ADVERTISEMENT

Good news! Students get free tickets! Bad news . . .

Hoosiers47614

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
Allen paid for those tickets himself because the school planned nothing, there is still no shuttle plan announced (UL is bussing students up), and they didn’t get this announced until the evening two days before the game, well after most interested students have likely already bought them.

How the **** did the AD screw this opportunity up so badly?! Just unbelievable incompetence, in the most charitable interpretation, or simply absolute disregard and negligence toward the program in the less forgiving (and probably more accurate) view.

FFS.

Allen paid for those tickets himself because the school planned nothing, there is still no shuttle plan announced (UL is bussing students up), and they didn’t get this announced until the evening two days before the game, well after most interested students have likely already bought them.

How the **** did the AD screw this opportunity up so badly?! Just unbelievable incompetence, in the most charitable interpretation, or simply absolute disregard and negligence toward the program in the less forgiving (and probably more accurate) view.

FFS.
I think even Ball State had busses for their students when we played them at LOS.

Sad.

I can see the university attorneys pushing back on providing busses for a bunch of students who are drinking before during and after.

Everything from puke to assault and the university ends up paying.

I can see the university attorneys pushing back on providing busses for a bunch of students who are drinking before during and after.

Everything from puke to assault and the university ends up paying.

Other universities do this type of transportation thing all the time. And, they don’t make the coach pay for the bus rides. It’s not like this is uncharted territory.
Most do not agree with me when I constantly use the “amateur hour” and “Mayberry” references to our athletic department but these type of podunk moves certain feed into that picture.
When you are brought up in an athletic culture that thinks small and is always on the cheap, as Dolson was groomed, it’s not difficult seeing why IU does this type of thing.

Dolson needs fired ASAP...How many times have I said he's a basketball cluck. The man can't spell football, sad!!

Scott wanted to reserve that money for spend on the bronze statue of Woody he’s going to unveil on the south concourse of Assembly Hall commemorating the incredible run last season to the 2nd round. Of the NCAA tourney.

Give basketball coach a million dollar raise….because he needs to unload his budget but make football coach pay for bus rides. Brilliant.

Other universities do this type of transportation thing all the time. And, they don’t make the coach pay for the bus rides. It’s not like this is uncharted territory.
Most do not agree with me when I constantly use the “amateur hour” and “Mayberry” references to our athletic department but these type of podunk moves certain feed into that picture.
When you are brought up in an athletic culture that thinks small and is always on the cheap, as Dolson was groomed, it’s not difficult seeing why IU does this type of thing.
I admit - you make a strong case.

Hard not to agree with your views here. We’ve had a parochial culture for decades (certainly in the Athletic Department), and it’s produced an increasing level of dysfunction as time has gone on. This is but one tiny symptom in a loooooong list of of small time thinking rooted in narrow perspectives that makes us look foolish.

Last edited:
The problem is nobody has to answer for this stuff. Maybe Jim Coyle could ask Tom Allen if he indeed paid for the student tickets out of his pocket? Get this out in the media. I'm sure if this get national exposure Scott will be forced to pay for this stuff.
What a cluster

Reactions: ESalum86

I noticed two examples of this at the OSU game, which I wrote about, and about which I want to go into more detail.

The first is that the Marching 100 has never been a 'football band' in my lifetime, which seemingly has worsened with the passing of Dave Woodley and Eric Smedley taking over his responsibilities. From reading about both men, Woodley was respected in the national marching band community....the basketball pep band has always been great.....but the 100? Not so much. Hard to believe that when the new guy took over he made no changes. The same routines, the same songs, the same crappy marching we've seen for 25 years. And now they sound worse. Reading about these guys....maybe they have too much on their plate? Maybe they are/were just two guys with no overriding ambition.

My second beef was with the newish, huge androgenous statute outside the south stadium of five 8 to 10 feet tall men and women giving a high 5 in their underwear. Here is a story about the statute:

I get the whole "team over self" mantra, and the statute is definitely a fine piece of art. Maybe the Millers didn't want a football-inspired statute directly outside the football stadium? Seems unlikely. So this is a product of the McRobbie-Glass-Dolson mentality. Put that thing in a nice little spot between the basketball arena and the football stadium. Outside the football stadium put a statute of Bo & Mallory, or Bo and Pihos, or Mallory and AT, or At & ARE. The George T. statute on the North side was a great touch. They blew the opportunity on the South side. Kudos to Glass on the statutes in the lobby of AH; too bad they didn't care enough to do the same thing for football.

Last edited:
I understand but I am also willing to wager that the attorneys would strongly advise against a fan bus.

FB promotion has never reached the level of minimum at IU. Success on the field is the goal. Creative, targeted promotion is 1 tool to assist reaching that goal. It needs to be a season long endeavor with ideas developing before the season starts but also a fluid enough to massage from game to game. Ssshht!

FB promotion has never reached the level of minimum at IU. Success on the field is the goal. Creative, targeted promotion is 1 tool to assist reaching that goal. It needs to be a season long endeavor with ideas developing before the season starts but also a fluid enough to massage from game to game. Ssshht!
Pu may not beat us on the field this year but they have beaten us in promoting the season already. They made a mountain out of a molehill regarding renovations to their dump and then prompted single tickets with pricing from $15 - $25 for adult seats.

They have two sellouts already and may sell out Wisky.

We need to really step up and do the same.

I understand but I am also willing to wager that the attorneys would strongly advise against a fan bus.
IU put together a bus trip for WBB at Purdue this year. I think they did last year, too.

This reminds me of the Independence Bowl a few years ago when the HT ran stories about Virginia Tech’s athletic dept offering reasonably priced travel packages while IU was only offering the usual overpriced packages. The AD, Doninger at the time, finally got off his butt and put together some more reasonably priced packages. Problem was, it was just 2-3 weeks before the game when most of us already made our travel plans.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This is systemic behavior and is rooted in the sleepy nature of the athletic department. There’s a price to being inexperienced, insular, and essentially devoid of a broader worldview that doesn’t extend beyond the borders of the state.

This is systemic behavior and is rooted in the sleepy nature of the athletic department. There’s a price to being inexperienced, insular, and essentially devoid of a broader worldview that doesn’t extend beyond the borders of the state.
Agree wholeheartedly. Been in some form of marketing/selling/consulting for a major amount of my working career. How could an IU AD, any or all of them, not have sold their boss on the need for a 'yearly' scholastic project coming out of Kelley promoting everything IUFB. It's a perishable resource left untapped. I'm sure there are other avenues available brought about by other opinions but I'll bet a worthy amount none could be cheaper. Jackskip23 you seem to be connected. Is there not 4 authoritative sets of ears in the administration who would gladly release the bulls tail and grab it instead by the horns? It won't be exclusively the answer but would I believe attract good support.

Reactions: Middawg
Agree wholeheartedly. Been in some form of marketing/selling/consulting for a major amount of my working career. How could an IU AD, any or all of them, not have sold their boss on the need for a 'yearly' scholastic project coming out of Kelley promoting everything IUFB. It's a perishable resource left untapped. I'm sure there are other avenues available brought about by other opinions but I'll bet a worthy amount none could be cheaper. Jackskip23 you seem to be connected. Is there not 4 authoritative sets of ears in the administration who would gladly release the bulls tail and grab it instead by the horns? It won't be exclusively the answer but would I believe attract good support.
Of our last five Athletic Directors (including Scott Dolson), only one had ever been involved in college athletic administration. Only one had ever hired a coach or been involved in the stewardship of any team within an athletic program. And the one guy with experience didn’t exactly have the greatest reputation, to say the least.

There’s a reason we’ve struggled in the two major sports during most of the time of those 5 ADs. Leadership matters and if you lack it, nothing else goes very well.

Leadership matters . . . It’s big stuff, it’s little stuff, it’s good hires, it’s program stewardship. It’s everything. Someday, hopefully, we’ll figure this out.
So Allen showed some leadership … and gave back to the student fan base … Yes it is a uninspiring that the AD didn’t plan for student support at a close neutral site game.

I didn’t see a lot of student support at the [Wilson] BSU game, either. Then again, Student interest at that time was poor, according to some students I knew from my kids‘ school whom I met at the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianiu
Of our last five Athletic Directors (including Scott Dolson), only one had ever been involved in college athletic administration. Only one had ever hired a coach or been involved in the stewardship of any team within an athletic program. By the way, three were pretty nice guys, one was as non-distinct as a person could be, one was sort of a prick, and the other was an enormous prick. Each had their unique skills but each also had huge holes in their games that were debilitating to IU.

Last edited:
So Allen showed some leadership … and gave back to the student fan base … Yes it is a uninspiring that the AD didn’t plan for student support at a close neutral site game.

I didn’t see a lot of student support at the BSU game, either. Then again, Student interest at that time was poor, according to some students I knew from my kids‘ school whom I met at the game.
If TA did that, it’s a great thing on his part.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
On our campus, we enjoy some of the brightest Marketing minds on the planet as well as some of the greatest musicians, composers and vocalists.

We tap into very little of either.

I spoke with Scott this morning about a lot of issues, but the lack of transportation for students to get to the game was the catalyst. Believe it or not, there are reasons why nothing was done, and several are good reasons. I told him that he has to understand that the “optics” are bad, and he gets that. I’m not going to get into arguing with everyone about busses to Indy, but there were reasons.
To anyone who thinks Scott Dolson only cares about basketball, you simply couldn’t be more wrong, and you clearly don’t know Scott. That said , I understand appearances, but he can’t help that he was a basketball manager, he is IU through and through. No one cares more about IU football than I do, trust me , if I felt Scott was a Bball “only” AD , I would be on the warpath. There are clearly numerous improvements to be made and I believe we are heading that direction , albeit slowly. It only takes money, NIL has changed everything, while facilities are important, NIL is now the driver. So if anyone has a spare several million laying around and you really want to help IU football ………NIL.
As to getting the Kelley school involved, I think that is great idea, and I will certainly pass it along. I talked with some business folks about that years ago, but nothing more, guess I always “assumed” there were reasons they weren’t tapping into the wisdom at Kelley, obviously bad assumption on my part.

I spoke with Scott this morning about a lot of issues, but the lack of transportation for students to get to the game was the catalyst. Believe it or not, there are reasons why nothing was done, and several are good reasons. I told him that he has to understand that the “optics” are bad, and he gets that. I’m not going to get into arguing with everyone about busses to Indy, but there were reasons.
To anyone who thinks Scott Dolson only cares about basketball, you simply couldn’t be more wrong, and you clearly don’t know Scott. That said , I understand appearances, but he can’t help that he was a basketball manager, he is IU through and through. No one cares more about IU football than I do, trust me , if I felt Scott was a Bball “only” AD , I would be on the warpath. There are clearly numerous improvements to be made and I believe we are heading that direction , albeit slowly. It only takes money, NIL has changed everything, while facilities are important, NIL is now the driver. So if anyone has a spare several million laying around and you really want to help IU football ………NIL.
As to getting the Kelley school involved, I think that is great idea, and I will certainly pass it along. I talked with some business folks about that years ago, but nothing more, guess I always “assumed” there were reasons they weren’t tapping into the wisdom at Kelley, obviously bad assumption on my part.
Thanks

Scott is a great guy as is Fred...warts and all.

Interested in if liability was any factor in the no bus situation? Just a guess on my part, but it seems logical.

Like Jackskip23 I appreciate your comeback. Just seems it to be a terrific and credible project mandated every year for someone to earn a grade with. But I near always think KISS.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Of our last five Athletic Directors (including Scott Dolson), only one had ever been involved in college athletic administration. Only one had ever hired a coach or been involved in the stewardship of any team within an athletic program. By the way, three were pretty nice guys, one was as non-distinct as a person could be, one was sort of a prick, and the other was an enormous prick. Each had their unique skills but each also had huge holes in their games that were debilitating to IU.
Gotcha.

Scott doesn't get optics. Did you ask Scott if TA purchased all the sturdent tickets for the game tomorrow?

Next time you speak with Scott, ask him why he gave Allen such a ridiculous contract. Serious question.

And yet I thought all the forum experts knew more than the ADs???? It's easy to bitch and moan about everything, yet no one knows what's going on most of the time. I appreciate posts like this.

Last edited:
And yet I thought all the forum experts knew more than the ADs???? It's easy to bitch and moan about everything, yet no one knows what's going most of the time. I appreciate posts like this.
Thank you, no truer words were ever spoken. Righting the IU football ship keeps Scott up at night, doesn’t mean every decision is correct, but it also doesn’t mean he doesn’t care, he does.

And yet I thought all the forum experts knew more than the ADs???? It's easy to bitch and moan about everything, yet no one knows what's going most of the time. I appreciate posts like this.
Bingo

I just laugh at so much of it.

He has no pull with the University or the Big Ten, it's obvious.

Thank you, no truer words were ever spoken. Righting the IU football ship keeps Scott up at night, doesn’t mean every decision is correct, but it also doesn’t mean he doesn’t care, he does.
Gotta agree that anyone who said he doesn’t care is crazy. With that said, I’m not sure he’s the guy to oversee the growth and sustained success of the program. He’s certainly not due all of the blame for where we are by a long shot but, if he ends up being the guy to lead the search for a successor to TA (should that ever be needed), I think there are legitimate concerns as to whether he can bring in the right guy.

As a rule I don't bash either our current or previous ADs, because I am not privy to inside information (for the most part), and I don't believe for one minute that either ever wanted anything less than maximum success for all sports at IU - football included. I think the sad state of IU football historically is the result of high school football not being deeply rooted in so many communities in Indiana, and the desire of the conference to focus first, foremost, and always on the success of the Big Two (maybe now three?) at the expense of the Little Eight (now eleven or twelve). Exhibit A being the moronic decision to move to nine conference games, and Exhibit B the damage done to the conference overall by scheduling conference games as the season opener for some (noting that never are OSU or UM pitted against PSU, MSU, Wisky, or Iowa in game one).

That said, I had a frustrating and disturbing encounter with the department this summer over the selection process for season tickets for Womens' BBall for this upcoming season. Without going into the long, detailed story, what bothered me most was the apparent lack of logic in the process. It was inconsistent with all ticketing practices in other major sports, and coming on the heels of the huge clusterfvck of crowd management at the end of last season it reflected an absolute lack of proactivity in anticipating demand. I also used the opportunity to address the continual problem of concession stand mismanagement for football, as well as the issue of basketball-only boosters buying and reselling prime seats for football. As we all know, this leads to opposing fans occupying prime seats in MS on gameday, while loyal season ticket holders and regular attendees like myself get pushed up and over any time the basketball team shows improvement.

While I don't think any of this is malicious or deliberate, it feels like the department consistently fails to properly debate and plan strategies to improve the management of ticketing and gameday procedures. It suggests laziness and amateurism and the old axiom that "failing to prepare is preparing to fail". That's what I see in this thread re: not looking for ways to maximize student attendance at LOS tomorrow. It makes me wonder how deeply this bleeds into other areas of athletic department purview. Patterns of laxness begin to look like neglect and incompetence.

I would add that the department was very quick to respond to my concerns and resolved my problem quickly and professionally, but I wonder if others with the same issues who didn't openly complain ( and threaten to cancel tickets and VC donations) got similar attention. It makes me wonder if there is really adequate oversight and accountability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT