ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again, Derik Queen decision Friday....

Why? Woody lost out to UK for a 5-star and beat out KU for a 5-star. If IU is going to recruit at this level, this is the cadence. Do you think Liam's commitment took the "air out of this call" for KU? And I didn't see any handlers for Liam or Boogy. Both seem like good kids and solid families taking their talents to big-time programs.
It’s nice to be in close recruiting fights with KU and UK instead of Incarnate Word.

Yep. The outrageous salaries of pro athletes pretty much killed my interest in pro sports. I was dating a teacher at the time and it was hard for me to reconcile her getting $60-70K a year, or whatever she made, with athletes getting $30mill. I am assuming the same will happen with college sports, but maybe my IU love will keep me hanging on.

I don't understand that argument, outrageous salaries of pro athletes. Do you think old rich white dudes are paying athletes one more dollar than they are worth?

Forget who it was (some recruiting guru who follows Syracuse?) but Jim Coyle had someone on earlier this week or late last and he said he felt MD was losing steam with Queen, or else he'd already have committed. Basically said "I don't think DQ to MD is as done a deal as most think" (paraphrasing). Sounds like Trilly is hearing the same; maybe from the cat I mentioned.

Anyway, tonight, I'm going to Taco Bell for dinner and swinging by Dairy Queen for dessert!
Cool. You should drive 90 down College from Taco Bell to DQ, straight shot.

Forget who it was (some recruiting guru who follows Syracuse?) but Jim Coyle had someone on earlier this week or late last and he said he felt MD was losing steam with Queen, or else he'd already have committed. Basically said "I don't think DQ to MD is as done a deal as most think" (paraphrasing). Sounds like Trilly is hearing the same; maybe from the cat I mentioned.

Anyway, tonight, I'm going to Taco Bell for dinner and swinging by Dairy Queen for dessert!
be nice to the drive thru employees. Tough gig making min wage dealing with assholes all night

You think that’s all this is? He’s said he’s not sure Maryland can get him to the next level.
in the NIL era, that's always my default mode. But I can't recall a lot of MD players in the league recently, so maybe the MD staff just doesn't have a solid pitch to him. TJD has a contract, but he was here 4 yrs, and none of these kids plan to spend that much time on any campus, so not sure, other than $$, what the deciding factor would be. Would be a huge get for CMW after the Fland results.

Got this from an SI article today:

Queen recently wrapped up an official visit to Maryland last weekend. Woodson was quick to visit him at Montverde on Tuesday, and Maryland coach Kevin Willard followed suit Wednesday. Zagoria's report did not include Houston in Queen's decision, another school he visited in October.

So perhaps that MD visit did not go well, then Woody got to him on Tuesday...then MD staff goes into panic mode and flies down there today. MD doesn't have any 2024 commits so they're in desperation mode right now.

Share how?

The schools cannot pay them, so they aren’t sharing revenue.

If you make the argument that schools have been using players and now they should share in revenue, I get that. That makes sense. But, that’s not how it is.

No, it’s strictly pay for play. Boosters pay play players, and they have made all cheating legal as long as one says it’s for NIL, and not playing sports.
Good grief. The schools interests can now share instead of the damn school locking up their NIL. It’s really not that hard or complicated. Cheating legal? It’s not cheating. Its capitalism. It’s an antitrust issue.

in the NIL era, that's always my default mode. But I can't recall a lot of MD players in the league recently, so maybe the MD staff just doesn't have a solid pitch to him. TJD has a contract, but he was here 4 yrs, and none of these kids plan to spend that much time on any campus, so not sure, other than $$, what the deciding factor would be. Would be a huge get for CMW after the Fland results.
From everything I’m seeing nil isn’t a deal killer for everyone. Most one and done want to get to the league. Nil is just icing. Most are realizing nil impacts transfer portal guys way more.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Pushing UK or not, he thought it was IU. HE said as much: Exact quote:
" I did not see this going this way.."
My response to that was...yeeaahhh, riggghhhtt Boogie's Dad. Could be how it went, seems a little far fetched that he wouldn't have known. Hard to judge them though, its not like he chose Arkansas State. Even if the money and perks were even, UK isn't a bad place to play college basketball. And I suspect they didn't end up even.

Reactions: kkott
From everything I’m seeing nil isn’t a deal killer for everyone. Most one and done want to get to the league. Nil is just icing. Most are realizing nil impacts transfer portal guys way more.
Probably true for a select few every year. But every year there are probably what 30 kids who legitimately think, and use being a one and done, in their thought process? Of those, there are 10ish that will be no matter where they go, and they know it. So NIL, I would think, would play a decent role with them. The other 20, maybe not as much as going to a school that fits their style, and has had some success sending their similar types of player to the NBA in 1 year...but I would think those players would have a couple choices, at least, that check those boxes well too? Boogie, as an example...IU just sent JHS after 1 year, and he wasn't projected that high coming out of HS. I'll find it hard to believe UK didn't find him and his family "more", and that's what swayed him. Which is fine.

And I think that probably happens more than most think. A LOT of these kids aren't coming from similar situations and home lifes, financially especially, to what most of us had/have. There's a reason why money and cheating has steered recruits to a concentrated number of schools for years. NIL evens the playing field a little, but its still money driving it. And the most money wins, more often than not.

then the Queen situation is strange, because honestly, neither MD or CMW can make a strong case for taking a big out of high school and getting them into the league within 12 months. Maybe the MV/JHS connection works in our favor? Or maybe CMW can say "TJD was heading for a life as an overseas player, until I got here...he gave me 2 yrs, and now he's playing with Steph".....? Or maybe, just maybe...he might want to play with his pal Liam...

I'm not going to get too excited.....learned my lesson with Fland. Just wait until the big reveal, then life moves on.

then the Queen situation is strange, because honestly, neither MD or CMW can make a strong case for taking a big out of high school and getting them into the league within 12 months. Maybe the MV/JHS connection works in our favor? Or maybe CMW can say "TJD was heading for a life as an overseas player, until I got here...he gave me 2 yrs, and now he's playing with Steph".....? Or maybe, just maybe...he might want to play with his pal Liam...

I'm not going to get too excited.....learned my lesson with Fland. Just wait until the big reveal, then life moves on.
I said Queen isn’t convinced Willard can. I didn’t say anything about what he thinks of CMW.

I'm not going to get too excited.....learned my lesson with Fland. Just want until the big reveal, then life moves on.
I want to know how the hell Rutgers suddenly got so appealing. They might end up with two top 5 recruits if Harper picks them. I’d be willing to bet that in the last 30 years if a school got two top 5 recruits it was UNC, Duke, KU or UK. Now suddenly Rutgers (that perennial powerhouse) is getting classes like that?

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I want to know how the hell Rutgers suddenly got so appealing. They might end up with two top 5 recruits if Harper picks them. I’d be willing to bet that in the last 30 years if a school got two top 5 recruits it was UNC, Duke, KU or UK. Now suddenly Rutgers (that perennial powerhouse) is getting classes like that?
One of them they have a huge head start because his brother just played, and had a lot of success there.

Not sure how they got in on Bailey, but getting him, I'm sure, is helping a lot with the more highly touted Harper brother.

No clue what Rutgers NIL situation is, but being a New Jersey B10 school, decent alumni base, they probably have some people that could throw some coin around for these types of kids.

My response to that was...yeeaahhh, riggghhhtt Boogie's Dad. Could be how it went, seems a little far fetched that he wouldn't have known. Hard to judge them though, its not like he chose Arkansas State. Even if the money and perks were even, UK isn't a bad place to play college basketball. And I suspect they didn't end up even.
He was locked in and was like, ‘Mom, I need to make a decision and I need you to respect it..
Dad initially registered surprise.

“I'm going to be honest, it shocked me because I didn’t think he was going in that direction,” John Fland said
Edit----Really good read.

He was locked in and was like, ‘Mom, I need to make a decision and I need you to respect it..
Dad initially registered surprise.

“I'm going to be honest, it shocked me because I didn’t think he was going in that direction,” John Fland said
Edit----Really good read.
Yeah...just skeptical. It is a good story. And I'm sure he'll have a great experience and career.

Not all families are created equal, and the Fland family does seem to be pretty cool. I just "live" with all sorts of basketball prospect families every weekend for 4 months a year, and I can hear pretty much all of them saying something like this in their own way.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It’s nice to be in close recruiting fights with KU and UK instead of Incarnate Word.
College Basketball Dancing GIF by Indiana Hoosiers

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Don't feel nearly as hopeful as I did with BF, and we lost him! Plus, I think BF was a much greater need. Very likely we have 2 of: MR, KW and PS back next year with the possibility of MM too. Frontcourt for next year on paper looks a lot deeper than PG.
Unless Mgbako has a injury he'll be long gone..
Queen has a old man's game. He'd flourish here...
I'd be elated !

Reactions: Gage Fu and edub72
be nice to the drive thru employees. Tough gig making min wage dealing with assholes all night
I can make them earn their money at times. I was a real d*ck the other night to a lady at the pizza joint down the road. I called and got put on forever hold twice trying to order a pizza for carryout and then finally just walked down to have her tell me at 8pm they'd closed the kitchen just now, when their posted closing time was 9 or 10. I said, well, if you'd taken my order either time that I'd called in the last 30 minutes, before I walked down, I'd have gotten my order in. When I asked to see the owner, she agreed to sneak our order in "just for me!". No idea if there was saliva in it, but it was delish! Nice to have a decent pizza about 300 yards from my door!

Boogies decision surprised his parents.. especially his dad. He felt he was going to Indiana.
Why share that? It only makes it hurt worse.

To recruits this age, Kentucky is a bigger name basketball school than IU. It sounds more impressive when announced. It makes him feel more talented, soothing his Ego in the process.

His dad is likely to be more familiar with us… as a scholar of ancient history.

Unless Mgbako has a injury he'll be long gone.
That's what I think too, but I've heard a couple recruitniks recently say they think he might be back for year 2. That's why I said we'll have 2 of the group of KW, MR, MM or PS back, because there's only so many shots to go around. If KW and MM get the #s to leave, then likely that MR and PS won't have the stats to go. Not that I think PS will leave early, but I think he's likely one of the 2 that will be back.

I'm a bit worried that MR being here might keep DQ away. Certainly seem to be similar types of players.

Last edited:
Reactions: birdforbogey
I can make them earn their money at times. I was a real d*ck the other night to a lady at the pizza joint down the road. I called and got put on forever hold twice trying to order a pizza for carryout and then finally just walked down to have her tell me at 8pm they'd closed the kitchen just now, when their posted closing time was 9 or 10. I said, well, if you'd taken my order either time that I'd called in the last 30 minutes, before I walked down, I'd have gotten my order in. When I asked to see the owner, she agreed to sneak our order in "just for me!". No idea if there was saliva in it, but it was delish! Nice to have a decent pizza about 300 yards from my door!
You should feel lucky if it was only saliva. Hope she was not in menses when you ordered extra tomato sauce. What did she discharge…excuse me, charge you and how much tip?

I don't know what you meant when you said that we were all in, but for me, I said I was cautiously optimistic, I felt that iU had a very precarious lead. My confidence level was just over 50%. For, DQ it is just a bit under 50%. But IU still has a chance.

I don't understand that argument, outrageous salaries of pro athletes. Do you think old rich white dudes are paying athletes one more dollar than they are worth?
I didn't ask you to understand it, but I don't think it's a difficult concept to grasp. It just began to sicken me to think about someone I was involved with working her ass off in an important and meaningful job for society and having to budget every dime, while sports entertainers were making tens of millions of dollars. It just made me lose interest. I don't begrudge or blame them for taking the money or asking for it when the market is bearing it, I just didn't want to support it anymore.

Ever get sick after eating some type of food? Did you keep eating it? I got sick as a dog from a chicken salad sandwich driving back from a vacation about 20 years ago and still rarely eat the stuff. It's just a slightly different version of that for me.

Last edited:
You should feel lucky if it was only saliva. Hope she was not in menses when you ordered extra tomato sauce. What did she discharge…excuse me, charge you and how much tip?
She was at the counter... didn't go near the kitchen and no extra sauce. But it was Ritchie's Special Peperoni pie, so... We still tipped, not much, a few dollars. We walked down and then brought the pizza back and had to basically threaten her to get her to do her job, so I didn't think a decent tip was warranted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT