ADVERTISEMENT

How fast can you improve an offensive line

Vesuvius I had an offensive line you would have loved. The tight end went to Princeton, one tackle went to Dartmouth, the American International, The center went to Florida not to play football, the guards went Sewanne and MIT. So went they went to make me calls one guard would use a word like masticate. One guard had to spend a game blocking Vince Wilfork. I warned all week long if you stand up the entire stands will know it because you will be in the backfield with Vince and the ball carrier. He cut Vince the entire game. Vince did not want to play in the overtime session.

Even with a good O.L. Our Q.B isn't !
I can't believe why there's not more blow back on his performance..
He's not even mediocre...
Because everyone on here wants to blame the OL. I think we should have tried another QB three games ago. What do we have to lose? We were 2-10 last season and now we're 3-3. What would make us take a conservative approach? The most logical choice would be Dexter Williams. What harm could come from him getting a couple of series? After all, we had 29 yards in the second half against UM and countless three-and-outs. And sure, heavy pressure from the DL affects a QB, but when there is time, there have been too many overthrows and passes into double coverage and hardly any ability to avoid sacks. It is what is frustrating about being an IU fan, a reluctance to make obvious changes or at least attempt them.

And this is Dexter's bio from iuhoosiers.com

Quarterback for head coach Carsten Franklin at Mount de Sales Academy ... all-state selection ... two-time Region 7A Offensive Player of the Year ... three-time all-region honoree ... two-time team captain selected to play in the 2020 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl ... named the Macon Telegraph Middle Georgia Player of the Year ... totaled 2,508 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior ... completed 99-of-158 (62.7 percent) for 1,524 yards with 15 TDs ... rushed 135 times for 984 yards (7.3 average) with 14 scores ... led Mount de Sales to wins in 19 of his last 20 regular-season games and the school’s first region championship in 23 years ... collected 5,088 total yards and 61 total touchdowns over his final two campaigns ... ranked the No. 21 dual-threat quarterback nationally by 247Sports

After all, Georgia is a pretty good football state.

And when Lombardi said, :

And when Lomardi said "Gentleman, this is a football" Paul Horung, the Golden Boy, raised his hand and said, "Coach, can you slow down, you're going too fast!"
There was a story I liked about Lombardi when center Jim Ringo came with his agent to discuss a new contract. After the introductions were made, Lombardi excused himself for a few minutes. When Lombardi came back he told Ringo he needed to go to Philadelphia because he had been traded to the Eagles.
I thought that was really ironic that the Packers had Jim Ringo as the center and Bart Starr as the QB for the Ringo/Starr combination for the Beatles connection.

Because everyone on here wants to blame the OL. I think we should have tried another QB three games ago. What do we have to lose? We were 2-10 last season and now we're 3-3. What would make us take a conservative approach? The most logical choice would be Dexter Williams. What harm could come from him getting a couple of series? After all, we had 29 yards in the second half against UM and countless three-and-outs. And sure, heavy pressure from the DL affects a QB, but when there is time, there have been too many overthrows and passes into double coverage and hardly any ability to avoid sacks. It is what is frustrating about being an IU fan, a reluctance to make obvious changes or at least attempt them.

And this is Dexter's bio from iuhoosiers.com

Quarterback for head coach Carsten Franklin at Mount de Sales Academy ... all-state selection ... two-time Region 7A Offensive Player of the Year ... three-time all-region honoree ... two-time team captain selected to play in the 2020 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl ... named the Macon Telegraph Middle Georgia Player of the Year ... totaled 2,508 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior ... completed 99-of-158 (62.7 percent) for 1,524 yards with 15 TDs ... rushed 135 times for 984 yards (7.3 average) with 14 scores ... led Mount de Sales to wins in 19 of his last 20 regular-season games and the school’s first region championship in 23 years ... collected 5,088 total yards and 61 total touchdowns over his final two campaigns ... ranked the No. 21 dual-threat quarterback nationally by 247Sports

After all, Georgia is a pretty good football state.
Just curious, why do you think the football staff would not try something so apparently so obvious. It is probably because they are in practice everyday with both players. They probably see that Bazelak gives them the best chance to win. It is funny because Charlie Partridge the defensive line coach at Pitt had just posted a piece on Facebook. It basically said that coaches will always play the players that work the hardest, know their assignments and give them the best chance to win. I am not really sure why some of fans believe that our staff does not do that? I don't know if Williams can play and make a difference. However for some reason our staff does not believe he is ready and I trust them to make that decision.

Just curious, why do you think the football staff would not try something so apparently so obvious. It is probably because they are in practice everyday with both players. They probably see that Bazelak gives them the best chance to win. It is funny because Charlie Partridge the defensive line coach at Pitt had just posted a piece on Facebook. It basically said that coaches will always play the players that work the hardest, know their assignments and give them the best chance to win. I am not really sure why some of fans believe that our staff does not do that? I don't know if Williams can play and make a difference. However for some reason our staff does not believe he is ready and I trust them to make that decision.
You are right that coaches play who they think gives them the best chance of winning.

We have had some coaches that appeared to use questionable criteria to determine that though, like one coach seemingly putting too much weight on being an upperclassmen.

I think Allen's fault is in general he sticks with his decisions whether working or not. Trends towards not wanting players to play tentatively because of fear of benching rather then using the bench as a motivator

Reactions: vesuvius13
We'll remember when we stuck with Richard Lagow over Peyton Ramsey? That took a while for them to realize. I was at the Virginia game in 2017 when Ramsey emerged.

You are right that coaches play who they think gives them the best chance of winning.

We have had some coaches that appeared to use questionable criteria to determine that though, like one coach seemingly putting too much weight on being an upperclassmen.

I think Allen's fault is in general he sticks with his decisions whether working or not. Trends towards not wanting players to play tentatively because of fear of benching rather then using the bench as a motivator
I don't think Allen is one of those guys that is afraid to play young kids. I think that is one of the reasons that he has been able to attract kids from SEC country. It is a chance to play early at a BIG school.

We'll remember when we stuck with Richard Lagow over Peyton Ramsey? That took them a while to realize. I was at the Virginia game in 2017 when Ramsey emerged.
I don't know for sure but perhaps they did not want to put Ramsey in before he was ready. Once they deemed Penix was ready they did not hesitate to start Penix over Ramsey.

Last edited:
Nit much technique time is allotted in practice once the season starts. Hopefully the old adage holds true that mental is to physical as 4 is to 1

PH and Max McGee were prolific locker room and beyond mischief hounds. Jerry Kramer's book gave insight to some of their deeds.
If you want to read more about Hornung's and McGee's antics check out Hornung's book, "Golden Boy".... some hilarious stuff in there... Also talks a lot about his HS recruitment out of Louisville and being at ND.....

Some here won't like reading about how he "almost" went to IU... mostly because they were offering the most money, cars and anything else to sway him... Not flattering to IU but true.

😁.... I agree.... if insults were "cowbell" it sure doesn't need more.
SNL-More-Cowbell.png

Reactions: jsenleo
We worked technique all the way up to the last Tuesday of the season. True the periods got shorter as the season progressed.
Everybody that's any good as a coach works technique up to the last week but as I said not much time is allotted to break old habits

Taking a stab at what we may see with the OL the rest of the way.

1) A Simplified Approach - Sometimes coaches outsmart themselves with their sophisticated playbooks and their complicated rules. Is it better to do say 10 things really well than to do 43 things in a mediocre way?
2) They could widen their splits, giving defenders farther to go to get to Baze and creating more defined passing lanes to throw through.
3) An obsession with fundamentals and technique - feet, pad level, hands, finish. Linemen are skill players too and the best coaches are usually those with an eye for the little things that make such a big difference.
4) Out of necessity adapt the Offense into a dink & dunk style. Take what is there. Check it down. It is my contention you can win a lot of football games playing this way.

I suspect one of the issues is not being able to get to the second level effectively. Combo blocks / double-teams that peel off to the Linebacker occur in both zone and gap schemes. When it's done right it's a thing of beauty but if it's not done correctly the guy being double-teamed can disrupt the play still or the Linebacker gets freed up to make the fill. So it's not just about changing out individual parts you need guys that work well and communicate well together. I remember when I was a center our coaches were always telling us to talk to each other and our tendency was not to so I doubt things are much different today lol.
Improvement starts now. Doing nothing means reinforcing and accepting poor play. This is a new beginning. If the players think about it, they are partially responsible for the coach being fired. Does that add motivation or kill what enthusiasm they have? It would make me feel awful and I would try a little harder. I don't know what this group of 18-22 year olds think.

It is a chance to weed out those committed to play and those along for a free ride. A new coach has no loyalty to any player. Possibly a little competition will improve the performance. A coaching change can't hurt. Without a change, I didn't expect to win another game. We still may not win, but we have a head start on getting this turned around.

So I took some of thoughts I formed on this board and expanded / edited them into an article. No need to start a new thread 🙂.
Daddyhoosier nice article. I was where you were at with Hiller until the Nebraska game. Having been a coach and an offensive coach for the majority of my career I know what it is like to be the recipient of undue criticism when the offense is not performing. Although some of the time it was not a problem with the o line. So I feel for Hiller. In past seasons he and the oline were being blamed for things that were not always their fault. However this season I have seen many issues that continue to occur. First in the Nebraska game I saw too many times where the o line played with no effort. Second and this has actually been a long time problem where guys miss blocks entirely and don't even touch a rusher. Guys continually give up the inside on pass rush. Guys continue to give up too much ground in the middle of protection and end up in the lap of the quarterback. I also have stated on here before about splits . They can help in both run and pass game as you mentioned. You also mention comb blocks, we definitely do not do a very good job of executing them I have seen numerous times where both guys have left the down lineman and gone the second level and left the down guy unblocked. Too many times I have seen guys miss their blocks and either just stop or turn and chase their guy. Anyway I have said many of these before, but I agree with everything youpointed out in your article. Well done.

There are two aspects to potential improvement. The fundamentals and the mental side of it. Best case scenario for the fundamentals is just a slow and steady improvement until the end of the season(especially from a consistency perspective), but realistically they won't be anywhere near where they would be had a new coach been there since the offseason.

But the mental aspect is interesting, a new coach feels like a fresh start. The guys can say they love Hiller all they want, but no one loves being embarrassed week after week, that's what they were under Hiller, and don't kid yourself, they definitely heard the noise. Ntm there were multiple occasions of Hiller getting into it with players on the sideline over the last few years. Sometimes new leadership is like a spark that turns the entire room around even if they really haven't improved much from a fundamental standpoint.

Hopefully they are mentally rejuvenated by Carey's leadership and respond as such, but realistically if all goes well in the for the rest of the year and in the offseason, whatever group we field in week 12 against PU will not be as good as the O-line Indiana puts out in week one of the 2023 season.
Depends to some extent who the OL coach is next season although hard to believe anyone could be worse than Hiller, but Allen is the person who will hire the next OL coach. Carey said he was asked to take over for the rest of the season and agreed to do so. There is no guarantee he will be the OL coach next year. Either he or Allen may decide he's not the guy. While I think Carey will do a good job, I think we have to wait and see what transpires after this season concludes to determine whether the OL will be in good hands next season.

Depends to some extent who the OL coach is next season although hard to believe anyone could be worse than Hiller, but Allen is the person who will hire the next OL coach. Carey said he was asked to take over for the rest of the season and agreed to do so. There is no guarantee he will be the OL coach next year. Either he or Allen may decide he's not the guy. While I think Carey will do a good job, I think we have to wait and see what transpires after this season concludes to determine whether the OL will be in good hands next season.
I agree we need to see who may be available. Carey does have a pretty good track record and may be a very good choice but we do need to see if there is an even better alternative. Allen definitely needs to get this right and there needs to HUGE improvement next year or there may not be a next year after that.

Improvement starts now. Doing nothing means reinforcing and accepting poor play. This is a new beginning. If the players think about it, they are partially responsible for the coach being fired. Does that add motivation or kill what enthusiasm they have? It would make me feel awful and I would try a little harder. I don't know what this group of 18-22 year olds think.

It is a chance to weed out those committed to play and those along for a free ride. A new coach has no loyalty to any player. Possibly a little competition will improve the performance. A coaching change can't hurt. Without a change, I didn't expect to win another game. We still may not win, but we have a head start on getting this turned around.
Cannot overstate all you brought up. A new coach has immediate leverage over the players.

Who makes those decisions? Surprised to hear this.
The administration, in my time there, and it really limits the way your team plays. I only had one coach I could turn half the team over to and the rest of the time; I called offense and defense the year we won the 4A State Championship. My coaches wondered how I could do it with no defensive or play calls written down; there was a reason I could do that though.

Last edited:
Daddyhoosier nice article. I was where you were at with Hiller until the Nebraska game. Having been a coach and an offensive coach for the majority of my career I know what it is like to be the recipient of undue criticism when the offense is not performing. Although some of the time it was not a problem with the o line. So I feel for Hiller. In past seasons he and the oline were being blamed for things that were not always their fault. However this season I have seen many issues that continue to occur. First in the Nebraska game I saw too many times where the o line played with no effort. Second and this has actually been a long time problem where guys miss blocks entirely and don't even touch a rusher. Guys continually give up the inside on pass rush. Guys continue to give up too much ground in the middle of protection and end up in the lap of the quarterback. I also have stated on here before about splits . They can help in both run and pass game as you mentioned. You also mention comb blocks, we definitely do not do a very good job of executing them I have seen numerous times where both guys have left the down lineman and gone the second level and left the down guy unblocked. Too many times I have seen guys miss their blocks and either just stop or turn and chase their guy. Anyway I have said many of these before, but I agree with everything youpointed out in your article. Well done.
I remember the third string center getting bull rushed right into Baze with seemingly so little resistance. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone get that badly out-muscled before. I also remember a couple guys mentioning splits on here. The effort thing though, that's disconcerting. I wonder what that stems from? Frustration? Lack of respect for leadership? Being hopelessly out-matched?

I'm so glad you and V and some others are on here because you are helping me learn. I really want to bridge the gap between coaches and where I am. Heck at some point I may throw my hat in as a VA here locally. Anyway thanks for the positive words, it means a lot coming from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I remember the third string center getting bull rushed right into Baze with seemingly so little resistance. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone get that badly out-muscled before. I also remember a couple guys mentioning splits on here. The effort thing though, that's disconcerting. I wonder what that stems from? Frustration? Lack of respect for leadership? Being hopelessly out-matched?

I'm so glad you and V and some others are on here because you are helping me learn. I really want to bridge the gap between coaches and where I am. Heck at some point I may throw my hat in as a VA here locally. Anyway thanks for the positive words, it means a lot coming from someone who knows what they are talking about.
You are not giving yourself enough credit. Your posts are interesting and informative. I am sure everyone agrees with me on that.

Bottom line for any offensive lineman in the country, If you cant "set" you can't protect. If you can't protect, you can't play!
There is a technique for being bull rushed. LOl. Grab the sides of the guys shoulder pads place your knee in his crotch and pull him down on top of you. You will probably get called for holding. But you will keep from getting quarterback killed and you may slow te guy down for awhile.

There is a technique for being bull rushed. LOl. Grab the sides of the guys shoulder pads place your knee in his crotch and pull him down on top of you. You will probably get called for holding. But you will keep from getting quarterback killed and you may slow te guy down for awhile.
After film study you know who are the bull rushers. To neutralize you must take them on as quickly (don't give ground on your set) crowd the LOS so they can't get a run at you

After film study you know who are the bull rushers. To neutralize you must take them on as quickly (don't give ground on your set) crowd the LOS so they can't get a run at you
Euro, you are right and there were so many little tricks coach Hiller didn't seem to teach and our OL suffered as a result. I hope coach Carey can pull of a miracle and get IU OL more aware of defenders and what they want to do. Coach Allen needs to make a great hire for next season even if it turns out to be coach Carey.

Reactions: Euro
Bottom line for any offensive lineman in the country, If you cant "set" you can't protect. If you can't protect, you can't play!
“If you can’t set, you can’t protect”.
A cousin phrase of “If glove don’t fit, you can’t convict” 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT