ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical about Bob Knight

5morebanners

Freshman
Nov 9, 2010
I was listening to Kent Sterling talk about the firing recently. He stated he agreed that a change needed to be made, but a smoother transition would've kept IU more relevant nationally. Captain obvious if you ask me but it got me thinking.

What would the transition have been like? What if Knight lasted until 2006 or 2007? Would he have quit mid season so Pat could finish the season and be set up for being promoted to HC? It's clear he would've wanted to hand the program to his guy. As it turned out, I contend it's likely Pat would've been that guy.

Pat wouldn't have lasted 4 years and would've been fired. Bob goes crazy anyway and boycotts the program.

The end

Last edited:
Reactions: minneman
I was listening to Kent Sterling talk about the firing recently. He stated he agreed that a change needed to be made, but a smoother transition would've kept IU more relevant nationally. Captain obvious if you ask me but it got me thinking.

What would the transition have been like? What if Knight lasted until 2006 or 2007? Would he have quit mid season so Pat could finish the season and be set up for being promoted to HC? It's clear he would've wanted to hand the program to his guy. As it turned out, I contend it's likely Pat would've been that guy.

Pat wouldn't have lasted 4 years and would've been fired. Bob goes crazy anyway and boycotts the program.

The end
it all worked out according to god's plan

Reactions: YOTHN and hondo314

He was a great coach, but......................
He was a misogynistic bully (and certainly desirous of nepotistic hiring of his son, see Texas Tech). It would not have never ended up well under any scenario.
He should have been shown the door earlier than any of us would have liked, as his behavior was never anything we would have tolerated for a minute had we known what was going on in the program. But winning and $$$ have a way of making things look OK.
I know I'll get blasted, but everyone should read the "unauthorized" biography; and it wasn't written as part of a "deep state" conspiracy. He just wasn't what I respect in a decent human being.

The end
Our path would have been similar, only delayed by how many more years RMK stayed.

Reactions: YOTHN and IUgradman
Our path would have been similar, only delayed by how many more years RMK stayed.
Since RMK was RMK...the IU administration should have counselled him earlier about covert abuse and negative PR.

I entered the U. S. Navy between stints at IU. That was in 1971. They had a course in sensitivity training. About discrimination...overt and covert. Not saying RMK discriminated. Saying that even the military understood certain things were changing.

When hired into the business world in 1978, there were written job goals and routine periodic evaluations and corrective measures instituted if warranted.

There were also enlightened administrators in management of IU that knew that one should not do certain non-PC stuff and hurt the image of the overall institution.

That would not have hurt RMK's effectiveness and generalship. It should have been instilled earlier...much earlier.

But, even if he balked at entering the PC world...progressive discipline on RMK's actions would have been more controlled...step by step...and then the transition would have been more thought out.

Of course...in an ideal world.

The flip side...even with the state-of-the-art business school and liberal societal education...IU did not seem to teach personal discipline, interpersonal relationships and negative public relations effects on the institution. The periodic evaluations of his performance with respect to the goals of the institution were lacking.

Bob Knight's winning had everything to do with that. When he stopped winning...he lost the upper hand with respect to the administration. Note that this was at the time of turnover at the top of the IU administration, too.

Double-secret probation...without it being a secret...was in effect.

Loved RMK's competitiveness. The wins were spectacular. His message was clear.

He was doomed because of his ego...without outside counselling and control he would not last at IU.

Then, the transitions were all mishandled. I see Crean's hire as scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Archie Miller's hire makes sense. Sure it is not without naysayers. Understandable.

It all could have been avoided. But, of course, that is hindsight.

The end
A smooth transition would require Bob Knight to understand and accept that it takes two to tango and place the best interests of IU in the same regard as himself. Since the early 90's, Bob Knight tanked the end of his career by not adapting/evolving as a coach (and as a person), most likely because he is incredibly stubborn and does things "his way," and, to this day, blames IU 100% and himself 0% for his downfall. Knight has not returned even for the celebration of his championship teams.

I would agree that a smooth transition was impossible. Say what you will about Gene Keady, but he is the polar opposite of Knight regarding a transition.

Reactions: YOTHN and IUgradman
I firmly believe we would have hung another banner in 2002 and then had Sean May sign on right after.

I don't think enough people realize how much better things had gotten going into the 2000-01 season. The pieces were there. Haston would have stayed on. Andre Owens would have been much better than Donald Perry and Indiana would have won the 2002 Big Ten outright and would have been a very high seed to going into the tourney.

Then they get May. Things had turned the corner. Myles Brand and Clarence Doninger ruined it.

Since RMK was RMK...the IU administration should have counselled him earlier about covert abuse and negative PR.

I entered the U. S. Navy between stints at IU. That was in 1971. They had a course in sensitivity training. About discrimination...overt and covert. Not saying RMK discriminated. Saying that even the military understood certain things were changing.

When hired into the business world in 1978, there were written job goals and routine periodic evaluations and corrective measures instituted if warranted.

There were also enlightened administrators in management of IU that knew that one should not do certain non-PC stuff and hurt the image of the overall institution.

That would not have hurt RMK's effectiveness and generalship. It should have been instilled earlier...much earlier.

But, even if he balked at entering the PC world...progressive discipline on RMK's actions would have been more controlled...step by step...and then the transition would have been more thought out.

The flip side...even with the state-of-the-art business school and liberal societal education...IU did not seem to teach personal discipline, interpersonal relationships and negative public relations effects on the institution. The periodic evaluations of his performance with respect to the goals of the institution were lacking.

Bob Knight's winning had everything to do with that. When he stopped winning...he lost the upper hand with respect to the administration. Note that this was at the time of turnover at the top of the IU administration, too.

He was doomed because of his ego...without outside counselling and control he would not last at IU.

Then, the transitions were all mishandled. I see Crean's hire as scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Archie Miller's hire makes sense. Sure it is not without naysayers. Understandable.

i can see bob knight in sensitivity training. would have made a great reality show.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa and drose
I firmly believe we would have hung another banner in 2002 and then had Sean May sign on right after.

I don't think enough people realize how much better things had gotten going into the 2000-01 season. The pieces were there. Haston would have stayed on. Andre Owens would have been much better than Donald Perry and Indiana would have won the 2002 Big Ten outright and would have been a very high seed to going into the tourney.

Then they get May. Things had turned the corner. Myles Brand and Clarence Doninger ruined it.
Totally disagree with this because I feel if RMK had been here we would not have made that run in 2002. The players had more freedom under Davis and was able to relax and just play basketball. The last 4 or 5 years it just appeared the players were ready for the season to end and was not having any fun at all.

IU, starting with John Ryan and Bill Orwig, "counseled" Knight from the very beginning. He liked both of those men immensely and nevertheless blew them off repeatedly. He had far less personal respect and affection for most of the administrators and IU "friends" that followed, and he didn't really listen to any of them, either. But they tried. For all 29 years.

The end
Totally agree. Pat Knight would have been a disaster like he was at TTech. Unfortunately, it would have ended bad no matter what.

IU, starting with John Ryan and Bill Orwig, "counseled" Knight from the very beginning. He liked both of those men immensely and nevertheless blew them off repeatedly. He had far less personal respect and affection for most of the administrators and IU "friends" that followed, and he didn't really listen to any of them, either. But they tried. For all 29 years.
I would agree and also throw in Ralph Floyd. He certainly respected any discipline they doled out. Subsequent presidents/AD’s seemed to enable his poor behavior through inappropriate resolutions for his transgressions.

I would agree and also throw in Ralph Floyd. He certainly respected any discipline they doled out. Subsequent presidents/AD’s seemed to enable his poor behavior through inappropriate resolutions for his transgressions.
I'm not sure how much he respected the very few disciplinary actions any of those three issued, but he certainly respected them as people.

He was doomed because the media had a vendetta and were not going to stop until they unearthed every indiscretion they could find. Even 18 years later they are unrelenting.

Knight had back to back poor recruiting classes in the 93-94 and 94-95 freshmen. There were numerous transfers and off court problems. It nearly cost him, and in a way, it eventually did, even though he had a fantastic team heading into the 00-01 season. He hired Mike Davis to fix recruiting woes and he got back out on the road himself. He got Fide. He got Newton. He got Haston, Jeffrries, and Owens. The ship had been righted, and to be frank, Reed did not oust Knight, Felling did. Felling had fallen onto bad times again and looked for revenge. He got it.

Reactions: kmathum and abraxis

I understand your optimism, but no way the 2002 team would have won the title. They had double digit losses if I recall, and didn't really impress anyone all season until the big dance. Add in a great but super lucky win vs Duke to enhance their run, plus the insane 3 point shooting barrage IU suddenly became, makes it even a bigger accomplishment that they even got to the final game. It was a wonderful ride though.

He was doomed because the media had a vendetta and were not going to stop until they unearthed every indiscretion they could find. Even 18 years later they are unrelenting.

Knight had back to back poor recruiting classes in the 93-94 and 94-95 freshmen. There were numerous transfers and off court problems. It nearly cost him, and in a way, it eventually did, even though he had a fantastic team heading into the 00-01 season. He hired Mike Davis to fix recruiting woes and he got back out on the road himself. He got Fide. He got Newton. He got Haston, Jeffrries, and Owens. The ship had been righted, and to be frank, Reed did not oust Knight, Felling did. Felling had fallen onto bad times again and looked for revenge. He got it.
Knight's media problem is the same as Trump's. Those media guys weld their power through the written word and it's human nature to want to get even, if not ahead.

I was never one who thought Knight would insist that they hire his son, who may have been Knight's favorite player, but never his favorite coach to replace him. Number one, he had no head coaching experience and that negates the need for subsequent numbers. Yes, I know Davis had no experience, but it was the players who hired him, not anyone in the proper frame of mind at the time.

I like to think IU would have been alright with Knight staying on, as you speculate, but younger fans bought into the media's negativity and a relatively large portion of parents of these kids who were long time supporters of anything IU, listened to them and believing in their kids, were themselves swayed to turn against him.

EVERYTHING runs in cycles. Remember this one when all other reasoning fails to make sense. It's the line found at the bottom of the list. IU basketball fell victim to the inevitable cycle in everything.

Reactions: kmathum
A smooth transition would require Bob Knight to understand and accept that it takes two to tango and place the best interests of IU in the same regard as himself. Since the early 90's, Bob Knight tanked the end of his career by not adapting/evolving as a coach (and as a person), most likely because he is incredibly stubborn and does things "his way," and, to this day, blames IU 100% and himself 0% for his downfall. Knight has not returned even for the celebration of his championship teams.

I would agree that a smooth transition was impossible. Say what you will about Gene Keady, but he is the polar opposite of Knight regarding a transition.
What championships did Keady attend?

Reactions: stripetology
Totally disagree with this because I feel if RMK had been here we would not have made that run in 2002. The players had more freedom under Davis and was able to relax and just play basketball. The last 4 or 5 years it just appeared the players were ready for the season to end and was not having any fun at all.
I always felt this way of thinking was just a silly attempt to rationalize our feelings at the time. The years we won his other three banners this concept was never mentioned, "Gee, it's amazing Bob's boys were able to win the championship as burnt out as they looked this late in the season." That particular team with a core of Jeffries, Fife, AJ, Coverdale, et.al. had some talent and grit to go with it. We were blessed with an easy draw to the Final Four (think Kent State) other than Duke and it wasn't luck that got us past Duke like someone said. It was that grit chit. I'll always remember the words from the coaching master himself...."Just get me to the Final Four and then I'll do the rest".

We missed out on banner number six without even knowing it because of choosing not to believe it. With the Maryland game tied with seven minutes to go and a TV timeout called, Knight would have pulled out all the fiery motivational tricks in his masterful bag and all of Hoosier Nation would now have been much wealthier for it. Instead, we had Mike Davis on the sideline for inspiration, a second rate college coach. Sixteen years later second place still means nothing and IU fans no longer complain that the game has passed our coach by because we didn't make a deep enough run in the national tournament. Sixteen years later we don't quality to even be in the tournament. Sixteen years later IU fans still think IU played better under Davis than they did under Knight. Sixteen years later some IU fans are still delusional, having bought into what the jaded media was saying.

Here’s a crazy thought: if you don’t want indiscretions unearthed, don’t commit indiscretions. Do you not see how asinine your logic is there?

The biggest problem is that people treat the guy like some sort of God because he is a good basketball coach. He’s a fantastic basketball coach, with a great basketball mind. But that doesn’t mean you have to excuse every stupid thing that he ever did/said.

I always felt this way of thinking was just a silly attempt to rationalize our feelings at the time. The years we won his other three banners this concept was never mentioned, "Gee, it's amazing Bob's boys were able to win the championship as burnt out as they looked this late in the season." That particular team with a core of Jeffries, Fife, AJ, Coverdale, et.al. had some talent and grit to go with it. We were blessed with an easy draw to the Final Four (think Kent State) other than Duke and it wasn't luck that got us past Duke like someone said. It was that grit chit. I'll always remember the words from the coaching master himself...."Just get me to the Final Four and then I'll do the rest".

We missed out on banner number six without even knowing it because of choosing not to believe it. With the Maryland game tied with seven minutes to go and a TV timeout called, Knight would have pulled out all the fiery motivational tricks in his masterful bag and all of Hoosier Nation would now have been much wealthier for it. Instead, we had Mike Davis on the sideline for inspiration, a second rate college coach. Sixteen years later second place still means nothing and IU fans no longer complain that the game has passed our coach by because we didn't make a deep enough run in the national tournament. Sixteen years later we don't quality to even be in the tournament. Sixteen years later IU fans still think IU played better under Davis than they did under Knight. Sixteen years later some IU fans are still delusional, having bought into what the jaded media was saying.
The thing is that the kids was different then and they were in the 70's and 80's and that style of coaching was no longer successful.

So, by that account, nothing was ever the result of BK's own flaws and actions...always someone else. That was part of the BK mentality, I get to do what I want when I want, but the rest of you don't or else....blindly follow the leader. The guy was a mental mess when it came to self-awareness and still is & can still find a crowd that will idolize his lack of self-awareness or personal accountability.

Reactions: YOTHN and RBB89
So, by that account, nothing was ever the result of BK's own flaws and actions...always someone else. That was part of the BK mentality, I get to do what I want when I want, but the rest of you don't or else....blindly follow the leader. The guy was a mental mess when it came to self-awareness and still is & can still find a crowd that will idolize his lack of self-awareness or personal accountability.

Hmmm...sounds like someone else.

Reactions: IUJoe and UncleMark
The thing is that the kids was different then and they were in the 70's and 80's and that style of coaching was no longer successful.
Let me clarity that by saying that style of coaching discipline was no longer acceptable with the parents about the same time it was no longer successful. Looking at the way society is today, kids and adults, I think we ought to give it another try.

Reactions: kmathum
But that doesn’t mean you have to excuse every stupid thing that he ever did/said.
You mean "BK Theater" that was so entertaining all those years? That was all part of the charm of BK...never a dull moment. I love Archie Miller, but man, is he dull for a basketball coach from what we've been accustomed to from Bob Knight's theatrics.

Let me clarity that by saying that style of coaching discipline was no longer acceptable with the parents about the same time it was no longer successful. Looking at the way society is today, kids and adults, I think we ought to give it another try.
Everybody should join the army, verbally abuse and commit battery with reckless abandon, be selfish and stubborn, and not accept responsibility for our actions. We gotta stop being pussies out here.

Reactions: YOTHN and RBB89
Everybody should join the army, verbally abuse and commit battery with reckless abandon, be selfish and stubborn, and not accept responsibility for our actions. We gotta stop being pussies out here.
battery with reckless abandon? c'mon man.

battery with reckless abandon? c'mon man.
You get put on zero tolerance for getting physical with Neil Reed. What is the one thing you cannot do to jeopardize your job? Putting your hands on a random freshman! I don't know what zero tolerance is, either. But, I am guessing that you don't do what got you put on zero tolerance in the first place. It is one thing to move your players into position and another to go around grabbing random people: who does that?

Grabbing Kent Harvey, in a way, reminds me of Sampson getting busted for phone calls. If you get in trouble for doing something, it looks really bad when you do it again. RMK couldn't control himself, and grabbing Harvey shows how much RMK cared about following orders.

Reactions: hondo314
You get put on zero tolerance for getting physical with Neil Reed. What is the one thing you cannot do to jeopardize your job? Putting your hands on a random freshman! I don't know what zero tolerance is, either. But, I am guessing that you don't do what got you put on zero tolerance in the first place. It is one thing to move your players into position and another to go around grabbing random people: who does that?

Grabbing Kent Harvey, in a way, reminds me of Sampson getting busted for phone calls. If you get in trouble for doing something, it looks really bad when you do it again. RMK couldn't control himself, and grabbing Harvey shows how much RMK cared about following orders.
You ever thought that perhaps Bob grabbed the Harvey kid as a test of wills? I think Bob reacted spontaneously as if he had preconceived of a confrontation like this in his mind. His favorite book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu so Bob knew to out prepare his opponent. I don't think Brand's firing bothered Knight one bit. He took it like a man, packed his bags and said, I'll show you and off he went and here we sit too many years still debating it as if we had a quilt complex festering all these years that won't pop until he dies and we can no longer thank him. With that sentence...that second to the last sentence, I leave you to ponder the possibilities of the candy and nuts of "if" and "buts" related to Christmas that Bob once so elegantly elucidated while exuding his charm.

You ever thought that perhaps Bob grabbed the Harvey kid as a test of wills? I think Bob reacted spontaneously as if he had preconceived of a confrontation like this in his mind. His favorite book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu so Bob knew to out prepare his opponent. I don't think Brand's firing bothered Knight one bit. He took it like a man, packed his bags and said, I'll show you and off he went and here we sit too many years still debating it as if we had a quilt complex festering all these years that won't pop until he dies and we can no longer thank him. With that sentence...that second to the last sentence, I leave you to ponder the possibilities of the candy and nuts of "if" and "buts" related to Christmas that Bob once so elegantly elucidated while exuding his charm.
If Bob viewed a random freshman as some kind of an "opponent" that he was competing with or "going to war with," then that is beyond pathetic: hope that "battle" was worth it. Leave it on the court. There is no way to paint grabbing Harvey's arm as some sort of genius. Bob did the main thing he couldn't do to lose his job because he couldn't control himself and did whatever he wanted. Real strategy and adaptation would be not mailing it in in the early 90's, continuing to run an elite program and contend for titles, and going out on his own terms instead of letting his flaws and IU take care of it.

Bob has not moved on, and he didn't show anybody anything at TT (or after 1993). Bob obviously still has a lot of anger and resentment from being fired: hence, not coming back to IU (even to celebrate his championship teams), stating he wished IU admins were dead, etc. He can't stand that somebody finally told him what to do, and he would rather ignore what happened and IU than grow up and accept his role in the firing. Most fans like myself wish he would stop being his own worst enemy, or at least try to, accept some form of responsibility for his actions, and be able to enjoy his past accomplishments at IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: YOTHN
I wasn't talking about championships, but having the best interests of your school in mind instead of just being selfish.

If Knight would have kept winning like he had, he never would have been fired.
I was only pointing out that Keady never won really big. He never even got to a final four. So he would have no championships to attend like Knight did. As far as transitions go I can see that Keady's way was the best. Get your guy and groom him. Then hand over the reigns. But again Keady never won big.

eh -- humans have tried beating the crap out of each other for like 200k years and look how little improvement we've made ...let's not take a step back just because old people don't get that society is actually still functioning...as it was before them and will long after them...hehe

Reactions: YOTHN and T.M.P.
eh -- humans have tried beating the crap out of each other for like 200k years and look how little improvement we've made ...let's not take a step back just because old people don't get that society is actually still functioning...as it was before them and will long after them...hehe

The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

~ Socrates, appx 400 BC

Every generation, when they get old and grouchy, say the same. If each generation were as bad as the previous generation claimed civilization would be regressing. It's not. It's slowly progressing. Each generation has been slightly wiser, though through no effort or fault of their own to be so. We are all eventually, human.

Last edited:
I understand your optimism, but no way the 2002 team would have won the title. They had double digit losses if I recall, and didn't really impress anyone all season until the big dance. Add in a great but super lucky win vs Duke to enhance their run, plus the insane 3 point shooting barrage IU suddenly became, makes it even a bigger accomplishment that they even got to the final game. It was a wonderful ride though.

They struggled and underperformed throughout the season because they weren't well coached. Davis had them standing around running "NBA sets".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT