ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest of all time bracket

could spend a day disputing the seedings in this nonsense.

Cannot imagine Larry Bird's numbers if he played with the 3pt shot.
Or Pistol Pete. Pete might have a 50 ppg career average.

Too many Dukies for my liking.

Bill Russell had a 20-20-20 triple double in the title game. Wow.

could spend a day disputing the seedings in this nonsense.

Cannot imagine Larry Bird's numbers if he played with the 3pt shot.
Or Pistol Pete. Pete might have a 50 ppg career average.

Too many Dukies for my liking.

Bill Russell had a 20-20-20 triple double in the title game. Wow.
Gosh I so wish the seniors wouldn't have ran Bird out of IU..... (So I've read)....

It wasn’t the seniors.
I read that hazing the freshmen was big back then and that he also didn't like the big campus.... Not saying that I'm right, just read it back a while ago... Also, I read he had no probs with RMK... I'd love to know more if you have the story, as I am a huge Bird fan....

I read that hazing the freshmen was big back then and that he also didn't like the big campus.... Not saying that I'm right, just read it back a while ago... Also, I read he had no probs with RMK... I'd love to know more if you have the story, as I am a huge Bird fan....
His biggest antagonist, by far, was Benson. He was never comfortable being there and wasn’t ready academically, either.

His biggest antagonist, by far, was Benson. He was never comfortable being there and wasn’t ready academically, either.
Yes... I remember reading now that Benson was the instigator..... You are correct sir!

As I was looking at this, it struck me how many of these players had their careers ended by IU IIRC

Jordan
O’Neal
Sampson
Williams
Robinson

Reactions: Rasco123
Did you ever see Bill Walton or Lou Alcindor play? Or seen tapes of Wilt? Christian Laettner is not in these guy’s league.

Different times, different game. Those guys were dominant & no doubt are on the list. Laettner was the best player on a team that went to 3 straight final games, 4 straight final fours. His stats aren’t as gaudy, but he was a great all around player. Guess they quit making all time greats in the 50’s lol...

Different times, different game. Those guys were dominant & no doubt are on the list. Laettner was the best player on a team that went to 3 straight final games, 4 straight final fours. His stats aren’t as gaudy, but he was a great all around player. Guess they quit making all time greats in the 50’s lol...
Coincidentally, I just got back from joining a former neighbor who is a big basketball fan to watch the rebroadcast of the epic Duke-Kentucky game. It was a great hard fought game, and although I was never a Laettner fan at the time when it was stylish to "hate Laettner" I now take my hat off to him.

a freshman George Mcginnis would have eaten Sr Laettner for lunch.

Laettner was a good player, no doubt...but much of his legend is owed to the team he played for.

You’d probably take Wilt over Bill Russell, Marino over Unitas, etc. too. Which is fine, just opinions. You take the stats, I’ll take the winners...

Are they playing alone or with teammates?
that question alone proves my point. Laettner was very good...but played on a team full of 5 stars. Even had one sitting on the bench as his back up (Parks).

I still feel he should have been tossed from the Kentucky game after the chest stomp. Which means...he's not on the court to hit 'the shot'. Which means IU doesn't face Duke the following weekend, and then gets screwed by the whistles.....but that's just IMO.

You’d probably take Wilt over Bill Russell, Marino over Unitas, etc. too. Which is fine, just opinions. You take the stats, I’ll take the winners...
Wilt over Russell? actually i view that as a push. Marino? Nope. Unitas? Damn...I'm not quite THAT old. I was a Terry Bradshaw fan. Hillbilly all the way, but 4 rings on his hand. And...in large part...because he played on an unstoppable team. Which goes back to my original point.

Reactions: Falky22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT