ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical about Bob Knight

I love this post and you are 100 percent right. When society changed we started to see school shootings and out of control wimpy kids. There's no discipline and no respect anymore.
WHAT?? Seriously... find one shred of evidence that there is a direct connection from what you perceive as a lack of discipline and respect to school shootings. I'd wait... but I can't spend the rest of my life waiting.

WHAT?? Seriously... find one shred of evidence that there is a direct connection from what you perceive as a lack of discipline and respect to school shootings. I'd wait... but I can't spend the rest of my life waiting.
Help me out -- what does this have to do with Coach Knight?

Using your example, there's also a difference between military and a sporting coach. This idea that military practices are a beacon of light to follow for teaching is ridiculous. Military teaches people a lot of things and how to mask pain is one of them. When out on the battlefield, one must overcome pain but the lasting effects of going through that can have adverse effects.
Oh please it shows if your physically and mentally tough enough to handle it. The problem is kids since the late 90’s and up until now are spoiled and soft. If a coach is beating a kid I am all for his removal but putting your hands on him is not abuse.
aerial-view-of-trailer-park-picture-id523674558

You might have to narrow it down, sport.
Lawrenceburg bitch

Oh please it shows if your physically and mentally tough enough to handle it. The problem is kids since the late 90’s and up until now are spoiled and soft. If a coach is beating a kid I am all for his removal but putting your hands on him is not abuse.

Lawrenceburg bitch
The 90s? First of all, people have been whining about the younger generation being spoiled and soft for literally thousands of years. If that were always true, we would all just be giant piles of goo at this point. Second, do you not see a problem with your logic? If all these kids are soft, who made them that way?

The 90s? First of all, people have been whining about the younger generation being spoiled and soft for literally thousands of years. If that were always true, we would all just be giant piles of goo at this point. Second, do you not see a problem with your logic? If all these kids are soft, who made them that way?
People like you.The ones that think just because you play a sport you all should get trophy’s and it’s not ok to spank your child when they do wrong.

Really thousands of years. I guess you were around thousands of years ago. You mean back when everyone but the rich had to work for what they got and not have it handed to them. I guess you came from a family like that and didn’t have to work for anything.

You mean since now you can’t spank your child and kids are shooting kids and when I was a child who got a belt when I did wrong we had no school shootings.

Reactions: crayfish67
You mean since now you can’t spank your child and kids are shooting kids and when I was a child who got a belt when I did wrong we had no school shootings.
Yes. I mean that. There is no correlation there. It's like me saying "When I was young, personal computers didn't exist and there was no terrorism. And now that people own PCs, there is terrorism."

Yes. I mean that. There is no correlation there. It's like me saying "When I was young, personal computers didn't exist and there was no terrorism. And now that people own PCs, there is terrorism."
That's is a stupid comparison. When kids got spanked or a belt they learned not to do bad things. This day and age kids don't get spanked, they just get time out which means nothing to them.

Generational conversations like these remind me of a Daniel Tosh story about when he was yelled at by an older woman who said he was part of an entitled generation that was leading our country into moral bankrupt and Godless society.

Tosh fired back, yeah well your generation didn't even recognize you as a person (as a woman) and made whole race of people drink from separate water fountains.

It's all about life stages.

People now in their 50's and 60's we're from the hippie generation. Lazy as F who did nothing but smoke dope and hug trees. I'm sure my grandfather thought the world was pussifying back then, especially when we let women vote.

I'm an X'r and I heard many times that my generation was lazy, entitled, disrespectful, bitter, liberal, and again we were the leading cause of the pussification of the world.

Gen Y are lazy, pussies, entitled, everyone gets a trophy, soft leading us once again to the pussification of the world.

Blah blah blah

The only constant is the life stage. Teenagers are rebellious and disrespectful, coddled and soft, stupid, etc. Then they mature into adults, start families, learn from previous generations mistakes and progress as a society.

Soon we'll have a Gen X'er as president. Good thing my racist, homophobic grandfather isn't alive to see it when it happens based on his predictions when I was a teenager.

That's is a stupid comparison. When kids got spanked or a belt they learned not to do bad things. This day and age kids don't get spanked, they just get time out which means nothing to them.
And this is just as stupid of a comparison. When you bring facts that show causation, that's when your point is valid. But as there aren't facts that back up your hypothesis, you are only stating your opinion. If you were to look at actual facts, you'd be forced to admit that you are wrong. This is from the American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

Reactions: YOTHN
Oh please it shows if your physically and mentally tough enough to handle it. The problem is kids since the late 90’s and up until now are spoiled and soft.

Okay, so it's not the kids' faults they aren't beaten as a disciplinary measure, thus toughening them up...it was their parents' fault. So, if beating was such a positive and effective manner of discipline when they were children, why do you suppose they chose not to beat their kids when they grew up and had their own?

BTW, any chance this is another ordfan reincarnation?

Okay, so it's not the kids' faults they aren't beaten as a disciplinary measure, thus toughening them up...it was their parents' fault. So, if beating was such a positive and effective manner of discipline when they were children, why do you suppose they chose not to beat their kids when they grew up and had their own?

BTW, any chance this is another ordfan reincarnation?[/QUOTE
I don't think so. Ord (and all of his alter identities) is an obnoxious contrarian, but all of his personalities can at least express a rational thought in a manner that does not permanently damage the English language.

Every time I read one of H_P's posts I know I lose brain cells, but I can't put him on ignore because it's too much fun reading your responses giving him a literary b__ch-slapping. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
And this is just as stupid of a comparison. When you bring facts that show causation, that's when your point is valid. But as there aren't facts that back up your hypothesis, you are only stating your opinion. If you were to look at actual facts, you'd be forced to admit that you are wrong. This is from the American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2012/04/spanking.aspx

You could not have been more spot on. I have been married to a child psychologist for long enough to understand the lasting effects physical harm (even at low levels) can have on a psyche. That's just if it was even effective. Unfortunately for abusers, that method actually does not provide the end effect they believe it does. People who were raised around physical violence always state the punishment resulted in them not repeating the action again but that actually tends not to be the case. Punishment of that variety merely makes one fear getting caught and makes them resent the person punishing them. There are MANY methods that provide a far better outcome than punishment and results in respect, not resentment.

The problem is, we are trying to educate those who automatically jump to defensive mode when they hear spanking conversations. They have grown angry at those who are against it because the generations prior felt that way and called the younger generations soft because they too were raised that way. In time, education will overcome generational brain washing and this thought process will seize to exist. This same thought process stands for many things really.

Reactions: speroni
Educate you just love to use that don't you ? It is not even the proper way it was intended for use . If the whole world would just get educated in the same way. Do you get a gold star saying educate yourself?

Educate you just love to use that don't you ? It is not even the proper way it was intended for use . If the whole world would just get educated in the same way. Do you get a gold star saying educate yourself?

Oddly enough it's only frustrating to those who refuse to do it. The grammar you used in that post proves my point. But GREAT points added to the topic. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough it's only frustrating to those who refuse to do it. The grammar you used in that post proves my point. But GREAT points added to the topic. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE Grrammar? If only the world would '' educate'' themselves to think like I do

Oh boy, where to start on this one. I believe your goal was to quote me and then make a snarky comment but you crossed wires somewhere.

Either way, you doubled down with your incorrect "grrammar" and lack of punctuation. So please, continue to prove my point.....

You could not have been more spot on. I have been married to a child psychologist for long enough to understand the lasting effects physical harm (even at low levels) can have on a psyche. That's just if it was even effective. Unfortunately for abusers, that method actually does not provide the end effect they believe it does. People who were raised around physical violence always state the punishment resulted in them not repeating the action again but that actually tends not to be the case. Punishment of that variety merely makes one fear getting caught and makes them resent the person punishing them. There are MANY methods that provide a far better outcome than punishment and results in respect, not resentment.

The problem is, we are trying to educate those who automatically jump to defensive mode when they hear spanking conversations. They have grown angry at those who are against it because the generations prior felt that way and called the younger generations soft because they too were raised that way. In time, education will overcome generational brain washing and this thought process will seize to exist. This same thought process stands for many things really.

We don't need no education.

427jjjnnm.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT