ADVERTISEMENT

Here are the B1G standings going into the final games...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001

If I've got it right, if both Purdue and NW win tomorrow, we have to beat Iowa in the late game or we are out of the tournament. A Purdue loss tomorrow against MD in a 1 p.m. (ET) game on the BTN would put us in even if NW beats Minn tomorrow. I believe that if both Purdue and NW lose tomorrow that a Husker win would put them in the 8th seed with IU in the 7th seed no matter what we do. An IU loss, a Purdue loss and a NW win would put NW in the 7th seed with us in the 8th seed. If IU wins and PSU loses tomorrow, PSU would have the tie breaker over us for the 6th seed even if we didn't play them and I believe the tie breaker on that is the record against common opponents. I can't help but think about that blown game against the Gophers where we lost on that 2-run homer in the 9th in the last game of that series, then we blow a 13-2 lead last night, and now we are reduced to this. I hope I got this right and if not, maybe someone can help.

Last edited:
Mostly right but a Nebraska win tomorrow also clinches a spot as IU wins all two and three-way tiebreakers involving Huskers so even if NW and Purdue won IU would win a three way tiebreaker at 10-14 involving IU, NW and Neb and be the eight seed.

Mostly right but a Nebraska win tomorrow also clinches a spot as IU wins all two and three-way tiebreakers involving Huskers so even if NW and Purdue won IU would win a three way tiebreaker at 10-14 involving IU, NW and Neb and be the eight seed.
NW has the tie breaker over us because of their series win over us, so I assume that if Purdue won they would be the 7-seed and with NW having a tie breaker over us if we lost and they won. It's getting late so maybe my brain is scrambled right now and I can't think straight.

Reactions: mk30
NW has the tie breaker over us because of their series win over us, so I assume that if Purdue won they would be the 7-seed and with NW having a tie breaker over us if we lost and they won. It's getting late so maybe my brain is scrambled right now and I can't think straight.
In a two way tie NW wins it indeed. In a three way tie with Neb AND NW which would happen if Neb won, head to head gets thrown out since all three teams have not played each other. It goes to record vs. common opponents which IU wins and becomes 8 seed over Neb and NW.

In a two way tie NW wins it indeed. In a three way tie with Neb AND NW which would happen if Neb won, head to head gets thrown out since all three teams have not played each other. It goes to record vs. common opponents which IU wins and becomes 8 seed over Neb and NW.
gotcha.

So since I can't seem to count on the Hoosiers to beat Iowa, it's Go Shuckers and Go Turtles?

I feel dirty. Need to go shower.

Reactions: mk30 and 82IU
I would be happy if IU gets in the tournament and still rooting them on no matter what, although It is head scratching to see Mercer pull Tucker so early and then not use Bothwell or maybe even Brehmer to try to get the opening victory. Injuries or sore arms may be dictating what is going on with the decisions. Holderfield just seems to be out of gas. Maybe he was used to much this year and is paying the price right now. What I hope is that we can hold onto the good hitters we have and bring in 2 or 3 decent pitchers for next year. The Portal kind of scares me at this point. I would hate to see a mass exodus due to team and coaching chemistry. If we can get the pitching just back to average this team could make a lot of noise next year.
Go Hoosiers (I'm not ready for the season to end)!

I would be happy if IU gets in the tournament and still rooting them on no matter what, although It is head scratching to see Mercer pull Tucker so early and then not use Bothwell or maybe even Brehmer to try to get the opening victory. Injuries or sore arms may be dictating what is going on with the decisions. Holderfield just seems to be out of gas. Maybe he was used to much this year and is paying the price right now. What I hope is that we can hold onto the good hitters we have and bring in 2 or 3 decent pitchers for next year. The Portal kind of scares me at this point. I would hate to see a mass exodus due to team and coaching chemistry. If we can get the pitching just back to average this team could make a lot of noise next year.
I want to feel the same way.

Reactions: 82IU
Yeah, that portal with the rule you can transfer once without having to sit out has really changed the landscape in college sports. Generally speaking, with the portal and the MLB draft, who knows what a roster might look like from one season to the next.

The Saturday Purdue/Maryland game has been canceled due to weather and Maryland having a travel curfew that required them to be on the road to Chicago by 5:30 p.m. (ET). If I'm looking at the standings correctly, not playing the Terps in that third game automatically hands the Boilers a spot in the tournament. If NW wins their game, we will have to beat Iowa tonight to get in. It looked like the Boilers were in trouble over having those OSU games canceled and now it looks like the weather helped them out. In other games as I post this:

Nebraska 9 MSU 3 in the 8th
Illinois 7 PSU 4 (final)
NW and Minn - No score in the 2nd
Rutgers 8 Michigan 7 in the 5th

If I'm looking at things right, we need for Minnesota to beat NW and if they don't, a win tonight would be an absolute must, and the team will know that so it will all be on their shoulders.

I'm watching the live stats on the NW/Minn game and it is 1-0 Gophers with the Gophers batting in the B4th.

It not just the car dude that thinks IU is in FWIW. FWIW making the field will have differing values depending on one’s perspective. Among the most obvious it will:
give some of the kids an experience that may be of value in future years,
it will keep a streak of team appearances alive, &
at least for this site give some fans an excuse to complain.

I'm watching the live stats on the NW/Minn game and it is 1-0 Gophers with the Gophers batting in the B4th.
The Gophers added to their lead with a run in the B6th and now lead 2-0 with NW batting T7th. With Purdue not playing, they eliminated any chance that Nebraska had and the Husker fans are irate over what happened today, blaming everyone from the Purdue officials, to the head ump, to the B1G commish. FWIW, I saw a tweet that not a drop of rain fell on the stadium with the tarp still on the field when it was 2:30 and the game was to start at 1 p.m.

The Saturday Purdue/Maryland game has been canceled due to weather and Maryland having a travel curfew that required them to be on the road to Chicago by 5:30 p.m. (ET). If I'm looking at the standings correctly, not playing the Terps in that third game automatically hands the Boilers a spot in the tournament. If NW wins their game, we will have to beat Iowa tonight to get in. It looked like the Boilers were in trouble over having those OSU games canceled and now it looks like the weather helped them out. In other games as I post this:

Nebraska 9 MSU 3 in the 8th
Illinois 7 PSU 4 (final)
NW and Minn - No score in the 2nd
Rutgers 8 Michigan 7 in the 5th

If I'm looking at things right, we need for Minnesota to beat NW and if they don't, a win tonight would be an absolute must, and the team will know that so it will all be on their shoulders.
For the last time Nebraska losing clinched it for IU and Austin Render the team's radio guy confirmed it on twitter. I figured this all out myself last night. Next time listen to me.

For the last time Nebraska losing clinched it for IU and Austin Render the team's radio guy confirmed it on twitter. I figured this all out myself last night. Next time listen to me.
Okay, I'm listening, so tonight's game will depend on if it's Maryland or Rutgers we face off with on Weds, and I would prefer to see Rutgers again.

Okay, I'm listening, so tonight's game will depend on if it's Maryland or Rutgers we face off with on Weds, and I would prefer to see Rutgers again.
A win moves them up to sixth. Despite your inaccuracies IU has that tiebreaker as well and PSU lost today. If Rutgers beat Michigan they have tiebreaker on Illinois and it would be IU Illinois in 3-6 game. If Michigan wins IU faces Iowa again in 3-6 game as both would be 16-8 and Iowa has head to head tiebreakers.

A loss to Iowa tonight and its IU Maryland in 1-8 game.

You have done a great job keeping us informed this year and we all appreciate it but please don’t try to figure out tiebreakers anymore as clearly you are not good at it.

I am happy to help there.

A win moves them up to sixth. Despite your inaccuracies IU has that tiebreaker as well and PSU lost today. If Rutgers beat Michigan they have tiebreaker on Illinois and it would be IU Illinois in 3-6 game. If Michigan wins IU faces Iowa again in 3-6 game as both would be 16-8 and Iowa has head to head tiebreakers.

You have done a great job keeping us informed this year and we all appreciate it but please don’t try to figure out tiebreakers anymore as clearly you are not good at it.

Might want to hop off that high horse before you fall off.

I didn't claim to be an expert at it and I posted what I thought the situation was at the time and indicated that if I'm wrong to feel free to correct me and you did. If we win tonight and are tied with PSU at 11-13, I'm pretty sure I heard previously that PSU in the event of any tie with them, had the tie breaker over us even though we didn't play them, so if that's not correct, what is the the deciding factor that gives us the edge over PSU for that 6th seed? Maybe I misheard that or maybe that comment I heard was wrong, but it's my understanding or so I thought that the record against common opponents decided that and I really hadn't tried to figure that out if that's so. Maybe it was that way at the time and recent games changed that around. Thanks.

You are correct in the tiebreaker, but wrong in the common opponents and who wins it. IU wins that head to head. Already figured that out today.

Also Rutgers just won so a win tonight by IU moves them up to the sixth seed where they would face Illinois who is a much better matchup than Maryland. Illinois like IU hits a ton but can't pitch. You can win a shootout against them as IU did in Bloomington this year. Maryland is just elite at everything and one of best teams in country. Should give IU plenty of incentive to win tonight.

Also Rutgers just won so a win tonight by IU moves them up to the sixth seed where they would face Illinois who is a much better matchup than Maryland. Illinois like IU hits a ton but can't pitch. You can win a shootout against them as IU did in Bloomington this year. Maryland is just elite at everything and one of best teams in country. Should give IU plenty of incentive to win tonight.
No one matches up well with Maryland this season. NW scored 6 runs in the 9th and it appears that they are going to win that game so it's good that we have that tie breaker. FWIW, the prognosticators have just Maryland and Rutgers in the NCAAs this season which would be a drop off for the B1G in an off season to say the least, if that ends up being the case. Iowa certainly wants to stay in the conversation for the NCAAs with a sweep of us, and maybe a couple of wins in the B1G tournament.

No one matches up well with Maryland this season. NW scored 6 runs in the 9th and it appears that they are going to win that game so it's good that we have that tie breaker. FWIW, the prognosticators have just Maryland and Rutgers in the NCAAs this season which would be a drop off for the B1G in an off season to say the least, if that ends up being the case. Iowa certainly wants to stay in the conversation for the NCAAs with a sweep of us, and maybe a couple of wins in the B1G tournament.
Agreed on all points!

Here's are three posts of many from Husker fans over the situation today, and I don't think the Boilers are going to be received well in Omaha whether it is fair or not.

Quotes:

To be fair, we've played all 24 games.

To be fair, we waited 6+ hours to finish an inning that ended up costing us a trip to Omaha.

To be fair, Purdue did absolutely nothing to play 3 conference games.

To be fair, Purdue absolutely dodged today's game without consequences.

To be fair, the winner of the Sparty/Huskers game earned a spot in the B1G tournament.
Yes, this season has sucked - but it doesn't take away the fact 2 teams currently playing have played their full conference schedule & earned the trip next week.

Here's another post:

Hasn't rained in Lafayette since early am.

If the conference had any integrity/backbone they would force Purdue to forfeit.

I don't care if Nebraska would be in or not, hell... Play with 7 teams in Omaha. Just don't reward that behavior

Yet another post:

Is there a big NU booster of substance who could buy up 10,000 tickets for Purdue's opener in Omaha? Then fans get a free ticket on the condition that they boo Purdue unmercifully for all 9 innings.

Could even throw in a free hot dog for creative heckling.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT