ADVERTISEMENT

Great video feature with Don Fischer...

Great video and memories. Love Don Fischer. Deserves to be immortalized by a statue when all is said and done. Wonderful example of class & sportsmanship and IU.

Reactions: 76-1
Fish is the Best!

(I was part of that crowd that stayed thru wind and the rain and made Bo whine about too much "crowd noise". Still chuckling warmly about that...;)

That was how a Home Crowd is supposed to operate: we hung in there thru the wind and the rain, weather be damned, and gave our Team a real Home Field Advantage.

It was great to be a part of!

I only hope that someday soon the lightbulb will turn on in some of our current fans heads that They can make a difference if they actually support the Team throughout an entire game and don't bug out and go drinking at the slightest hint of adversity.)

Fish is the Best!

(I was part of that crowd that stayed thru wind and the rain and made Bo whine about too much "crowd noise". Still chuckling warmly about that...;)

That was how a Home Crowd is supposed to operate: we hung in there thru the wind and the rain, weather be damned, and gave our Team a real Home Field Advantage.

It was great to be a part of!

I only hope that someday soon the lightbulb will turn on in some of our current fans heads that They can make a difference if they actually support the Team throughout an entire game and don't bug out and go drinking at the slightest hint of adversity.)
Agree. It's literally gotten to the point where a noticeable amount of people will leave if we get down 7-0.

Reactions: 76-1 and muubell
Agree. It's literally gotten to the point where a noticeable amount of people will leave if we get down 7-0.
This is tough. I've noticed the same thing. Get down early, at all, and people start rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again". I've been guilty of it. You get beaten down for so long and the fans don't have a ton to be confident about. Even these last few years under Wilson, we've had a great offense, but, more often than not, couldn't stop anyone. Really no track record of winning these big games. The perfect example is the Michigan game from two years ago. Seemingly having the game in our grasp, then just being unable to ultimately make the plays to win. I remember my uncle, years ago when Mallory was the coach, had an IU bumper sticker saying "Expect to Win" (which I believe was one of the marketing slogans during the Mallory years). It's a tough hill to climb. I truly don't think that anything will really change in the fanbase until we finally get one of these games against one of the big boys, that we seem to play so competitively. After having basically two decades without any true success, it's a lot to ask fans to believe in the product.

I've talked to friends about IU football and attendance, etc. Everybody always laments the fact that we don't have great crowds, and I always take the position that IU football has some of the best, most loyal fans in college football. The fact that we have consistently had at least 35,000 fans, without sometimes having much hope for success, in a relatively small town that is not particularly easy to get to, is quite impressive.

Reactions: RBB89
This is tough. I've noticed the same thing. Get down early, at all, and people start rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again". I've been guilty of it. You get beaten down for so long and the fans don't have a ton to be confident about. Even these last few years under Wilson, we've had a great offense, but, more often than not, couldn't stop anyone. Really no track record of winning these big games. The perfect example is the Michigan game from two years ago. Seemingly having the game in our grasp, then just being unable to ultimately make the plays to win. I remember my uncle, years ago when Mallory was the coach, had an IU bumper sticker saying "Expect to Win" (which I believe was one of the marketing slogans during the Mallory years). It's a tough hill to climb. I truly don't think that anything will really change in the fanbase until we finally get one of these games against one of the big boys, that we seem to play so competitively. After having basically two decades without any true success, it's a lot to ask fans to believe in the product.

I've talked to friends about IU football and attendance, etc. Everybody always laments the fact that we don't have great crowds, and I always take the position that IU football has some of the best, most loyal fans in college football. The fact that we have consistently had at least 35,000 fans, without sometimes having much hope for success, in a relatively small town that is not particularly easy to get to, is quite impressive.
Totally agree with all of that. I just think a lot of fans have taken it to an absurd level. I mean I really wasn't exaggerating with the 7-0 thing. I do on some level understand the "here we go again" mentality, but why even bother to show up if you're going to flake out that early on? I mean the expectation is to lead for all 60 minutes every game?

Reactions: Hoosier71
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT