ADVERTISEMENT

Has An Instant Change In Thinking On The Whole NIL Thing Been Forced?

Speaking of "off the cuff" is that what your comments comparing Woodson's recruiting to Calipary? You were slobering all over Ordy when you made them...did you mean them?
I object to your characterization. You are clearly mistaken.

Last edited:
i think most everybody here is missing the mark, and being quite naive.

while NIL absolutely will bring in some money to the kids, the bigger money won't be in NIL, NIL will just be the pretext that allows for where the real money will be.

do people actually think $100 handshakes were really about boosters who really liked to have their hand shaken?

i have zero doubt the bigger money will be in "recruiting", regardless of how it's laundered.

that said, while initially i presumed the recruiting money impact would be more individually based, the Miami MMA Gym thing instantly changed my thinking on that, and i'll assume had the same impact on most major school athletic depts.

the ones it didn't, will come around by next wk.

with NIL, you're only selling pie in the sky, but nothing tangible and nothing guaranteed.

a "signing bonus", disguised however, is a different matter though.

but again, while initially i thought the "pay to come here" thing would be more individual based, the Miami thing instantly changed my mind on that.

were i at IU's ath dept, i'd be putting together a team as of yesterday to contact businesses, (stating with Btown's hospitality industry), the secondary ticket market scalpers, boosters, organizations, Fred's little black book, whatever, to put together packaged full roster bundles everyone on the team will get, even walk ons, that can be offered to all recruits, that isn't pie in the sky, but almost guaranteed money that a kid and his family can count on, rather than just hope for..

i think most everybody here is missing the mark, and being quite naive.

while NIL absolutely will bring in some money to the kids, the bigger money won't be in NIL, NIL will just be the pretext that allows for where the real money will be.

do people actually think $100 handshakes were really about boosters who really liked to have their hand shaken?

i have zero doubt the bigger money will be in "recruiting", regardless of how it's laundered.

that said, while initially i presumed the recruiting money impact would be more individually based, the Miami MMA Gym thing instantly changed my thinking on that, and i'll assume had the same impact on most major school athletic depts.

the ones it didn't, will come around by next wk.

with NIL, you're only selling pie in the sky, but nothing tangible and nothing guaranteed.

a "signing bonus", disguised however, is a different matter though.

but again, while initially i thought the "pay to come here" thing would be more individual based, the Miami thing instantly changed my mind on that.

were i at IU's ath dept, i'd be putting together a team as of yesterday to contact businesses, (stating with Btown's hospitality industry), the secondary ticket market scalpers, boosters, organizations, Fred's little black book, whatever, to put together packaged full roster bundles everyone on the team will get, even walk ons, that can be offered to all recruits, that isn't pie in the sky, but almost guaranteed money that a kid and his family can count on, rather than just hope for..
Did you just copy and paste your post from an hour ago?

Last post there was a slobbering response to Ordy.

Your apology accepted
In view of IU fans’ negative characterization of other schools’ roster management, using the transfer wire to desperately fill your roster to IU’s degree is unIU and arguably worse than accepting OADs. It’s comparable to an army of mercenaries.

Speaking only for myself, I’d be wary about backing an army of mercenaries. Until recently, many IU fans would have recoiled at the idea. Never say never, I suppose.

Time will tell whether this model will be sustainable.

In view of IU fans’ negative characterization of other schools’ roster management, using the transfer wire to desperately fill your roster to IU’s degree is unIU and arguably worse than accepting OADs. It’s comparable to an army of mercenaries.

Speaking only for myself, I’d be wary about backing an army of mercenaries. Until recently, many IU fans would have recoiled at the idea. Never say never, I suppose.

So you have moved from denying you said it to somehow twisting it into something you can justify saying.

Sorry, I understand your bias and need to push IU down to create self-esteem, but using the portal during a coaching change is a long long way from a deliberate long-term strategy of OAD mercenaries.

Try harder.

So you have moved from denying you said it to somehow twisting it into something you can justify saying.

Sorry, I understand your bias and need to push IU down to create self-esteem, but using the portal during a coaching change is a long long way from a deliberate long-term strategy of OAD mercenaries.

Try harder.
I had no clear recollection. Your obsessive fascination and ultimate reposting refreshed it. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo

Try harder.
When transfers only go one way for a team, the attitude is understandable.

The question isn't "how much is he making as a role player in today's NBA?"

The question is "how much would he have made as a star at IU?".

That's why a school's fanbase size and engagement are such a big deal.
So he had all this value one day and as soon as he declared for the draft he lost it all? Seems about right.

Cody would have made a ton if he was able to profit off NIL while at IU. Of course IU fans aren’t going to continue to support players with NIL post IU. Again, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Specifically who would’ve paid him? And for what?

Someone might have paid him a lot to come to IU but he had very little value in marketing, memorabilia, etc. This is all just going to become a recruiting scheme.

Most of the players are going to see very little from this. It's all going to be soaked up by agents, promoters, and marketing middlemen. You think TJD is going to be sitting in his apartment, printing photos of himself, autographing them, stuffing envelopes and sending them to fans, receiving the payments in his Venmo? No, some marketing company is going to do it, and he'll see pennies on the dollar after they take their cut.

It will be the same story as the music industry, where middlemen suck up all the money and the performers (other than a few real superstars) barely see any of it. These are 17-22 year olds, not sophisticated in looking out for themselves in this kind of stuff.
Who is going to pay for TJD’s autograph? It’s one thing to stand in line with your kid to try to meet him and get an autograph that way. It’s another thing to go online and pay $20 to get something in the mail. There will be very, very, very, very few people willing to pay for that.

Someone might have paid him a lot to come to IU but he had very little value in marketing, memorabilia, etc. This is all just going to become a recruiting scheme.
The fans? You don’t think there are fans that would purchase and autographed picture of players on the team?

You should probably look up what an Instagram influencer is and how people become Instagram influencers. It’s clear you don’t understand the market.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Cody would have made a ton if he was able to profit off NIL while at IU. Of course IU fans aren’t going to continue to support players with NIL post IU. Again, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
I think he parents did for him. Are they still running those camps in the names of their children?

Who is going to pay for TJD’s autograph? It’s one thing to stand in line with your kid to try to meet him and get an autograph that way. It’s another thing to go online and pay $20 to get something in the mail. There will be very, very, very, very few people willing to pay for that.
Agin, showing your ignorance.

Are you an idiot? Cody would have been more sought after than anyone but maybe andrew luck in the state of Indiana to do commercials.

I think it may well change a lot of guys minds about staying that aren't sure fire super stars, look at this years draft pull outs. If you are doing well in college but not really NBA material it makes it much more risky to forgo college years. One example and he didnt leave but Imagine Steve Alford's IU marketability vs NBA if he had decided to go pro after his Jr year? Damon Bailey the same way . Jay Edwards wasn't likely as marketable but if he had been pulling in a lot he for sure would've been better off staying. Not sure he had quite the personality to do as well but he wouldve had takers

Are you an idiot? Cody would have been more sought after than anyone but maybe andrew luck in the state of Indiana to do commercials.
But he wasn’t the day he turned pro? Did all IU fans get amnesia and forget who he was?

The fans? You don’t think there are fans that would purchase and autographed picture of players on the team?

You should probably look up what an Instagram influencer is and how people become Instagram influencers. It’s clear you don’t understand the market.
There are very few. Why didn’t he do it the day he turned pro? Fans no longer cared about him?

There are very few. Why didn’t he do it the day he turned pro? Fans no longer cared about him?
100% fans stop caring about IU players in that way the second they aren’t on the team. Romeo did make quick $$ selling tshirts the moment the season ended.

You’ve Proven you don’t understand the market. Since you are big on going back and bringing up old posts, I’ve book marked this conversation to throw in your face when we have multiple guys making 6 figures and a couple pushing 7 figures.

But he wasn’t the day he turned pro? Did all IU fans get amnesia and forget who he was?
Why I’m the hell would Indiana fans advertise with Cody in Carolina? You realize local marketing exists right? Local and national? Have you seen dumb commercials with colts players or pacers players in Carolina? In Indiana, when we were #1 in the country, Cody would have been every companies go to athlete over all pacers and colts except maybe Luck. Get it?

Why I’m the hell would Indiana fans advertise with Cody in Carolina? You realize local marketing exists right? Local and national? Have you seen dumb commercials with colts players or pacers players in Carolina? In Indiana, when we were #1 in the country, Cody would have been every companies go to athlete over all pacers and colts except maybe Luck. Get it?
Cody is a player that would have appealed to a broad demo. Some of these guys will be good influencers for young demos. KL appears to be a fine young man and a good player but I doubt he will influence where I buy my next car. I might try those cookies though...I had never heard of that bakery.

Cody is a player that would have appealed to a broad demo. Some of these guys will be good influencers for young demos. KL appears to be a fine young man and a good player but I doubt he will influence where I buy my next car. I might try those cookies though...I had never heard of that bakery.
Their cookies are delicious.

broilees have taken "mercenaries" far more often than IU has.

The transfer portal will be used completely differently now than it has in the past. It used to be 1 year rentals for a transfer player, and now it’s far more likely a transfer plays multiple seasons at the new school with the new rules.

Johnson, Kopp, and Stewart can all play multiple years at IU.

I just can’t believe how dumb some of these takes are. Obviously PU and the regular trolls are undervaluing these rules changes. The transfer portal isn’t the same as a grad transfer. The NIL isn’t the same as pay for play or school marketing. It’s a whole new universe for the top followed schools and players. The transfer portal will work hand in hand with nil value too. Limited spots at top followed schools. It will be underperforming blue bloods who will benefit the most. I’m just going to say it. These rules where Taylor made for a school like IU. Although accidentally.

I just can’t believe how dumb some of these takes are. Obviously PU and the regular trolls are undervaluing these rules changes. The transfer portal isn’t the same as a grad transfer. The NIL isn’t the same as pay for play or school marketing. It’s a whole new universe for the top followed schools and players. The transfer portal will work hand in hand with nil value too. Limited spots at top followed schools. It will be underperforming blue bloods who will benefit the most. I’m just going to say it. These rules where Taylor made for a school like IU. Although accidentally.

"The transfer portal isn’t the same as a grad transfer. The NIL isn’t the same as pay for play or school marketing".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

effectively, the portal and grad transfer are now one in the same as i see it.

and while the NIL can differ from being "pay for play", it can also effectively be the same.

whether a player gets more from the NIL from those not directly or indirectly representing the school/staff/administration, or those totally independent of the school, is where the line is drawn between whether it's effectively pay for play or not.

while not always the case, i think in most instances a player will be worth more to the school/staff/administration itself, than to entities not directly or indirectly representing the school.

thus imo, more $ will be made under NIL for "pay to play", than for actual endorsing totally disconnected from PTP.

i could be wrong though, but doubt it, as again, i think the players' greatest worth will be to the schools themselves, and the coaching and administrative staffs themselves, vs their worth to other entities..

Its already a mess..And I was for it.
I'd rather seen a set amount ..Every player gets three grand a semester or something like that..If it stays like this..Forget about small schools or even small university towns like Btown.
It'll be..U.C.L.A..U.S.C..Miami ..Ga Tech. etc..Universities that are in large cities flush with cash..They'll corner the market with the 5☆ football & basketball player's..Give it a couple year's..Its coming ..imo
They already received $700 a month stipends before NIL. Maybe try reading something before blowing off on things you know nothing about?

They already received $700 a month stipends before NIL. Maybe try reading something before blowing off on things you know nothing about?

that has absolutely zero to do with what he said, and nowhere did he say they didn't already get something..

People in Indiana didn’t forget who he was the day he declared pro. Indiana companies would’ve used him if they thought he had value. The value he brings is on the basketball court, not off it.

People in Indiana didn’t forget who he was the day he declared pro. Indiana companies would’ve used him if they thought he had value. The value he brings is on the basketball court, not off it.
🤦🏻 He’s not in Indiana anymore. It’s stupid to bring him from Charlotte. If he was a pacer that would be different.

Like Victor mentioned. Remember that guy named Vic, Remember when he was a Pacer? Remember when he got a ton of commercials while a pacer??? Think that had anything to do with him being a player at IU?

I'll be happy to take that bet. You are delusional.
Lol why do you say that? There is also no way to prove it as it’s unlikely they will post NIL $ publicly. I think you are pretty naive if you don’t think TJD will be earning that type of money.

Lol why do you say that? There is also no way to prove it as it’s unlikely they will post NIL $ publicly. I think you are pretty naive if you don’t think TJD will be earning that type of money.
Not in one year, unless we go to the Final Four or something like that.

You realize UNC put Dawson Garcia’s NIL valuation at $1 million for this coming year, right? He won’t even be their star player.
No one really knows unless they've already got sponsors lined up. Otherwise, they just pulled that number out of their ass.

They do already have sponsors lined up. So does IU.
If you say so. I didn't think the schools were allowed to be involved in the actual negotiation and establishment of the business relationships between the players and the third party sponsors. But I don't claim to know much, and this is going to be all over the map for a while. I don't think anyone really has a good handle on what can (or should) be allowed.

If you say so. I didn't think the schools were allowed to be involved in the actual negotiation and establishment of the business relationships between the players and the third party sponsors. But I don't claim to know much, and this is going to be all over the map for a while. I don't think anyone really has a good handle on what can (or should) be allowed.
The schools can and have negotiated sponsor deals indirectly. It is not legal for them to do directly, but that’s very easy to get around.

ADVERTISEMENT