ADVERTISEMENT

GoT: New Chapter from Winds of Winter released

He's obviously a fake or the show would have picked up his story. If he had a major part, he would be on the show.
I tend to agree with you on the fake issue. But if he is a fake, and exists in the book solely as a distraction, without a major role to play in the plot, that is, well, very bad writing. So I expect GRRM to do something with him. But it better be damn worthwhile to justify the character's existence. Tyrion could have made it to Meereen without any of that.

I tend to agree with you on the fake issue. But if he is a fake, and exists in the book solely as a distraction, without a major role to play in the plot, that is, well, very bad writing. So I expect GRRM to do something with him. But it better be damn worthwhile to justify the character's existence. Tyrion could have made it to Meereen without any of that.
He needed to fill five years of space and a few banks accounts..

Question: did you ever read Robert Jordan?

I did not.
He was the hot fantasy writer before Martin, did something similar, just kept adding books and words. One page descriptions of dresses. Adding sub characters that did nothing .. Not near as many plots and more black and white on what is evil. but he just kept adding crap until he died. It's trash reading much like Martin, not as well done but it's almost as interesting. I think it would have made a decent TV show.

He was the hot fantasy writer before Martin, did something similar, just kept adding books and words. One page descriptions of dresses. Adding sub characters that did nothing .. Not near as many plots and more black and white on what is evil. but he just kept adding crap until he died. It's trash reading much like Martin, not as well done but it's almost as interesting. I think it would have made a decent TV show.
Truth is, with the exception of JRRT, some Brooks, Rowling, and now Martin, when it comes to speculative fiction, I've always enjoyed sci-fi more. Not because I don't like fantasy. I do. I just think the best writers tended to be in sci-fi. The success of ASOIAF and Harry Potter is changing that. Young genre writers are flooding into fantasy, and leaving sci-fi extremely underrepresented.

Truth is, with the exception of JRRT, some Brooks, Rowling, and now Martin, when it comes to speculative fiction, I've always enjoyed sci-fi more. Not because I don't like fantasy. I do. I just think the best writers tended to be in sci-fi. The success of ASOIAF and Harry Potter is changing that. Young genre writers are flooding into fantasy, and leaving sci-fi extremely underrepresented.

I read fantasy as what I call trash reading. I still see it as quick read non serious stuff. In reality is tired and old, Martin;s take on it was refreshing. Same with stuff like Clancy. I don't really read much SF, I used to. I really have no favorite genre though. The only one I dislike is horror. My favorite current book is the Baroque Cycle, Cyper punk inflected historical fiction, only because it was so strange and unlike anything else. The writing was basically horrible. Character driven, with great characters. I don't read near as much as I used to. Blame the internet. I used to always have a book in process.

I read fantasy as what I call trash reading. I still see it as quick read non serious stuff. In reality is tired and old, Martin;s take on it was refreshing. Same with stuff like Clancy. I don't really read much SF, I used to. I really have no favorite genre though. The only one I dislike is horror. My favorite current book is the Baroque Cycle, Cyper punk inflected historical fiction, only because it was so strange and unlike anything else. The writing was basically horrible. Character driven, with great characters. I don't read near as much as I used to. Blame the internet. I used to always have a book in process.
Although I personally enjoy both science fiction and fantasy, I can't abide by anything that is bad writing, no matter what genre. Meanwhile, I enjoy good writing, even if it's something I'd otherwise not be drawn to. My dad was a huge fan of mystery novels. I was never as big a fan as he was of the genre, but you put some John D. MacDonald or Lawrence Sanders in front of me, and I'll read all night long. Why? Because they had writing chops from here to Tuesday. Genre doesn't matter if an author knows WTF he's doing.

The same works with theme, too. Michael Crichton was a celebrated author, but State of Fear was roundly panned for being anti-science. Was it? Yes. But so was Jurassic Park and Sphere. The difference? Jurassic Park and Sphere were good stories, but State of Fear was a boring lecture in novel form. Good writing trumps all.

Story is part of good writing. I didn't mean the phrase to be taken to over-emphasize the more "technical" aspects of writing.
No need for disclaimers. I can reason no my own. vbg I almost wrote the same thing to you but in opposite. And, then thought, "goat doesn't need to be told that". When i described the above as horrible, I mean readable but not great, not illiterate. So, I get what you're saying.

No need for disclaimers. I can reason no my own. vbg I almost wrote the same thing to you but in opposite. And, then thought, "goat doesn't need to be told that". When i described the above as horrible, I mean readable but not great, not illiterate. So, I get what you're saying.
I'll read "readable" stuff. I'll even read terrible stuff. But then I'll give up on the author. I mean, I made it through one full Brad Thor novel, and it absolutely did not earn my finishing that piece of shit, but I did. I'll never read another thing he writes, even if he wins a Pulitzer (he won't), but I finished it.

Usually, I'll read stuff until I find something that just rocks, and then I'll read that entire author's library. Then I'll go back and read various authors until someone else really grabs my attention. Some authors never do, although they are good enough for me to go back to. I've read a number of Dean Koontz books, for example, but probably never two in a row. Just good enough to earn a second chance, but never good enough for me to chase down his other novels.

Not exactly new material, but have either of you ever gotten into the Dune series, by Frank Herbert? I can't help but think that they could make a really interesting movie with the special effects available and solid plot line (as opposed to the garbage movie made in the 80's or the tv series in 2000). It's obviously more along the sci-fi spectrum than it is fantasy though.

Not exactly new material, but have either of you ever gotten into the Dune series, by Frank Herbert? I can't help but think that they could make a really interesting movie with the special effects available and solid plot line (as opposed to the garbage movie made in the 80's or the tv series in 2000). It's obviously more along the sci-fi spectrum than it is fantasy though.
No, but speaking of that garbage movie, I have to admit one of my guilty pleasures.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Jesus Christ, dude.
018d9bbc82daf5efb7f68dd3c4e2be02.jpg

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
I suggest the Mythago Wood Cycle by Robert Holdstock.

Great mix of history / sci-fi/ fantasy /quantum physics (though at the time Holdstock did not know that's what he was writing)

I like reading wizard PI books..

Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. Not heavy reading but I enjoy it. Used to like Salvatore's dark elf stuff but has gotten terrible

One of Martin's annoying habits is to describe every meal in excruciatingly laborious detail. Every breakfast he gives his characters seems to have bacon or ham drippings.

Reactions: Moops
I am glad all you ****ing Hemingways could weigh in on how much George RR Martin sucks.

Please lead me to your bestsellers. I need something enjoyable to read since ASOIAF sucks so much.

Frigging jagoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT