ADVERTISEMENT

How bad is the guard play?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Before Rob was hurt he was hitting less than 32% from the field and less than 44% of his free throws. He should have been on the bench for his poor offensive play. Except everyone else is worse. And when Rob went down not the next man up but the next three men up responded by being suspended for violating curfew the night before a game. That poor judgement is only exceeded by when they are handling the ball in crunch time.

I have no idea what Woody can do with a backcourt that cannot think and dribble at the same time.

Poor TJD. At the end of the game he tried to execute the game plan and kick the ball out to an open shooter. And the morning after everyone is saying "what was he thinking?"

Last edited:
Before Rob was hurt he was hitting less than 32% from the field and less than 44% of his free throws. He should have been on the bench for his poor offensive play. Except everyone else is worse. And when Rob went down not the next man up but the next three men up responded by being suspended for violating curfew the night before a game. That poor judgement is only exceeded by when they are handling the ball in crunch time.

I have no idea what Woody can do with a backcourt that cannot think and dribble at the same time.

Poor TJD. At the end of the game he tried to execute the game plan and kick the ball out to an open shooter. And the morning after everyone is saying "what was he thinking?"
Good post. I believe TJD made the right play. We have to make some open shots and he hit open shooters very well all night long. It stinks but X had a very bad night. Hopefully he will not often go 3 for 16. Even 6 for 16 wins that game.

X had an off night.
But he wasn't suspended that game.
I had to double-check - he was suspended. But my post should have read next four men up because Bates was also suspended.

It is ironic that people are blaming Woody for these numb-nuts' decisions. And yet the Hoosiers were winning last night with less than two minutes to go in the game.

Woody's predicament reminds me of Lee Marvin in the Dirty Dozen.

I'm not sure he did trying to kick it out to a bunch that can't shoot and you know it. It might be the right basketball play, but probably would have been better off bull dozing and not give it back

I'm not sure he did trying to kick it out to a bunch that can't shoot and you know it. It might be the right basketball play, but probably would have been better off bull dozing and not give it back
Can’t argue with your observation. But the reality is that, to a large extent, basketball is instinctive. if the defense collapses kick it out to the open man. Unless TJD was programmed to react with: screw this. I am taking it to the hole because our guards suck. Actually, if he thought it out carefully he probably would have been called for three seconds.

Does the 3-second call still exist?

Reactions: CriticArisen
let-it-rain-shoot.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT