ADVERTISEMENT

Idiot state legislators set to screw IPFW

Instead of a collaborative campus, the medical and nursing schools would become an IU campus, and everything else would become Purdue-Fort Wayne.

Pretty dumb, if you ask me. I fail to see how the change will offer any benefit whatsoever to students.

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/IPFW-gets-report-urging-it-become-Purdue-campus-10951064

Talk about stupid. That is the dumbest thing I've heard.

What about the business school? That goes to Purdue?

Pence should veto this assuming that
Pence has any common sense, rather
than just being Mitch's boy.

Instead of a collaborative campus, the medical and nursing schools would become an IU campus, and everything else would become Purdue-Fort Wayne.

Pretty dumb, if you ask me. I fail to see how the change will offer any benefit whatsoever to students.

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local/IPFW-gets-report-urging-it-become-Purdue-campus-10951064
IPFW's registrar is a friend of mine. He hates PU's management of the campus and would much rather have IU take it over. (IU manages IUPUI, from what I understand.) This will only deepen PU's control of the FW campus. As for me, an IPFW grad, this proposal seems asinine and I hope it fails..

So you have the main campus driving in-state students to the satellite branches, and have the GOP legislature screwing over the satellite campuses. Sounds about right.

Indiana: keeping the dream of the 1950s alive.

I don't know anything about this proposal, but public education spending in this country is out of control.

There's no correlation, that I've seen, between spending and scores. The kids at Carmel would be just as smart at Speedway. Smart kids and smart parents make smart schools, not vice versa.

Same with colleges. If they're handing it over to Purdue, it's probably because they can control costs. On the student level, IU's program for cost information for students is a model for the rest of the nation. I could see federal legislation on it in the future.

I don't know anything about this proposal, but public education spending in this country is out of control.

There's no correlation, that I've seen, between spending and scores. The kids at Carmel would be just as smart at Speedway. Smart kids and smart parents make smart schools, not vice versa.

Same with colleges. If they're handing it over to Purdue, it's probably because they can control costs. On the student level, IU's program for cost information for students is a model for the rest of the nation. I could see federal legislation on it in the future.

LMAO. No.

LMAO. No.

Yes.

People at Stanford will go on to be more successful than people at IU because they are smarter. Not because they spend more money on a cafeteria or have nicer dorms.

IU sucks at basketball, because of incompetence. Not luck. Not funding. The people that run IU are dumber than other comparable universities. Incompetence. Same thing in life, my friend. The spending is irrelevant without the talent.

Yes.

People at Stanford will go on to be more successful than people at IU because they are smarter. Not because they spend more money on a cafeteria or have nicer dorms.

IU sucks at basketball, because of incompetence. Not luck. Not funding. The people that run IU are dumber than other comparable universities. Incompetence. Same thing in life, my friend. The spending is irrelevant without the talent.

You are so wrong on this I am not going to bother arguing about it with you, no offense. I am currently tired of debating / arguing / cajoling whatever. I am going into "posting boobs / being a smartass" mode for awhile. I reserve the right to do drive-by "LMAO , no" posts, however. Good day sir.

link doesn't work for me. I'm going of last years act score. you can do it internationally too. nice try tho
You actually have last year's ACT scores divided by school district, combined with school funding data on the district level? Share that information, bro!

Or, are you just full of shit? Because it really sounds like you're just full of shit.

You actually have last year's ACT scores divided by school district, combined with school funding data on the district level? Share that information, bro!

Or, are you just full of shit? Because it really sounds like you're just full of shit.

Don't need it in a district level and your stats don't even claim as much.

Uhh yeah. Indiana has always spent more for poor areas (per student). Which hasn't done a damn thing.
That's misleading. Indiana spends the same per student as a base, but has an extra grant available for students who receive SNAP and TANF. Similarly, they have other grants, like special ed grants. The end result is that the average poor district does receive slightly more state funds per student.

However, local funds still account for 30% of total public school expenditures, primarily construction and big-ticket purchases (most districts don't use local funds for salaries or operational costs). The end result of this is that, while a poor district has slightly more money to spend per student on paying teachers and keeping the heat on, a rich district can pass that one-off bond issue to build a new library, or buy a bunch of computers.

So, in short, when you say that Indiana spends more per student in poor districts, that's true, but only if you add the qualifier, "for day-to-day school operations costs."

This thread needs a makeover with boobs:

tumblr_nmfw3e4Dkz1uqgvmgo1_1280.jpg

a.baa.1-Lovely-Little-Pokies-.jpg

4239950148_58d01b28f9.jpg

Kate-Upton-Photos%5B1%5D.jpg

Reactions: FL33
Uhh yeah. Indiana has always spent more for poor areas (per student). Which hasn't done a damn thing.
Sorry, this is just plain back-assward asshattery. The reason that Indiana pays more "per student" in a poor area is because that's a shit metric. Charter schools and/or vouchers siphon off the kids who's parents give a shit, leaving the dregs to the public schools to deal with. (Thanks Pence and Daniels) And because they have fewer students because some go to charter schools, the fixed costs to run a school district are spread across fewer students. We should be giving more money to poorer districts, because that's where the money is needed, but that's not how education works in this facking state.

FL33 is right on this. I don't care what else you say - if the parents care, then the kids will do well; if not, then they won't. The rest of that is pure bullshit. Goat can post study after study showing correlations that aren't related in my mind.

But that's just Goat being Goat.

Sorry, this is just plain back-assward asshattery. The reason that Indiana pays more "per student" in a poor area is because that's a shit metric. Charter schools and/or vouchers siphon off the kids who's parents give a shit, leaving the dregs to the public schools to deal with. (Thanks Pence and Daniels) And because they have fewer students because some go to charter schools, the fixed costs to run a school district are spread across fewer students. We should be giving more money to poorer districts, because that's where the money is needed, but that's not how education works in this facking state.

FL33 is right on this. I don't care what else you say - if the parents care, then the kids will do well; if not, then they won't. The rest of that is pure bullshit. Goat can post study after study showing correlations that aren't related in my mind.

LMAO. No.

Well, you're not the dumbest poster in this thread.

Just read your article. Lol... at that as your evidence.

Easy to pick out the ketchup eaters on this short bus.

Ketchup eaters on this short bus? As a special education teacher, there are many things I'd love to call you right now, but I'll save my energy for those who actually deserve it.

Throwing huge gobs of money at education isn't the complete answer, but you do have to have money to provide the tools and the personnel needed to provide great educational opportunity. It isn't as simple as smart parents make smart kids. If you do the research I'd venture to say that the vast majority of those "smart parents, smart kids" come from a financially secure background.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT