ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the definitive look at the NL Cy Young race

Greinke should win it. Its based on the entire season, his stats are better. Whether he will win it is another story. Not sure which will make Cubs fans more insufferable, if Arrieta wins or Greinke does...

This stats page pretty well shows there's no doubt Greinke will win it. He wins every category that might matter except Ks and W's and he had the scoreless inning streak and had a sub-2.00 ERA the entire season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/league/nl/order/false

ESPN also has a CY young predictor that has been amazingly accurate over the years. It pretty well shows there's no doubt Arrieta will win it, since it's Hyperbole Monday around here.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

It's no doubt a close race. Arrieta has more wins, more Ks and more shutouts (Greinke has 0) and just finished the best 2nd half in MLB history. That has to put some doubt in the minds of a lot of Greinke fans.

The only thing there is no doubt about is that all three guys are deserving. I think Arrieta is going to win it, but it will be close. The way he finished the season, though, is what I think sealed the deal for him.

Reactions: hoosierdug
ESPN also has a CY young predictor that has been amazingly accurate over the years. It pretty well shows there's no doubt Arrieta will win it, since it's Hyperbole Monday around here.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

It's no doubt a close race. Arrieta has more wins, more Ks and more shutouts (Greinke has 0) and just finished the best 2nd half in MLB history. That has to put some doubt in the minds of a lot of Greinke fans.
Gonna be awesome having two 2015 CY winners on the squad next year. But I will focus on Jake getting nasty against Pirates.

The only thing there is no doubt about is that all three guys are deserving. I think Arrieta is going to win it, but it will be close. The way he finished the season, though, is what I think sealed the deal for him.

I think Greinke and Arrieta (edit) are clear cut over Kershaw this year, but it's amazing to me that Kershaw truly is a Maddux, Koufax, Randy Johnson sort of generational player. I hit left handed and can't imagine that filthy curveball buckling my knees when I'm looking for a mid-90's fastball.

Last edited:
Listen, I am a life-long Dodgers fan and I truly hope Greinke wins it. However, what Arrieta has done since the All-Star break is amazing. Do I think both are deserving? Absolutely. I would not want to face either in the post-season.

If Greinke wins it, fantastic. If he doesn't, I'm not going to begrudge Arrieta. It is what it is. All I know is that it's a close race and both are deserving.

Yeah, well, there's that.

He wins that category if you look at Win %

But it's a misleading stat for pitchers anyway. Run support plays a huge part, and there's basically zero accounting for that in the ESPN stats or Cy Young voting. Also, WHIP is a huge stat that doesn't show up on that ESPN CyYoung page either

Hey, at least they assign arbitrary stats like Victory Bonus!

truth be told, I would rather face Greinke in a 1-game playoff than Arrieta RIGHT NOW. But the Cy is a season-long award and Greinke was a stud from the very beginning and very even throughout the year.

Interesting side-by-side of performances though.....

Both allowed 0 ERs 12 times this season.

Greinke never went less than 6. Arrieta only three times.

In his 3 losses, Greinke gave up a total of 6 ERs. Arrieta gave up 16 ERs in his 6 losses.

Cubs lost 8 games when Arrieta started, but none since July 25th. Dodgers lost 9 when Greinke started.

Kershaw's 300Ks is the primary reason he's in the discussion this year...he may steal some votes from Greinke.

Even if Arrieta wins, 'Wins' are the worst stat in all of baseball to judge a pitcher's performance on. You'd be better off if you looked at whether or not their team won the game, regardless of who the pitcher of record was.
Both guys are deserving.

This is completely unrelated, but wins matter. Some pitchers have a knack for pitching just well enough to win games, and there are other pitchers who have a knack for pitching just well enough to lose games. Jeff Samardzija is an example of a loser. He invariably gives up one more run than his team scores.

truth be told, I would rather face Greinke in a 1-game playoff than Arrieta RIGHT NOW. But the Cy is a season-long award and Greinke was a stud from the very beginning and very even throughout the year.

Interesting side-by-side of performances though.....

Both allowed 0 ERs 12 times this season.

Greinke never went less than 6. Arrieta only three times.

In his 3 losses, Greinke gave up a total of 6 ERs. Arrieta gave up 16 ERs in his 6 losses.

Cubs lost 8 games when Arrieta started, but none since July 25th. Dodgers lost 9 when Greinke started.

Kershaw's 300Ks is the primary reason he's in the discussion this year...he may steal some votes from Greinke.
Arrieta also pitched 3 shutouts in 4 complete games. Greinke never pitched in the 9th.
Greinke had a 5.0 SO/BB ratio. Arrrieta had a 4.92.
Both pitchers had an average game score of 67. I don't think voters care much about that, but it's damn impressive. FWIW, Kershaw averaged 68.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how you slice it, we just watched a couple of amazing pitching performances that would be Cy Young locks in most years. They just happened to occur in the same season, and so only one of them can win.

It's all going to come down to if the voters put a premium on consistency. Greinke was very good all year. Arrieta started decently, and then transformed into an otherworldly pitcher, and his entire season ended up averaging out to about what Greinke did consistently. So, voters that like consistency will vote Greinke, and voters that like dominance will vote Arrieta. To put it differently, Arrieta had a higher ceiling this year, but also a lower floor. Greinke was just solid non-stop. His best was never as good as Arrieta, but his worst was never as bad, either.

I don't think either player has a right to grumble if the other guy wins it. I think if Kershaw sneaks in and takes it, they might have a right to complain, but not too loudly.

I think Greinke and Arrieta (edit) are clear cut over Kershaw this year, but it's amazing to me that Kershaw truly is a Maddux, Koufax, Randy Johnson sort of generational player. I hit left handed and can't imagine that filthy curveball buckling my knees when I'm looking for a mid-90's fastball.
I saw him throw a curveball a few starts ago that made my knees buckle and I was laying on the couch.

How about an Arrieta-Greinke Duel to the Death in the NLCS???
Arrieta_Greinke_ulmq4dfp_yd9z1b9m.jpg

Reactions: IU40IU
Reactions: MillerTime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT