ADVERTISEMENT

Hooray for the 2nd Amendment

92f0b3.jpg

The 2A doesn’t prohibit states from having age restriction laws that regulate/prohibit possession or purchase of guns or ammunition by minors.

He got it somewhere.. And the holler would certainly argue it does prohibit such restrictions.

If there is a silver lining I guess it is that Georgia is a purple state and maybe this will help voter turnout to stop the inevitable next tragedy here.

He got it somewhere.. And the holler would certainly argue it does prohibit such restrictions.

I have no idea if this kid had possession of the weapon legally under Georgia law. I’m sure we’ll find out.

I’m just saying that it’s silly to blame the 2nd Amendment itself, considering it allows states to have age restrictions on either the purchase or possession of firearms.

If his possession was lawful, then it makes more sense to be critical of GA’s statutes.

If his possession was not lawful, then we’re in different territory altogether.

I have no idea if this kid had possession of the weapon legally under Georgia law. I’m sure we’ll find out.

I’m just saying that it’s silly to blame the 2nd Amendment itself, considering it allows states to have age restrictions on either the purchase or possession of firearms.

If his possession was lawful, then it makes more sense to be critical of GA’s statutes.

If his possession was not lawful, then we’re in different territory altogether.

Whether he had it legally or not is not the point.

There are reasonable steps forward to help with all this. Money and stubbornness on one side...ignorance and overreach on the other side, are getting in the way of practical steps (that the overwhelming majority of Americans want), that will help put up more resistance against these mass shooting events. Nothing can solve the issue completely. And focusing on mass shootings, as bad as they are, without as heavy a focus on normal daily gun violence, doesn't make sense. There ARE common sense precautions, safety laws, and yes, gasp, regulations... that will HELP though.

They release the name but refuse to release type of gun. Kemp heavily involved so letting it calm down first and try to slide it out there later.

Why? If he (and it's ALWAYS a he, which might actually be germane at some point) obtained the gun illegally then are you for legislating to a stricter standard for gun ownership?

If so, let's discuss it.

That’s like saying that if it turns out this kid had an assault rifle (sounds like he did) then eliminating assault rifles for citizens wouldn’t have mattered because he was too young to have one legally anyway.

That’s like saying that if it turns out this kid had an assault rifle (sounds like he did) then eliminating assault rifles for citizens wouldn’t have mattered because he was too young to have one legally anyway.
Theres 350 million guns in America. Banning them now will pay off in 100 years.

People break laws. They are called criminals. Banning guns won’t stop criminals.

How do we, without banning the guns, deal with the mass shooting epidemic in America?

I would start with incredibly stiff red flag laws.

Theres 350 million guns in America. Banning them now will pay off in 100 years.

People break laws. They are called criminals. Banning guns won’t stop criminals.

How do we, without banning the guns, deal with the mass shooting epidemic in America?

I would start with incredibly stiff red flag laws.

Actually, if you criminalize assault rifles with a mandatory minimum for possession of 20 years it would have an immediate impact.

Not sure I do. The logical end point of such a ban is banning the sale of any and all semi-auto rifles, as I’m sure you’d agree.

And if that’s someone’s position so be it. But don’t give this “assault rifle” malarkey.
No, not all semi-auto, just semi-auto high-powered military style rifles. 22LRs and the like aren’t on the table.

No, not all semi-auto, just semi-auto high-powered military style rifles. 22LRs and the like aren’t on the table.
Mental illness is a serious problem.

It certainly is. It’s theintersection of a Venn diagram where mental illness and access to guns meet that is really scary. We can’t eliminate either but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to mitigate.

Actually, if you criminalize assault rifles with a mandatory minimum for possession of 20 years it would have an immediate impact.
Ok ok. Now we’re talking.

I would agree that all gun related crime should carry much much heavier sentencing requirements.

But not for just owning a gun.

I am also for banning assault rifles per wakeboarders delineation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT