ADVERTISEMENT

I had a sit-down w my 79 year old mother and told her it's high time she start watching my kids for free.

UTFO

Hall of Famer
Feb 2, 2004
This JD Vance has a fresh sound.

My parents live on a fixed income, have physical problems and have already raised their kids...but that's no excuse when child care costs are out of control!

Why should they get to enjoy their well earned retirement while I have to take care of these children I brought into the world?

Vance also has a fresh idea on inflation: make your parents pay for all your shit, that way you personally avoid inflation.

Easy peasy 1 2 3sy.

Yet it was no comparison to Trump's child care prose performed to an auditorium of economists. I'm sure they came away impressed. "Child care is child care" was brilliant. Nothing like busting out the associative property of equality. A most certainly equals A. I give Trump some credit for even acknowledging that much.

Trump went on about tariffs, that old intellectual conservative calling card. Conservatives and their tariffs, again...pfft!

Ever think what a 60% tariff on China would do? I mean, did any family farms survive Trump's last round wo the help of billions in welfare? Way to make farmers feel worthwhile, Trump. Pay them while you destroy their markets. smh at any farmer voting for this moron.

And a flat 10% on every other country's export? My god. His answer to reducing child care costs is literally "by doubling the price of everything else!"

Just another reason to hate Trump. Picking this tool. I’m actually glad he didn’t pick a reasonably sound Republican because this will send another worthless pile of crap to the trash heap after this election. Now that I have that out of the way I’m going to call my 84 year old mother living in a retirement center and ask her if she’ll watch my dogs since my kids are grown 😂😂

Just another reason to hate Trump. Picking this tool. I’m actually glad he didn’t pick a reasonably sound Republican because this will send another worthless pile of crap to the trash heap after this election. Now that I have that out of the way I’m going to call my 84 year old mother living in a retirement center and ask her if she’ll watch my dogs since my kids are grown 😂😂
Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade

@DANC another die hard conservative who voted for Obama, is for gun control, abortion, and doesn’t miss an opportunity on here to talk shit about Republicans 😂

Not sure. I don’t spend my time on here though claiming I was a conservative when I voted for Obama.

I don’t care Aloha, Whyis, or others are moderates or even liberals, just be honest about it.
Apparently you missed the fact that it was the FIRST time I ever voted for a democrat. I vote for the person not the party. Sorry I don’t suck the dear leader’s titty like some here do

Apparently you missed the fact that it was the FIRST time I ever voted for a democrat. I vote for the person not the party. Sorry I don’t suck the dear leader’s titty like some here do
You also said you voted for Trump twice. He was such a great person in 2020🤣 I haven’t missed anything.

Reactions: ulrey and DANC
Drove by Vance’s house today. Honked the horn and flipped him off
My old boss lives in palm and said they closed south ocean after the Trump assassination attempt. Just closed an entire part of the road. He said traffic has been unpredictable and horrible ever since the first trump ran for office and now it’s unbearable. Total nightmare.

That’s not fair to you or residents.

My parents live on a fixed income, have physical problems and have already raised their kids...but that's no excuse when child care costs are out of control!

Why should they get to enjoy their well earned retirement while I have to take care of these children I brought into the world?

Vance also has a fresh idea on inflation: make your parents pay for all your shit, that way you personally avoid inflation.

Easy peasy 1 2 3sy.

Yet it was no comparison to Trump's child care prose performed to an auditorium of economists. I'm sure they came away impressed. "Child care is child care" was brilliant. Nothing like busting out the associative property of equality. A most certainly equals A. I give Trump some credit for even acknowledging that much.

Trump went on about tariffs, that old intellectual conservative calling card. Conservatives and their tariffs, again...pfft!

Ever think what a 60% tariff on China would do? I mean, did any family farms survive Trump's last round wo the help of billions in welfare? Way to make farmers feel worthwhile, Trump. Pay them while you destroy their markets. smh at any farmer voting for this moron.

And a flat 10% on every other country's export? My god. His answer to reducing child care costs is literally "by doubling the price of everything else!"
@mcmurtry66 This is a good example of where Vance actually came close to a good point, but couldn't land it because he didn't truly understand it.

What kind of grandparents are anything other than ecstatic to watch and care for their grandkids?

Grandparents have always taken on significant childcare responsibilities in my family.

It’s not about shirking responsibility or shifting financial burden. That’s a pretty toxic ****ing family the OP grew up in.

Easy peasy 1 2 3sy.

Only a moron like yourself wouldn’t realize the tariff issue and who is on the same side as Trump

Reactions: ulrey and DANC
What kind of grandparents are anything other than ecstatic to watch and care for their grandkids?

Grandparents have always taken on significant childcare responsibilities in my family.

It’s not about shirking responsibility or shifting financial burden. That’s a pretty toxic ****ing family the OP grew up in.

The main problem is we fell in love with the nuclear family and scattered far from grandparents

I grew up in the extended family, my paternal grandparents lived with us. Largely because my grandfather's only skill was driving mule teams, something no longer needed. My grandmother knew how to cook, and kill/prepare farm animals. Not helpful in the city. Neither were in great health.

So, bless their hearts, they watched me. Neither were capable of really watching me, seldom had any idea where I was.

Right now my grandchild (and 80 days from 3 grandkids) are 90 minutes away. Since I am at absolute best 10 months from retirement, and after last week's market maybe more), how can I provide daily help? If I work to full retirement, it is 3 years away. So yes, my wife and I can help on weekends. But my daughter soon will have 3 kids under 3, with the cost of daycare it is, daily help the family will need. And we didn't have kids until our thirties, and the same for our daughter, so we are older (closer to retirement ) than many grandparents.

Reactions: larsIU
The main problem is we fell in love with the nuclear family and scattered far from grandparents

I grew up in the extended family, my paternal grandparents lived with us. Largely because my grandfather's only skill was driving mule teams, something no longer needed. My grandmother knew how to cook, and kill/prepare farm animals. Not helpful in the city. Neither were in great health.

So, bless their hearts, they watched me. Neither were capable of really watching me, seldom had any idea where I was.

Right now my grandchild (and 80 days from 3 grandkids) are 90 minutes away. Since I am at absolute best 10 months from retirement, and after last week's market maybe more), how can I provide daily help? If I work to full retirement, it is 3 years away. So yes, my wife and I can help on weekends. But my daughter soon will have 3 kids under 3, with the cost of daycare it is, daily help the family will need. And we didn't have kids until our thirties, and the same for our daughter, so we are older (closer to retirement ) than many grandparents.
Not a knock on you, Marv, at all, but some people - like myself - move to where their grandchildren are so they can be around their grandparents. And we didn't move until we sold our house and built one down here, so our first grandchild was almost 1 before we moved here.

Life is a series of choices. If you want your grandkids to grow up around you, you can move closer. 90 minutes isn't that far away at all. I'm not knocking you for your choices, but choices they are. You're not locked into living in Bloomington after retirement (much as I'd like to be).

I don't want this post to appear judgemental, because it's not. Just pointing out that there are options.

Not a knock on you, Marv, at all, but some people - like myself - move to where their grandchildren are so they can be around their grandparents. And we didn't move until we sold our house and built one down here, so our first grandchild was almost 1 before we moved here.

Life is a series of choices. If you want your grandkids to grow up around you, you can move closer. 90 minutes isn't that far away at all. I'm not knocking you for your choices, but choices they are. You're not locked into living in Bloomington after retirement (much as I'd like to be).

I don't want this post to appear judgemental, because it's not. Just pointing out that there are options.

There are options. But are all your grandkids in the same area? That isn't guaranteed. We have two daughters in Greenwood, one in Fishers. We have considered Greenfield or New Pal. But that cannot happen until we retire. And that assumes none of the 3 move further away.

There are options. But are all your grandkids in the same area? That isn't guaranteed. We have two daughters in Greenwood, one in Fishers. We have considered Greenfield or New Pal. But that cannot happen until we retire. And that assumes none of the 3 move further away.
Yes, we just have one daughter and they are all in one place.

Personally, I doubt we would have moved if she and her husband had moved anywhere in central Indiana. I'm used to driving and an hour or hour and a half drive mean nothing to me. I'm just used to it, But being in N. Carolina was just too far away.

What has kind of surprised me is, my son-in-law's dad still lives in Kokomo and seesthe kids a few times a year, although he does come down and they meet up in the Smokies to camp with them. But the kids know them and remember them. There is a connection there and I'm glad for him and that the kids know him. I think it's very important that there's a connection between grandchildren and grandparents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Yes, we just have one daughter and they are all in one place.

Personally, I doubt we would have moved if she and her husband had moved anywhere in central Indiana. I'm used to driving and an hour or hour and a half drive mean nothing to me. I'm just used to it, But being in N. Carolina was just too far away.

What has kind of surprised me is, my son-in-law's dad still lives in Kokomo and seesthe kids a few times a year, although he does come down and they meet up in the Smokies to camp with them. But the kids know them and remember them. There is a connection there and I'm glad for him and that the kids know him. I think it's very important that there's a connection between grandchildren and grandparents.

I know several who retired and moved south to get out of the weather. I don't understand it myself, I want to go to games/recitals, whatever. But to each their own.

Reactions: DANC
I know several who retired and moved south to get out of the weather. I don't understand it myself, I want to go to games/recitals, whatever. But to each their own.
We moved to an 'over 55' community mainly because we thought it would be easy maintenance and we could just take off whenever we wanted to, and it's worked out pretty well in that regard. Although I do miss mowing the lawn sometimes - but quickly get over it.

It has indoor and outdoor pools and we were assured grandkids could use them. Well, almost right after we moved in there was an effort to ban kids from the pools. The developer still runs the HOA, so they made limited hours for both pools, which I thought was fair. But about 6 months ago, there was a lot of complaining because kids were being 'loud', and they banned kids from the indoor pool altogether.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the number of people who don't want kids around - at all. Especially the older people in the community. Some of these people should never have been parents.

Not sure. I don’t spend my time on here though claiming I was a conservative when I voted for Obama.

I don’t care Aloha, Whyis, or others are moderates or even liberals, just be honest about it.
I’m the same conservative Republican I’ve been for decades now. You new MAGA “Republicans” aren’t the party gate keepers.

I should NOT have to say this, but these things are not anywhere close to being the same

1) "being around" the grandparents for occasional visits
2) leaving kids with the grandparents for a weekend visit or a "date night" every now and then (maybe once monthly, if they are up to it?)
3) relying on grandparents for actual regular daycare, 40 hrs/ week or even 10 hrs a week

The amount of people for which #3 is a workable option is pretty close to zilch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT