ADVERTISEMENT

Gonna miss JG.

I've acknowledged, countless times, that he's improved our program since he got here. But that consistency has been what has held his teams back.

I'm not sure Woody has actually "accomplished" a ton more than Archie did, at this point, but it can't be argued whether IU is in a better spot now than at any time in Archie's tenure.
There's no question that he's done better, with the same. But we can't be sure that we are better... I want to invoke a TMP response, but I am sure this makes sense in your mind. somehow. I hope it does... You don't have any guns in the house do you?

There's no question that he's done better, with the same. But we can't be sure that we are better... I want to invoke a TMP response, but I am sure this makes sense in your mind. somehow. I hope it does... You don't have any guns in the house do you?
What??

We've won a few more games, and Woody took his first two teams to the NCAA tournament. We're in a better spot than we ever were with Archie.

But 9-11, Play in Game, Blown at in 1st round...then 12-8, blown out loss in 2nd round...maybe I'm getting hung up on the word "accomplished"...?? Compared to where we've been, and compared to what Archie did, I guess they are accomplishments. Not sure I'd set them on the mantle though.

Also...he didn't have the "same" kids in either season as Archie. He had a lot of the same kids, but added some key transfers and freshman.

JG is man without a position at this level. Hope the best for him. Had he developed more of a handle and some kind of mid-range game it would have helped. As it was, his shooting and scoring fell off and worse still he couldn't stop fouling.
I think for me the biggest problems JG had were defensive positioning and excessive fouling.

If you go of the portal ranking on 247 Ware is #2, Ledlum like #25, and Dalton K was lik #7. Bates and JG were way down the list in like the 70's so not really that highly sought after it looks like but I am sure they will catch on with some power team just may not play much.
In my bones...I feel like TB can play at a high level...I hope he finds a fit. He may still blossom into a fine college player and ... even ... find a pay day beyond.

In my bones...I feel like JG is at an inflection point in his athletic career...and should consider programs where he can go and play...and get his degree.

What??

We've won a few more games, and Woody took his first two teams to the NCAA tournament. We're in a better spot than we ever were with Archie.

But 9-11, Play in Game, Blown at in 1st round...then 12-8, blown out loss in 2nd round...maybe I'm getting hung up on the word "accomplished"...?? Compared to where we've been, and compared to what Archie did, I guess they are accomplishments. Not sure I'd set them on the mantle though.

Also...he didn't have the "same" kids in either season as Archie. He had a lot of the same kids, but added some key transfers and freshman.
Yes it’s the word accomplished. Not only have we stepped past the Archie ceiling, the “feel” of the program (fans, talking heads…) has also taken a step forward.
Are we satisfied with stopping at this level of achievement, oh heck no. But you can’t rob them of making progress. TIA

Reactions: Beorik and asindc
Yes it’s the word accomplished. Not only have we stepped past the Archie ceiling, the “feel” of the program (fans, talking heads…) has also taken a step forward.
Are we satisfied with stopping at this level of achievement, oh heck no. But you can’t rob them of making progress. TIA
Woodson has been pretty honest that he's learning as he goes. We're trending upward where things went the other way for Archie.

For me the 24/25 season will be the real test for him. He needs to bring his recruits along so we're competing for the conference title at that point regardless of what happens with the portal. And if we compete for the conference title we're automatically a natty contender.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
In my bones...I feel like TB can play at a high level...I hope he finds a fit. He may still blossom into a fine college player and ... even ... find a pay day beyond.

In my bones...I feel like JG is at an inflection point in his athletic career...and should consider programs where he can go and play...and get his degree.
Good point. Maybe 35 minutes a game for two seasons is just what he needs.

Sorry, I meant Geronimo.
I think, sadly, that Bates me just not be as strong a D1 player as we all had hoped.
Well we're on opposite sides on these players...and I hope we're both right!

Perhaps they both find a place to play 35 minutes a game...and we're both right.

I just root for these kids honestly.

(I hope that made sense. I'd like to see both of them succeed.)

Reactions: Jssanto
Sorry, I meant Geronimo.
I think, sadly, that Bates me just not be as strong a D1 player as we all had hoped.
I think Bates does have the D1 skill that we all expected. It's my feeling that life got in the way, at the wrong time and he just couldn't pull it all together between the ears with the bright lights and MAJOR expectations that were set for him. There is a really good possibility (I pray) that what he needs is a "Change your geography, maybe you might be" a super star, type of moment (lifted from Zach Brown).

Reactions: 76-1 and h20pls
I think Bates does have the D1 skill that we all expected. It's my feeling that life got in the way, at the wrong time and he just couldn't pull it all together between the ears with the bright lights and MAJOR expectations that were set for him. There is a really good possibility (I pray) that what he needs is a "Change your geography, maybe you might be" a super star, type of moment (lifted from Zach Brown).
I agree/

A child changes everything. It sounds like he has a great support network...I hope he can balance something that seems inconceivable to me...a child and the work required to be an elite talent...and jeepers...being elite at something takes a lot of effort...and being a good parent takes as much effort and more time.

Wishing nothing but the best for the kid.

I agree/

A child changes everything. It sounds like he has a great support network...I hope he can balance something that seems inconceivable to me...a child and the work required to be an elite talent...and jeepers...being elite at something takes a lot of effort...and being a good parent takes as much effort and more time.

Wishing nothing but the best for the kid.
I said this from the start and realize stuff happens but putting himself in that position to start his freshman yr was a really bad move

I said this from the start and realize stuff happens but putting himself in that position to start his freshman yr was a really bad move
You ever made any "bad moves"? Ever? C'mon man. Most of us know that during a certain stage of life, there is a VERY narrow line that has to be walked and a huge part of success is NOT getting lucky within a few certain days of the month. C'mon man.

You ever made any "bad moves"? Ever? C'mon man. Most of us know that during a certain stage of life, there is a VERY narrow line that has to be walked and a huge part of success is NOT getting lucky within a few certain days of the month. C'mon man.
Didn't make that one that puts you behind the 8 ball especially in his situation. I have little doubt it was a factor in his performance on the court

Didn't make that one that puts you behind the 8 ball especially in his situation. I have little doubt it was a factor in his performance on the court
There's zero doubt to me that it did. But your post, as an older person that has been through the bumper pool chances of life, your post came off a lot Holier than thou. You got lucky. I got lucky. I can't throw extreme question on Tamar for a eff up that will end up being the best thing of his life, EVER. It's not the same as delivering a gun to a murder scene.
You and I are 99.9% aligned, but maybe not on this one thing is all.

I was glad to see Scoop leave, but I was equally disappointed to see JG leave. I really liked his upside and passion for Indiana basketball.
I wasn’t glad to see Scoop leave. It meant he didn’t live up to expectations. It it’s probably best for both he and the team.

As for JG, I also hate to see him leave. I still like he has some real potential and he showed it when RT went down with an injury. I think he will be better next year and with the right landing spot he could be a double double type player his senior year. Of course with some of the bone headed things he did, he could be a total dud. Hope he does well.

Being ugly and stupid worked out well for you in this case.

I've acknowledged, countless times, that he's improved our program since he got here. But that consistency has been what has held his teams back.

I'm not sure Woody has actually "accomplished" a ton more than Archie did, at this point, but it can't be argued whether IU is in a better spot now than at any time in Archie's tenure.
What? Archie never made the NCAA tournament or finished in the top half of the BIG. Is that argument a joke? That argument has no evidence to stand on. Yes, Woodson has a ways to go but Archie's tenure was terrible and that's why he got fired.

Reactions: 76-1
I wasn’t glad to see Scoop leave. It meant he didn’t live up to expectations. It it’s probably best for both he and the team.

As for JG, I also hate to see him leave. I still like he has some real potential and he showed it when RT went down with an injury. I think he will be better next year and with the right landing spot he could be a double double type player his senior year. Of course with some of the bone headed things he did, he could be a total dud. Hope he does well.
He is going to be a senior the "potential" is what you say when a guy is a freshman. He will never ever be a double double guy unless it a very low tier D 1 program. He just isnt that good period.

What? Archie never made the NCAA tournament or finished in the top half of the BIG. Is that argument a joke? That argument has no evidence to stand on. Yes, Woodson has a ways to go but Archie's tenure was terrible and that's why he got fired.
Archie had an NCAA tournament team the Covid year...to be fair. But overall, he didn't do anything at IU.

Having said that, what exactly are you disagreeing with on my post?

Archie had an NCAA tournament team the Covid year...to be fair. But overall, he didn't do anything at IU.

Yes, the AM era was a bust. No doubt.

The narrative here is that Woody took over a total dumpster fire and make remarkable progress, which started in his first year. However, there are some pretty reasonable similarities b/t that Covid year and Woodys first:

2020 20-12 / 9-11
Ken Pom 34th. 26th in D 65th in O
2022 21-14 / 9-11
Ken Pom 48th. 24th in D 95th in O

Btw, this year we ended up KP 30, shot up to 28th in O, and slipped to 45th in D (I know X was hurt).

Edit: Don’t think I forgot about how bad AMs last season was.

Neither was I
Don't sweat it. His posts tell you and everyone exactly who he is. He brags and brags and brags, then insults people who aren't like-minded. I mean, how many times has he bragged about cozying up to Tamar's dad ... or how brilliant he is for his "Romeo is terrible" and "Bates will be one and done" takes? The list of such statements is seemingly endless. In short, he's a wanna keyboard warrior with no bullets ... and the quintessential "look at me Louie." Oh well, at least he's a legend ... in his own mind.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Yes...

Tons of workouts aimed towards it.

And more importantly, technique, recognition, teaching proper angles and approach will help dramatically as well.
You know well what Allen Iverson said right? Practice? Practice? Are you kidding me? Practice?

Don't sweat it. His posts tell you and everyone exactly who he is. He brags and brags and brags, then insults people who aren't like-minded. I mean, how many times has he bragged about cozying up to Tamar's dad ... or how brilliant he is for his "Romeo is terrible" and "Bates will be one and done" takes? The list of such statements is seemingly endless. In short, he's a wanna keyboard warrior with no bullets ... and the quintessential "look at me Louie." Oh well, at least he's a legend ... in his own mind.
Felt cute, might delete later. Should I add that to your signature?

"I'm not sure Woody has actually "accomplished" a ton more than Archie did, at this point,"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT