ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg

The flu this season alone has caused more than 20,000 deaths and last year more than 30,000 deaths with 35 million sick with it. This is a yearly issue and dangerous to similar population and as well should not be looked upon so lightly.
I'm aware that flu can kill. But it's death rate, by your stats, is .1%

COVID kills more often. So, since they're already sick, but are otherwise healthy people under 50, it's relatively good news that its flu and not COVID.

Reactions: hondo314
I'm aware that flu can kill. But it's death rate, by your stats, is .1%

COVID kills more often. So, since they're already sick, but are otherwise healthy people under 50, it's relatively good news that its flu and not COVID.
COVID is not more deadly. Original statistics of 3% from China are wrong. Many people with mild symptoms were not diagnosed and not tested, making their denominator too small and increasing the death rate. Latest prediction from CDC is that death rate will be about the same as influenza.

So every time a coach has any symptoms of illness from now on, they must vacate the premises?
uh...check out the crowd for tonight's game...assuming it's still played. There's your answer. If he thought he had a fever coming on, then yes he should leave the bench, regardless of the current global situation. But in light of current events, it should be a no-brainer.

uh...check out the crowd for tonight's game...assuming it's still played. There's your answer. If he thought he had a fever coming on, then yes he should leave the bench, regardless of the current global situation. But in light of current events, it should be a no-brainer.
Crowd is not permitted tonight. Only essential people at game.

So every time a coach has any symptoms of illness from now on, they must vacate the premises?

He said he had a fever, so I would say definintely in that case. They've got a team Doctor, so that's what he should have done. Why didn't he? I'm sure he knew what the Doctor was going to say.

Crowd is not permitted tonight. Only essential people at game.
yes that was my point. While I'm not at all happy with the panic level, if we don't overreact now for the sake of safety, this could spiral out of control. The USA needs to take all measures to keep it at bay, as best as possible, until a vaccine is ready.

If IU does make the tourney, and the tourney is actually played, let's hope half the team doesn't have Influenza A in a week.

COVID is not more deadly. Original statistics of 3% from China are wrong. Many people with mild symptoms were not diagnosed and not tested, making their denominator too small and increasing the death rate. Latest prediction from CDC is that death rate will be about the same as influenza.
Italy's results are worse than China's...

Link the latest prediction from the CDC please. Their website draws no such conclusion.

Reactions: channi and hondo314
Am on chemotherapy and I had Influenza A two weeks ago. Went home after diagnosis and fluid in ER. Was well within three days with fluid and Tyelnol and Tamaflu. This is the course of most cases of the flu and 97% of cases of novel coronavirus. We did not react this way to the Swine flu, which was much more deadly than coronavirus.

Swine flu had a far lower mortality rate than coronavirus, which is just getting started in the US. Let’s see how many people this virus infects and kills in a couple of months.

Am on chemotherapy and I had Influenza A two weeks ago. Went home after diagnosis and fluid in ER. Was well within three days with fluid and Tyelnol and Tamaflu. This is the course of most cases of the flu and 97% of cases of novel coronavirus. We did not react this way to the Swine flu, which was much more deadly than coronavirus.
How long have you been on chemo? Hang in there my friend. I just said a prayer for you.

Reactions: channi
Swine flu had a far lower mortality rate than coronavirus, which is just getting started in the US. Let’s see how many people this virus infects and kills in a couple of months.
Swine flu mortality was higher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT