ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga getting handled by Texas

I wonder how that will work if Gonzaga joins the Big 12. It hasn't played football since 1941 and unlikely to resume the sport.

I wonder how that will work if Gonzaga joins the Big 12. It hasn't played football since 1941 and unlikely to resume the sport.
Is there talk of that? I don't see it working because the Big 12 is first and foremost a football conference. Without a good football program, or any football program, I'm just not sure what Gonzaga would add. Maybe they have a wider appeal in the PNW, but pulling in the Spokane/W WA TV market doesn't seem like a lure!

IU fans travel well and this one is not a long road trip. I expect that (IU fans traveling well) to especially be the case this year.
Yeah, but I think Xavier fans show up and it's not a big arena? How many seats would even be available? I'd guess demand will exceed supply.

Wouldn’t bet on it ;)
My rule has always been, at least for the last 20 years, always bet on IU at home and always bet against them on the road. It has served me well. I think we take UNC by 10 points.

Yeah, but I think Xavier fans show up and it's not a big arena? How many seats would even be available? I'd guess demand will exceed supply.
I agree with supply and demand, so it’s not going to be a cheap ticket. But how does that translate to the crowd makeup?

Welsh Ryan Arena is small, and it’s difficult to get seats unless you are going through a 3rd party. I try to make it there every year that we play. It’s a tougher ticket when we are good. I’m not sure it translates to less IU fans, they just pay more.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
pair of tickets behind IUs bench for about 700 each you in?

Texas probably won the game for a former uncle of mine who passed away a couple days ago! Ken Montgomery(Former Indiana All-Star/Silver anniversary team) Perry Meridian grad, who played a few years at Texas ‘79-‘82. Played alongside LaSalle Thompson! R.I.P.!

I agree with supply and demand, so it’s not going to be a cheap ticket. But how does that translate to the crowd makeup?

Welsh Ryan Arena is small, and it’s difficult to get seats unless you are going through a 3rd party. I try to make it there every year that we play. It’s a tougher ticket when we are good. I’m not sure it translates to less IU fans, they just pay more.
It's a tough ticket. Cintas seats a little over 10k, looks and feels similar to UD's arena but a tad smaller. They're passionate about their basketball. Went to a Crosstown Shootout years back, it gets loud.

Texas probably won the game for a former uncle of mine who passed away a couple days ago! Ken Montgomery(Former Indiana All-Star/Silver anniversary team) Perry Meridian grad, who played a few years at Texas ‘79-‘82. Played alongside LaSalle Thompson! R.I.P.!
RIP to the baller.

IU fans travel well and this one is not a long road trip. I expect that (IU fans traveling well) to especially be the case this year.
Don't have tickets but seriously considering taking the day and hitting Taft House, Urban Artifact and find somewhere to watch the game in Cincy.

Is there talk of that? I don't see it working because the Big 12 is first and foremost a football conference. Without a good football program, or any football program, I'm just not sure what Gonzaga would add. Maybe they have a wider appeal in the PNW, but pulling in the Spokane/W WA TV market doesn't seem like a lure!
Yes, I heard that discussed on a telecast recently. I thought the lack of a football program would keep the Zags from moving up to the Big 12 or the Pac 12. The Big East makes no sense due to the long travel.

It translates because of the demand part. In most years I'd wager there are far fewer NU fans that really want to go to the game, so whether IU fans are getting them through the school or resellers, the NU fans want to sell them because they don't really want to go to the game. That is why it often feels like so much of the crowd at NU is cheering for the Hoosiers: they are!

With Xavier, if their fans want to go, there will be a portion that just won't sell or even look into selling, and the ones who are willing to sell will want alot more $$, and there too fewer IU fans will be willing to spend the extra $$.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I remember Kenny Montgomery at Perry! My sister was 7 years older than me and graduated from PM in '76. They had a good team that year and I think got eliminated in the regional finals to go to the state Final 4. Can't remember if it was Richmond or Jeffersonville... Red Devils I remember as I went to the game, but would have probably been 9! Think Richmond.

Anyway, they had a good team and had another big guy that was good too, but don't remember his name. I think Montgomery was a really good pitcher and might be why he was at Texas? Sorry to hear he has passed away.

PS, I googled Kenny M and looks like he went to NC St for a year before xferring to Texas. Ironically while there he would have played with SHS grad (my HS) Jim Krivacs who was an AA there. Had they not split Perry and SHS; they'd have played together at SHS quite possibly and what a team that would have been! Guessing Kenny was in the first PMHS graduating class. Can't remember if my sister was, or it was '75.

Also found this link: Kevin Rostinkowski was the other guy I mentioned. He was probably the good pitcher!

Last edited:
Yes he did attend nc state he never talked about baseball though. He helped my basketball game a lot when I was in middle school, but unfortunately I stopped growing and switched to football! No way I was gonna play pg over Andre Owens when I got into high school! Im not sure Ken and his son Austin, my cousin may be the 1st father/son duo to be Indiana All-Stars! Not 100% on that though!

Reactions: kkott
Yes he did attend nc state he never talked about baseball though. He helped my basketball game a lot when I was in middle school, but unfortunately I stopped growing and switched to football! No way I was gonna play pg over Andre Owens when I got into high school! Im not sure Ken and his son Austin, my cousin may be the 1st father/son duo to be Indiana All-Stars! Not 100% on that though!
It was Rostenkowski. Googled it and it said he was drafted in the 4th round of the MLB draft, I think by the Giants. Didn't dig any deeper.

I remember Kenny Montgomery at Perry! My sister was 7 years older than me and graduated from PM in '76. They had a good team that year and I think got eliminated in the regional finals to go to the state Final 4. Can't remember if it was Richmond or Jeffersonville... Red Devils I remember as I went to the game, but would have probably been 9! Think Richmond.

Anyway, they had a good team and had another big guy that was good too, but don't remember his name. I think Montgomery was a really good pitcher and might be why he was at Texas? Sorry to hear he has passed away.

PS, I googled Kenny M and looks like he went to NC St for a year before xferring to Texas. Ironically while there he would have played with SHS grad (my HS) Jim Krivacs who was an AA there. Had they not split Perry and SHS; they'd have played together at SHS quite possibly and what a team that would have been! Guessing Kenny was in the first PMHS graduating class. Can't remember if my sister was, or it was '75.

Also found this link: Kevin Rostinkowski was the other guy I mentioned. He was probably the good pitcher!

You sure it was '76? I found this YT vid from '76 with PM v Rushville at Semi-State:

Or maybe it wasn't Regionals. I wouldn't think PM would meet up with Jefferson (they played in the EVV Regional from what I remembered as a kid) or Richmond until Semi-State.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoosierAlum07
You sure it was '76? I found this YT vid from '76 with PM v Rushville at Semi-State:

Or maybe it wasn't Regionals. I wouldn't think PM would meet up with Jefferson or Richmond until Semi-State.
Update to this. PM beat Brown County in the morning game at Semi-State, Rushville beat Richmond in their morning game. Obviously Rushville beat PM in the 1976 Semi-State championship. Kinda cool, you can find results in these IHSAA yearbooks:
https://legacy.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Yearbooks & Handbooks/1975-76_IHSAA.pdf

Reactions: kkott

Or maybe it wasn't Regionals. I wouldn't think PM would meet up with Jefferson (they played in the EVV Regional from what I remembered as a kid) or Richmond until Semi-State.
I think you're right and that's the year. I was 10 and just mis-remembered I guess!

Reactions: wi_hoosier
Update to this. PM beat Brown County in the morning game at Semi-State, Rushville beat Richmond in their morning game. Obviously Rushville beat PM in the 1976 Semi-State championship. Kinda cool, you can find results in these IHSAA yearbooks:
https://legacy.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Yearbooks & Handbooks/1975-76_IHSAA.pdf
Very cool, thanks for posting! I ran cross country and Southport won state that year too! Cool to see my old Coach and some alums that I knew who used to come back and run with us too! Rudy Chapa won that year and went on to Oregon, right after Steve Prefontaine's death.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
Very cool, thanks for posting! I ran cross country and Southport won state that year too! Cool to see my old Coach and some alums that I knew who used to come back and run with us too! Rudy Chapa won that year and went on to Oregon, right after Steve Prefontaine's death.
Yeah, have to admit when I found it I lost about 2 hours of my day thumbing through different times my school went deep into tourneys in football and baseball. Some of the scores and teams that I played along the way shocked me a bit. I just didn't remember them at all :)

Yes, I heard that discussed on a telecast recently. I thought the lack of a football program would keep the Zags from moving up to the Big 12 or the Pac 12. The Big East makes no sense due to the long travel.
About as much sense as UCLA and USC traveling to Rutgers

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT