the same year that Pitino was let go from Boston and was available. I am pretty sure the year that Pitino was available was the year that we lost to Vandy in the NIT or it could have been the year before that.
Pretty sure it was the same day, sometime in March or April of 2001. I remember watching the press conference on espn on IU hiring Mike Davis as head coach, and right after, on the message scroll at the bottom of espn, they reported that the Papa Johns Plane just left Louisville in route to Boston. I am getting older though......

I don't see Stevens leaving Boston so there is no need to wait and see what he does so if you want to make a change then make the change. I also put Marshall right up there with Stevens so I would take him in a heart beat and to me Marshall is far better than Smart is.

The opportunity to hire Stevens came and went.

An interesting hypothetical you pose.

However, there is no reason to assume that Crean will be gone at the end of this season.

Plus, IU's season is going to be at least two weeks longer than Louisville's season (counting the postseason tourneys that Louisville will not be attending). It's difficult to imagine that a hypothetical Crean firing and a hypothetical Pitino firing would occur near each other.

Furthermore, there is simply no way that the NCAA is going to be done investigating and processing the Louisville situation for several months. Pitino said this week that he has not even been interviewed by the NCAA yet. Bleacher Report wrote a few days ago, " A formal Notice of Allegations from the NCAA was not expected before the end of the 2015-16 season."

After receiving the allegations, Louisville will have a chance to respond, and I think the NCAA discipline committee then has another chance to issue a written rebuttal and possible recommendation for punishment. And then, I believe Louisville has a chance to have a hearing. I may not have described the process fully, but it is certain this process will take months.

Since we know from experience that, if Pitino is sanctioned by the NCAA, it is likely those sanctions could carry over to Pitino's next school, it isn't prudent for the next school to hire Pitino until it knows what the sanctions are.

So, if (a very big "if") IU fires Crean, I don't think there is any way in hell IU will wait to hire a coach until Pitino's/Louisville's situation is fully resolved.

Lol

Maybe UK can get him after Cal leaves

I wouldn't have a problem if IU hired Pitino. I thought we should have made a harder push (perhaps IU did) for him 15 or so years ago when we hired Davis. It is interesting to see how the last 15 years have gone for both programs. UofL has had far greater success which isn't a surprise when you look at the AD and head coach hires for both schools.

IU
Davis - nice guy, solid recruiter at best, but IU should have never turned the keys over to a blue chip program to a guy with no head coaching experience. That was ridiculous. I am glad he is having success and doing well. IU was just above his head.
Sampson - IU knowingly hired a cheater and guess what. He did it at IU as well. Disappointed that he can return to coach in college after what occurred at IU.
Crean - Not a bad hire. But not the best hire. Unfortunately IU could not attract Brad Stevens who I think we all would agree would be an amazing hire.

UofL
Pitino - one of the best coaches in the game. He does not seem to fit with IU but the guy can flat out get results. Had he not left Kentucky after the 97' season, UofK would have a few more championships to their collection imho. He turned around both UofK and UofL and won championships. It remains to be seen if he was in the loop on the latest issues at UofL. I don't think RP was in the know because there was so much risk for UofL and it was unnecessary at that.

Bottom line - Crean isn't going anywhere. If he didn't get fired over the last two seasons, and he has bounced back with a very respectable season so far this year, he will be at IU for several more years.... Glass seems to be very committed to TC.

I should clarify that I wouldn't have a problem if IU hired Pitino providing he is cleared and sanction free of the recent developments at UofL.

Nonetheless, Crean is here for several more years atleast.

On top of a coach you would get a traveling "sex show".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT