ADVERTISEMENT

I never did see any numbers.

Al Bino

All-American
Dec 18, 2001
What was coach paid here and what is he going to make at ASU?

I know that ASU had history and status on their side but didn't know how competitive IU was on salary.

Per the Google...

Published reports indicate Smith earned a base salary of $200,000 (highest in the Big Ten) at Indiana, about the same as Esmay (ASU's last coach) made last season. The terms of his ASU contract are yet unclear.

We asked Skip what it would take to keep him here...he took the job before he answered.

So, I guess it boiled down to tradition, warm weather and

more of a possibility of winning it all.

Pretty good assessment, from friends who know him and the press

When you crank in the performance bonuses he got in addition to salary, he was very well compensated at IU. What you expressed is what I have gotten from friends in Bloomington who know him and follow IU baseball as well as various articles in the press. I wish him well.

Absolutely. I wish him nothing but the best. He elevated IU baseball

into the national discussion. It seems that there are few coaches that want to build a program to a consistent winner and then continue to win and build. I was hoping he was one of those.

It will interesting to see how things go for him at ASU. While I have no doubt he will have success, will he have the LEVEL of success that ASU fans demand? I would think the pressure would be increased as will the expectations.

He made just over 340k this year with all the bonuses. It wasn't about the money, or what he could leverage into his deal here (he had already done that a few times here). It's Arizona Sate, at the end of the day that's one of the most prestigious jobs in all of college baseball.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I don't see how anyone could begrudge CTS jumping at the chance to run

a thoroughbred program like ASU's....any more than anyone could blame Wilson, should he ever have a 9-10 win season at IU, for then taking an offer from a better football program.

Thanks to Smith for all the great work he did for the baseball program, and thanks to Greenspan for hiring him. Here's hoping Glass can find the right guy to sustain Smith's success, whether it's an "alum" like Neal or Googins, or an assistant from a big-time program like Vandy's Jewett.

I sure don't. I was just hoping that he wanted

to continue building IU and make a legacy of his own here.

I appreciate what he started here, how far he took it and here's to Glass finding someone to continue the climb.

would've been great if he'd stayed, but can't blame him for

wanting to get a few more shots at Stanford, on a yearly basis...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT