ADVERTISEMENT

If 0C Sheridan dinks and dunks tomorrow with Penix everyone should be pissed.

Greensboro Hoosier

Benchwarmer
Sep 12, 2014
Fitzgerald doing it all night with Hunter Johnson. Former 5 star quarterback from the state. Horrible. Let it rip tomorrow. Let's go. I'm fired up. Big game. Big game.

I actually think a big problem with last year's offense was that we abandoned a lot of the short passing game we used constantly and were successful with under DeBoer in 2019 and became way too predictable with the between the tackles running on early downs. So, personally, I'd like to see the swing and screen pass game have a resurgence and play a bigger role this year, especially if the offensive line is still a weak spot, since getting the ball out fast is the best way to protect the QB when the line can't consistently.

I know a lot of people get impatient with dink and dunk and want to open things up and go vertical early and often. When the offense isn't clicking it's easy to sit there and say just take a shot. But the deep ball is by definition a low percentage play so it's hard for me to think the long-term solution to offensive successs is to hang your hat on statistically low percentage plays. I understand Penix has a big arm and people want to utilize that but time would be better spent focusing on the execution of the short and intermediate passing game. I'm not against the deep ball but my overall offensive philosphy is dink and dunk with caluculated shots sprinkled in there. You literally only need 3.5 yards per play to keep the chains moving and on most plays the defense is going to give you 3.5 yards somewhere. I know the analytics say that one of the big precitors of success on offense is explosive plays but I think it's a false assumption to equate explosive plays with long throws. Just as often an explosive play happens when an intermediate play is very-well executed and an 8 to 12 yard gain turns in to 15 or 20 yards plus. I think the better solution is to focus on execution and attention to detail, to stay on schedule in terms of down and distance, and to use dink and dunk to set up selective shots rather than just throwing it as far as you can and crossing your fingers.

Fitzgerald doing it all night with Hunter Johnson. Former 5 star quarterback from the state. Horrible. Let it rip tomorrow. Let's go. I'm fired up. Big game. Big game.
Johnson is no Peyton Ramsey. Ramsey would take off running and get 1st downs Johnson has to throw to get. And Penix is going to put the ball on the money whether it's 7 yards or 30 yards downfield. There is no comparison.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
He will. I miss DeBoer something terrible.
You just had to not post this and wait 1 day. Let him call the game first and then bring negativity. He's only got a really weird and difficult rookie season on the books. He definitely had Debord vibes last year with his half-installed playbook, but we can't be certain what he truly will be as a play-caller yet. You might be right, but you don't know.

I could not possibly disagree more with this take.

First, Deboer was literally all about the short quick pass game & screens as an extension of the run game.

Second, surely there is a chart somewhere from last season, the passing game was WAAAAY to reliant on taking deep shots. They were just fortunate enough to hit a fairly high percentage.

I’m far more concerned that he will call too many big shots than too few.

We dont have Whop anymore! Dinking and dunking is ok to a point, but if that means constantly doing a wr screen throwing the ball behind the los multiple times a game, then thats a problem! I hate that play!

We dont have Whop anymore! Dinking and dunking is ok to a point, but if that means constantly doing a wr screen throwing the ball behind the los multiple times a game, then thats a problem! I hate that play!
For all intents and purposes, DJ Matthews is totally capable of being Whop, except with the game breaking speed and explosiveness that Whop never really had, as good as he was for us.

I would love to see Indiana have the intermediate passing game that they so often displayed during the Kevin Wilson era. Wilson would have Sudfeld hitting 15-20 yard strikes to Hughes, Latimer and Shane Wynn. Wilson should've won a lot more games than he did.

Loved Whop, but spent way too much time running sideways or backwards vs Ole Miss trying to make too much happen. He probably lost 25-30 YAC in that game.

Was at the MSU game in ‘19 when MP went for 20 straight, many to Whop and Hale for good 5-8 yard pick ups. It kept a good MSU D off balance all day and got IU to a 31 tie with 2 minutes left. That was a gem of a game called by DeBoer. The D just needed to step up late and couldn’t do it as MSU kicked a
tie-breaking fg with a few seconds left.

The MSU D scored a scoop/score TD on the last play of the game making the final score much more deceiving than the game was.

Dink and dunk away, then hit them over the top.

I know a lot of people get impatient with dink and dunk and want to open things up and go vertical early and often. When the offense isn't clicking it's easy to sit there and say just take a shot. But the deep ball is by definition a low percentage play so it's hard for me to think the long-term solution to offensive successs is to hang your hat on statistically low percentage plays. I understand Penix has a big arm and people want to utilize that but time would be better spent focusing on the execution of the short and intermediate passing game. I'm not against the deep ball but my overall offensive philosphy is dink and dunk with caluculated shots sprinkled in there. You literally only need 3.5 yards per play to keep the chains moving and on most plays the defense is going to give you 3.5 yards somewhere. I know the analytics say that one of the big precitors of success on offense is explosive plays but I think it's a false assumption to equate explosive plays with long throws. Just as often an explosive play happens when an intermediate play is very-well executed and an 8 to 12 yard gain turns in to 15 or 20 yards plus. I think the better solution is to focus on execution and attention to detail, to stay on schedule in terms of down and distance, and to use dink and dunk to set up selective shots rather than just throwing it as far as you can and crossing your fingers.
We went long ball a bunch last year. Probably why Penix was 57%. I hope we do more short stuff to go with that cannon. Iowa is going to try and keep everything in front. We do a bunch of run n shoot concepts so I’m ok with that style. It works.

We check down to that throw. Very rarely that will be the first option.

The biggest problem with the offense last year was all of the three and outs. Dinking and dunking a bit extends drives and wears out the defense.
I think we where vanilla because we had no coaching contact. I think we will see a more complex offense. We had a lot of no play call sets last year. Tells you how good we really are.

Reactions: IUgradman and TMFT
Dinking and dunking for 5 when you need 8 after running twice for next to nothing is what frosts my ass. Let's hope Carr & Co. can keep us out of those situations.
Yes, and with improved run-blocking from the OL.

Improved overall OL play is what I'm looking for today. And a win, of course.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT