ADVERTISEMENT

I actually went to the game today

ce36ei

Senior
Sep 14, 2019
Made it mid 3rd quarter before I left. That place was DEAD. The worst in the Allen era for sure. There was maybe 20k at kickoff, I’d say at one point it made it to 37,500k but when I left it was back in the 20’s.

If you don’t cut your losses now you risk going back to the beginning of the DiNardo era where 25k was a really good crowd.

Made it mid 3rd quarter before I left. That place was DEAD. The worst in the Allen era for sure. There was maybe 20k at kickoff, I’d say at one point it made it to 37,500k but when I left it was back in the 20’s.

If you don’t cut your losses now you risk going back to the beginning of the DiNardo era where 25k was a really good crowd.

Felt very, very Dinardo-esque today made even more cringeworthy listening to that buffoon on the mic in the endzone yelling nonsense during timeouts and watching Allen clap his hands after bad plays. We’d give up a touchdown and he’d walk out to give the defense a hand slap coming off the field. Truly bizarre.

I was going to post something very similar about attendance numbers. But I was going to frame it along the lines of “IU fans get the team they deserve.” This post is not directed at you, BTW, just a similar setup with the dead ass crowd.

The number in the stadium at kickoff and the number who left at half of a conference game in which IU was the underdog, in which IU was down 3 after straight up gifting Rutgers 10 points, of freaking homecoming is embarrassing.

“But TMFT, they whine, I would totally be there cheering my guts out if we were competing for natties.” Duh, of course they would. It’s easy to be a front runner.

And, IMO, this is still no where close to tye Dinardo years.

Reactions: 76-1
There was nothing to get excited about in that entire game. Rutgers literally ran a Middle School offense and we had no answer. Flaming the fans who showed up is idiotic.

I’ve been to at least 4 games a year since 1998. I’ve seen that place at its deadest. It wasn’t Nichols State dead, but the deadest the Allen tenure has ever been. Remember, this was homecoming. There will be nobody there for the Wisconsin game.

Haven’t been to a game since 89. Mostly haven’t had the time but waiting for a good team to spend my money.

Reactions: BayernFan
There was nothing to get excited about in that entire game. Rutgers literally ran a Middle School offense and we had no answer. Flaming the fans who showed up is idiotic.

I’ve been to at least 4 games a year since 1998. I’ve seen that place at its deadest. It wasn’t Nichols State dead, but the deadest the Allen tenure has ever been. Remember, this was homecoming. There will be nobody there for the Wisconsin game.
I’ll start off with agreeing whole heartedly with your last line about the wiscy game.

I disagree on flaming the fans. What did they need to see to stay into the second half? A 40-10 IU lead?

Competitive conference games where the team is outperforming the spread in raw numbers and in overall performance and the team has a fighting chance to win is the epitome of the kind of game people shouldn’t be in a hurry to get back to the tailgate. If they want to wait til it starts getting out of hand, then I won’t fault that. But the thousands who go to leave at halftime of a game like that I have very little use for. Just don’t come in. Buy the tix and get the priority points for basketball.

I left after Indiana punted the ball away for the first time in the 3rd. Rutgers came out at halftime, punched em in the mouth, and we showed zero fight after that. Knew there was no reason to stay. We don’t come back in games like that, especially with the anemic offense.

Stopped at Culver’s on the way home where they had the game on and it was 31-14. Knew I had once again made the right choice. I’m not a tailgater. I leave out of disgust. I wish like hell I could stay all game. There just isn’t a point anymore!

I was going to post something very similar about attendance numbers. But I was going to frame it along the lines of “IU fans get the team they deserve.” This post is not directed at you, BTW, just a similar setup with the dead ass crowd.

The number in the stadium at kickoff and the number who left at half of a conference game in which IU was the underdog, in which IU was down 3 after straight up gifting Rutgers 10 points, of freaking homecoming is embarrassing.

“But TMFT, they whine, I would totally be there cheering my guts out if we were competing for natties.” Duh, of course they would. It’s easy to be a front runner.

God bless you for your dedication. I'm truly grateful for fans like yourself.

That being said, there's a LOT of gray area between getting manhandled by Rutgers and competing for natties.

It's tough to pack up the family, drive four hours, pay silly prices for tickets, silly prices for concessions, silly prices for a hotel and then just basically be Chinese water-tortured by our ongoing, annual, mind-numbing special teams incompetence.

I love IU but, I mean, we, cannot get through a single game without messing up stuff that, literally, almost every other team in the country just, kind of, takes for granted. (e.g. Kickoffs that stay in bounds, catching kicks, punting).

It's just too pathetic and terrible right now to even make an effort to care about.

God bless you for your dedication. I'm truly grateful for fans like yourself.

That being said, there's a LOT of gray area between getting manhandled by Rutgers and competing for natties.

It's tough to pack up the family, drive four hours, pay silly prices for tickets, silly prices for concessions, silly prices for a hotel and then just basically be Chinese water-tortured by our ongoing, annual, mind-numbing special teams incompetence.

I love IU but, I mean, we, cannot get through a single game without messing up stuff that, literally, almost every other team in the country just, kind of, takes for granted. (e.g. Kickoffs that stay in bounds, catching kicks, punting).

It's just too pathetic and terrible right now to even make an effort to care about.
I’m not necessarily asking everyone to make the investment to go to the games. Lord knows it gets expensive, and that much more so if it’s not a day trip.

But for the 40k ish people who have come to the game but don’t show up in the stands and/or leave at halftime of this particular game, I don’t get it.

Like I said, I don’t fault ce36ei’s logic on the third quarter body blow Rutgers came out with followed by an IU punt. It was personally too early for me, but there was logic (correctly so as it turned out) in the decision. Showing up late or leaving at half of this game is just laziness, IMO.

Reactions: SixthFlagComing
Just got back from Bloomington. First year having season tickets and will most likely renew. Today was the worst gameday experience we’ve had. Sat on 13th street for an hour to go two blocks to get into the lots. Traffic management was a joke as roads that are normally blocked cars were going down causing gridlock. I’ve been to a lot of major events and only the ‘96 Olympic Games in Atlanta have I experienced worse.

As for the game. Agree it was a low energy crowd and I don’t think IU is a great gameday experience for fans. I could do without the hype guy. He’s pretty annoying.

I don’t fault fans for leaving early when the product isn’t good. We stay to the end but it can be hard at times. The only positive to staying is the traffic getting out of Bloomington is a lot easier.

Reactions: TMFT and IUgradman
I noticed how effed up traffic was today too. I park on 10th and walk up but there was gridlock everywhere on my walk up. It was like a sellout crowd gridlock.

Don’t even get me started on Gameday experience. It’s awful. While the band is great musically, our marching performances are a joke, the hype man is insufferable, and Hoosier Wipeout needs wiped out.

Just got back from Bloomington. First year having season tickets and will most likely renew. Today was the worst gameday experience we’ve had. Sat on 13th street for an hour to go two blocks to get into the lots. Traffic management was a joke as roads that are normally blocked cars were going down causing gridlock. I’ve been to a lot of major events and only the ‘96 Olympic Games in Atlanta have I experienced worse.

As for the game. Agree it was a low energy crowd and I don’t think IU is a great gameday experience for fans. I could do without the hype guy. He’s pretty annoying.

I don’t fault fans for leaving early when the product isn’t good. We stay to the end but it can be hard at times. The only positive to staying is the traffic getting out of Bloomington is a lot easier.
Bro. The traffic pattern getting into the grass lots is an unmitigated DISASTER.

We’ve taken to showing up at 6AM to be able to get to our spots quickly. We’ve been on the other end of that hour wait to get in before and started to figure, if it’s gonna be an hour to get in either way, might as well be an hour to get in first.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Only at IU can traffic for 30,000 to 40,000 be such a nightmare. Other schools do it much more quickly and efficiently with 2-3 times as many. It’s gotten worse with this BS Zipper parking too. Have tailgated in the Grass Lots since it was free, hardly anyone else was there and the Green Ghetto WAS still there. After what I experienced getting in for the “huge tilt” vs Akron, I seriously wondered if I will ever park there again.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT and IUgradman
I was worried for the OSU game and that was a breeze. What was worse was they had people directing traffic but there just wasn’t anywhere to go. How they allowed cars to go around barricades, down roads that are supposed to be one way on game day and the slowness to actually get you scanned into the lot is bad.

I lived in Atlanta for 13 years and went to my share of Braves and Falcons games in the 90’s and the way they got you in and out was pretty good. We texted my daughter and her friends and they found us at 13th and Indiana so we just popped the cooler open and they had some food and beverages standing next to the car as we inched along.

I turned onto Dunn right at 9:45. I made the turn onto 13th around 10ish. Got into the grass lots at 11:05. Every other game so far has taken me about 15 minutes from the time I turn onto Dunn.

Bro. The traffic pattern getting into the grass lots is an unmitigated DISASTER.

We’ve taken to showing up at 6AM to be able to get to our spots quickly. We’ve been on the other end of that hour wait to get in before and started to figure, if it’s gonna be an hour to get in either way, might as well be an hour to get in first.

I’ll make a complaint to Sheriff Taylor. Usually Barney and Otis direct traffic a lot better in town… But Barney forgot his bullet today and Dolt-son was over at Floyd’s getting his hair trimmed.

#Mayberry U.

Reactions: IUgradman

Wisky is Dad’s weekend- I’m bringing a group of 10 down.

Felt very, very Dinardo-esque today made even more cringeworthy listening to that buffoon on the mic in the endzone yelling nonsense during timeouts and watching Allen clap his hands after bad plays. We’d give up a touchdown and he’d walk out to give the defense a hand slap coming off the field. Truly bizarre.
Excited College Sports GIF by Indiana Hoosiers

I noticed how effed up traffic was today too. I park on 10th and walk up but there was gridlock everywhere on my walk up. It was like a sellout crowd gridlock.

Don’t even get me started on Gameday experience. It’s awful. While the band is great musically, our marching performances are a joke, the hype man is insufferable, and Hoosier Wipeout needs wiped out.
Hoosier Wipeout was more fun when the Announcer used to say "hang ten with the cheerleaders!"

There were likely 60k on site. Beautiful day to hang out with old friends.

We stayed inside until the end of the Q3 but our tailgate never shut down.

Need more people in the stands to mercilessly boo Tom Allen in to oblivion. IU should have given refunds for the coaching malpractice at the end of the first half which effectively lost IU the game.

Need more people in the stands to mercilessly boo Tom Allen in to oblivion. IU should have given refunds for the coaching malpractice at the end of the first half which effectively lost IU the game.
I'm no fan of Tom Allen and I definitely think he has to go at the end of the season. That said, the game was lost Saturday by two horrible special teams blunders and the inability of our defense to stop simple running plays that everybody within a mile of Memorial Stadium knew were coming. All of it of course is indirectly the responsibility of the head coach but the real problem Saturday in my opionion was an inferior DL. We got pushed off the LOS every single play even though we knew Rutgers couldn't throw the ball to save its soul. We have to find a coach and staff who can recruit better linemen and develop those linemen on both sides of the ball. Until that happens, nothing else matters.

Reactions: DANC
I’m not necessarily asking everyone to make the investment to go to the games. Lord knows it gets expensive, and that much more so if it’s not a day trip.

But for the 40k ish people who have come to the game but don’t show up in the stands and/or leave at halftime of this particular game, I don’t get it.

Like I said, I don’t fault ce36ei’s logic on the third quarter body blow Rutgers came out with followed by an IU punt. It was personally too early for me, but there was logic (correctly so as it turned out) in the decision. Showing up late or leaving at half of this game is just laziness, IMO.
Too many people just don’t care, and the University makes that all too easy with just about everything they do surrounding the program. We really do have the program we both demand and deserve. Hope we someday decide to stop tolerating failure and change our attitude . . . It would be a welcome change.

I'm no fan of Tom Allen and I definitely think he has to go at the end of the season. That said, the game was lost Saturday by two horrible special teams blunders and the inability of our defense to stop simple running plays that everybody within a mile of Memorial Stadium knew were coming. All of it of course is indirectly the responsibility of the head coach but the real problem Saturday in my opionion was an inferior DL. We got pushed off the LOS every single play even though we knew Rutgers couldn't throw the ball to save its soul. We have to find a coach and staff who can recruit better linemen and develop those linemen on both sides of the ball. Until that happens, nothing else matters.
Rutgers knew what they could do offensively and realized they could be patient, as our ineffectiveness (on offense) and incompetency (special teams) made for a defense that wore out in the second half. We could’ve led at the half and we’re only down three, but you could see us roll over early in the third quarter and that was it. Leadership matters.

Rutgers knew what they could do offensively and realized they could be patient, as our ineffectiveness (on offense) and incompetency (special teams) made for a defense that wore out in the second half. We could’ve led at the half and we’re only down three, but you could see us roll over early in the third quarter and that was it. Leadership matters.
I'm not disputing that. Given their absolutely inept passing game, do you honestly think that Rutgers can run like that on any halfway decent defense in this conference ? They were five yards at a clip from their opening drive. Our DL is less than somewhat adequate. We need better horses. You have to be able to beat the OL one-on-one, whether it's vs. the run or applying pressure on passing plays. We aren't effective at either.

It doesn't have to be an either/or. Without question our offense is ineffective, but our D couldn't get itself off the field against a team that was competely reliant on running the ball every down from the first possession on.

Reactions: jsenleo
I'm not disputing that. Given their absolutely inept passing game, do you honestly think that Rutgers can run like that on any halfway decent defense in this conference ? They were five yards at a clip from their opening drive. Our DL is less than somewhat adequate. We need better horses. You have to be able to beat the OL one-on-one, whether it's vs. the run or applying pressure on passing plays. We aren't effective at either.

It doesn't have to be an either/or. Without question our offense is ineffective, but our D couldn't get itself off the field against a team that was competely reliant on running the ball every down from the first possession on.
No disagreement . . . We’re bad in all three phases, and Rutgers exposed each of them.

Running a 4-2-5 when their QB isn’t a threat to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field is a coaching decision.

Running a 4-2-5 when their QB isn’t a threat to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field is a coaching decision.
From what I observed, our monster( bull, husky, whatever you choose to call him) was in the box all day and our safeties were up. Still, they had tackles and guards pushing downhill three yards every play and usually at the second level. If you can't win those battles individually when you know what's coming, no alignment is going to make a difference. No strategy makes inferior players successful.
To be clear, I'm not defending the coaches at all. I'm just saying that the primary problem is that this staff can't recruit and develop players. The structure of the defense is a secondary problem at best. The mid-level teams in this league could play against that Rutgers offense in a 4-2-5 and crush it.

There were plenty of boos from the East stands.
This is it for Allen. You cannot go winless in conference 2 out of 3 years and not expect to draw a ton of negative attention. You may be able to survive that in the first couple seasons of a tenure but this is year 7.

Everyone gasps at $20 million but that buyout is like 9th in the conference and 28th in the country. In the grand scheme of things, it’s pretty average.
This could turn out just like the Paul Chryst deal. He was due $20.63 million and settled for $11 mill paid in 2 installments.
Guess where the funds for that buyout came? The University of Wisconsin Foundation.
Uhhhh….the IU Foundation is bringing in money hand over fist. There’s over 100,000 donors and something like $760 mill in gifts pledged.
I think it will be done and virtually zero chance that a coach going 2-10 again survives. If he’s kept, that sends the loud and clear message that “Well, IU has thrown in the towel on their football program because they are 2-10 and are keeping the guy for another year. They don’t care.”

I think the money is there and I think both sides will settle at the end of the year……and then pray that Dolson doesn’t get some insane idea to stroll down to the water cooler and see Teegardem standing then and………

Last edited:

I got there at 8:30 and breezed in. Anyone who tries to get to the stadium an hour before kick-off is going to sit in traffic - I learned that a long time ago.

Only way to avoid traffic jams is to plan to arrive at the parking lots 3 hours before game time. Sucks, but it's the same in any other stadium I've been to.

I got there at 8:30 and breezed in. Anyone who tries to get to the stadium an hour before kick-off is going to sit in traffic - I learned that a long time ago.

Only way to avoid traffic jams is to plan to arrive at the parking lots 3 hours before game time. Sucks, but it's the same in any other stadium I've been to.
The problem with the grass lots started before the lots opened. We were at 10th and Indiana at 6:45 and did not get to the lot until 9:00. I’m sure getting into the surface lots surrounding the stadium is easy as that actually reflects people going into the game. The grass lots are packed with people just there to tailgate.

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
From what I observed, our monster( bull, husky, whatever you choose to call him) was in the box all day and our safeties were up. Still, they had tackles and guards pushing downhill three yards every play and usually at the second level. If you can't win those battles individually when you know what's coming, no alignment is going to make a difference. No strategy makes inferior players successful.
To be clear, I'm not defending the coaches at all. I'm just saying that the primary problem is that this staff can't recruit and develop players. The structure of the defense is a secondary problem at best. The mid-level teams in this league could play against that Rutgers offense in a 4-2-5 and crush it.
Well, for the rest of the year, Rutgers will be joining Indiana in using the 4–2–5 as their basic defense. That is, thanks to your number 76 with his bear hug and bodyslam putting RU’s middle linebacker/best defensive player out for the season. We will see how that defense works out for both Indiana and RU going forward.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Well, for the rest of the year, Rutgers will be joining Indiana in using the 4–2–5 as their basic defense. That is, thanks to your number 76 with his bear hug and bodyslam putting RU’s middle linebacker/best defensive player out for the season. We will see how that defense works out for both Indiana and RU going forward.

Looks like a legal block to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
Looks like a legal block to me.
Are you just making a joke? #76 is face-to-face with #22 with his left hand all the way around his back on top of the 2 and his right hand around the other side of his back almost touching the other 2. Where I come from that is called a “bear hug.“ If he’d let him go at that point, it would only be a penalty he got away with. But he flung him down and landed on him with his full weight, causing a serious fracture of his hand and putting him out for the season. That elevates it to a dirty play.

Are you just making a joke? #76 is face-to-face with #22 with his left hand all the way around his back on top of the 2 and his right hand around the other side of his back almost touching the other 2. Where I come from that is called a “bear hug.“ If he’d let him go at that point, it would only be a penalty he got away with. But he flung him down and landed on him with his full weight, causing a serious fracture of his hand and putting him out for the season. That elevates it to a dirty play.
After seeing the replay, I’ll concede the hold. But that’s not a dirty play. It’s no more violent than a typical pancake block, just a fluke injury.

After seeing the replay, I’ll concede the hold. But that’s not a dirty play. It’s no more violent than a typical pancake block, just a fluke injury.
It wasn’t dirty in the least. It should’ve been flagged as an obvious holding penalty, but there was nothing malicious about it.

Wow, that was the homecoming crowd?
I wonder if the BOT even discusses football.

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT