ADVERTISEMENT

I know a lot of guys on here are as interested about expansion as I am...

Last edited:
...so here's the latest. I can't see Texas jumping on board, they think they're bigger than everything (being texas, of course). Although it's interesting to read that the Longhorn network is a loss for the mouse.https://247sports.com/college/oklah...lahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/Amp/

If I were making the decision I'd take a hard pass on Texas and instead invite Oklahoma. You could balance that in the east by adding one (perhaps Connecticut).

My preferred approach would be to add CT, UMass, & Temple in the east...; and OK, KA & Ia St in the west (that would add at least four more teams that we could compete with on an even field right away...

And... Schedule cross division games via "seeding" best vs best, worst vs worst...

Last edited:
If I were making the decision I'd take a hard pass on Texas and instead invite Oklahoma. You could balance that in the east by adding one (perhaps Connecticut).

My preferred approach would be to add CT, UMass, & Temple in the east...; and OK, KA & Ia St in the west (that would add at least four more teams that we could compete with on an even field right away...

And... Schedule cross division games via "seeding" best vs best, worst vs worst...

I'm glad you're not making the decision.....yikes.

...so here's the latest. I can't see Texas jumping on board, they think they're bigger than everything (being texas, of course). Although it's interesting to read that the Longhorn network is a loss for the mouse.https://247sports.com/college/oklah...lahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/Amp/

Texas is a sterling academic institution, has a powerful and lucrative athletic department, and would be a ratings and financial boon for the conference, but I just don't think they fit culturally. Oh well, it's not like Rutgers is a good fit, and they suck at literally everything.

And then Delany can make 10 B1G football games mandatory and we can have conference basketball games in November!!!

And then Delany can make 10 B1G football games mandatory and we can have conference basketball games in November!!!
I say we expand to thirty and then have the original members in one division, the newbies from the east in a division with PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, and the newbies from the west in a division with Nebraska. All football games played within the division until a championship playoff with the three division winners and the best 2nd-place team.

Delany can have his super-giant conference and we can actually get back to playing the REAL BIG TEN.

jesus! uconn, umass and temple? for football? let's just expand to 64 teams and we can have our own private end of season basketball tourney.

i nominate you for worst idea of the year award

I can't remember the last time I agreed with Scott. Dropping Rutgers and MD would be a great start.
I would drop 4 and go back to 10 but we know that will never happen. I don't see what PSU and Nebraska brings to the big ten in any other sport than football and NU have not been great lately.

I would drop 4 and go back to 10 but we know that will never happen. I don't see what PSU and Nebraska brings to the big ten in any other sport than football and NU have not been great lately.
Be careful what you wish for, not sure Indiana would ever be safe if it ever truly came to nut cutting time.

If you think the Big Ten would protect Indiana in such a scenario, I think you're wrong. I'm under the impression that the Big Ten and its upper management, could not care less about IU.

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!

expansion has ruined the league already, and screwed up other leagues as well.

and spare me all the "revenue" talk.

expansion itself doesn't bring one cent.

all current revenue gains are 100% attributable to the current pay tv/internet industry landscape, not expansion.

the real purpose of expansion, and the real revenue gains, are in eliminating other rival conferences as pay tv money competitors, making for a tighter oligopoly for the remaining players, and skewing the bidders/biddies ratio.

problem is, you can't blow up other conferences this way, without blowing up the conquering conferences as well.

Here's a final offering:

This won't help us much but it screws pu so I like it;)

Bring Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State into the West Division; "move purdue to the East Division";), and also bring in West Virginia and Massachusetts into the East Division...

That breaks down as:

TX, OK, KA, NE, IaSt, IA, MN, WI, NW & IL in the West...

M$U, MI, pu, INDIANA, o$u, p$u, WV, MD, Rutgers, & MA in the East...

There's a lot of long time natural rivalries in those divisions...

I'd like to see the cross division games seeded: best to best, worst to worst (using the most current five year record).

Here's a final offering:

This won't help us much but it screws pu so I like it;)

Bring Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa State into the West Division; "move purdue to the East Division";), and also bring in West Virginia and Massachusetts into the East Division...

That breaks down as:

TX, OK, KA, NE, IaSt, IA, MN, WI, NW & IL in the West...

M$U, MI, pu, INDIANA, o$u, p$u, WV, MD, Rutgers, & MA in the East...

There's a lot of long time natural rivalries in those divisions...

I'd like to see the cross division games seeded: best to best, worst to worst (using the most current five year record).

to what possible end???

did you just hate having a B10 conf in the 1st place?

Reactions: 82hoosier
to what possible end???

did you just hate having a B10 conf in the 1st place?

I'm just playing around on a sports forum... That's one scenario "if" they decide to expand.

You have nothing to worry about. Delaney stopped calling me after I told him what I thought about the officiating...;)

My actual preference "if" we had to expand would be to bring as many teams into the fold as we could who we would have a ligit shot at beating semi regularly... Again, no worries ...

Be careful what you wish for, not sure Indiana would ever be safe if it ever truly came to nut cutting time.

If you think the Big Ten would protect Indiana in such a scenario, I think you're wrong. I'm under the impression that the Big Ten and its upper management, could not care less about IU.
You do realize that IU sports program has won 24 national championships which is 6th most of all the big ten teams. Yes we struggle in football but to say the big ten doesn't care about IU is wrong. Even tough we have struggled in basketball lately we are still one of the biggest draws in the conference both locally and nationally. Right now our soccer team is playing the final four looking for their 9th championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT