ADVERTISEMENT

Herbie Simon and his brother

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
bought the Pacer for 11 million in 1983, they really had no interest in buying a pro franchise but thought the pacers were important to the city and didn't want them to leave town which was likely going to happen. the mayor at the time convinced them to step in. according to an article in the USA today they held several meetings trying to get investors to buy into the team but found no takers. so, they decided to give it a go on their own.

Today the Pacer are valued at 2.9 BILLION. lesson to you kids out there serve your community and good thing will happen.

bought the Pacer for 11 million in 1983, they really had no interest in buying a pro franchise but thought the pacers were important to the city and didn't want them to leave town which was likely going to happen. the mayor at the time convinced them to step in. according to an article in the USA today they held several meetings trying to get investors to buy into the team but found no takers. so, they decided to give it a go on their own.

Today the Pacer are valued at 2.9 BILLION. lesson to you kids out there serve your community and good thing will happen.
Cool post. Using current value of money: $11M in 83 is approx. $34M today. One hell of a return. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Hard to say this because I truly love some of the late night musings of kc, but this very well could be my favorite post. I’ve been bullish on the Simons for several years for being rather tight with their salaries and never bringing a championship to Indy, but you are spot on. It really was gloom and doom back then. As a kid I listened to every Pacer game on the radio and watched the few times a year they played on tv. I remember being devastated they were either leaving or folding.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Hard to say this because I truly love some of the late night musings of kc, but this very well could be my favorite post. I’ve been bullish on the Simons for several years for being rather tight with their salaries and never bringing a championship to Indy, but you are spot on. It really was gloom and doom back then. As a kid I listened to every Pacer game on the radio and watched the few times a year they played on tv. I remember being devastated they were either leaving or folding.
they averaged 4,000 fans a game in 1982. I'm from the Louisville area and when the Colonels folded instead of paying 1 million to enter the NBA it devasted the area. John Y Brown was the owner, who was credited with being a great businessman because he was an early investor in Kentucky Fried Chicken. He missed the boat on the NBA. Compare Louisville and Indy today and that decision had a long-term impact. at the time the cities were very similar, not today. the last ABA champion Colonels with Artis Gilmore Dan Issel and Maurice Lucas would have won an NBA title.

they averaged 4,000 fans a game in 1982. I'm from the Louisville area and when the Colonels folded instead of paying 1 million to enter the NBA it devasted the area. John Y Brown was the owner, who was credited with being a great businessman because he was an early investor in Kentucky Fried Chicken. He missed the boat on the NBA. Compare Louisville and Indy today and that decision had a long-term impact. at the time the cities were very similar, not today. the last ABA champion Colonels with Artis Gilmore Dan Issel and Maurice Lucas would have won an NBA title.
Yep. Those ABA battles between the Pacers and Colonels were epic. They played a game at Seymour HS’s new gym for some reason. I was standing by the entrance to the court when Artis Gilmore walked over and signed some autographs. I was so stunned at his size I couldn’t even ask him to sign my program. I didn’t know humans like that existed.

John L Brown single-handedly hamstrung the city of Louisville in a way they’ll probably never recover from. I mean, they do ok and will always have bourbon and the Detby, but they’ll more than likely never have a major league team. That’s a totally valid point kurt.

Side note: Jacksonville with Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows was one of my favorite teams solely because of their size. Freaking UCLA just couldn’t be beaten back then.

Yep. Those ABA battles between the Pacers and Colonels were epic. They played a game at Seymour HS’s new gym for some reason. I was standing by the entrance to the court when Artis Gilmore walked over and signed some autographs. I was so stunned at his size I couldn’t even ask him to sign my program. I didn’t know humans like that existed.

John L Brown single-handedly hamstrung the city of Louisville in a way they’ll probably never recover from. I mean, they do ok and will always have bourbon and the Detby, but they’ll more than likely never have a major league team. That’s a totally valid point kurt.

Side note: Jacksonville with Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows was one of my favorite teams solely because of their size. Freaking UCLA just couldn’t be beaten back then.
played golf with Artis once at a charity outing, he wasn't very good. one of the most under rated big guys in basketball history, him McGinnis Dr J , Gervin prime days were all in the ABA. do you remember Marvin Bad News Barnes

There more to the story than Louisville losing a basketball team.

played golf with Artis once at a charity outing, he wasn't very good. one of the most under rated big guys in basketball history, him McGinnis Dr J , Gervin prime days were all in the ABA. do you remember Marvin Bad News Barnes
Artis Gilmore....there's a name I hadn't heard forever. Quick story, and I have no idea if this is true, but somewhat interesting. When I was growing up in northern Indiana, I heard a story from some of the locals (this was in the mid-80's) that Artis almost ended up playing high school ball at Logansport. Story was that a local business person had a connection to wherever Artis was from and heard about him. Family was very poor and he offered the mom or dad a job if they would move to the area so Artis could play. Supposedly they had agreed to it, but then another school caught on and grabbed him. Again, no idea if it's true, but I'm not sure how anyone would come up with the story if there wasn't some truth to it.

Mario Lemeiux and Ron Burkle bought the Penguins for basically $100 million plus operating capital roughly 20 years ago. They sold them for $800 million two years ago.

Artis Gilmore....there's a name I hadn't heard forever. Quick story, and I have no idea if this is true, but somewhat interesting. When I was growing up in northern Indiana, I heard a story from some of the locals (this was in the mid-80's) that Artis almost ended up playing high school ball at Logansport. Story was that a local business person had a connection to wherever Artis was from and heard about him. Family was very poor and he offered the mom or dad a job if they would move to the area so Artis could play. Supposedly they had agreed to it, but then another school caught on and grabbed him. Again, no idea if it's true, but I'm not sure how anyone would come up with the story if there wasn't some truth to it.
wonder how he ended up at Jacksonville, that was before my time, did they have any tradition before then? not even sure they still have a basketball team.

wonder how he ended up at Jacksonville, that was before my time, did they have any tradition before then? not even sure they still have a basketball team.
Holy crap, just read his Wiki page and found the below...sounds like my story might have some legs to it! Artis could have been a Berrie!

Initially most interested in playing football, Gilmore could not play because his father, who was a fisherman, could not afford the required insurance for him to participate.[1] When public schools were integrated, he attended Chipley High School for one week before leaving home to attend Carver High School in Dothan, Alabama, a larger community 35 miles to the north.[2]

Artis was from Florida, west of Tallahassee. The school still exists. No tradition before or after that I am aware of.
Chipley is in Florida. Dothan is across the border in Alabama. If you drive south from Indiana on 231 it takes you right through Dothan, crosses the border in Florida and passes through Chipley which is 34 miles south and proceeds through the state and terminates at Panama City.

That dude was scary. And crazy.

Chipley is in Florida. Dothan is across the border in Alabama. If you drive south from Indiana on 231 it takes you right through Dothan, crosses the border in Florida and passes through Chipley which is 34 miles south and proceeds through the state and terminates at Panama City.
I remember those old ABA days fondly. Watching channel 4, Jerry baker, Slick Leonard big Mel,the raja,neto, little Billy and of course big George. I remember when Larry brown played for the Denver nuggets. That's how old I am. And I'll never forget the Miami Floridians bikini clad cheerleaders. Those were the days.

I remember those old ABA days fondly. Watching channel 4, Jerry baker, Slick Leonard big Mel,the raja,neto, little Billy and of course big George. I remember when Larry brown played for the Denver nuggets. That's how old I am. And I'll never forget the Miami Floridians bikini clad cheerleaders. Those were the days.
You bet! We’re probably pretty close to the same age. Great memories.

Reactions: kmathum
Sitting next to dad in the fairgrounds coliseum watching the game while he and most every other fan is enjoying a good smoke.

Have always been impressed with David Simon, Chairman of SPG. During Covid the stock price dropped in the $40s and noticed he put $9M of his own money into the stock. It bounced back over $200. There was a ton of money to be made in 2020 if you had cash on the sidelines. Was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Reactions: rocket_knight
I certainly recall the telecast to keep the Pacers in town. Indy bet on sports and it really paid off over all. The 1987 Pan American games, Willie Banks triple jump world record, a Super Bowl, and two NBA all star games later- Indy very healhy. Even though Malls suck and eventually die and leave huge swath of concrete empty and desolate.

I’m going to try to purchase my local rec team for a few $$ and see what happens

I certainly recall the telecast to keep the Pacers in town. Indy bet on sports and it really paid off over all. The 1987 Pan American games, Willie Banks triple jump world record, a Super Bowl, and two NBA all star games later- Indy very healhy. Even though Malls suck and eventually die and leave huge swath of concrete empty and desolate.
If we could somehow elect a sober and remotely competent mayor, the city would shine again. I have a very bad feeling about this weekend’s festivities. Powder keg-ish. Pray I’m wrong.

Reactions: Indyhorn

I remember that final four very well. I was a St. Bonaventure and Bob Lanier fan and it was ridiculous that he couldn't play in the Final Four. In the regional final against Villanova the Bonnies were up by 20 points with only a couple of minutes remaining and Lanier should not have been in the game. He came down from a rebound and Chris Ford crashed into Lanier's knee, tearing his ACL. Even without Lanier the Bonnies only lost by eight to Jacksonville in the semifinal.
Author Robert Stern of the book "They Were Number One" said this statement. "There were many who felt the Bonnie would have taken the less experienced Dolphins and then rolled over UCLA to become the first independent northeast team to capture the national championship in twenty years." Another lucky escape for John Wooden, to go along with stalling the following season against Villanova to help UCLA win 68-62, and all of us regret the injury to Scott May in 1975 to allow UCLA to win for Wooden's last title.

I remember that final four very well. I was a St. Bonaventure and Bob Lanier fan and it was ridiculous that he couldn't play in the Final Four. In the regional final against Villanova the Bonnies were up by 20 points with only a couple of minutes remaining and Lanier should not have been in the game. He came down from a rebound and Chris Ford crashed into Lanier's knee, tearing his ACL. Even without Lanier the Bonnies only lost by eight to Jacksonville in the semifinal.
Author Robert Stern of the book "They Were Number One" said this statement. "There were many who felt the Bonnie would have taken the less experienced Dolphins and then rolled over UCLA to become the first independent northeast team to capture the national championship in twenty years." Another lucky escape for John Wooden, to go along with stalling the following season against Villanova to help UCLA win 68-62, and all of us regret the injury to Scott May in 1975 to allow UCLA to win for Wooden's last title.
lanier cowens huge guy for goldenst his name ecsapes me diffvgame bak then

Have always been impressed with David Simon, Chairman of SPG. During Covid the stock price dropped in the $40s and noticed he put $9M of his own money into the stock. It bounced back over $200. There was a ton of money to be made in 2020 if you had cash on the sidelines. Was like shooting fish in a barrel.
I believe it did fall below $50/share, but hasn't come close to $200 during that span. Very good management.

Sitting next to dad in the fairgrounds coliseum watching the game while he and most every other fan is enjoying a good smoke.
At halftime there was always a thick layer of haze over the court. As 16 year olds, we’d sometimes get lucky and buy a bottle of long necked Blatz served by a black man selling them from the aisles out of metal ice bucket. “Cold beer HERE!” I can hear him as if yesterday.

If you followed Jacksonville back then, you’re probably familiar with their third leading scorer, 5-10 G, Vaughn Wedeking. He graduated from Evansville Harrison HS. My brother roomed with him for several years while they were doing post-grad work. Sadly, Vaughn died of advanced dementia at age 60.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT