ADVERTISEMENT

Good Luck to the Hoosiers from Maryland

At the moment, we need each other to be RPI good. BIG could use some more Q1 teams. Regardless of other teams getting better, I'm confident Maryland and IU will still be good. Both committed to fielding good national teams. See you next year.

At the moment, we need each other to be RPI good. BIG could use some more Q1 teams. Regardless of other teams getting better, I'm confident Maryland and IU will still be good. Both committed to fielding good national teams. See you next year.
Iowa will probably also be strong again next season and they return weekend starters Brody Brecht and Marcus Morgan, but will probably lose Langenburg to the draft as well as relievers Christopherson and Llewellyn. Their best hitter from a batting percentage standpoint, Keaton Anthony, was suspended over the gambling issue and didn't return and he will probably be drafted fairly high and be gone, but they did just fine without him. I really don't know about their position players outside of Anthony as to whom they might have back.

Maryland is a strong east coast recruiter, and they will be a popular destination for some of the better players in the portal. While they lose a lot of their offensive punch, they will probably just reload and have another strong team next season. I saw that their coach has been mentioned with a few of the warm weather jobs that are open, but he has a good situation at MD.

Tracy Smith dealt with a lot of player turnover at U-M this season as the new coach there, but they still had a good year although they faltered at the end of the season, and I expect them to be better next season.

Another team that usually has a strong team is Nebraska and they probably will lose two of the B1G's top players in Max Anderson and Bryce Matthews to the draft. Also look for them to lose their top pitcher, Emmett Olson, to the draft. I really don't know much about their situation outside of that as far as who is likely to return. The Huskers RPI hovered around the low end of the Q2 teams to the high end of the Q3 teams this past season, and they were hurt by a poor non-conference SOS, and probably could stand to beef that part of the schedule up.

The X factor in all of this is the portal and that makes predicting things for next season somewhat difficult.

Last edited:
Iowa will probably also be strong again next season and they return weekend starters Brody Brecht and Marcus Morgan, but will probably lose Langenburg to the draft as well as relievers Christopherson and Llewellyn. Their best hitter from a batting percentage standpoint, Keaton Anthony, was suspended over the gambling issue and didn't return and he will probably be drafted fairly high and be gone, but they did just fine without him. I really don't know about their position players outside of Anthony as to whom they might have back.

Maryland is a strong east coast recruiter, and they will be a popular destination for some of the better players in the portal. While they lose a lot of their offensive punch, they will probably just reload and have another strong team next season. I saw that their coach has been mentioned with a few of the warm weather jobs that are open, but he has a good situation at MD.

Tracy Smith dealt with a lot of player turnover at U-M this season as the new coach there, but they still had a good year although they faltered at the end of the season, and I expect them to be better next season.

Another team that usually has a strong team is Nebraska and they probably will lose two of the B1G's top players in Max Anderson and Bryce Matthews to the draft. Also look for them to lose their top pitcher, Emmett Olson, to the draft. I really don't know much about their situation outside of that as far as who is likely to return. The Huskers RPI hovered around the low end of the Q2 teams to the high end of the Q3 teams this past season, and they were hurt by a poor non-conference SOS, and probably could stand to beef that part of the schedule up.

The X factor in all of this is the portal and that makes predicting things for next season somewhat difficult.
The Terps' Rob Vaughn has been hired by Alabama. The Terps probably lose some of their firepower to the draft and who knows how this affects the rest of the roster along with recruits coming in. The Maryland job will be a very attractive job to some coach out there, but there will most certainly be some player fallout over it. It's something to watch as far as the portal goes.

Update: The Terps have already announced a new head coach and it's their associate head coach, Matt Swope, who has been associated with the program for a long time, and is a former Terps player.

Last edited:
Reactions: dconifer
The Terps' Rob Vaughn has been hired by Alabama. The Terps probably lose some of their firepower to the draft and who knows how this affects the rest of the roster along with recruits coming in. The Maryland job will be a very attractive job to some coach out there, but there will most certainly be some player fallout over it. It's something to watch as far as the portal goes.

Update: The Terps have already announced a new head coach and it's their associate head coach, Matt Swope, who has been associated with the program for a long time, and is a former Terps player.
The B1G has now lost three coaches since after the 2018 season to what are the two best conferences in the country. IU's Chris Lemonis departed after the 2018 season for Miss. St., Michigan's Eric Bakich left for Clemson after last year's season, and now Rob Vaughn to Alabama. It's not easy competing with the warm weather schools when it comes to recruiting and retaining top coaches. Now we have two warm weather programs in UCLA and USC coming into the conference and how that will affect the rest of the conference down the road remains to be seen. How they handle scheduling and a restructured (I assume) conference tourney also remains to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT