ADVERTISEMENT

Has Paul Toetz to Purdue been discussed?

Disappointing to see him leave and total suckage to see that it's to purdoo.

AVG
GPGSABRH2B3BHRRBISLG%BBHBPSOGDPOB%SFSHSBPOAEFLD%
Total.28143431672847180124.407166435.36500139929.936

He did play. And I can't imagine a scenario where he wouldn't have next year. He's a quality player.
So what would be the reason? Wants to play a differnt position? Wants to major in Ag or engineering?

There's more to it than just playing time and I sure wish I knew what his thought process was in leaving the program for one that finished next to last in the B1G and ten games under .500. He's from the Milwaukee area, so I wonder if he has a connection to someone on the Purdue staff or team. After the draft and some surprising names in the portal, this team is going to be one big question mark going into next season, especially with the pitching staff. Will the players transferring in have a major impact on the team? Will any of our freshman players have an impact in their first year? Could we be heading for our first sub .500 season in quite awhile? Who knows.

• Sad
Reactions: mk23
There's more to it than just playing time and I sure wish I knew what his thought process was in leaving the program for one that finished next to last in the B1G and ten games under .500. He's from the Milwaukee area, so I wonder if he has a connection to someone on the Purdue staff or team. After the draft and some surprising names in the portal, this team is going to be one big question mark going into next season, especially with the pitching staff. Will the players transferring in have a major impact on the team? Will any of our freshman players have an impact in their first year? Could we be heading for our first sub .500 season in quite awhile? Who knows.
Toetz is a talented player who figured to be one of the sure starters. He will help Purdue but it would certainly seem he would have had opportunities at better programs.

While I believe IU can start with everyday players* and pitchers who have experience, this would appear to be a year where an upper level conference finish and a shot at the post season would need a few freshmen to crack the line-up. I hope Gilbert and Mathison start the year platooning at DH and Hayden gets some innings early that and merits a starter role. The infield back ups except for Yoho and Skrine are freshmen. Coach Mercer has seemed reluctant to use freshmen especially early. i believe this year is a year for getting their feet wet.

C Ashley, Serruto.
1B Fougerousse
2B Trinkle
SS Glasser
3B Rowe
OF/DH Vecrumba, Colopy, Jesse,
Whalen, Murrison, Ashley
Starters Modugno, Brehmer, Tucker, Bothwell, Sharp, Franklin, ?Perkins
Relief Manous, Scott, Walker, Platt, ?Perkins

Reactions: ptrich
Toetz is a talented player who figured to be one of the sure starters. He will help Purdue but it would certainly seem he would have had opportunities at better programs.

While I believe IU can start with everyday players* and pitchers who have experience, this would appear to be a year where an upper level conference finish and a shot at the post season would need a few freshmen to crack the line-up. I hope Gilbert and Mathison start the year platooning at DH and Hayden gets some innings early that and merits a starter role. The infield back ups except for Yoho and Skrine are freshmen. Coach Mercer has seemed reluctant to use freshmen especially early. i believe this year is a year for getting their feet wet.

C Ashley, Serruto.
1B Fougerousse
2B Trinkle
SS Glasser
3B Rowe
OF/DH Vecrumba, Colopy, Jesse,
Whalen, Murrison, Ashley
Starters Modugno, Brehmer, Tucker, Bothwell, Sharp, Franklin, ?Perkins
Relief Manous, Scott, Walker, Platt, ?Perkins
Trinkle left before last season.

Trinkle left before last season.
I’ve been wrong before, but I think he is back. He was a solid player in ‘20, was at St. Leo in FL last year & Grand Park this summer.
Toetz isn’t the only talent we lost early, but the cupboard isn’t empty.

I’ve been wrong before, but I think he is back. He was a solid player in ‘20, was at St. Leo in FL last year & Grand Park this summer.
Toetz isn’t the only talent we lost early, but the cupboard isn’t empty.
Ah, I didn’t consider that.

either way if he’s in the lineup it might be a long year.

Ah, I didn’t consider that.

either way if he’s in the lineup it might be a long year.
It may be a long year and I would have preferred Toetz‘s talents to any of the apparent 2B options (assuming Ashley is needed elsewhere). However, in the 2020 short season Trinkle hit .280 & had 0 errors in 10 games and I would take something approaching those #s from 2B and focus my worry on pitching and catcher. It will be interesting to see how the freshman infielders develop this fall & next season.

Reactions: Bligedy
It may be a long year and I would have preferred Toetz‘s talents to any of the apparent 2B options (assuming Ashley is needed elsewhere). However, in the 2020 short season Trinkle hit .280 & had 0 errors in 10 games and I would take something approaching those #s from 2B and focus my worry on pitching and catcher. It will be interesting to see how the freshman infielders develop this fall & next season.
At one point I had seen that Trinkle had transferred. Is he for sure with the program now?

At one point I had seen that Trinkle had transferred. Is he for sure with the program now?
I believed that Trinkle had transferred back to IU this fall. I also believed that he, Ashley, Manous, & Scott had eligibility remaining and could/would come back for 2021. None of these guys appeared in fall ball and so I now believe I was quite wrong.

FWIW, and I have just documented my lack of inside information, I believe Toetz has a relative in the Purdue baseball support staff. I also believe there were strains inside IU baseball last Spring. I do know I was strained when Toetz did not play at all, including a pinch hitting opportunity with the game on the line, in the Illinois make-up game.

• Wow
Reactions: mk23
Toetz was as reliable a hitter as we had. Sucks big time he's north.

I believed that Trinkle had transferred back to IU this fall. I also believed that he, Ashley, Manous, & Scott had eligibility remaining and could/would come back for 2021. None of these guys appeared in fall ball and so I now believe I was quite wrong.

FWIW, and I have just documented my lack of inside information, I believe Toetz has a relative in the Purdue baseball support staff. I also believe there were strains inside IU baseball last Spring. I do know I was strained when Toetz did not play at all, including a pinch hitting opportunity with the game on the line, in the Illinois make-up game.
I just found out today that Toetz has a sister that is an academic advisor to the PU athletic dept. and that is the connection. He was a starter for IU and he led the B1G in doubles last season, so it was puzzling at first as to why he would transfer to our archrival and that is why or at least the major reason.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 76-1 and mk30
Looks pretty prophetic at this point.

While enjoying a 10-0 lead against minny I took a moment to look up Paul Toetz stats this year with Purdue. Batting avg .278 to .281 last year 13 2B this year last year 18 but more rbi 43 v 24 last year (more games this year). My gut on his departure had to do with fielding as I recall he made quite few errors (9 with .936 last year). He’s improved some but still not great (7 errors and .955). It seems possible coaches told him he was faced with DH role and that might have been a big reason.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT