ADVERTISEMENT

I agree the O looked good. Still a lot of concern if Nate goes down.

d_c_arpasi

All-Big Ten
Feb 4, 2004
Also Harris dropped a corner route that Nate dropped right in. Can't miss those. All in all, the WRs had good improvement.

We're really screwed again if Sudfeld goes down. Zander...

has shown a lot of improvement, but he can't make the throws Sudfeld can. The other QBs are not ready.

It's a long time until fall. I have confidence that if needed Zander will be there for us this year. I believe we will win 9 no matter who the quarterback is. Yes I understand these are some extremely Crimson glasses I'm looking through.

This post was edited on 4/19 5:56 PM by 4th&short

This post was edited on 4/19 5:57 PM by 4th&short

Re: I agree the O looked good. Still a lot of concern if Nate goes d

9? I'd settle for 7! Hope you're right tho! Indy Star talked about a RS year for Zander.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: I also see a RS for Zander if Suds stays healthy.

Unless he's injured, Diamont won't be redshirted.

Expecting Nate to play every meaningful offensive play is expecting a lot.

I sure hope the O-line is as good as they hope.

I'd love to see Sudfeld be an alternate source . . .

for gaining yardage this year. If we can be an effective run-first offense, then Sudfeld's health and effectiveness as a passer both would have much better opportunities to be successful.

Improved special teams - especially punting the ball - would also help his chances of being successful.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:47 AM by Sope Creek

Re: Expecting Nate to play every meaningful offensive play is expecting a lot.

I think what we might see is Boudreau/Cameron being used as the backups in garbage time and if Nate needs to sit for a snap or a series to get something taped up or shake off a hit.

But if Nate is going to be out for a game(s) then Diamont will play.

Re: Expecting Nate to play every meaningful offensive play is expecting a lot.

Well here is Wilson's specific quote on the matter

"If Zander's the two and all of a sudden you need him, he plays," Wilson said. "But if you stay healthy and the game's over, 'Hey Danny, we've already used your year.' You always have that option to do that."

after what happened last year

You would think Wilson would realize how much you need two competent quarterbacks. Maybe that's why he's struggled and why his quarterback recruiting hasn't been so hot.

Re: after what happened last year

Wilson certainly knows its an issue, there's just not much that can change the situation in the short term.

Hell, a year ago at this time, IU had two quality QBs on the roster both with 2 years of eligibility left.

I don't think he thinks Zander will be #2.....

I think they feel like King will be better and he'll get the #2 reps.

Re: I don't think he thinks Zander will be #2.....

That's even scarier. Did they forget how that worked last year when they had to play a kid who wasn't ready?

You're assuming Zander is ready now.....

I think they'll play the guy with a higher ceiling, and that's King, imho.

No

He mismanaged the quarterback situation last year, leaving them vulnerable to the injury that occurred. He should avoid it if he can. And he's had trouble recruiting a top flight quarterback perhaps due to his reputation.

Re: You're assuming Zander is ready now.....

I'm sure Diamont is much more ready than King, since he's been through two spring practices and over half a season. King was pretty lightly recruited if you recall. Not sure he's the guy for a few years. Why not go with experience since not having it last year hurt so bad?

Re: No

How did he mismanage the QB situation? Should he have not signed Roberson's transfer papers? What is a guy supposed to do right before fall camp?

Reactions: muubell

Exactly. Wilson had the unfortunate problem of having 3 very good quarterbacks who all were good enough to be starters (not sure in what universe that qualifies as poor recruiting). Two did not want to want to be in a position to be back ups and opted to transfer. The second chose a lousy time to make that decision - screwing his coaches and teammates in the process. It's easy to forget that the Hoosiers still had two quarterbacks taking regular practice snaps and getting minor game time when Nate went down.

In the most freakishly unfortunate scenario imaginable, both backups were lost at the same time. A kid who was came to IU certain to redshirt and 5th on the depth chart was all that was left and had to be thrown to the wolves. If that's mismanagement, then I don't know the meaning of the word.

Both Diamont and the coaching staff did an admirable job given the circumstances. My guess is that if at all possible, Boudreau and Cameron will be the first guys to play if something should happen again to Sudfeld. If at all possible, I suspect that both Diamont and King will redshirt. From what Wilson said, it would appear that Wilson will only use Diamont if he knows that Sudfeld will miss significant time and the other guys aren't up to the task of running the offense effectively. Seems like a sound strategy to me.

Maybe what's being forgotten in all this is that Boudreau will be ready to play by the fall and he will probably be given the first shot at the backup job.

Reactions: muubell

Exactly. Wilson had the unfortunate problem of having 3 very good quarterbacks who all were good enough to be starters (not sure in what universe that qualifies as poor recruiting). Two did not want to want to be in a position to be back ups and opted to transfer. The second chose a lousy time to make that decision - screwing his coaches and teammates in the process. It's easy to forget that the Hoosiers still had two quarterbacks taking regular practice snaps and getting minor game time when Nate went down.

In the most freakishly unfortunate scenario imaginable, both backups were lost at the same time. A kid who was came to IU certain to redshirt and 5th on the depth chart was all that was left and had to be thrown to the wolves. If that's mismanagement, then I don't know the meaning of the word.

Both Diamont and the coaching staff did an admirable job given the circumstances. My guess is that if at all possible, Boudreau and Cameron will be the first guys to play if something should happen again to Sudfeld. If at all possible, I suspect that both Diamont and King will redshirt. From what Wilson said, it would appear that Wilson will only use Diamont if he knows that Sudfeld will miss significant time and the other guys aren't up to the task of running the offense effectively. Seems like a sound strategy to me.

Maybe what's being forgotten in all this is that Boudreau will be ready to play by the fall and he will probably be given the first shot at the backup job.
I dont think he's a Big Ten level player, at least from what I've seen at practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT