ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Aids

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
How many here use them and what kind? Over the counter or prescription?

Had my first hearing test in decades last week. ENT Doc said wear hearing aids. More evidence of OWGism. At the appointment with the audiologist I took her deposition about the whole deal. Settled on ReSound Omnis. Bluetooth, IOS compatible, great app, best noise filter, and more. People who have modern hearing aids listen to music, listen to radio/sports, podcasts, talk on the phone, and play YouTube through them. My EMT told me Bose and Apple will both be releasing hearing aids in the coming months. Soon hearing aids and earbuds will be the same thing. Oh, I’m told hearing aids help cognition. Can’t wait for that.

Had my first hearing test in decades last week. ENT Doc said wear hearing aids. More evidence of OWGism. At the appointment with the audiologist I took her deposition about the whole deal. Settled on ReSound Omnis. Bluetooth, IOS compatible, great app, best noise filter, and more. People who have modern hearing aids listen to music, listen to radio/sports, podcasts, talk on the phone, and play YouTube through them. My EMT told me Bose and Apple will both be releasing hearing aids in the coming months. Soon hearing aids and earbuds will be the same thing. Oh, I’m told hearing aids help cognition. Can’t wait for that.
Thanks COH for bringing up this topic.

Have several older friends with whom I meet weekly. Several of them suffer hearing loss problems. Some have spent many thousands of dollars on hearing aides and still have difficulty hearing, especially when there are conflicting noises in the room.

My wife is going to have her hearing tested soon. Predict results will see us hunting for aids before Christmas. COH, not sure what you mean by mentioning ReSound Omnis. Bluetooth, IOS.

My GF just bought two sets for her 87 year-old mother online. Both were junk.

I've heard these work really well:
Man-with-ear-trumpet.jpg

Hearing aid options got much better recently:

This needs done for CPAP devices as they are ridiculously high due to prescription requirements. Kids aren't going to go out and by cpaps because wearing them makes one look cool.
MtM, the FDA ruling is a good step in the right direction. However, got a strong feeling my wife's condition is a severe hearing impairment with the OTC products recommended by the FDA not being sufficient to help her.

Had a social conversation with an audiologist lately and she was very uneasy when I brought up her recommending a specific hearing aid device for someone with a severe hearing impairment, Cannot blame her as offering professional advice in a social setting should be avoided, I apologized to her, and she smiled as if to say, "Nice try".

Thanks COH for bringing up this topic.

Have several older friends with whom I meet weekly. Several of them suffer hearing loss problems. Some have spent many thousands of dollars on hearing aides and still have difficulty hearing, especially when there are conflicting noises in the room.

My wife is going to have her hearing tested soon. Predict results will see us hunting for aids before Christmas. COH, not sure what you mean by mentioning ReSound Omnis. Bluetooth, IOS.
ReSound Omnia is the make and model.

Bluetooth and IOS compatible means that whatever my phone plays can be played through the hearing aids. Also means I can padjust the volume and noise frequency with my phone app.
I could also put my phone on a table or next to TV and it’s mike will send the sound to my hearing aids. If I were surreptitious, I can put my phone or bluetooth Mike in another room and listen in.

I've worn them for about 6 years now. Mine are Unitron's. For the first 5 yrs they were great. The program that the audiologist, in the office configured them to, we great. I sent them in for a facotry refresh, at the end of the 5 year warranty, expecting them to come back in the same configuration. Nope and they suck right now. But that's probably because I've been to damn stubborn to make an office appointment.
Yes tying them to your phone/ TV is better than sex (with someone you've been married to for more than 6 months and is over 24).
I travel a lot to customers. Getting in the rental car, dialing up Google maps to have everything piped right into your ears is priceless. Last bu not least, I've got a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the TV. She can talk talk talk talk talk, and I only have to nod every once in a while and never miss 1 second of the show/ game.

ReSound Omnia is the make and model.

Bluetooth and IOS compatible means that whatever my phone plays can be played through the hearing aids. Also means I can padjust the volume and noise frequency with my phone app.
I could also put my phone on a table or next to TV and it’s mike will send the sound to my hearing aids. If I were surreptitious, I can put my phone or bluetooth Mike in another room and listen in.

CoH, sounds great (no pun intended).

How much cost?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Had my first hearing test in decades last week. ENT Doc said wear hearing aids. More evidence of OWGism.

I think the odds of an ENT or audiologist telling you everything is fine, or even that you're not 100% but aids aren't necessary, are essentially zero. If all you've got is a hammer...

Within the last six months I found myself being involved with the health care profession for the first time beyond infrequent singular trips to urgent care and the like for the occasional minor injury or needed a script for a chest infection. My new "family care physician" is doing her damndest to find something wrong with me that they can use to justify more tests and more visits and more this and more that, maybe even something IU Hospital can make some money on. So far I've been a disappointment, but they're still looking.

I think the odds of an ENT or audiologist telling you everything is fine, or even that you're not 100% but aids aren't necessary, are essentially zero. If all you've got is a hammer...

Within the last six months I found myself being involved with the health care profession for the first time beyond infrequent singular trips to urgent care and the like for the occasional minor injury or needed a script for a chest infection. My new "family care physician" is doing her damndest to find something wrong with me that they can use to justify more tests and more visits and more this and more that, maybe even something IU Hospital can make some money on. So far I've been a disappointment, but they're still looking.
Have they started at the top?? I keed I keed

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: NPT and UncleMark
I wear Phonak Naida V aids, which are pretty much as powerful as you can get. I started wearing HA's in my 30's and my hearing has gotten progressively worse. I've been through 6 sets over the years. (I'm now 61.) The only thing left for me when these don't do the job (which will be pretty soon) is a cochlear implant.

The Phonak has all the bluetooth stuff, which is pretty handy with cell phones. I was showing a collegue what I can do with it and he said, "Damn, kinda makes me wish my ears were ****ed like yours." Lol.

I also use the Roger devices, which are external mics that you can use to target specific sound sources and isolate them from other background clutter. Hearing aids are a PITA, but I couldn't get along without them.

Neither my ENT doc nor the audiologist who did my test will sell me the hearing aids.

Anyone know about Medicaid and hearing aids? My sister mentioned she is on Medicare and Medicaid and needs a hearing aid. I don't think Medicare pays anything. I can help her some, but I don't know if Medicaid covers anything. Anyone with ideas, or even who to talk to? I have never dealt with this part of bureaucracy.

Thanks

Well, I'm sure an audiologist can look at a person's audiogram and tell someone that they could benefit from hearing aids. But whether a person needs hearing aids will be apparent to the patient. Can you ****ing hear and understand when people speak to you? No? You probably need hearing aids. It's not that hard to figure out. I don't think too many people are getting suckered into expensive (and not covered by insurance) and annoying hearing instruments just because some audiologist tells them that they should. No one wants hearing aids, and most people avoid them long after they actually do need them. When I see a dude with hearing aids I don't think, "that poor schmuck got taken by an ENT." I'm thinking the guy needs hearing aids.

Anyone know about Medicaid and hearing aids? My sister mentioned she is on Medicare and Medicaid and needs a hearing aid. I don't think Medicare pays anything. I can help her some, but I don't know if Medicaid covers anything. Anyone with ideas, or even who to talk to? I have never dealt with this part of bureaucracy.

Thanks
My Medicare advantage plan paid for the test, ENT exam, and 1/2 of hearing aids. Don’t know about Medicaid.

Well, I'm sure an audiologist can look at a person's audiogram and tell someone that they could benefit from hearing aids. But whether a person needs hearing aids will be apparent to the patient. Can you ****ing hear and understand when people speak to you? No? You probably need hearing aids. It's not that hard to figure out. I don't think too many people are getting suckered into expensive (and not covered by insurance) and annoying hearing instruments just because some audiologist tells them that they should. No one wants hearing aids, and most people avoid them long after they actually do need them. When I see a dude with hearing aids I don't think, "that poor schmuck got taken by an ENT." I'm thinking the guy needs hearing aids.
There is more to hearing than understanding somebody sitting next to you.

• Haha
After 30 years of hearing aids, a profound hearing loss, and contemplating a cochlear implant...I'm well aware of the ramifications of hearing impairment.
Sorry about all of that. It’s the little things. For example, I hadn’t heard the dog tags rattle when our dog runs around for decades. Didn't even realize I couldn’t hear that. Other examples too.

Sorry about all of that. It’s the little things. For example, I hadn’t heard the dog tags rattle when our dog runs around for decades. Didn't even realize I couldn’t hear that. Other examples too.

No worries. I get it. Didn't mean to be harsh. My only point about the conversation aspect was that this is what prompts people to seek help generally. It's the thing that let's people know, it's necessary, and not simply something that an ENT is trying to push.

I wear Phonak and have for about 4 years....not cheap...$6000 but they improved my hearing reatly and you can stream phone calls, music, videos, etc.

After 30 years of hearing aids, a profound hearing loss, and contemplating a cochlear implant...I'm well aware of the ramifications of hearing impairment.
I had an acoustic neuroma (brain tumor) which damaged the inner ear and took all of my left ear hearing.
Been wearing Phonak "cross" hearing aids for about a month and its amazing. The left ear has a receiver which looks like a normal hearing aid but it shoots it over to the right ear hearing aid and the brain senses the sound is coming from the left side...pretty freaking amazing and very new technology.
I also trialed a set of Oticon brand hearing aids but had issues with unpairing and connecting to my vehicle phone. Both rechargeable(highly recommend) and battery life is a good 12-13 hours befor a charge is required.

My wife pushed to get me hearing aids and after wearing them for three years I have taken them out and do just fine. I still struggle in some situations but in most cases I can take what I hear and fill in the gaps to know what was said.

Hearing aids always made my ears feel plugged up and after years of ear infection when I was young it isn't a feeling I like having - my ears plugged up that is. I still have them in a drawer and if mine get worse again I will have them to use.

My wife pushed to get me hearing aids...

That's pretty common. The first people to notice that you need hearing aids are the ones trying to talk with you. The person who needs the aids just complains that everyone talks too softly, and mumbles. Been there.

My speech discrimination is pretty poor. I can't really understand single words. If you came up to me and said "store" or "bread" I'd have no idea what you were saying. Floor? Bore? Chore? Fred? Dread? Tread? But if you said, "Can you go to the store and get some bread," I'd get that. With context your brain fills in the blanks. The other thing is music. In the car if Brown Sugar came on the radio, it'd just be noise to me. But if you tell me it's Brown Sugar, then I can then hear it. Doesn't work with music I've not heard before though. ;-(

But I can't do accents. I'm lost with that. Which of course sucks in IT since most tech support is Indian. That's when I tell the sysadmin, "You're up."

My wife pushed to get me hearing aids and after wearing them for three years I have taken them out and do just fine. I still struggle in some situations but in most cases I can take what I hear and fill in the gaps to know what was said.

Hearing aids always made my ears feel plugged up and after years of ear infection when I was young it isn't a feeling I like having - my ears plugged up that is. I still have them in a drawer and if mine get worse again I will have them to use.
I tried them for about a week.

They helped a bit but randome sounds like the clock tickiing or dog nails on the wood floor was deafening.

I tried them for about a week.

They helped a bit but randome sounds like the clock tickiing or dog nails on the wood floor was deafening.

This is where a good audiologist comes in. Very rarely is an aid programmed perfectly the first time out. You let the audi know what is working and what isn't and they adjust the frequency gains. It takes awhile to get it right.

What you describe is pretty common. Especially at first. I distinctly remember when I first got an HA many years ago, the clatter of the cart in the grocery store was intolerable.

Reactions: brianiu

So I had a hearing test today, at the insistence of my wife, and I was told I could benefit from a hearing aid. Just one, as my right ear has only marginal loss. She was going to order one, I have no idea which, for me to try.

Here's the funny part, my insurance pays $3000 for hearing aids. Yippee. But I am limited to that $3000. If I wanted better hearing aids, and she said two hearing aids for under $3000 would be analog that no one likes, I could if I paid for them entirely myself. The insurance does not allow me to have them pay the first $3000 and me cover the rest.

What a crazy system we have.

So I had a hearing test today, at the insistence of my wife, and I was told I could benefit from a hearing aid. Just one, as my right ear has only marginal loss. She was going to order one, I have no idea which, for me to try.

Here's the funny part, my insurance pays $3000 for hearing aids. Yippee. But I am limited to that $3000. If I wanted better hearing aids, and she said two hearing aids for under $3000 would be analog that no one likes, I could if I paid for them entirely myself. The insurance does not allow me to have them pay the first $3000 and me cover the rest.

I amazed that you have insurance that will pay anything at all. I have spent ~$30,000 over the years on hearing aids, Not one cent from insurance. :(

But to allocate $3k for analog aids...not towards digital aids...is bizarre.

Reactions: brianiu
I amazed that you have insurance that will pay anything at all. I have spent ~$30,000 over the years on hearing aids, Not one cent from insurance. :(

But to allocate $3k for analog aids...not towards digital aids...is bizarre.
My guess is they aren't paying any, such as it is. It just will go against my deductible.

My guess is they aren't paying any, such as it is. It just will go against my deductible.
This thread is depressing. IUINSB graduated from IU in 1949. Hank has been wearing hearing aids for 3 decades. I wonder what the average age of this board is.

It's amazing how many "health" things fall outside of health insurance. I just got the bill for my daughter's braces. Dental insurance is worthless

Wife insisted? LOL. That's when I turn up the TV.

This thread is depressing. IUINSB graduated from IU in 1949. Hank has been wearing hearing aids for 3 decades. I wonder what the average age of this board is.

It's amazing how many "health" things fall outside of health insurance. I just got the bill for my daughter's braces. Dental insurance is worthless
Wait. Aren't you 60-something?

Even at that, though, you're probably bringing the average age down considerably.

One thing I've always done is plan ahead and made sure I signed up for an FSA for those years where I anticipated new hearing aids. Even though they aren't covered by insurance, they are approved FSA expenses. So at least I could use pre tax income to buy them.

I have heard that Costco has them for reasonable prices and an audiologist. Might be worth a trip to Indy and a membership.

Reactions: baileyiu

That’s why you want to be a Democrat! They wanted to pay for vision, dental and actually got something accomplished on hearing aids. Dental is so expensive and can lead to all kinds of issues if ignored. Crazy it’s not covered. I was lucky to have a good friend be my dentist and took whatever is covered, but she retired too early!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT