ADVERTISEMENT

"If [Jackson`s] not a different QB now than in Spring...

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
... then Indiana will have some problems".

- Mason Williams of The Hoosier

Great podcast. Lots of interesting topics discussed.

Questions for the board:

1. How do you feel about the OC Staff's ability to develop a QB.

2. Do you prefer CTA & Co to create a system around the player skill sets or develop players to fit a particular system?

Last edited:

Questions for the board:

1. How do you feel about the Staff's ability to develop a QB and their ability to develop a QB.

2. Do you prefer CTA & Co to create a system around the player skillets or develop players to fit a particular system?
do not want to listen to 38 min podcast what is the meat of his QB statement please

do not want to listen to 38 min podcast what is the meat of his QB statement please
He said Sorsby has more arm talent, better downfield. Jackson is quicker and more mobile but decision making is an issue.

Then they compared both to Dex and discussed how it is possible to design an offense when you have such different QBs.

Questions for the board:

2. Do you prefer CTA & Co to create a system around the player skill sets or develop players to fit a particular system?
As I’ve said previously, we’re going to need to be patient with the O, and includes when DW returns. We’re going to have some challenges.

Reactions: ESalum86
It’s my personal opinion that none of three are the answer and that CTA really messed up by not bringing in an experienced/seasoned QB for one year.
I know they tried on a couple and struck out so it is what is and I hope I’m wrong (won’t be the first or last time) haha

If they can do with Jackson what they did with dexter we might be on to something
I agree, to start. I liked what we did vs pu early. The option game was cooking.

I think we start read option with 2 back sets. Then we need to introduce some RPO and go downfield more as the season progresses.

It all hinges on QB development.

If they can do with Jackson what they did with dexter we might be on to something
Dexter Williams completed 42% of his passes and had a quarterback rating of about 40. His most productive passing game was 6 completions on 19 attempts.

By the time Dexter got playing time the offense had collapsed and what Dexter did he improvised mostly with his feet.

Last edited:
It’s my personal opinion that none of three are the answer and that CTA really messed up by not bringing in an experienced/seasoned QB for one year.
I know they tried on a couple and struck out so it is what is and I hope I’m wrong (won’t be the first or last time) haha
We tried that last year, remember?

I agree, to start. I liked what we did vs pu early. The option game was cooking.

I think we start read option with 2 back sets. Then we need to introduce some RPO and go downfield more as the season progresses.

It all hinges on QB development.
With a heavy dose of jaylin

Dexter Williams completed 42% of his passes and had a quarterback rating of about 40. His most productive passing game was 6completions on 19 attempts.

By the time Dexter got playing time the offense had collapsed and what Dexter did he improvise mostly with his feet.
Bell had Dexter running third string with no defense, so he had no training on passing from Bell and that is why. DeBoer was a far better OC than Bell, but I will give him this season to show what he can do. I do worry about Bell's ability to coach QBs but we will see this year if he can.

Questions for the board:

To succeed, you can’t be the tide breaking on the jetty, execute what the starter does best … then build in the more desired concepts as the season goes on. With our talent at receiver, it would seem to me that the more accurate arm might be the better choice, provided the decision making matches the arm talent.

This season will be telling for item 1. Baze stayed locked in on Camper … and the now Michigan backup didn’t improve dramatically despite the promising start at the end of 2020.

Reactions: IUCX9
He said Sorsby has more arm talent, better downfield. Jackson is quicker and more mobile but decision making is an issue.

Then they compared both to Dex and discussed how it is possible to design an offense when you have such different QBs.
Right now it is hard to evaluate two QB's virtually unseen so I will defer. Just not liking the rumblings on this though. And the first game will probably give no answers. I think by end of game 3 we will have a lot more info.

Right now it is hard to evaluate two QB's virtually unseen so I will defer. Just not liking the rumblings on this though. And the first game will probably give no answers. I think by end of game 3 we will have a lot more info.
Apparently, some media were allowed to watch the spring practices and some scrimmages. They just were not allowed to report on what they saw. So it is great to listen to someone who has personally seen the QBs play. At least for initial expectations. You're right, we'll see where we are at game 3. I'd like to see QB play get better as the year goes on though. That is a must.

Reactions: vesuvius13
To succeed, you can’t be the tide breaking on the jetty, execute what the starter does best … then build in the more desired concepts as the season goes on. With our talent at receiver, it would seem to me that the more accurate arm might be the better choice, provided the decision making matches the arm talent.

This season will be telling for item 1. Baze stayed locked in on Camper … and the now Michigan backup didn’t improve dramatically despite the promising start at the end of 2020.
Good points.

I too am hoping to see improved QB play this year. Some of our peer programs can take
3 stars and even a walk-on QB and turn them into NFL draft picks. We seem to recruit a lot of 4* QBs who transfer or switch positions. It's frustrating.

As I’ve said previously, we’re going to need to be patient with the O, and includes when DW returns. We’re going to have some challenges.
You have been wrong on so many things we can't trust what you say. You never told me in DMs who you are hence many of think you are Ordy based on the way you post; I told you I wouldn't tell others so what choice do we have.

You have been wrong on so many things we can't trust what you say. You never told me in DMs who you are hence many of think you are Ordy based on the way you post; I told you I wouldn't tell others so what choice do we have.
Still waiting for you to get back to me on those better routes, V. And we’ll see if your lofty predictions come to pass.

He excoriated me for calling him Ordy....then belittled my 50 plus years of Hoosier fandom...just like Ordy would do....

'Sumpin' ain't right!!??

We weren't an attractive place for a transfer QB. We had a terrible OL. Our offense was weak due to our OL and other factors like route running and predictable play calling. I don't see our offense being much different this year.

Allen doesn't give me much reason to be excited. Maybe his top secret QB selection works better this year. I don't expect anything different from last year.

Reactions: bang63
He excoriated me for calling him Ordy....then belittled my 50 plus years of Hoosier fandom...just like Ordy would do....

'Sumpin' ain't right!!??
I didn’t belittle you for that, Q, but I’m still not Ordy. Love that I’m in your head, though.

Questions for the board:

Good question - One of the many reasons that I think Bell was a disaster of a hire is that I have zero confidence in his ability to develop QBs. He has never played the position which is a rarity for QB coaches at this level. And of all his years coaching he has yet to develop a QB that has any success.
I would prefer to create a system then find the recruits that fit the system. However, recruiting to IU has never been easy so sometimes you just need to identity talent and take what you can get. I think with QB recruiting we have tried to find guys that fit Bells system, but QB recruiting has been difficult over the past couple years. And you can look at my response above to question 1 as to why I think that is the case.

Good question - One of the many reasons that I think Bell was a disaster of a hire is that I have zero confidence in his ability to develop QBs. He has never played the position which is a rarity for QB coaches at this level. And of all his years coaching he has yet to develop a QB that has any success.

I would prefer to create a system then find the recruits that fit the system. However, recruiting to IU has never been easy so sometimes you just need to identity talent and take what you can get. I think with QB recruiting we have tried to find guys that fit Bells system, but QB recruiting has been difficult over the past couple years. And you can look at my response above to question 1 as to why I think that is the case.
Kalen DeBoer was a wide receiver in college. Kevin Wilson was an offensive lineman. Nick Sheridan was a quarterback.

From my VERY limited observations from the spring game, I hope it’s Sorsby who gets the nod. He was just a more effective passer that day. IIRC, the only INT that was thrown that day was by Jackson and it wasn’t a “good” INT.

This is one of those situations too where the coaches can get behind the “wrong” guy (I’m not judging which is which) for the rest of the team and they lose the team before playing. QB is a weird position. The guys know who they want to lead them into battle.

Reading between the very fine lines that the Allen regime allows, I'm starting to think Sorsby is maybe the better QB....

From what small amount of highlights released, Sorsby has good wheels and apparently a better arm than Jackson. Of course there is a certain amount of pressure to start Jackson because of his brother. I hope Allen is strong enough to flush that down the drain.

Reading between the very fine lines that the Allen regime allows, I'm starting to think Sorsby is maybe the better QB....

From what small amount of highlights released, Sorsby has good wheels and apparently a better arm than Jackson. Of course there is a certain amount of pressure to start Jackson because of his brother. I hope Allen is strong enough to flush that down the drain.
Starting a QB because he’s the little brother of a basketball player no longer on campus would be the absolute DUMBEST thing ever.

Unless Damon Bailey’s daughter has some eligibility left…..then suit her up.

Starting a QB because he’s the little brother of a basketball player no longer on campus would be the absolute DUMBEST thing ever.

Unless Damon Bailey’s daughter has some eligibility left…..then suit her up.
I agree, but what I said has lots of truth, particularly with the crowd across the parking lot.

Reactions: DANC and TMFT
Reading between the very fine lines that the Allen regime allows, I'm starting to thinking don’t think the family angle Sorsby is maybe the better QB....

I don’t think the family angle has any influence at all. They’re both going to play regardless who starts the season.

MP wasn’t just good but 1 of the better qb’s we’ve had at IU. Something was wrong in 21 and all possibilities point to coaching. I think MP returned too soon from his injury but I also think the poor OL contributed to his struggles.
We lacked leadership in all the places it matters.

Reactions: bang63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT