ADVERTISEMENT

Has An Instant Change In Thinking On The Whole NIL Thing Been Forced?

I will confirm next week, but I read somewhere that it would be public information. Not sure if all professional athletes deals with sponsors are public info, but many are.
Could be. I just don't see how a private contract between me and another party is necessarily going to be made public.

How much money do you think Cody Zeller has made from all these marketing opportunities since he turned pro? He’s probably the most popular IU athlete in 20 years. How many commercials is he on? How many Tweets is he sending out for random products?

This is a recruiting scheme more than it is true marketing value. Marketing isn’t just a “write off” it’s an expense. Any time I hear someone who’s never owned a business use the term “write off” they clearly show they have no idea what they’re talking about.

The players who have true value are Zion, Manziel, Burrow, Mayfield, etc. 1 in 5,000.
I can’t wait for your moms basement to flood again so we get feepee3 after a long break.

How much money do you think Cody Zeller has made from all these marketing opportunities since he turned pro? He’s probably the most popular IU athlete in 20 years. How many commercials is he on? How many Tweets is he sending out for random products?

This is a recruiting scheme more than it is true marketing value. Marketing isn’t just a “write off” it’s an expense. Any time I hear someone who’s never owned a business use the term “write off” they clearly show they have no idea what they’re talking about.

The players who have true value are Zion, Manziel, Burrow, Mayfield, etc. 1 in 5,000.
The question isn't "how much is he making as a role player in today's NBA?"

The question is "how much would he have made as a star at IU?".

That's why a school's fanbase size and engagement are such a big deal.

These are the facts most are missing. The sponsors will be mostly mom and pop stuff. Local businesses just trying to get a piece. I mean don’t get me wrong their will be some insane sponsorships/endorsements to some.

LOL. Do you know who you’re talking to? The guy spent his entire adult life in sports media and marketing. He might be wrong, but he’s got a better handle than most on the subject.
A PU guy that has no idea what NIL means. Did you read his ridiculous post about endowments and football stadium capacity?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yours? We handing out business cards or is this a job interview? Is he some kin to you? This is an opinion board not who has the biggest and best.
No, he’s not “kin”, hillbilly. Des made a career out of sports media and marketing. His word carries some weight.

No, he’s not “kin”, hillbilly. Des made a career out of sports media and marketing. His word carries some weight.
So now we are judging people on diction and credentials? Got it. I’m not sure how he made a living with that take. I’ll just go back to laughing at you and your bromance.

Cody would have made a ton if he was able to profit off NIL while at IU. Of course IU fans aren’t going to continue to support players with NIL post IU. Again, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Info in here isn't gospel, but it gives you some general thoughts on the value of social media followers in this model.

A PU guy that has no idea what NIL means. Did you read his ridiculous post about endowments and football stadium capacity?
To be fair...while Des' examples here are not the material NIL sucess is made of in 2021, he has a strong well connected history in this league and the NCAA in general. I respect him.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Most of the players are going to see very little from this. It's all going to be soaked up by agents, promoters, and marketing middlemen. You think TJD is going to be sitting in his apartment, printing photos of himself, autographing them, stuffing envelopes and sending them to fans, receiving the payments in his Venmo? No, some marketing company is going to do it, and he'll see pennies on the dollar after they take their cut.

It will be the same story as the music industry, where middlemen suck up all the money and the performers (other than a few real superstars) barely see any of it. These are 17-22 year olds, not sophisticated in looking out for themselves in this kind of stuff.

To be fair...while Des' examples here are not the material NIL sucess is made of in 2021, he has a strong well connected history in this league and the NCAA in general. I respect him.
They are terrible. Sorry if it hurt feelings but damn those examples where off the cuff. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
Most of the players are going to see very little from this. It's all going to be soaked up by agents, promoters, and marketing middlemen. You think TJD is going to be sitting in his apartment, printing photos of himself, autographing them, stuffing envelopes and sending them to fans, receiving the payments in his Venmo? No, some marketing company is going to do it, and he'll see pennies on the dollar after they take their cut.

It will be the same story as the music industry, where middlemen suck up all the money and the performers (other than a few real superstars) barely see any of it. These are 17-22 year olds, not sophisticated in looking out for themselves in this kind of stuff.
No, but he will sit in his apartment and load up Hootsuite with all the sponsored tweets for the week with the content from the sponsor's content calendar.

No, but he will sit in his apartment and load up Hootsuite with all the sponsored tweets for the week with the content from the sponsor's content calendar.
Well maybe so. I'm an old fart and have never sent nor read a tweet in my life, so don't understand why they would have any value. I still think it remains to be proven that the kids will end up with very much money as opposed to all the grifters who will be crawling out of the woodwork to siphon off all the profit.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Well maybe so. I'm an old fart and have never sent nor read a tweet in my life, so don't understand why they would have any value. I still think it remains to be proven that the kids will end up with very much money as opposed to all the grifters who will be crawling out of the woodwork to siphon off all the profit.
Think of them as commercials. Advertisers pay for their commercials to reach a certain type of audience and the more people that see the commercial, the more they're willing to pay the kid. If a player has followers, advertisers will pay them for every tweet that's seen and at an even higher rate if people click on the links in a tweet.

There are a few teenagers making millions from people who watch them play video games. It's a crazy marketplace in social media advertising.

Oh, sorry. I didn’t understand your use of the phrase.
Speaking of "off the cuff" is that what your comments comparing Woodson's recruiting to Calipary? You were slobering all over Ordy when you made them...did you mean them?

Think of them as commercials. Advertisers pay for their commercials to reach a certain type of audience and the more people that see the commercial, the more they're willing to pay the kid. If a player has followers, advertisers will pay them for every tweet that's seen and at an even higher rate if people click on the links in a tweet.

There are a few teenagers making millions from people who watch them play video games. It's a crazy marketplace in social media advertising.

I am trying to decide if I want to pay them to do an initial tweet, or secure a partnership for the season for multiple posts videos etc.

Either way, just write it off.

It actually is a pretty no brainer for me and what I do. Renewable energy is booming in the midwest, and landowners across the state are getting letters from solar companies offering to lease or purchase their land. I am an expert at these negotiations, and for a small commission, not unlike a Realitor, I can get them a very advantageous deal.

Not to tune my own horn (oh who are we kidding I love doin that) but 2.5% is a steal for my services in this crazy new world that is solar energy. The last deal I did (best deal ever), will be worth the an extra 3-4 million for the landowner over the course of the 35 year project if constructed.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
It actually is a pretty no brainer for me and what I do. Renewable energy is booming in the midwest, and landowners across the state are getting letters from solar companies offering to lease or purchase their land. I am an expert at these negotiations, and for a small commission, not unlike a Realitor, I can get them a very advantageous deal.

Not to tune my own horn (oh who are we kidding I love doin that) but 2.5% is a steal for my services in this crazy new world that is solar energy. The last deal I did (best deal ever), will be worth the an extra 3-4 million for the landowner over the course of the 35 year project if constructed.
I have family that are opening solar farms in Henry County. Huge $$$ deals like you said.

i think most everybody here is missing the mark, and being quite naive.

while NIL absolutely will bring in some money to the kids, the bigger money won't be in NIL, NIL will just be the pretext that allows for where the real money will be.

do people actually think $100 handshakes were really about boosters who really liked to have their hand shaken?

i have zero doubt the bigger money will be in "recruiting", regardless of how it's laundered.

that said, while initially i presumed the recruiting money impact would be more individually based, the Miami MMA Gym thing instantly changed my thinking on that, and i'll assume had the same impact on most major school athletic depts.

the ones it didn't, will come around by next wk.

with NIL, you're only selling pie in the sky, but nothing tangible and nothing guaranteed.

a "signing bonus", disguised however, is a different matter though.

but again, while initially i thought the "pay to come here" thing would be more individual based, the Miami thing instantly changed my mind on that.

were i at IU's ath dept, i'd be putting together a team as of yesterday to contact businesses, (stating with Btown's hospitality industry), the secondary ticket market scalpers, boosters, organizations, Fred's little black book, whatever, to put together packaged full roster bundles everyone on the team will get, even walk ons, that can be offered to all recruits, that isn't pie in the sky, but almost guaranteed money that a kid and his family can count on, rather than just hope for..

Reactions: birdforbogey
Yes. Farmers that are leasing their lands to solar companies.
Have they signed leases yet? If not this is exactly what I am talking about, I get one guy like you to read a tweet and call me......

So anyways, if any of them or neighbors have not signed the lease yet, I need to talk to them. I can get them more money than they are getting, guaranteed.

Have they signed leases yet? If not this is exactly what I am talking about, I get one guy like you to read a tweet and call me......

So anyways, if any of them or neighbors have not signed the lease yet, I need to talk to them. I can get them more money than they are getting, guaranteed.
They have signed leases. For some reason Henry County County Counsel is fighting it, but it will go through.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
They have signed leases. For some reason Henry County County Counsel is fighting it, but it will go through.
Seeing Counties across the state fight them. Big Change, people don't like change, thousands of acres of farmland going to solar energy. Jealousy, greed, lots goes into it....

Anyways, NIL is pretty cool and guys like me and other local insurance agents for example could really benefit from a few thousand marketing budget. Not gonna have to break the bank here. TJD maybe, but the other guys are playing for a team that hasn't made the tourney since Crean, think about that..... I kinda wanna lock them up now and get a good value on my deal.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
Seeing Counties across the state fight them. Big Change, people don't like change, thousands of acres of farmland going to solar energy. Jealousy, greed, lots goes into it....

Anyways, NIL is pretty cool and guys like me and other local insurance agents for example could really benefit from a few thousand marketing budget. Not gonna have to break the bank here. TJD maybe, but the other guys are playing for a team that hasn't made the tourney since Crean, think about that..... I kinda wanna lock them up now and get a good value on my deal.
And again, it’s also great for any business owner wanting to lower their taxable income.

i think most everybody here is missing the mark, and being quite naive.

while NIL absolutely will bring in some money to the kids, the bigger money won't be in NIL, NIL will just be the pretext that allows for where the real money will be.

do people actually think $100 handshakes were really about boosters who really liked to have their hand shaken?

i have zero doubt the bigger money will be in "recruiting", regardless of how it's laundered.

that said, while initially i presumed the recruiting money impact would be more individually based, the Miami MMA Gym thing instantly changed my thinking on that, and i'll assume had the same impact on most major school athletic depts.

the ones it didn't, will come around by next wk.

with NIL, you're only selling pie in the sky, but nothing tangible and nothing guaranteed.

a "signing bonus", disguised however, is a different matter though.

but again, while initially i thought the "pay to come here" thing would be more individual based, the Miami thing instantly changed my mind on that.

were i at IU's ath dept, i'd be putting together a team as of yesterday to contact businesses, (stating with Btown's hospitality industry), the secondary ticket market scalpers, boosters, organizations, Fred's little black book, whatever, to put together packaged full roster bundles everyone on the team will get, even walk ons, that can be offered to all recruits, that isn't pie in the sky, but almost guaranteed money that a kid and his family can count on, rather than just hope for..
I am going to be asking if they are going to be offered team wide packages, if they have to sign off on them and 100% be in agreement. I am especially intrigued about the secondary ticket market (stub hub sponsors IU). I have some skin in that as of late, and my good friend is a huge player in it. That could be a partnership like deal for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT