ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Doyel - can't even spell his own name.

Usually one has to go to yahoo sports to find such insight. Here is the article by Mr. Glass-is-half-empty.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...oyel-old-oaken-bucket-game-one-dogs/94441320/
Doyel is a first-class douche and a second-rate writer. Anyone who knows a damn thing about football understands that taking a safety in that situation was the best move a football coach could make. Dipshits like Doyel who need to insert themselves into every story they write about someone or something else are the very definition of obnoxious. Hey Gregg, if you want to write about something else you f-ing drama queen, please do. I'm pretty sure you could be replaced by Monday morning with someone more talented, someone who actually understands the game of football, and someone a whole lot less overwrought.

He was just pandering to his bosses. They may as well just change the name to the Laffy Journal and be done with it... The Star is run by a whole nest of pu fans. Drivel like his column is why I dropped my subscription with them.

Reactions: YOTHN
Fools like Gregg Doyel are partially responsible for the suppression of the fan bases of both schools.

Here is part of his article:

Late in the first quarter I was in the Memorial Stadium parking lot, looking for something else, anything else, to write about. I found a shuttle bus from the Meadowood Retirement Community in Bloomington, which sent 21 senior citizens to the game. The bus was back in the parking lot before halftime to take home anyone who didn’t want to watch the second half.

He later says that the game was unwatchable and Indiana has no legitimate promise of better times because their 6 victories came over teams with losing records. That is the depth his analysis. Poor Greg with two "g"s wishes he was covering political rallies rather than sporting events.

He tops off his lack of analysis with his screwy observation of the safety at the end of the game.

The writer believes he is "elite fan" but the reality is he is a fool. And unfortunately I can see where some of his lack of observation has rubbed off. The Indianapolis Star should be embarrassed to employ such a sports rube.

Doyel is a first-class douche and a second-rate writer. Anyone who knows a damn thing about football understands that taking a safety in that situation was the best move a football coach could make. Dipshits like Doyel who need to insert themselves into every story they write about someone or something else are the very definition of obnoxious. Hey Gregg, if you want to write about something else you f-ing drama queen, please do. I'm pretty sure you could be replaced by Monday morning with someone more talented, someone who actually understands the game of football, and someone a whole lot less overwrought.

Totally agree. Sure CKW needs to get better at his job and I would think few would argue that point but I can't understand the gloom and doom in this article and I REALLY wish I had the few minutes back that I took to read it.

Reactions: YOTHN
Actually, Doyel is a talented writer and an excellant story-teller. He is channeling the loudest, most ignorant IU pseudo-fans with this negative take. A lot of those reversible coat types are really butthurt about the Domer's fail under Kelly.

I have been back and forth on Doyel, but I can't disagree with anything he said in this piece.
His job is to sell papers and generate clicks. Easiest way to do that is to get people riled up. This thread proves he's done his job well.

I'll take issue with his insinuation that "this" is good enough for the foreseeable future. I see 6-6 as good enough for now. It was my floor; I thought we could do better by a game or maybe two over last year, but didn't think the injuries would pile up like they did or that Lagow would play like an awkward freshman. A bowl win will make us one game better than last year, so there's that, even if it does feel unsatisfactory.

Next year? Who knows? Maybe we break through, get over the hump, and finally win all the games we should and steal one -- or two -- we shouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if MTIOTF has us in the Rose Bowl. It could happen...

His job is to sell papers and generate clicks. Easiest way to do that is to get people riled up. This thread proves he's done his job well.

I'll take issue with his insinuation that "this" is good enough for the foreseeable future. I see 6-6 as good enough for now. It was my floor; I thought we could do better by a game or maybe two over last year, but didn't think the injuries would pile up like they did or that Lagow would play like an awkward freshman. A bowl win will make us one game better than last year, so there's that, even if it does feel unsatisfactory.

Next year? Who knows? Maybe we break through, get over the hump, and finally win all the games we should and steal one -- or two -- we shouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if MTIOTF has us in the Rose Bowl. It could happen...

12-0.
Rose Bowl.
Lock.

Reactions: 10yrProject
Doyel obviously thinks he is too good to be at the game yesterday, so he had to go outside and find people who feel the same way he does. Why anyone would drive three hours and fight traffic, spend gas money and $10 for parking, and then not even go inside the stadium is beyond me! If it was a student at IU or someone who lives around Bloomington I could at least understand it a little bit just to do the party atmosphere.

It reminds me of the time I went to a game at West Point in 1986. Parking is quite a ways from the stadium and you need to take a shuttle bus to the stadium. After the game concluded we went back to our car and a couple said "Oh there they are." They hadn't gone to the game and didn't even know who won, but they just saw our Indiana license plates and wanted to know if we lived anywhere close to Don Mattingly. It was the first time I had encountered someone who only did the tailgating.

I have been back and forth on Doyel, but I can't disagree with anything he said in this piece.
So the safety was cowardly? You agree with that? A play that was run in the NFL this past weekend to seal a win? And was used by the same team to seal a Super Bowl win? You agree with that?

You agree with saying we can never do any better than 6-6 based off a 2 year sample size and when we still have one more game to get another W? You agree with that?

You agree with the ridiculous praising of Purdue for being awful, but having hope? Because our first back to back bowls in 25 years aren't progress? You agree with that?

You don't think it's stupid to ignore how we actually win games now and compete with the big boys at the top and focus solely on a close rivalry game, a game that we won?

You don't think it's stupid to make up that all our fans think 6-6 is good enough forever? There seems to be an inordinate amount of people who cannot fathom the concept of being pleased with incremental progress, and yet not considering that the ultimate goal.

We should not be thumbing our noses at any bowls and it was a ridiculous, unfunny article by a guy trying way too hard to find a hot take.

The safety was definitely the right call . Especially with the fact we have had several punts blocked this year . Doyel would have been the first to criticize if they had a punt block returned for a TD. I have never liked him and his smug attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10yrProject
The safety was definitely the right call . Especially with the fact we have had several punts blocked this year . Doyel would have been the first to criticize if they had a punt block returned for a TD. I have never liked him and his smug attitude.

He's actually a good writer when he wants to be, but this column was pure Benner/Miller/Kravitz-level troll-bait to sell papers.

I do not know or have ever met Mr. Doyle. That was truly the most ill intended, personal vendetta piece of writing that I have read in a long time. Why would a professional journalist, leave at any time, a game that was going on, and be expected to properly cover it.
Kevin Wilson is a dear friend of mine and I have spoken to Zack Osterman a couple of times and he did a fair and balanced story, no apparent ax to grind. Also, why would the Editors allow this type of reporting about their flagship University, that incidentally, will be the only one in their state going to a bowl game.. Thank you for your time.

The editors in charge and overall management are a bunch of dyed in the wool pu fans...

He was looking out for his Christmas bonus.

Eugene Pulliam would roll over in his grave if he knew what has been done to a once proud newspaper.

Vote with your billfold and drop your subscription. I did!

So the safety was cowardly? You agree with that? A play that was run in the NFL this past weekend to seal a win? And was used by the same team to seal a Super Bowl win? You agree with that?

You agree with saying we can never do any better than 6-6 based off a 2 year sample size and when we still have one more game to get another W? You agree with that?

You agree with the ridiculous praising of Purdue for being awful, but having hope? Because our first back to back bowls in 25 years aren't progress? You agree with that?

You don't think it's stupid to ignore how we actually win games now and compete with the big boys at the top and focus solely on a close rivalry game, a game that we won?

You don't think it's stupid to make up that all our fans think 6-6 is good enough forever? There seems to be an inordinate amount of people who cannot fathom the concept of being pleased with incremental progress, and yet not considering that the ultimate goal.

We should not be thumbing our noses at any bowls and it was a ridiculous, unfunny article by a guy trying way too hard to find a hot take.

Well, if yer gonna put it THAT way ....

Reactions: RBB89
He's actually a good writer when he wants to be, but this column was pure Benner/Miller/Kravitz-level troll-bait to sell papers.
He completely lost credibility by criticizing the safety decision as "cowardly". What a moronic thing to say. The only possible reasons for stating that are that he is either:

a. Ignorant about the game of football, in which case his paper needs to reassign him to cover something he can comprehend.

or

b. This was a hatchet job searching for a place to cut. If this is the case, it was unprofessional and indicates intentional, premeditated bias.In either case, it was a terrible piece of journalism.

The decision to take the safety was sound football strategy. A lot of bad things can happen by deciding to punt in that situation. In fact, punting would have been irresponsible in that situation. Had it been blocked, snapped over the punter's head, or returned to set up a Purdue td to win people would have been calling for Wilson's head - and rightly so. Having Diamont run backward to the end zone and run around to drain the clock was to practically guarantee victory. To suggest that IU took a safety because it didn't have the "guts" to punt the ball is profoundly stupid.

I decided to listen to Doyal's interview yesterday by Greg Rakestraw, who was filling in on the Dakich show. The interview eventually got around to the Bucket game and Rakestraw suggested that IU's better games have been in the losing efforts. Rather than agree, Doyal said that showed the other teams playing down to IU's level (instead of being blown out as he thinks we should have been).

Yes, let's not give IU any credit whatsoever for the season in a tough division in the best conference. I'm sure Penn State played down to Michigan State's level, and Ohio State played down to Nebraska's level, and Michigan played down to the level of Rutgers. That's why those games were all so close!

No the safety in and of itself was not cowardly but honestly I'm sure everyone was scared of the possibility of a blocked punt because it's happened a lot lately. 6-6 is not good enough for me, nor you, or most people that post here. Is it good enough for the throngs in the tailgate lots? Yes. Is it good enough to earn Wilson the length of his contract? Yes. Lets not act like this year is some great improvement. This should be our 4th bowl in a row if not for losing games that should have been won. We squeeked in for the second time by barely beating a historically bad Purdue team that will probably not stay this bad. It is my opinion that Doyel was trying to say the opposite. This is not and should not be good enough. Is this is good as it gets for IU and Wilson? I think that question will be answered next season.

No the safety in and of itself was not cowardly but honestly I'm sure everyone was scared of the possibility of a blocked punt because it's happened a lot lately. 6-6 is not good enough for me, nor you, or most people that post here. Is it good enough for the throngs in the tailgate lots? Yes. Is it good enough to earn Wilson the length of his contract? Yes. Lets not act like this year is some great improvement. This should be our 4th bowl in a row if not for losing games that should have been won. We squeeked in for the second time by barely beating a historically bad Purdue team that will probably not stay this bad. It is my opinion that Doyel was trying to say the opposite. This is not and should not be good enough. Is this is good as it gets for IU and Wilson? I think that question will be answered next season.
Should be our fourth bowl in a row? The fact that you're saying that at all and that we've gotten to two should tell you something.

Do you realize how rare bowls are for IU? Those games we should've won used to be blowouts. Even when Coach Hep (RIP) was turning things around, he had losses like 63-10 to Minnesota and 52-3 to Michigan in there.

I'm with you on this one. It's not Doyel's fault that there is a general apathy around the program, which is confirmed by strolling through the parking lots during the game. And it's not his fault that the poor special teams this year made the safety the best of two bad options.

I have no idea if the Wilson era has topped out at 6 wins, but it's not unfair to wonder that after 6 seasons. It was a snarky, gloomy article, but he was obviously trying to say that things can and should be better, and that it will get better when enough people really care about it. Surprised so many people missed his point.

Should be our fourth bowl in a row? The fact that you're saying that at all and that we've gotten to two should tell you something.

Do you realize how rare bowls are for IU? Those games we should've won used to be blowouts. Even when Coach Hep (RIP) was turning things around, he had losses like 63-10 to Minnesota and 52-3 to Michigan in there.

The logic here is that IU should not have had the goal line turnover against Minnesota in 2013 or what if the defense had been able to make Navy punt the ball one freaking time? In 2014 IU was 4-8 so you have a bit more creative to get to 6-6.

The games I'm talking about are not against the top teams. I'm talking Minnesota, Bowling Green, etc. Yes we play the good teams close, but the bad teams closer. You take exception with Doyle's article yet your response proves his point. Like I said, next year we will see if this is our ceiling. I hope it's not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT