ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the thing about this team....

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
I'm not sure we have a single 1st team ABT guy on this team, but we have an amazing # of solid/good/very good players who are productive, and the team is better than the sum of it's parts. I say 'amazing' because to bring this group of players together in year 1 is unreal.

Remember that guys on this forum doubted that the JMU could cut it......I thought they could but I don't know if I've ever seen a team were so many transfers came in and played to their talent level....

Anyone who knows football has been mightily impressed with Rourke His technique is damn near flawless. He is the best mechanical QB I've seen at IU since...wow... maybe ever. Green was good but not a Rourke...ARE was an inconsistent passer as was everyone that followed him to this season. If he keeps it up he will be the best in the conference imo.

Gabriel? I like and appreciate Rourke, but he has no running ability. DB is a top 5 QB in the country.

I would add.....I think MM at USC, if healthy, will be the 2nd team ABT QB.

I've now seen Rourke 4 times---the CC game plus our first two RS games. I thought he was far better yesterday than on the other occasions. If he plays this way the rest of the year he could end up being the 3rd team ABT guy.

Anyone who knows football has been mightily impressed with Rourke His technique is damn near flawless. He is the best mechanical QB I've seen at IU since...wow... maybe ever. Green was good but not a Rourke...ARE was an inconsistent passer as was everyone that followed him to this season. If he keeps it up he will be the best in the conference imo.

You want to talk about really good "mechanical" QBs......who was the guy from Bloomington who put up huge #s in Wilson's system? He wasn't athletic at all but was very smart.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm not sure we have a single 1st team ABT guy on this team, but we have an amazing # of solid/good/very good players who are productive, and the team is better than the sum of it's parts. I say 'amazing' because to bring this group of players together in year 1 is unreal.

Remember that guys on this forum doubted that the JMU could cut it......I thought they could but I don't know if I've ever seen a team were so many transfers came in and played to their talent level....
Maybe to your point, maybe not... We have a few receivers that are at that level, but as of now, the ball is being spread around to all of them, so post season accolades might not come to any single one of them??

Fisher is a bad ass though...if he stays healthy, and continues to play how he is now...he'll get some strong consideration for 1st team, I'm sure.

Other candidates...Rourke, Ponds, Evans.

So...I think we'll probably have a few guys that do emerge and put themselves in to 1st team consideration...but I think your overall point is a valid one. And I hope it remains a valid one all year long. Our ability to beat teams we should beat, and rise up and contend with the upper tier B10 teams, will rely on our 2 deep being more competitive.

We've had All B10 level players before...but really haven't ever had a team filled with 20-30 really good, solid, B10 competitive level players.

When I first heard CCC talk he stressed Production over Potential. He talked about wanting the guy from a program who was a multi year starter rather than the 4 or 5 star backup who hadn't played. My first thought was to the movie Moneyball about the Oakland A's. Made me wonder if the production would transfer over to the Big 10 and after three games I think we have our answer. He clearly knows what he's looking for in the players he puts on the field. I was originally surprised that JMF and Toomer weren't seeing more playing time but not so much anymore.

Three games in and I think both IU and Nebraska are looking a lot better than people thought. They look to be the two surprise teams for this season so far.

Maybe to your point, maybe not... We have a few receivers that are at that level, but as of now, the ball is being spread around to all of them, so post season accolades might not come to any single one of them??

Fisher is a bad ass though...if he stays healthy, and continues to play how he is now...he'll get some strong consideration for 1st team, I'm sure.

So...I think we'll probably have a few guys that do emerge and put themselves in to 1st team consideration...but I think your overall point is a valid one. And I hope it remains a valid one all year long. Our ability to beat teams we should beat, and rise up and contend with the upper tier B10 teams, will rely on our 2 deep being more competitive.

We've had All B10 level players before...but really haven't ever had a team filled with 20-30 really good, solid, B10 competitive level players.

As an example of what you're talking about, as good as Fisher has been, he's probably not as good as Scales was his junior year. And as good as Ponds has been, Fant in his junior year was probably better. They just had less help.

MLB might be a position that's not relatively deep in the BT this year....at least I haven't noticed many standing out. Higgins, at Iowa, would be one. He might be a first team AA.

At WR, I really like Fenton at Maryland.. To your point, he probably gets 35% of the passes going to him, but he's really good. I haven't focused in on the high profile OSU frosh, but he's got the reputation.

Uh, I think Kurtis Rourke could be all Big Ten. He also should be offensive player of the week.

LOL, two high school teams and a flailing former Pac-10 team. We are the greatest team in college football. Classic Loosier fans.
Of all the times to come here and troll you pick now? You just got completely embarrassed at home by an ND team who lost to NIU the week prior.

It must be odd to be obsessed more with a "rival" than like the team you supposedly actually root for. We IU fans couldn't imagine.

I went back and looked at the preseason ABT teams. There were two---College Football News & College Football Network. One of them actually had Ponds as a 1st team pre-season ABT guy. Will Johnson from UM is the biggest name there. Burke from OSU and a kid from Oregon were the other names there.

The only other IU guy on the ABT teams was West, the DT, who was 3rd team on one of the teams.

At WR I would think Sarratt would have the best chance. On that front, what's up with EJ Williams? Is he still hurt, or just behind the other guys?

EDIT---I see that Sarratt was 2nd team ABT on one of the teams. Other WRs of note are the freshman Smith and Ogbuka from OSU and Stewart & Johnson from Oregon. Washington also has 1 stud WR, and I really like Felton from Minnesota, who blew up against Virginia. But your point of us having a lot of WRs will probably work against Sarrett.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
LOL, two high school teams and a flailing former Pac-10 team. We are the greatest team in college football. Classic Loosier fans.
I made $300 of the easiest $$ ever betting on ND to cover and win both halves. Thanks for sucking @ss at home on Saturday man! I really appreciate it. We will clobber y'all in Bloomington to end the season too. You should drive down and watch the beating in person.

There you go. But Sudfeld also had great mechanics.
Yeah, Sudfeld is who I thought of too. My memory of Chappell was that he was more of a system guy, because of his receivers and the offense we were running, but it's been so long now my memory might be faulty.

I also wasn't impressed with Rourke after his shaky start against FIU, but he played great on Saturday, and UCLA didn't seem like slouches.

On TV they had a funny zoom in on Rourke's face when he realized he had a favorable match up on the outside. His eyes just kinda stared for a second, like okay, it's going there.

If my team lost to a team by 60 points after that team lost to Nothern Illinois,not sure I’d be showing my face let alone talking shit🤣
Y’all got a good one in Walters😂

Last edited:
You want to talk about really good "mechanical" QBs......who was the guy from Bloomington who put up huge #s in Wilson's system? He wasn't athletic at all but was very smart.
You've got to be kidding. No comparison at this level. No offense intended. I can't think of their names, both ended up transferring if I remember right, both showed flashes but nothing like Rourke. He is textbook imo.

When I first heard CCC talk he stressed Production over Potential. He talked about wanting the guy from a program who was a multi year starter rather than the 4 or 5 star backup who hadn't played. My first thought was to the movie Moneyball about the Oakland A's. Made me wonder if the production would transfer over to the Big 10 and after three games I think we have our answer. He clearly knows what he's looking for in the players he puts on the field. I was originally surprised that JMF and Toomer weren't seeing more playing time but not so much anymore.

Three games in and I think both IU and Nebraska are looking a lot better than people thought. They look to be the two surprise teams for this season so far.
And landing experienced starters rather than highly rated bench warmers is exactly the opposite of what Allen did. Allen had no clue what he was looking for or trying to do.

2 cents.

The two big IU improvements that stand out to me:

1) TACKLING: No weak arms. No juked and falling over empty handed.
2) A PLAN/UNDERSTANDING: No one looks lost. No silly mistakes (like bumping your QB and causing a fumble)

This second one, I think, is big. Winning programs always seem like they know the exact script of the game, then just execute. It seems they know what the opposition will do-- not just the coaches, but every on-field player and execute accordingly and it looks easy. Having rooted too many times for the rube in those kind of games, it's nice to be on the good side of it.

2 cents.

2) A PLAN/UNDERSTANDING: No one looks lost. No silly mistakes (like bumping your QB and causing a fumble)

This second one, I think, is big. Winning programs always seem like they know the exact script of the game, then just execute. It seems they know what the opposition will do-- not just the coaches, but every on-field player and execute accordingly and it looks easy. Having rooted too many times for the rube in those kind of games, it's nice to be on the good side of it.

I was so sick of the arm tackle / attempting to strip the ball and give up another 5 yrds.

2 cents.

I think those two things are part of it...but my very strong feeling is that its much more foundational, and granular than those things.

Allen's teams tackled well, at times. They often came in to games on fire, and one would have to concede their initial game plans were solid, a lot of the time. But all too often, that energy faded, the execution faded, other teams adjusted, IU didn't.

I put the reason for that on the types of things Cig is likely focusing on and demanding versus what Allen did.

All coaches have routines, various drills they work on, etc... But most coaches and programs have a common driving force behind their daily actions. Allen's was famously LEO...it was based in emotions, lots of cheerleading, lots of yelling and hooting and hollering. I think those things masked serious deficiencies in granular levels of execution. And when other teams matched their emotion, when they changed game plans around, when unexpected things happened...that caused their own energy to fade, they didn't have foundational execution abilities burnt in to their muscle memory.

Cig has Saban's philosophies built in to his own approach. He's talked about it, and I'm sure it helped form what the driving force in his programs is. And that's know your job, do your job right, do your job right at the right time. And he's in the early stages of forging that in to his IU program. Tackling, blocking, running hard routes, hitting the right holes, holding contain, taking the right angles...all of these things are coached and demanded. So much so, that when the emotions change during games, execution will still be there. When officials make awful calls and starters get ejected, guys from the 2 deep come in and can rely on the execution burnt in to their DNA. We don't see entire parts of our team fold up like a cheap tent like they did when McFadden got ejected, or when Tennessee got their onside kick, etc...

We'll lose some games this year because we'll make mistakes, and then obviously because the other team has more talent. But its going to be more difficult for other teams to capitalize on mistakes and talent gaps, against IU now, than it used to be. Because they'll be facing guys that know their roles, are good at their roles, and are reliably executing within those roles.

Give me Carter Smith and Nic Radicic.

Reactions: red hornet
You've got to be kidding. No comparison at this level. No offense intended. I can't think of their names, both ended up transferring if I remember right, both showed flashes but nothing like Rourke. He is textbook imo.
You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Ben Chappell from Bloomington “showed flashes” by throwing for 3,300 yards and 24 TDs his senior year. He never transferred.

No comparison? We’ll see.

Sudfield was pretty solid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT