ADVERTISEMENT

I think our assistants are living up to their salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you’re right. Unfortunately, CMW isn’t really interested with input regarding coaching his team. (Although Ya is a clear connection to several of these recruits).

He’s made that pretty clear.
Just because you think CMW MAY not be interested in getting input from divergent sources, does not mean he isn't listening.
  • He pretty much stopped the "hockey style" substitutions that irritated many here.
  • He found a diamond when he signed a five star freshman.
  • He made efforts to improve overall defensive talent.
  • He made efforts to improve ball handling and play making.
  • He attacked the portal and signed numerous players who can create offense and score at different levels.
  • He found a new down low presence and rim protector to replace KW.
  • He has improved the talent level at every position.
  • And, he even "seems" to have listened and improved three point shooting.

I think Coach Ya might be one of the best AC in terms of recruiting in the country with NIL in place. With his connections and salesman approach, backed by money, wow. This off season has been insanely impressive. Just crazy to think of the off season transactions we made, because that is exactly what happened. Kanaan, Rice, Ballo, Tucker, Hatton, and Goode. I think Goode is the only one that comes to IU without NIL.

I really wanna be a fly on the wall with the conversations that happen. Everything is legal in terms of talking dollars and cents from NIL. You can promise money amounts while recruiting. How far we have come.
Meanwhile, Bobby turns over in his grave, having wanted buried upside down, now rightfully so for his critically acclaimed ass-kissers fulfilled.

Which you said he would have came anyway and I said that’s not true.
You said he was chasing $$$ - with no NIL he couldn’t chase $$$. Best to go where he would be developed for NBA - IU & Woody

Which you said he would have came anyway and I said that’s not true.
speculation... either way... but likely with TJD's improvement and Ware's he would have come...
I know it pains you to see accolades to CMW... your opinion pales with actual player's opinions based in actual experience with the man... you just keep on denigrating if it makes you feel good.

Reactions: nichlee
speculation... either way... but likely with TJD's improvement and Ware's he would have come...
I know it pains you to see accolades to CMW... your opinion pales with actual player's opinions based in actual experience with the man... you just keep on denigrating if it makes you feel good.
No but let’s not act like Woody is putting high draft picks in the league. TJD was a second rounder and Ware is a fringe first rounder.
Heck I would say Crean was better in this area than Woody.
Vonleh, Zeller, OG, Morgan

Last edited:
No but let’s not act like Woody is putting high draft picks in the league. TJD was a second rounder and Ware is a fringe first rounder.
Heck I would say Crean was better in this area than Woody.
Vonleh, Zeller, OG, Morgan
but he performed well didn't he lol... you're a joke! keep on denigrating!

What are you talking about? You are just grasping at anything you can to not look like a fool I. Your blind faith of Woody. Dude can’t coach, let’s hope he bought a team that can win
your pattern in apparent... you are grabbing at the straws... quit grabbing and watch the program grow... simple. or go to your beloved PU program you like to rave about.

your pattern in apparent... you are grabbing at the straws... quit grabbing and watch the program grow... simple. or go to your beloved PU program you like to rave about.
Watch it grow? Ok…hey you want to make a bet on where IU lands in final BIG standings?

I think our assistants and head coach are all overpaid. Without NIL all would be gone. None of assistants seem to teach any fundamentals or have basketball experience that should be at Indiana. Hunter was a Archie leftover that says enough. And if coach Yay is so good why in the hell did Rice go to Washington State over Indiana sames goes with Carlyle its because we have money now.

I think Coach Ya might be one of the best AC in terms of recruiting in the country with NIL in place. With his connections and salesman approach, backed by money, wow. This off season has been insanely impressive. Just crazy to think of the off season transactions we made, because that is exactly what happened. Kanaan, Rice, Ballo, Tucker, Hatton, and Goode. I think Goode is the only one that comes to IU without NIL.

I really wanna be a fly on the wall with the conversations that happen. Everything is legal in terms of talking dollars and cents from NIL. You can promise money amounts while recruiting. How far we have come.
Yes, he and others have done a good job thus portal season. I think we will know HOW good they are at recruiting based on the 2025 guys on Indiana Elite we are after, along with a number of other schools.

Yes, our staff could be better. Fife, Hunter, Rosemond, was supposed to be it. A #1 lead with deep indiana ties and HC experience was the right idea, Fife got himself fired and Woody just bumped everyone up and made Walsh, with no actual recruiting experience never being anything above a video coordinator ojt assistant coach and the Indy Elite program as his initial territory. SMH

Rosemond and Hunter are both really really good #3 assistants. That's been their high water marks in their
careers prior to being here. Hunter has a strong track record of developing Bigs and he is well connected from Pittsburgh, where he played college ball (Duquesne) into the DMV area. He was previously on Dan Hurleys staff. The interesting thing with Rosemond is his having been on Avery Johnsons staff, but even more interesting, Mark Fox's staff. Mark last year was Director of NIL Partnerships with Georgetown and was overpaid by Pope to come to Kentucky and do the same magic. I think Rosemond knows people in a way that was once very illegal in the sport. He has the magic roladex of NIL Agents phone numbers. He is our Director of NIL Partnerships.

The people we have close by that could fit the Lead Assistant job description don't want any part of it. I think Josh Pastner would be great.

If you believe this then how do you justify last year's record with Reneau, Ware and Mgbako as presumed great recruits?

Assistants don't have ultimate authority but if they are recruiting guys who don't defend and win at a low level, then maybe they don't have a very good understanding of the intangibles that make a team good.
I give them absolutely no credit until I see next year's team achieve something. And that is how it should be.
Last chance for Woodson and his staff.

Recruiting rankings, quite frankly, are bs.

If you believe this then how do you justify last year's record with Reneau, Ware and Mgbako as presumed great recruits?

Assistants don't have ultimate authority but if they are recruiting guys who don't defend and win at a low level, then maybe they don't have a very good understanding of the intangibles that make a team good.
I give them absolutely no credit until I see next year's team achieve something. And that is how it should be.
Last chance for Woodson and his staff.

Recruiting rankings, quite frankly, are bs.
This staff gets talent on paper but do they recruit/buy a team?

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
It’s just my opinion, but the quick commits for most of our roster felt like some market clearing offers. It’s not really a criticism — it’s the world of big boy recruiting.

I think the roster looks good, but we will have to see if we got good value for the $ spent and if can the staff mold all this talent into an elite team.
We can’t do that calculation without knowing what each player is getting and we do not know. All we have is speculation.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We can’t do that calculation without knowing what each player is getting and we do not know. All we have is speculation.
This again? As I’ve said before, we don’t need to know what each player gets, just broadly what we are spending on the whole team.

We are one of the top NIL spenders in college basketball. #1 or #6 or #3 I don’t know, but it’s somewhere up there, and the analysts that follow recruiting say this too. It also makes sense when you hear our NIL totals and just add up what our players are conservatively making.

We are also top-10 spenders on our coach and bball program (expense budget from athletic dept).

Fans would hope (admin/Cook/Simon, etc. tbd) the team’s results are somewhat proportionate to the spend. Not competing for the conference and getting bounced early in the tourney would be a poor return. Compete for the conference and make some sort of tourney run — that starts to sound reasonably good for resources deployed.

Reactions: CG Paul
This again? As I’ve said before, we don’t need to know what each player gets, just broadly what we are spending on the whole team.

We are one of the top NIL spenders in college basketball. #1 or #6 or #3 I don’t know, but it’s somewhere up there, and the reporters that follow recruiting say this too. It also makes sense when you hear our NIL totals and just add up what our players are conservatively making.

We are also top-10 spenders on our coach and bball program (expense budget from athletic dept).

If we are a borderline top-25 team that gets bounced the first week of the tourney, well then we didn’t get much for our spend on bball. If we are top-15 and hopefully threatening top-10, that’s reasonably good.
But you’re wrong. We absolutely do not know what is being spent on the entire team, let alone each player. It’s 100 percent speculation.

Reactions: baileyiu
But you’re wrong. We absolutely do not know what is being spent on the entire team, let alone each player. It’s 100 percent speculation.
Wrong, we know our NIL spend is among the highest in the country. Every college bball analyst will tell you this.

They are speculating. Opinions and facts are not the same. I know we have people here that do not know the difference, but I didn’t think you were one of them.
No. College bball analysts/reporters talk to all sorts of sources — agents, coaches, ADs, collectives, etc. and then report on what they can confirm.

Everyone knows IU is a top NIL spender — it’s a good thing. You can pretend it’s unknowable if you want, doesn’t matter to me.

No. College bball analysts/reporters talk to all sorts of sources — agents, coaches, ADs, collectives, etc. and then report on what they can confirm.

Everyone knows IU is a top NIL spender — it’s a good thing. You can pretend it’s unknowable if you want, doesn’t matter to me.
I’m a fan of facts, not a fan of speculation.

Good, you can be a fan of the fact IU is a top NIL spender.
And we still don’t know just how much that is. That’s a fact. This reminds me of an interview I saw of one of the players during the tournament. The interviewer said, “its speculated that you got more than $800,O00 in NIL money” or words to that effect. The player laughed and said it wasn’t even half of that. I think everyone is speculating high. It’s like people don’t understand that people only spend what’s necessary to get what’s needed, not more just because they have it to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT